5.0 out of 5 stars Great racing game for racing fans and non-racing fans alike
Published 10 months ago by Stephen

Published 7 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Gameplay can be fun, but cloud saves and network issues create a huge disappointment, February 13, 2014
Amazon Customer (Schaumburg, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Need for Speed Rivals - Xbox One (Video Game)
I received this game as a gift, and I liked playing it for a couple of weeks. The NPCs have OK AI when racing against you or chasing you as the cops. The mix of NPCs and human players online is OK, too. The map is fairly large, with quite a few races that allow multiple routes from start to finish. It is a decent game, until you run into problems with the online "features".

A couple of days into playing the game, I started to notice that I was frequently being disconnected from an online game (the default gameplay mode), often times in the middle of a race. My game would be migrated to another host. These came out of the blue, no warnings. Soon, these host migrations became too frequent for me to tolerate. I would get disconnected three or more times within a 15-minute period. I would usually give up playing after the second or third disconnect in a game session. I started playing the game in single player mode to avoid the disconnects. You lose the ability to play against other humans online, but at least you can finish a longer race without interruption.

Then I got hit with the cloud save bug. My save game had reverted to a state from a week before, losing any progress saved between then and now. After checking into a hide out or command post to save my progress, and even after restarting my Xbox One and seeing that the progress had been saved, I lost several ranks in both Racer and Cop story lines on a subsequent system restart.

EA tech support told me that they were having a temporary issue with cloud saves and that they would restore the game. They lied. Checking the EA forums shows that this "temporary" issue is apparently a known bug (even if EA denies it) that has been reported several times since November by numerous players. Any suggestions in the forums for this bug have yielded no results (users claiming to have fixed it later find out the hard way they did not). And now Ghost has laid off employees. Essentially, it looks like consumers are getting the shaft from EA (again).

If you have a physical disc, at least you might be able to recoup a few bucks from GameStop or reselling the game yourself. If you bought the digital download, it appears you are out of luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great racing game for racing fans and non-racing fans alike, November 24, 2013
This review is from: Need for Speed Rivals - Xbox One (Video Game)
I'm not the world's biggest racing game fan, but I've always had a soft spot for the Need for Speed Hot Pursuit / Most Wanted games. The cop vs. racer dynamic has always struck me as infinitely more compelling than "5 people driving to get to point A to see who gets there first." Need for Speed Rivals takes all that I've known and loved about past NFS cop / racer games and makes it that much better using the power of next-gen consoles.

First off, the graphics. The game is beautiful. Moisture on the cars after bad weather, explosive accidents, crazy lighting / reflections, insane particle effects, etc. You can go on and on about the graphics but it's no surprise how good they look since the game runs on DICE's Frostbite 3 engine. If you play Battlefield, you'll probably smile as you drive by trees or bust through a fence in NFS since the effects are more or less identical to crushing a fence in Battlefield. Frostbite 3 - feel free to power as many games of mine as you want because you're beautiful .

The game also has a ton to do when you're not just staring at it. I haven't quite wrapped my head around every feature yet, but I really like the open world dynamic and how you can choose to be a cop / racer and approach different lists and objectives as you see fit. Autolog is back (not sure if it's still called that anymore, might just be Speed Wall) that is constantly updating you with your top speeds and times and comparing it to your friends, which is great incentive to keep playing. I think your open world experience is supposed to be integrated with other humans (think GTA V online) but so far, I've been the only one in all my play sessions. Probably due to the fact that the X1 has only been out for 48 hours.

Overall, Need for Speed is a great racing game for racing fans and non-racing fans alike. There's a lot to see and do here whether you're really into cars or not, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to change up their first person shooter / sports menu with a high-speed, dynamic racing experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor for Xbox One players, February 17, 2014
This review is from: Need for Speed Rivals - Xbox One (Video Game)
This game would get my full 5 stars...if it worked properly.

However, there is a known bu--reported by many Xbox One users, and possibly PS4--where your progress will not save. This is likely due to the cloud saving system EA chose to employ.

In short, every time you play, you are gambling as to whether our not your progress and leveling will actually save. Until EA fixes this, RFS:Rivals belongs in the bargain bin. However, since it's been months since release, odds are they aren't going to fix it.

** Google this: "My Progress on my profile have been erased XBOX ONE" and you'll the the forum of shame where this issue has been reported many times and EA has refused to resolve it.**

5.0 out of 5 stars NFS series had some hits and stinkers over the years - This one is a keeper!, December 1, 2013
This review is from: Need for Speed Rivals - Xbox One (Video Game)
I’ve been playing NFS games for the better part of 20 years now and the series has been a mixed bag of good and bad over that time. The titles that shined have always captured the fun of high speed chases with “bad guys” and cops with multiple branching paths and plenty of destructible environments. Past versions like Most Wanted and the recent Hot Pursuit were great fun while others like Underground and The Run failed to hit the mark.
I had no idea which side of the coin the newest NFS: Rivals would fall coming as a launch title for the new systems. Obviously I was hoping for cutting edge graphics but NFS has to get the gameplay right to capture my attention. I am happy to say that this game plays fantastic, is one of the most solid playing launch titles, and is one of the few that even spectator family and friends can enjoy watching or passing about the controller.
As you likely have read, you can play either as a street racer on the wrong side of the law or as an officer of it. Opinions will vary, but I found playing a cop not only more fun but also much easier. The tools you are given are fun to use and your objectives are always clear. I have had plenty of frustrations playing the bad guy as you can easily lose the earnings you are banking by getting busted along the way.
The true crowning achievement of this game is how everything seamlessly comes together between your progression and online play with others. There is always something to do (at your option) or you can just drive about learning all the branching paths available in this huge open world of a variety of environmental beauty from snowcapped mountains to lush forests to cities.
While this game falls into the arcade racer category – do not conclude it’s a simple game to play. I found the challenge to be higher than average with plenty of “re-do’s” on even the beginning chapters. Thankfully it’s not to the point of frustration nor do you feel like the game robbed you by utilizing cheap AI tactics. Maybe the best thing I can say about the game is you will finding yourself saying – “just let me take one more try”.
Final verdict – Every new XB1/PS4 owner should add NFS:R to their playlist as it offers plenty of madcap yet challenging fun that stays true to the legacy of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 players, January 15, 2014
This review is from: Need for Speed Rivals - Xbox One (Video Game)
Love playing it, just wish you could play 2 ppl in same household that's the only complain I had. Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars A great twist on racing games., December 1, 2013
This review is from: Need for Speed Rivals - Xbox One (Video Game)
Absolutely amazing. This is a great mix between a racing game and an open-world concept. It has been extremely enjoyable so far, and it is easily digestible. The game gives you some freedom to choose how you want to play, much more than classic racers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unplayable due to progess saving bugs, March 3, 2014
Honest Mike (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Need for Speed Rivals - Xbox One (Video Game)
The game's autosave feature does not work resulting in hours of gameplay and progression disappearing. EA and Ghost have done nothing to fix this and I haven't played in over a month because of this.

Ignoring the fact that anything you do will most likely not be saved, NFS:Rivals is mostly fun and enjoyable. However there are additional annoyances that frustrate me while playing. While being pursued by a cop the pursuit music takes over and can not be turned off. The pursuit music is a highly repetitive soundtrack that gets very annoying very quickly especially during long chases.

I would strongly recommend against buying this game. Rent it if you are a big NFS fan or just wait for the next one that isn't developed by Ghost.

1.0 out of 5 stars First bad review for anything on Amazon, December 30, 2013
For Xbox One:

This game is pure garbage. It is a bug-ridden nightmare, neither me or my nine-year-old son has the patience to endure the camera suddenly panning around the car during a chase or race, forcing us to lose control of the car. Want to play with someone in the same room (i.e. split screen)? Sorry, we don't let you do that. Want to play alone/singleplayer? No, go ahead and wait 5 minutes at the loading screen so it connects to an EA server and then connects to another player's Xbox who will act as host (no dedicated servers). When they decide to stop playing you will get paused in the middle of what you are doing while a host migration occurs. This only seems to happen at the worst possible moment (much like the camera bug) and happens regularly.

A terrible implementation of a game that could have been so good. As usual, EA proves that the customer doesn't matter, once you've purchased their over-promised piece of garbage, you're stuck, thanks for the bucks. Very sad.

December 30th and these bugs still exist. We will have given up on the game before the dopes at EA get a bug fix in place and an update available. Thanks for ripping us off by releasing a (barely) beta version of what used to be a great game, EA. You stink!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile though repetitive, February 25, 2014
Vdub (Saratoga Springs, UT, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Need for Speed Rivals - Xbox One (Video Game)
I put about 10 hours into each of the cop and racer careers, which was just enough to 1000/1000 the game's achievements. It was my first Xbox One game and it was a pretty decent one to start with, but far from the best racing game I've played.

[+] The graphics are really cool, but only barely noticeably better than racing games I have on my Xbox 360. Have we plateaued with car graphics?
[+] The careers give you lots of short-term objectives to work towards which make it a lot easier to keep playing for longer than you expect. It is addictive at times when you are always so close to meeting another goal.
[+] I really like being able to drive around in a large open world with other racers, though you can also play offline if you wish.
[+] Vehicle "pursuit tech" and upgrades are not a new feature or idea, but they are nonetheless fun ways to be rewarded for playing and earning points

[-] The 3-4 different types of events for each "faction" get repetitive and don't offer too much variety.
[-] I found the racer career significantly less fun and more annoying than the cop career, since you almost always have people chasing you even when you're not really doing anything "wrong". It gets annoying to not be able to take a breath for awhile in peace. The cop career obviously doesn't have this problem since you are the law so you can do whatever the #*!$ you want with no repercussions, much like in real life
[-] Loading times are excessive for a game installed to your hard drive, especially when you are just going to your "hideout" which just loads a menu. There should NEVER be loading times just to get to a menu screen! There are also too many disconnects in online public games, which really interfere with enjoying the game.

So overall, probably not the best purchase at full price, but it did provide me with many hours of entertainment that I could certainly recommend at bargain bin prices.

4.0 out of 5 stars LIVE fast paced get aways or pursuit, January 11, 2014
This review is from: Need for Speed Rivals - Xbox One (Video Game)
I like this game because you are always matched with driving opponents who are actual people. Start Up can be annoying as findinga server to bring players together can take up to 8 minutes. My rating iss four because the world needs to be bigger and more immersive. If you've played For a Horizon, the driving is very similar. If you've played Most Wanted, evasion is similar. But the two are now combined in a be the cop and bust your opponents or be the racer and don't get caught if you want to save your winnings and upgrade your car. I found this driving game to be really cool, blindingly fast paced, and loved the fact it was always played against other real players. So there is no offline Mode I know about, Xbox live is required to play.

Need for Speed Rivals - Xbox One
Need for Speed Rivals - Xbox One by Electronic Arts (Xbox One)
$59.99 $34.28