Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now bgg

Format: Video GameChange
Price:$19.05+ $3.99 shipping

on February 19, 2009
Alright, I beat the career mode of it yesterday and am at 66% of "game completion". It took just under 15 hrs to complete the career mode. So that's a bit disappointing since it took about 40hrs to complete the career mode in Midnight Club LA, although it's MUCH more non-linear.

The issues I have with NFS:UC:
1) The game is very easy. It never really gets difficult, although I think getting the last 1/3rd of the game may take as long as the first 2/3rds, since it's at a higher level.

2) The game is entirely linear. As other reviewers have pointed out, the "open world" concept is pointless in this game. That being said, this game is basically Most Wanted 2. You do some races, you avoid some cops, you beat a boss, you move on.

3) The environments are lifeless and boring. The roads constantly have this sheen on them like they are wet, but they aren't, and you can tell it's being done just to reflect the sunlight to "look impressive". It gets old really fast.

4) There is some SERIOUS slowdown issues in the game. To the point where I actually started getting annoyed by it during a couple of races. When you have a group of racers ahead of you (which doesn't happen very often unless you suck) and you're smashing into things, all the data on the screen brings the thing down.

What I like about the game:
1) As I said above, it's basically Most Wanted 2. If you loved Most Wanted you'll probably love this game. The cars handle about the same, the cops react the same way, the flow of the game is the same.

2) The graphics aren't bad despite the slowdowns. There's no night racing which is a real letdown, and all the races happen at either sunrise or sunset (and seriously, how many street races take place at sunrise or sunset??) and so the sun will be glaring at you quite often.

3) The sense of speed is INTENSE. The game is worth playing just to get the Bugatti Veyron. I can't even explain how fast it is. It's like driving a missle.

4) The types of races are a lot of fun. One of the most fun they have is "Highway Battle" where you have to get 1000ft in front of your competitor in less than a minute while ripping down a highway at high speeds and trying to avoid traffic.

Overall I've had a good amount of fun with this game. It won't provide me nearly as many hours of enjoyment as MC:LA but it's certainly a fun game to play. I totally disagree with any review that puts this below a 5/10.

I haven't spent any time playing it online.

If you're a fan of Most Wanted you really should play this game. It feels dated compared to other modern racing games, but it's still worth playing. It's probably not worth $60 to buy given the short amount of time necessary to beat it and non-replayability but it's certainly worth a 7 day rental.

Overall I give it a 6.5/10.

For reference I'd give these scores to these similar games:
Midnight Club Los Angeles: 7.5/10
Test Drive Unlimited: 9/10
Burnout Paradise: 7/10
Need For Speed Most Wanted: 8/10
Need For Speed Carbon: 7/10
on November 22, 2008
I am a huge fan of the NFS series and consider them classics and was really looking forward for this year's release. However I was disappointed with the final product. Need for Speed Undercover is clearly an attempt to cash in on the success of 2005's Most Wanted after ProStreet flopped with critics and fans. The game itself is as straightforward as you'd expect; race, come first, win cash, buy new cars. The underlying story is you're an undercover cop working for the police, quite straight foward. Everything seems to work as it should - the racing is fast and frenetic; the sense of speed is swell and the cars look mostly nice and slick. The biggest problem with Undercover, and it's a fundamental one, is that it's lazy.

Undercover features a great range of cars, but it's a simple cut-and-paste job from ProStreet and the cars that followed its release. There just isn't enough new here, and you'll likely have driven nearly every ride on offer here in a previous iteration of the series. The cops have basically clicked and dragged from the three-year-old Most Wanted and also the cities (there are three of them) are big, criss-crossed with wide, but they lack personality and they all begin to look the same.

NFS of old was about hot cars, hot pursuits and miles and miles of open road, a very fine example of this is the addictive NFS Most Wanted. Undercover make a semi-successful fist of recapturing some of this magic. Looks great, plays fine. There's no getting around the fact, however, that Undercover is basically Most Wanted with a new lick of paint.

It is time to consider a new look for this one is repetitive and boring.
on January 25, 2009
there are a lot of critics of this game but i think EA hit the target with this game. I havn't stop playing the game since i got it for christmas. I've played midnight club LA for one day then i got nfs undercover have gone back to LA yet. the graphics are better, the sound is steller. as with anything two thngs that would have made the game better would be more after market body kits, and more cars. I think once you get use tothe raceoing style of the game its a blast.
on December 3, 2008
[I HAVE played this game on BOTH the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 - thus am posting this review on both consoles.]

*sigh* I had hopes. In fact I had high hopes, and that's what makes it so dissapointing.

It's been said a lot - Most Wanted was a great game. A fantastic game. One of the very few games I decided to play through twice just to try a different approach.

What made Most Wanted different for a driving game was a compelling story. It wasn't even a very deep story, but you had conflict right from the get-go and it made you eager - no, determined - to get revenge. It gave you a clear, linear story - 8 "bad guys" (I think it was eight...) to take on until you reached the baddest dude of all - the guy who took your car, took your reputation, even tried to take your girl... But in between those linear points, the game was a free-for-all. You had set things you had to do, but you could do them in any order, you could do them however you wanted. You always knew were the next objective was, but still had that freedom.

Undercover is just a cluster. There's roads everywhere, cops everywhere, races everywhere... You have no idea what to do. The story is clear only because we've read about it here on Amazon, on other review sites... Honestly, the game has never told ME that I'm an undercover cop.

The came starts with a car chase - you at the wheel - and a million cops behind you. You're in a 350z, pretty decked out, Red. Suddenly you get away. Then you're watching a clandestine meeting between a woman and a shadowy, male figure. She says he's going to be their driver. It wasn't until my second re-start (tried a different console) that I realized, "Oh, I guess I'm that guy..." Next thing you know you're sitting on the street in a POS Nissan. What happened to the 350z? What am I doing? What's the objective? Who am I??

So you start running races - easy to do, just push down on the D-pad and it'll automatically launch the next race. You'll run a few races and then get a short, somewhat vague cut-scene. That'll open up a unique race - which you'll run - and nothing special will happen. So you'll do a few more races, then something else suddenly happens... It's really only curiosity that keeps you playing. There's no motivation, no apparent pay-off... I've played now for a bunch of hours and still have only unlocked a small handful of parts. I never understood that theory - you have enough money to buy something but it won't let you. The game just levels up the opponent cars anyways - let me buy whatever I can afford!

As far as actual game play goes, it's... ...alright. Graphics are okay up close, but distances get real vague. There are a LOT of aliasing issues, and items appear very blocky and granular. I've had a couple frame-rate issues during auto-saves and what-not - VERY frustrating in a driving game while you're drifting a corner at 140 miles per hour. Technical tracks become challenging because you can't see far ahead. You can, but you can't make out what you're looking at. Is that a turn? Oh, no - it's a bridge abutment... Oh and forget the map. The cities of Undercover are pretty convoluted, which is nice, except that the map doesn't detail elevation changes. So an intersection that appears on the map could actually be a bridge going over another road. Oh yeah - that's fun when you're trying to dart a corner while running from cops... *SMASH* - oh, THAT road is BENEATH me!!! Thanks for the help! You're under arrest...

I of course have no idea how far into the game I am, but it's not very challenging. I've won every race, and have "dominated" all but a few of the "jobs." The cops are present, but they lack that... ne c'est pas... They have no spirit - no soul. They appear out of nowhere - hit a chase-breaker (usually a road-side object that you can hit to stop chasing police cars) and the game goes into a quick cut-scene to watch the destruction. That's always fun, except that I've come out of those cut scenes only to plow into a road block that appeared out of nowhere. Very frustrating. **UPDATE** Even MORE frustrating when those roadblocks include a spike strip in later levels of the game... Sure ended THAT chase pretty quickly. Thanks EA!!! **/UPDATE** The [cops] seem to pit-maneuver you pretty easily - suddenly accelerating out of nowhere... But if you keep dodging, taking corners instead of following the road, this isn't much of an issue. They just don't have the organization of Most Wanted. When you think you're about to escape, more will appear out of NOWHERE. When you finally do escape, they literally dissapear! In instances when you're TRYING to rack up more points, more cop-car-kills, more damage, etc, you can't!

A lot of the game just seems tacked on. Remember the first "Underground" NFS games? There were shops everywhere that focused on specific areas, like body parts, performance parts, certain brands of cars... Now you just push start [pause] and select "Cars." You basically buy cars and customize them from the pause menu. How pathetic is that?? And if you actually go to a shop, you see the EXACT same screen.

The "crews" from Carbon are gone - thank God. You don't have to hire certain staff members just to customize your car. Autosculpting is available immediately and that's a welcome change.

NFS Undercover quickly becomes boring. You run a race, unlock some new races, run some of them, and maybe if you're lucky you'll trigger the next story sequence. But you have no idea, you have no motivation, and all you're left with is another highly anticipated let-down.

Stop doing this, gaming industry. Quit focusing on the dollar and make us some games that are worth playing. We're tired of looking behind us at "what was." Give us something to look forward to, or quit wasting our money. I'm tired of the $60-dollar coasters.

I have to say, the last 1/4 to 1/3 of this game was nearly unplayable. These games are completely unrealistic when it comes to high-speed "simulation."

Throughout the game you have "highway battles." On these challenges, you race against a singular AI opponenet, and have to usually get 1000 feet ahead of them to "win." Of course you start off behind them, and - big surprise, they're automatically pulling away from you." In the begining they were easy, towards the middle they were challenging, and at the end they were impossible. Why? Well, because you're allegedly going 230 miles an hour, going over blind hills and around blind corners in a see of traffic, up against an opponent who of course has impeccable reaction and timing. The only way you could win these was to get lucky and have the AI "goof," smacking into a car at the exact same time that you got a clear straightaway to put some distance between you. But many times I'd pile up into a STACK of AI "traffic" cars, and watch as the opponent deftly weaved around them like it was a cakewalk. Completely unrealistic, completely impossible, and utterly frustrating. I beat the game, and gave up on the rest of the "completion" achievements.

I cannot explain how HAPPY I am that I rented this game.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2008
I was really excited about this game when I first heard about it. After the uncreative NFS Pro Street, NFS Under Cover was suppose to take the game back to its roots. The only problem is, I didn't expect them to go all the way back to the early 90's.

I started the game out, and right away I notice loading, loading, and more loading. Do you want to look at the map to see the next race, loading, do you want to go to your garage, loading, do you want to start a race, loading. Everything you do has a load screen...EVERYTHING. I managed to start playing and I was a little excited. That was until I took over the car. The cut scenes look good, but the game is a mess. There are problems with the frame rate, there are issues was the way the cars look, and the general graphics are poor. If they would have used the graphics from say NFS Hot Pursuit I would have been happier.

The main issue I had was the constant freezing. I finished the first race, but that was it. I could not start another race. Anytime I would pick anything, the loading screen would come up and freeze the entire game. A few times I managed to start a race, but the game would freeze during the race. I was more than let down. I was pissed.

Naturaly, I looked online for others with similar problems, and there are a ton of people. The freezing, frame rates, are all common problems. Some people have been blessed with the lack of problems, but others like me not so much.

One last note. After having the freezing problems, I installed the game to the xbox hard drive. After playing thru a few races I can say that this has, so far, fixed the freezing issues I was having. I am sure a patch will be released to fix most of the games issues, but the only patch worth waiting for is a better game.

11-22-08 EDIT

An auto update was released for the game which may fix some issues. As my biggest issues was the constant freezing, and I fixed that by installing on the hard drive, I am unsure as to what bugs got fixed. I can say the overall the game does not feel as fragile as it had at first.

11-24-08 UPDATE

After getting some time to actually play the game, I will discuss my additional thoughts. The game itself is a lot like the older NFS, where you have an open world with some street races and of course the police chases. The game, as described in another review, can be summed up as LAZY. You actually don't have to do any open world driving. You can pick races from the "GPS" screen, or you can race the closest event by hitting down on your d pad. I felt bad, because it really puts the open world usage to shame. I have not customized any part of my car yet, as its not as fun as it used to be, or should be. Also, anytime you purchase anything in the game it asks if you want to use "In game cash" or "Microsoft Points". I would hate to see how many points it would cost.

The open world consists of three "Cities" each with their own races, and groups to take out. The races seem repetative, more so than in the past. Most of the police cut scenes are the same, as are the begining of most every race. I have only progressed thru the first city, and am on the second.

I did get to play a few matches of cops and robbers online. I must say that this was very fun. The object is to "steal" the money and take it to your hidout before you get busted by the cops. There are up to 8 people playing, 4 robbers and 4 cops. The game is pretty straight forward, and easy to pick up on. I have not yet had a chance to play any other modes. Even though this is fun, I wouldn't pay more then $10 to get this mode. The game just isn't where it should be.

Based on the games progress I would re-rate this MAYBE 2-2.5 stars. However, if you are still not sure about spending the money, I would still wait. Had I have played a demo before hand, or rented the copy first, I would not have purchased. I have yet to recommend this game to anyone, and would still tell people to avoid this title.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2009
I've had this game for a several days now and I can tell you--from the moment I put the game into my Xbox 360 I was unimpressed. I even got this game used for [...] bucks and I can't WAIT to pawn it off on the next sucker who falls for NFS's marketing ploy of this "hot new game".

The Cons:
-The game physics - GARBAGE. Several points in the map have you 'catching air'. About 1/3 of the time will undoubtedly send you careening out of control, flipped upside down, or pinned against a wall. Should you scrape up against a computer player or rub a wall, other racers will SCREAM past you--as if you've stopped--yet you've only lost perhaps 10mph of speed. AND YET...the AI is seemingly unaffected by their mistakes. Pit maneuvers don't work on AI, yet should an AI even bump you from directly behind you'll spin in a 180 with certain cars ultimately putting an end to that race if you're further in the game and the AI is faster.

-The AI is insanely easy at first. You can pretty much win any race half way into the game by racing off the line 10 minutes after the race has started. HOWEVER: half way into the game, the AI gets some sort of 'catch up' advantage and can blast by you! You're either ahead by a split time of 15 seconds (meaning if you parked your car during the race, it would take 15 seconds for the person behind you to catch and pass you), or you're struggling to keep them on your GPS map, let alone in plain view. Currently the game has my $20,000 dollar car pitted against 200,000 dollar cars--cars that are not even in the same galaxy in terms of class. There's absolutely no chance for me to win should I make even the slightest error (running over a cone, or braking around a hairpin turn). Kind of frustrating when this entire time you've been bored by winning races without any effort.

-The TRACKS! In another GIANT F-U to consumers, they've designed 'street racing' tracks that are closed circuit--YET have casual traffic on them. The tracks lack ANY feeling of street racing what so ever other than the simple fact that what you're racing on is a street/dirt road/highway. There is absolutely no doubt you're on a race track instead of a street. Yellow and black barricades block every corner. Imagine your surprise when you're rocketing down a formula 1 track and see a Buick Lesabre in your way. Again, half way through the game, should you hit just 1 of these cars, the race is over. Don't even bother to finish it, just restart or do as I do, and tomahawk your F***ing controller into the floor.

-Free roam is completely pointless. There's nothing to do and no purpose to it really since they've made the player lazy by simply pushing down on the D-pad you're cast off into the next 5minute loading screen. Now, there would be a GREAT purpose to the free roam feature if while you were driving around the game would be loading up the next race, but of course, this is not the case.

-Loading screens - hope you're old enough to drink or are in need of constantly checking the mail. For the hour or two that you might waste your time with this game, at least 15 solid minutes of your time is spent WAITING.

-The Story line is pathetic. It's full of holes, half the time you don't really know what is going on, and the tasks you have to do just go on and on and become monotonous and played out. It's the same thing over and over. "Go take out 5 cop cars by ramming into them and then we'll put you further into the underground world of 'street' racing." It's a load of garbage.

After playing this game and seeing other horrible NFS releases, I'm officially refusing to buy anything else those jerks put out. I'm a true car enthusiast and have played several games that were far superior to this--SEVERAL YEARS AGO! Do you remember Tokyo Extreme Racer for Dreamcast? That game was far superior to this in terms of customization, function, and fun. Even computer games that were made by budget companies like Valuesoft: Redline Racing...way better than Need for Speed: Undercover.

What next? Need for Speed: FU-Give us your money?

The only use this game serves is for selling it back to someone else. PERIOD.
on January 18, 2010
I am not a die hard car racing enthusiast, although I enjoy racing games, so I apologize if my review seems mediocre. Basically, when I first put the came in, it starts with its story set-up, but then it throws you right into it. And the cops are after you. I am fairly new to racing games for the 360 and didn't know the controls right away. I guess it would have helped to read the insert in the case, but I didn't. That's my error. I at first got caught by the cops, but I was given a second chance to blow by them, which I did.
My initial reaction was, "Holy schneikies! Awesome!" Then I got into the game and did a circuit race. I was terribly annoyed by the loose steering on the vehicle I was given to drive. You can't pick a different car. You have to earn them or get money to buy new ones. So I was stuck with this Nissan that had the worst acceleration ever. I was impressed with the--albeit very low--top speed. The first few challenges (sprint, circuit, and outruns) were pretty easy to defeat the AI in, but Entity forbid you crash into something! Unless you have like a seven second plus lead, you are done for. I get the most frustrated when I come around a corner or am doing a sprint on the freeway and out of the "mist" a slow-going sedan gets in my way and I plow right into them. This is worst when you do an an outrun on the freeway. You can only see about a hundred yards ahead of you and the rest is a fog. So when you finally see the cluster of regular cars coming up on you, you have to quickly figure out how to get around them.
I am not going to comment on the cars themselves, since I'm a novice at that, but I will agree with other reviewers that you get pitted against way more advanced cars all the time. And the desire to throw the controller either at the TV or through the window increases every time a slight bump or fish tale occurs and the car is rendered "discombobulated." It's like the car is stunned out of reacting properly. The steering sucks (as I mentioned before). When I turn too much the ass end wags back and forth and threatens to hurl me into a barrier or another car. It's nerve wracking!!
Oh, and a suggestion about the cops. The more you destroy around down, the more the cops look for you...if I were the developer, I would have made it like GTA where the heat on the car would go down after a while. But once you are more than half way on the "heat meter" you can't drive anywhere in the city without getting chased by cops. They even chased me during a race!! The only advantage to that was that the other cars pretty much backed off, so I won the race, but then I spent ten minutes trying to shake the cops, all-the-while driving in circles in the city. It got a bit annoying, having to dodge these cop cars, which the maximum number chasing you are eight. If you can damage or over turn at least three of them, you can outrun the rest. There was one stubborn cop who somehow always managed to get on my tail even when I was a good mile ahead, doing over a hundred miles an hour.
I have to muster up the patience and care to play this game sometimes, because I get frustrated easily. Especially when I am only a block away from the finish line and some stupid truck or bus gets in my way and all the other cars blow past me.
It's an alright game, but I think I will stick with regular sim-racing game from now on.
on November 25, 2008
I decided to delete the review I intially created for this game when it first came out. I've recently picked this came back up again used, because I was simply looking for a game that I could get in a high speed pursuit with the cops.

I had bitterness towards undercover the first time around, many of my complants surrounded the horrible storyline, lack of a main menu, freezing, and the jump to event icon that is pressed on your D-pad. BUt I think I've come to an understanding of this game, and I realized it's really not all that bad. The graphics are actually better than I remember, maybe it's because I recently had my HD tv cleaned and adjusted, but I found myself very satisfied with the presentation this time around. I also love the camera movement, when you flip a 180, which wasn't offered in Most Wanted. I also realized that the gas pedal is now push sensitive, which makes it more realistic in the terms of just slowing down and enjoying the sound of a V8 engine roaring.

I retracted to many of my complaints to see if they were "truly", justifiable. The story, now is it really that much more worse than that of Carbon, and MOst Wanted? I also complained about the weak aspect of garages, but seriously should that really matter when you spend the majority of your time on this game speeding on the streets? Not really. I also complained about the lack of a main menu, so that you can just mess around custimizing cars as I did in Most Wanted, but that's something I could get over now. And lastly. I was completely annoyed by the blinking icon which jumps you into the closest next race. I hated it because I complained to took away from the incntive to free roam, as many critics did as well. But now that I'm playing again, I realized that is the most moronic statement anyone can say about this game, and the reason being is just because the icon is blinking for a jump-to-next-race, doesn't mean you have to actually do it! Duh people, the only thing that is lacking is our ability to just drive around and enjoy, as I have been ever since I got the game again.

Even though many people disliked this game, I found that if you really enjoyed playing Most Wanted and wanted more after you finished it, then this a definite purchase for you. I can never get tired of running from the cops in a car that I customized myself, never. Also something that should have definitely been given credit is the new highway system, and battles. The highway battles are hands down, thee funnest races for me, because you are going head to head with another car in heavy highway like traffic. YOU are picking your lanes flying by cars and trucks at over 100-150mph, while trying to avoiding crashing into any of them.

Look this game obviously wasn't that bad if I had an urge to give it another try after so many months! I honestly feel it's worth the dollers for the highway races, and cops!
on December 29, 2009
This game was a very fun racing game. I paid around 20 dollars for it and it was well worth that. I have played other racing games before such as Nascar games and Forza 2 and they pretty much stop at car upgrades and racing. This game had that as well as many other aspects. It had the following missions: cop takeout, cost of state (try to damage things as much as possible), checkpoint, circuit, sprint, outrun, evade, as well as many side missions like delivering a car, and taking out gang members. The story was a little bit weak, but was still ok. The game was very addicting and provided hours of gameplay. I would recommend this game for those who liked NFS Most Wanted as it is very similar to that one.
on August 17, 2009
Need for Speed: Undercover was the first racing game I bought for my X BOX 360 and let me tell you, it does not disappoint. The game provides plenty of missions and when the characters are shown on the screen, you could swear they were real people. The graphics are great and the selection of cars, decals and accessories are wonderful as well. The one downside of this game is that you cannot have more than one game saved at a time, so if you wanted to start a new game, you would need to start at the first mission and work your way back to the top. Other than that, this game is top notch and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes racing games with realistic races.