5.0 out of 5 stars works as advertised, quick ship, good transaction
Summary: viable off-brand alternative
Relevant experience: 4+ years using EOS line; 24+ years using SLRs; previous use of off-brand grip for XTi and motor grips for other SLRs

Published on June 24, 2010 by Photoleif

3.0 out of 5 stars Purchase with caution...
Published on February 20, 2012 by joeaverageuser

3.0 out of 5 stars Purchase with caution..., February 20, 2012
This review is from: Neewer® BG-E8 Replacement Battery Grip for Canon EOS 550D 600D 700D/ Rebel T2i T3i T5i SLR (Electronics)
This seemed like a handy and useful item. When it arrived, I was pleased with the appearence and feel. Then came the downfall...the item did NOT function with the battery magazine that was used to hold the Canon LP-E8 batteries. There are 2 positions, for 2 batteries. Supposedly, you can use one or two batteries. Neither position would work. At this point, I thought the grip was defective. Then I loaded the 6 AA batteries in their separate magazine and loaded into the grip. Now everything worked perfectly. The problem was with the magazine used for the LP-E8 batteries. I contacted Amazon, they instructed me on how to contact the seller, bestdealusa, which I do not believe is even in the U.S. Also, they have NO PHONE NUMBER. I contacted them, they asked for the order number which I provided, THEN THEY DID NOTHING...except passed the problem back to Amazon. They will not take any responsibility for the product. After troubleshooting...the problem turned out to be the contacts did not make contact with the rechargable batteries. Using a small needlenose pliers, I was able to CAREFULLY, and I re-emphasize CAREFULLY, move the contacts out enough to make contact with the batteries. The unit then functioned as it was supposed to....but with NO help from the seller at all. I am an electronics technician by trade. IF you have this product...IF you are experiencing the same problem, it may be able to easily repair it. If you are uncertain of doing it yourself, seek assistance. IT IS ONLY plastic and can easily be broken. I hope this might help.

5.0 out of 5 stars works as advertised, quick ship, good transaction, June 24, 2010
Photoleif (colorado, usa) - See all my reviews
Summary: viable off-brand alternative

This grip performs exactly per the specification. It fits snugly against the camera body with no wiggling. The battery door closes tightly and securely. All buttons perform their assigned functions. I consider this a very acceptable alternative to the far more expensive canon part; no cons whatsoever. Another grip I purchased (similar model for an XTi from a different off-brand manufacturer) developed some cracking and shifting of the vinyl grip, but even that is minor in the big scheme of things... time will tell how this product performs, but I expect it should be stable for several years.

Based on this product's build quality, I would definitely consider purchasing other products from this manufacturer.

An added bonus for those photographers with large hands: this grip will likely help you since it increases your contact surface area quite a bit. I used to be able to put three fingers on one side of the tT2i, and now i can put all four on.

2012-Feb-28 followup. I am still using this, still completely satisfied with it. The electronics work fine, and it is still physically reliable. The vinyl hasn't cracked, and it looks much the same as it did nearly two years ago when I bought it. Great product.

2012-Sep-24 followup. I modded the battery door a bit to allow the AC adapter's power cord to pass through it for mounting the fake battery in the battery bay. It works in either position just fine. Still no issues with the grip -- entirely satisfied after > 15,000 shots and lots of handling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps you to hold camera better!, July 30, 2012
Length:: 3:13 Mins

My husband seems to have a great eye for things. He knows when something is good and when it's junk. Once again he proved himself to me with this battery grip. I wasn't really able to picture what it was that this item could do, until he put it on the camera.

This grip actually makes the camera feel lighter! We film videos a lot and some of them are outdoors and I am the camera person without the tripod! This camera was very heavy for me to hold after a few minutes, it was difficult to get a good grip on it. Once we added this grip, it made all the difference in the world! It gives you extra room at the bottom to hold the camera and the grip has a great feel to it!

Matt does a review on this battery grip. He shows you what it looks like on the Canon T3i and shows you some of the features of this grip.

2.0 out of 5 stars It certainly *looks* as good as Canon's grip ..., October 28, 2010
Zetau (Nantahala National Forest, US) - See all my reviews
... but looks can be deceiving.

I have had two other Rebels, each with a Canon OEM battery-grip, along with my 5D with a Canon OEM grip. I am comparing my experience using those two Rebels, with my recent experience using my T2i and a third-party grip. It still *looked* good throughout the entire ordeal. This third-party grip made my T2i malfunction, enough to call for repair information.

For no known reason at the time, my T2i began by acting strange. I had it up on my Gitzo, in the studio, shooting small ring-size items. The T2i has a feature to turn off the screen as your eye approaches the viewfinder. It got to where it would shut off the screen if even my hand was 12-18 inches (30.5-45.7 cm) away from the camera. And if I attempted to shutter it, it acted as if it were dead ... it would not release the shutter.

I stopped, moved to my work table, and attempted to trouble-shoot the problem. Until the very end, the camera had this battery-grip attached to it. The malfunctions continually compounded until I began thinking I got a lemon ... I did in ways, but it was NOT the T2i.

I then noticed that pressing the shutter with any exposure setting (e.g., M, Av, Tv, etc.) resulted in a functionality somewhere between *bulb* and *second curtain*... when I pressed the shutter, it stayed down, and required that I press it again to come up. But no matter how long I waited, it captured the correctly-exposed image only when I pressed the shutter the second time (i.e., to come back up), and it did that with or without the flash. It would also not fire in succession, but only single shots at a time.

I also reset the T2i, and placed fresh batteries in it ... all to no avail. I finally accepted that I would need to send the T2i in for repairs.

When I was removing this battery-grip, I decided to place one Canon OEM battery into the body, put the battery door back on, and try to fire it again. The result was it fired flawlessly and did everything as it was designed to do.

I then placed the battery back into the grip, and just as I had originally done, carefully mounted the grip to the camera. The problem was gone ... at least on my work table.

The Solution ...

Try to picture this: T2i with said battery-grip and 100mm lens. That set-up was mounted on my tripod. The problems began to appear when I tilted the camera about 45-75° forward to look down upon the ring-type items. Although I mounted the grip properly, the grip apparently tweaked inside the battery shaft, and messed-up the contacts. But once it got tweaked, it stayed that way until I removed the grip from the camera, and re-mounted it.

I would not recommend this to a serious shooter. And for the record, I have no connection, whatsoever, with the camera or electronics industries.

I hope to get Amazon to apply credit towards the purchase of a Canon OEM grip, and take this PoC back. This is not built to pro standards.

NOTE: I did just buy this grip here, but Amazon no longer ships it directly. I did not buy it from the current vendor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value, built tough, looks good, works perfectly on T2i or T3i, June 27, 2011
I bought this a few months ago, just a couple of days after the T3i was released. The T2i and T3i are mostly the same camera, but there are a few body differences and I was concerned whether or not this grip would fit as well as it does on the T2i. It absolutely does!

For just over $30, this grip is just as good as any other 3rd-party grip, and indeed rivals Canon's own grip. Any serious shooter or gadget lover knows that Canon and Nikkon charge WAY too much money for their battery grips. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't buy an off-brand grip like this one.

The finish is great and matches the camera well, it has a nice heft, the two batteries fit perfectly inside, the camera can still read battery levels, the buttons are nice and tactile, and even the scroll wheel feels good.

You won't regret buying this grip.

1.0 out of 5 stars You may get a great quality grip, or you may get trash..., June 15, 2011
I wrote my initial review about this being a quality Meike grip. I have found in communicating with other customers and from my latest experiences with New Harbor, that they deliver these parts to Amazon.com for fulfillment and they do not discern the manufacturer. So depending on the stock, one day you may get a Meike, and the next you may get a generic Chinese piece of trash. New Harbor won't reply to questions either, they are an absentee seller. They collect the money, but won't deal with customer service issues. I am changing my review because of this. Also, Amazon will not allow customers to review New Harbor.

My initial review of this battery grip:
Well made, sturdy, really nice grip - excellent fit and finish for my T2i. It is made in China like all of these cheap aftermarket grips. This particular one is a Meike brand though. Meike is known in China for good quality. This one looks and feels very solid, for the price it can't be beat. Feels tough and as though it will last quite awhile. Really happy with this product so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars BUT it needs TWO LP-E8 batteries (Meike grip), January 27, 2012
I received the Meike grip (The name is on the box, on the guarantee card, and on the base of the grip, though curiously not on the instructions). The grip seems to work well with 6 AA batteries in the AA tray; the wheel and all the buttons seem to do what they're supposed to--very satisfying. The heft, feel, and look are all good.
HOWEVER, with 1 LP-E8 battery--I only have one--in the LP-E8 tray, I get nothing, zip, nada. It doesn't matter which slot I put it in, it's still as if I had left the tray empty. If the grip had worked with my Canon battery, I would have given it 5 stars. Is anybody else having this problem with a Meike grip?
-----
UPDATE, Feb. 13, 2012: I bought a second grip to see if I had any better luck. Same situation. However, in the meantime I also bought a second battery (a good idea anyway). With two LP-E8 batteries in the magazine, both grips are happy. With only one, neither one works. So I'll send one back.
I'm revising my rating to 4 stars, because the grip works very well with 2 LP-E8s or with 6 AA batteries. So I've got lots of options to extend the battery session life or to cover for an LP-E8 battery problem by having the AA batteries as a backup. If they would just say that both battery slots need to be full on the LP-E8 magazine, I would give it 5 stars at this price. Good build quality, good fit, good functionality, excellent color match on the rubber grip on one unit (the other is a little deeper grey/black than my T3i).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, but not perfect, March 10, 2011
First of all, I paid 32 dollars (one fifth of canon brand grip) for this item with shipping, so I told myself not to expect much. The reviews for this item, however, were pretty good (save for a couple who received DOA copies) and I had a Meike grip for a Canon 5D Mark ii that came as part of a package from Adorama and I thought that grip was really good quality.
I purchased this grip for my T2i. For the money I paid, I am pleased. There are a few quality issues...one, on the back of the grip the rubberized material has started to peel off a very little bit...this can be easily fixed with a little gorilla glue and a toothpick. Second, the neckstrap bar at the bottom of the grip is a POS and comes loose easily. I have put it back in place with pliers but it will probably come out of place again...not a big deal since I don't use it much.
When I first received the grip the shutter dial did not work. A quick google searched revealed this is a common problem with these grips and can possibly be fixed by removing the batteries, removing the grip, turning the camera on and off in no particular order, and reassembling. Bingo, now all the buttons work. Those are the only quality issues I've had so far. If the grip lasts a year or two, I'll be more than happy. I recently took it on a trip where it was around a lot of sand, wind and water, and I encountered no problems.
For the T2i a grip is useful just to make the camera easier to handle with man hands. It makes the camera feel like more of a solid, professional piece of equipment-before the grip the T2i felt more like a tiny consumer DSLR, which it is! I shoot a ton vertically so this grip is very useful.
If you have small hands, don't shoot vertically, don't use the camera for extended periods of time, a grip is not very useful and might be more annoying. If you have big hands, shoot vertically and for long periods of time, then get this grip pronto.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better., February 25, 2013
Kelly Grant (Corpus Christi, TX) - See all my reviews
I got it for my Rebel T3i. It's great for doubling battery life compared to using just one battery at a time. I guess I had higher expectations to this battery grip than what's the standard. It doesn't accurately read your battery usage considering it's using Li-Ion batteries. It just says your full the whole time then when you least expect it and turn it back on, it won't turn on and the batteries are drained.

That right there can ruin a spur of the moment shot when you need your camera in hurry and go to turn it on to capture that special moment and it's lost due to dead batteries. :( IDK maybe I look around and see if I can find a brand that will do that. Who knows, there might not be one.

It's good for what it does and that's doubling your battery power on your camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 3rd party build, July 12, 2010
I got this battery grip for my Canon T2i and it fits perfectly. I would doubt that the Canon original would be any different. The only thing I found was that the base screw mounting hole's threading is shallower than on the actual T2i's body. So it would not screw flush onto my tripod or hand held flash grip. The hole was deep enough, the threading just stopped one or two turns to early.