Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Neewer Professional Battery Grip (Replacement for Nikon MB-D11 Battery Grip) For Nikon D7000 DSLR Camera Compatible with EN-EL15 Battery
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on June 11, 2011
I ordered this grip for a photo shoot I had coming up on the weekend. I had just received my new Nikon D7000 on a Tuesday and right away realized I would need a battery grip to balance my telephoto lenses on this small camera. I ordered the grip thinking I would get it before the weekend but by Friday night it hadn't arrived, so I went to the local camera store and bought the genuine Nikon grip for $250. Tuesday the Neewer grip arrived. I closely looked at both grips and tried them on the camera. I couldn't tell the difference. For the amount of money you save I can't see one reason why you would buy the Nikon brand grip. This Neewer grips fits, feels and works like the Nikon, and its $200 dollars cheaper.
Some people say there is a small bit of play between the grip and camera, but I found that not to be the case. Both the genuine and Neewer are rock solid.
22 comments|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2011
I got one of these on another site. They work. They're plastic, of course, but we all expected that. I've had mine mounted for a week or so now and had no problems to speak of. It fits well, works well and holds one additional EN-EL15. Not much more to say but get it and save yourself a boatload.

**Update**
I haven't been able to successfully remove the teensy bit of play , and I mean teensy, that I experience when shooting in portrait orientation. It's just ridiculous how awesome this grip is for the money. A real surprise to me, as another reviewer noted, is just how functional the buttons and wheels are on this thing. I didn't think that I would use them, but I do. Only con I can see, which isn't even a con really, is that the cheap ass Chinese paint that they used on the AE/AF-L button is wearing off already after several weeks of ownership. Do I care? Not one bit. I'll go buy another one for $50 if I want the paint there.

This grip just operated through a pretty grueling 30 hours of event coverage this past week and performed flawlessly.
1414 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2011
UPDATE: The little tab "key" attached to the AA battery tray literally just broke off in my hand. It's made of plastic and clearly is under-designed for its function (twisting to unlock the tray). I'm traveling soon and don't have time to deal with warranty issues, so that will have to wait. The tray will still lock if you use a pen or something to turn the key, so it still functions OK.

Works "as advertised," as they say. NOT Nikon build quality, as far as materials go, but seems to be sturdy plastic. It fits the camera well and doesn't feel cheap. It probably wouldn't survive a hard drop, but look at it this way: You could buy 4 of these for the price of the Nikon (Whoops, looks like the price just went up, from $57 to $73!). I also bought the remote from the same company, and it is *identical* in appearance to the Nikon. Makes me wonder if the manufacturer isn't a vendor for Nikon...

Time will tell if this thing holds up. I'll update if anything bad happens.
66 comments|33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2011
This is an early review as I just received the product last night. That is the only reason I did not give this a five star rating. If it holds up with use I will edit the review to increase the rating to 5 stars.

First off, I have no idea where the name Neewer comes from as this product came packaged from a manufacturer by the name of Meike. But that doesn't really matter as I have no knowledge of either company.

My first impression was the feel of quality. This is not magnesium but it is not cheap plastic either. In fact I rather like the feel of the rubber grip surface more than that on the D7000.

It installed simply and tightly ... there is absolutely no play between the grip and the body.

In terms of functionality there are two matters worth noting. The multi selector is not the same as the D7000 ... it is a little joy stick which is easier to operate than the selector on the camera body. You don't have to move your finger from one side to the other to change selections. the second is a rather odd engineering choice by the manufacturer. The Command and Sub-command dials operate in the opposite direction to the dials on the camera body. Not a big issue as I will get used to that.

The only other matter I would comment on is really a complaint about Nikon as this is true of the Nikon grip as well. The second battery is in the grip while the first remains in the camera body (unlike the grip for the D90 where both batteries were in the grip). So when it is time to recharge the battery in the body you have to remove the grip. Again not a big deal but it will be inconvenient at some point in time. However you can select, in the menu, which battery is used first so that if you select the grip battery you are unlikely to have to charge the camera body battery very often.

I previously owned a Zeikos grip for my D90 and was waiting for them to come out with their grip for the D7000 as I was very happy with the previous grip. After numerous delays I finally took the plunge and bought theis Neewer (Meike?)grip. If you are tired of waiting for the Zeikos grip ... buy this one. The quality is at a minimum equal to that of my previous Zeikos.

So far I have to say that there is absolutely no reason to spend four times as much on the Nikon Grip. I am very pleased and recommend this grip to all.

Oh and one last thing ... the bottom of the grip is not exactly the same shape as the bottom of the camera so if you have a custom plate for your ballhead (mine is from Markins for the Q3) it may not fit and you may have to get a universal plate. Thankfully the Markins plate was adjustable and it works fine.

UPDATE:I have now had this grip for a while and would not change my review at all. A great product at a very good price.
on June 14, 2011
I saw this item had some nice reviews, so I just went for it and ordered. This is an exceptional piece of equipment for the price. Yes, it is plastic, but it does not feel cheap at all. The texture matches my d7000 perfectly. The biggest and most welcoming surprise was the great function from the vertical buttons and knobs. They all worked perfectly and while the feel slightly different than the camera's buttons they work just as well. This is a very good battery grip and I would recommend it to anyone.

Update: The grip never made it to a year, while the shutter release on the grip still works, none of the other buttons or dials do. It could have been banged around but I doubt it, I only used the grip in studio settings. The backwards dial I could live with, but the buttons going out in less than a year, that stinks.
on May 26, 2011
I have had this product for one week officially and I am very pleased with the product. I have monster size hands and as much as I love my Nikon D7000 I wish it had the Canon body size. From I had this Battery Grip I no longer have this complaint. Yes it plastic but the overall feel of the Camera with the grip is great and the shutter button works the same as the one on the camera autofocus included. I navigate the menu with the mini mouse on the grip instead of the D-Pad. Good product, go for it.
on May 4, 2012
I've used this product a number of times now over the past month, and to address a few criticisms from my experience thus far:

1.) Yes, the latch on the battery door is made of cheap plastic which is probably very easily broken if twisted too hard. That being said, I've opened it multiple times, always being sure to treat it as such, and suspect I won't have much of a problem.

2.) Yes, the writing on the AE-L/AF-L button wiped off like a dry-erase board after one day of shooting in hot conditions (sweaty hands). So what. Once you know what the button is, it doesn't matter.

3.) Yes, the dials spin the wrong way (on this model). You get used to it.

4.) Yes, it's plastic, but it doesn't feel like a toy.

To me, this is a 5-star product because, for less than 1/5th the price of the Nikon product, it does everything I want it to, i.e.:

-It works... no connection problems once you've tightened it down well
-It improves handling of the camera, and allows you to hold on the side when shooting in portrait orientation
-It's not so cheap that you feel like you've strapped a child's toy onto your expensive D7000. I actually expected it to feel cheaper.

If you make money from your photography, I don't think you would, or should, bat an eye at purchasing the real Nikon product. If you're a hobbyist on a tight budget, like myself, you can probably make do with this. With the money you save buy a 50mm f/1.8, or an SB-400 flash... or take a beautiful woman out for a nice dinner and drinks (you don't have to spend ALL your loose cash on photography gear)
on November 29, 2011
**One Final Follow-up**

My wife and I have purchased Nikon grips for our cameras and regret ever trying to 'go cheap'. The Nikon grips mount solidly, the grip controls work correctly, and there are no more problems with intermittent power connections. Our D90 was also having problems with it's knock-off grip and the Nikon grip cured that as well.
Lesson learned.

I've sinced purchased another one of these from Amazon and returned it shortly after purchase because it did not make a good connection with either of our D7000's.

I then purchased yet another of these from another vendor and after a couple months of use the battery grip loses connection to the camera intermittently. So with 3 of these I've had exactly the same symptoms. One would instinctively want to blame the camera but the problem occurs with either of two D7000's.

I believe it's worth noting that hand straps are used with the grip/camera combination. I believe the plastic case is too flimsy for this application and that the metal Nikon case is the way to go. If you use a neck strap these plastic knock-offs may be okay.

After this unit goes kaput I'm getting the Nikon grip. It isn't worth the aggravation dealing with this plastic stuff anymore.
Possibly missing a rare shot because of trying to save money simply isn't worth it.
**********************************

I was quite pleased with this battery grip for a couple of months, but now am equally displeased. After what I consider moderate use the connection between the grip and the camera is intermittent and unreliable. You can visually see the grip appear and disappear in the camera display.
I tried using both AA batteries and the Nikon battery with the same result. Fearing the problem might be the D7000 connector I brought the grip to a friend's house to try it with his camera (he's using the Nikon grip). He was reluctant to attach the grip to his new D7000 but eventually caved and the result was the same as it was with my D7000. And BTW, the Nikon grip connection was solid on my camera.
This Neewer unit is for some reason listed twice here at amazon, and at the other listing there are also complaints of intermittent connections.

What's disconcerting is that there is only a 30 day return window on this item. I don't know what the refund amount might be after that time, but when you figure in the cost of return shipping it's probably not worth the hassle.
Those of you who believe the grip can cheaply be replaced if it fails might want to consider how often it might fail. A 30 day return window on something that proves defective after a couple of months, no matter what the price, is mighty unreasonable and leads me to believe the seller knows there are issues with it. If I purchase it again and it fails again after a couple of months I've invested $90 in something with nothing to show for it.

Perhaps, until my next trip, I'll go with no grip at all and see if someone else comes out with a better alternative.

I would have rated this product 2 or 3 stars as a possible good value if not for the ridiculous 30 day return period. If it had failed after 9 months of use then okay, buy another one. But two months? No, not a good value at all.
VINE VOICEon August 21, 2011
Update: September 10. 2011

Within 3 weeks of putting my initial review the plastic piece which is used to open and close the battery compartment by rotating it broke off. It was indeed a pretty cheap quality plastic. Check my image in the product images to see the damaged piece.

It can still be operated since I can rotate the lock with my fingertips. But it may become an issue for someone with thicker fingers.
I have yet to contact Neewer and log a complaint. Will update this review regarding there customer service.

Original Review: August 21, 2011

After using this for more than a month on three different day long shoots, I highly recommend this battery grip for all Nikon DSLR users. My grip is mounted firmly on a Nikon D7000 and has made shooting so much convenient and easy. Especially, if you are doing a lot of portraits, and attend workshops, you will understand the need to click the photos in vertical orientation.

The grip fits very easily in one smooth go, and has a good quality feel. It provides additional battery space, one for standard Nikon battery and one more for AAs. You can use 6xAAs if you run out of the battery and don't want to spend on additional OEM batteries.

The joy-stick feature is superb and helps to move around the focus on the screen easily. Also, this battery pack helps greatly in balancing the camera in case if you use a full frame heavy lens. I use a Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR AF-S NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR with Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only). Without the battery grip, camera always lens forward when hanging by the strap around my neck, since the lens is so heavy. With this grip, camera is well balanced and so easy to use.

Highly recommend this product...buy it with confidence.
review image
on July 14, 2011
I ordered this battery grip just after getting my new D7000 Nikon. I had been looking for one and the Nikon version was close to $200. I had very good luck with a r3rd party grip for my D90 which has had its battery grip mounted continuously for 2.5 years.
When the new D7000 grip arrived a few days after ordering I was eager to see if it was as good as the Zeikos grip on the D90. My first and later impressions were very positive; the fit and casting is first rate, the rubber grip pads are thick and solid feeling, and it mounted with perfect alignment.
I used the Nikon second battery but tried the tray for AA cells, fit well and made secure contact. I've had it only 2 weeks but it has been a great addition to the camera. Using larger lenses such as my favorite 70-200VR, the camera balances better, making the combination a great handling and feeling camera. I use the vertical orientation often and use the AF-L/AE-L button programmed for AF-On. The button on the grip is in a better position for this style of operation than the one on the camera body.
For the price, functionality and apparent ruggedness, I am very happy I got this one instead of the Nikon version.