Need for Speed Rivals
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Change
Price:$17.40 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
After having NFS: Rivals for the PS4 on launch day, I decided to get NFS: Rivals for the PS3 through Gamefly to see the differences.

And they are stark.

- On the PS4, there is no lag whatsoever. The game runs smoothly with no pop-in. On the PS3, oncoming traffic will pop in giving you next to no time to avoid it if you are going in the oncoming lane (which is quite common), causing you to crash. There is significant pop-in/draw distance as is true of other racing games (GT5 in particular) on the PS3.
- Graphically, there is no comparision, as one would expect. Everything looks significantly better on the PS4.
- As for the gameplay, the PS4 controller not only allows for better control, but also the inputs are real-time. You also don't get the "dead zone" with the analog sticks like you have with the PS3 Dualshock.

Now, as for the game itself:
- It's open world, in that you can drive on any road in the map without being in an event, but if you're expecting NFS: Most Wanted or Burnout Paradise levels of activity you may be disappointed, as it only extends to jumps and speed cameras/zones. There are no billboards/gates to smash and generally less areas to explore compared to those other 2 games.
- You can play as a cop or a racer; the cop path is significantly easier to progress through than the racer path (you unlock a new car with each speedlist you compelte), and the events are generally easier as well. So until you get accustomed to the control, I recommend being the cop.
- AllDrive is the new feature in the game, which seamlessly connects the single player game for up to 6 people at one time. This means you could be the cop, encounter another human players race, and be able to bust them. You also earn additional speedpoints while you are in the AllDrive mode (it'll turn green). However, the aforementioned lag comes into play in these situations and is definitely noticeable.

Bottom line:
- If you only have a PS3, this isn't as good as Most Wanted or Hot Pursuit, in terms of overall content (MW) and actual gameplay (HP).
- If you have a PS4, while this right now is the only racing game for it, it is the superior version of the two games, in all aspects.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2013
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
If you have a PS4, or if you ever plan on getting a PS4, then do not buy the PS3 version

If you never plan on getting a PS4, then I strongly advise you to wait until this game is on sale ($20 or less) before you buy this. Buy Most Wanted or Hot Pursuit if you don't own those titles.

First of all, the graphics are horrible. It's so bad that the conspiracy theorist in me thinks Ghost/Criterion/EA/whoever nerfed the graphics on purpose to try and get people to buy a PS4. I felt like I was playing a PS2 game. I should not spend $60 on a video game in 2013 and see pixels all over the place. The cars are pixels. The trees are pixels. Everything is pixels. Most Wanted is beautiful. This game takes me back to NFS II on windows 95.

Second, and hopefully this is just a PS3 thing, the car-spawning is atrocious. I think others have touched on this as well. Cars pop up at the last second and this is annoying in a game where you are switching your focus from the road, to the mini map in the corner to make sure you are staying on course.

Third, the game constantly lags randomly and it will drop you from an online game completely all the time. I'm not sure if there even is an offline mode.

All of the horribleness taken into account, I still found the game kinda fun. The handling is the best out of any NFS game I've played. I also appreciate that they've made the game more realistic. You're not doing 100 mph in 2.5 seconds anymore. I completed racer mode (seriously who wants to be a cop anyway?) in a few days, but I am returning this game to Amazon for a full refund and I'll wait until I buy the PS4 to pick up this title again
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 25, 2013
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
I will preface by saying I have always loved the Need For Speed games. They were my favorite racing games so without hesitation I bought Rivals for the PS3.
First off, there is no way to customize the controls. This is the first game where I have not been given the option to customize or at least choose from a few defaults. In this game, you are stuck with the way they think you should have to use the controls. I found the controls to be annoying. It feels foreign using L2 an R2 to brake and accelerate. Yes, they had gone to this in last year's The Run, but you did have the option of changing it. I did promptly in it. Not so in this game. Maybe others will enjoy the controls as is, but I did not. So much so that is really affected my ability to enjoy the game. If the controls don't feel comfortable, it is hard to enjoy a game.
Second, the graphics are lousy. Like others have mentioned, they aren't the quality that you would expect in a $60 PS3 game. This isn't some one off indi game. This is EA. There's no excuse for it. EA really dropped the ball here.
Also, the lag is awful. It really affects game play and causes problems with crashing.
Lastly there's the game play. I don't enjoy the goals it sets or that at times I'm required to play as the cop. I buy the game for the racing aspect and have no interest in playing the cop chase portion. It would be nice if they would go back to making it the players choice what they want to play as. No, I'm not getting the complete game's experience by just playing one side, but not all of us are hardcore gamers who are in it to explore every aspect of the game. Some of us just want to sit down and play a fun game.
After playing for a little bit, I took the game back. It's the worst NFS game I have played. It was not worth $60.
on January 28, 2014
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
I really tried to convince myself that i could enjoy this latest installment in the franchise but the longer I played the more disappointed I became. Two things stood out for me, the first being the obvious lack of effort to make this version for the PS3 as visually appealing as it is for the PC and PS4 versions. I own a copy of the PC version and it outshines in the visual category compared to the PS3. The overall lack luster graphics made it difficult to play the game for extended periods because of the graininess and pixelation, I kept hoping that somehow the screen would clear up after sometime of game-play.

The second reason being the inability to enjoy a race or chase without oncoming traffic popping up out of nowhere, in many instances. it happened often enough to take the joy out of experiencing the games name sake "SPEED". I have purchased Need for Speed Hot Pursuit,The Run,Shift and Most Wanted for the PS3, it makes one wonder about the rational concerning the downgrade on areas that obviously make this latest rendition unappealing for loyal fans of the series and the PS3. Wait until you can afford a PS4 and the PS4 version of this game.
on November 25, 2013
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
The graphics on the PS3 version are horrible. The last two games (The Run and Most Wanted) are significantly better. For $60 this is NOT acceptable. The game play is very similar to Hot Pursuit 2 which is good but I can't get over the poor graphics. I'm a long time Need for Speed fan and I'll be thinking twice before buying another. Get a cheap copy of Need for Speed the Run if you haven't tried that because that is much better than this game.

Edit: Raise my score up from 1 to 3 because Amazon dropped the PS3 price and refunded me $20. For $40 it isn't a great deal but now it's worth a look.

I finished the racer campaign. There are a decent amount of glitches in this game. The last race in the racer version was 25 miles long. With 4 miles left the game said it was migrating hosts but let me finish/win the race. It showed that it was completed on the map but it wasn't when loaded that part of the map again. WTF is that about? Now I have to do it again. Can't they handle server migrations correctly? Who the hell coded this game? Server migration seems to happen a lot. There is also a glitch in one particular spot on the map. When you hit this spot the game freezes for about 5 seconds EVERY SINGLE TIME. I have also had issues signing into the servers (~40% of the time). The game will say that I have to be signed into Playstaion Network but I AM! This doesn't appear to affect the single player campaigns.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2013
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
Played the game for 8-10 hours and this review is based on the impressions so far. For background, I own the last 3 games - Hot Pursuit, The Run and Most Wanted.

The graphics are a downgrade from the last two NFS games Most Wanted and The Run. The Most Wanted had wonderful graphics but this one has graphics similar to Hot Pursuit, and that game released in 2010. The graphics complaint could be limited to just the PS3 and the 360 versions because the gameplay videos on YouTube for PS4 are way better than the graphics I see in the PS3 gameplay.

Steering Controls are pretty good as you expect every NFS game to have, most of the other controls are exactly like Hot Pursuit. No awful resets like those in The Run.

The menu is simple, you have repair shops that will refill the ammo and repair the vehicle at the same time (similar to Most Wanted) and a command center if you want to switch cars. You could join an existing pursuit as a Cop or a racer if you are playing online and the GPS navigation to any spot on the map is pretty easy.

There are still some bugs that need to be fixed, the game froze 2-3 times in the 8 hours of play to the point where PS3 needs to be hard reset. Traffic appears out of really nowhere sometimes (almost like the "Disapparation" from Harry Potter's books). If you are online and there are not enough players you would be disconnected from the current session and all the players are migrated to a different session, it is annoying when you are chasing a racer and the players chooses to leave the event but that could be automatically fixed as more players start playing.

The thing I miss the most in the last NFS game (i.e. Most Wanted) is to play as a cop and chase racers; I would be thrilled if they could somehow enable the cop mode as a DLC for Most Wanted but I don't think that is happening. This game might as well be called Hot Pursuit 2.0 but that is not a complaint for people (like me) who enjoyed Hot Pursuit.

I would advice one to skip the PS3 version and just buy a PS4 or XBox One version if you are planning an upgrade soon. If you have no plans to upgrade, then you could wait for some price drop on the PS3 version.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 24, 2014
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
Well, I like this game but it should have been better. I just bought my PS3 and I bought this game with it because I really like racing games.

I like the city where you drive and the surroundings but at the same time I don't like the lag and the noticeable drop in the frame rate. You notice this very often when driving into graphics intensive area of the map or when having so many cars together at the same place.

The All-drive feature is good and it blends in multiplayer with single player but at the same time it is difficult to play with another human. The map is very big for you to easily find one. You can always go inside a hideout and then out again, but this takes significant loading time.

There should be some sort of a way to get instantly with other players on a specific task, like busting a racer.

I think the game needs to be better optimized for the PS3, it is not even near the smoothness I experience while playing Need For Speed Hot Pursuit. Making a game that runs on both the PS3 and the PS4 does not mean to make the experience that inferior on the PS3.
on December 3, 2013
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
I own all NFS games and this was the biggest let down especially since it's the latest on the market. The graphics are poor and glitchy. I really have nothing good to say about this game. The best NFS game in my opinion is Most Wanted and the graphics are better on that and its 3 years old??
on November 10, 2014
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
There are NFS games like Most Wanted, Undercover, and even Underground 2 that I keep going back and going back to play because they're just so fun and I like the map and want to keep improving my times. And then there are those NFS games that are fun to play for a few weekends and then I get bored with them and if I do go back and play them again, it's on a very limited basis. This title is definitely more of the latter. Is it fun, sure. Are the graphics good, yeah. But other than the desert stages of the map, most of its pretty blah. There isn't enough going on other than the online play. Which makes me wonder, what's going to happen in the near future when no one is online playing this game? There is no independent single player campaign, you are always online with other racers, which I don't like. I usually like to play through and complete the single player campaign and then play a little online competition until I've had my fill. But with this game if you play as a racer you always are on the lookout for the police which can initiate a chase with you even if you aren't currently doing anything wrong. If you want to "free roam" in peace, you can only do this as a cop, and the number of cars you get as a cop or racer for that matter is pretty limited. Thank God atleast for the Ferraris! But why no tuners?

If they wanted to create a game where you are always online, they should have borrowed from Test Drive Unlimited 2's idea that you are online all the time with other racers, but you can free roam and the police only come after you if you're breaking the law in front of them.

So whilst the game is fun in a gimmicky sort of way like Hot Pursuit (2010) was, it's not one of the better NFS titles. And in probably less than 20 hours of playtime, I've been disconnected numerous times - which is another problem trying to have everyone online all the time vs. having offline play.
on August 22, 2014
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
3 WORDS....Fast, Faster, Fastest funtastic PS3 game ever. Never thought I'd have so much fun running from the police or being one involved in a high speed chase.