5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use with Sound Recorder
This is a neat little cassette capture unit that is easy to use. Instead of using the software that came with it, I used the unit with my laptop's Sound Recorder program and it works great.

Published 23 months ago by Cardstitcher61

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it, let me tell you why...
The usb connector was very finicky. I could usually get it to work by letting the usb hang in just the right position, but any small touch to the device would cause it to fail. Tried multiple usb cables, it was the actual USB connector that was at fault.

Published 23 months ago by Charles Becker

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use with Sound Recorder, October 5, 2012
This review is from: Neewer® Portable USB 2.0/1.1 Handheld Tape to PC Super USB Cassette-to-MP3 Converter Capture (Electronics)

I plugged the unit into my laptop with the USB cable included, loaded the cassette tape I wanted to convert, and clicked on Sound Recorder in Accessories. I then clicked on Start Recording (I had my Altec speakers plugged into the capture unit so I could hear when the tape ended). When the recording was finished, I clicked on Stop Recording, and the window to save the recorded file automatically appeared. I clicked on Music, typed in a title for the recording, and saved the file. I then went to iTunes, clicked on Add File, and my music files automatically appeared. I then clicked on the title of my new recording. iTunes converted the file to an AAC file. When the entire set of tapes had been copied, I set up a new playlist, added all the relevant files, and synced it to my iPod Touch. It all went quickly (except for the time it takes to record) and it worked like a charm.

I am giving the unit five stars because it easily did all that I expected. The tapes I converted are very old (some created more than 30 years ago) recordings of family gatherings, conversations, and music (we have a bunch of musicians in our family), and they turned out clear and clean. I understand that audio book and music cassettes can also be converted and I might try that on some of my old homemade music tapes. For now, I am so happy to get my family memories on my PC, iTunes and on my iPod.

The unit itself is attractive, compact, as durable as one would expect for a small unit, and easy to use. Everything is included (ear buds, USB cable, software CD and the unit itself) and it's all nicely priced at around $19 plus shipping. I might spend some time learning to use the software that came with the unit, but the Sound Recorder program works just as well and as long as the tapes come out clear, I might not bother. In short, I am very pleased with the little capture unit and consider it an excellent purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it, let me tell you why..., October 26, 2012
Charles Becker (Fort Collins, CO USA) - See all my reviews

Also, recordings had a significant hum that I know was the cause of the device. With the recording software, I could remove most of the hum, but it added an extra 5 minute step after the recording to do this.

I do not recommend this product. You'd be better off just getting a regular tape player and use line-in to your computer... that's basically all you're doing with this anyway... the USB connection on this device basically just adds another sound card to your system with line in "built in".

BTW, the software that shipped with the product is freeware called Audacity. I recommend getting the latest version online for your recordings. Regardless of whether you buy this device or use the "line-in" method I mentioned above, Audacity seemed like pretty good software to do it with.

I returned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, April 18, 2012
Great tool for people who still own cassette tapes. I used it to convert some of the old tapes that I found which teach things, now I can listen to them in the car on my mp3. works great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very functional - quality of old tapes does matter., September 28, 2012
When I got this cassette to MP3 converter it took about 5 sessions to really figure out how to record, parse tracks, and import in to iTunes. The machine itself does feel flimsy but it does function well. At first I thought the machine was creating a lot of noise and feedback like other reviews indicated, but then discovered it was the quality of my old tapes; some are 30+ years old. When using cassettes that were of better quality the recording was as good as the playback of the cassette. No product like this will improve the quality of the orignal cassette recording/condition of the original cassette.

Search for the online manual and read thoroughly to avoid frustration upon first use (it didnt come with a thorough manual, just a quick reference guide). I would give the product 5 stars if it were easier to figure out how to use and were a little bit more durable. However, once you've ripped all of your cassettes you wont need this anymore so it doesn't need to be built to last forever!

Solid purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good item for the price., June 19, 2012
It took a little trial and error to get up and running, but is well worth it. Good item for the price. Very happy with it overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great tool to help keep the past alive!, October 18, 2012
Stephen P. Lopez "Insane4art" (Hemet, California United States) - See all my reviews
I recently ran across a forgotten box of about 50 old audio cassette tapes containing vintage radio shows, but since I went (in my infinite wisdom) completely 'digital' years ago, I now had no way to play them (Insert D'oh! here). How nice it would be to be able to transfer all my old audio cassettes of mine to MP3, eh? Luckily, I found this 'USB Cassette Capture' device (Model #TT-CM001). For about $20 you can't go wrong. At first glance it's about the size of the old Sony 'Walkman' (yep, I'm that old). It came with an installation disk that contains an instruction manual (PDF), and an older version of the free 'Audacity' recording software. I recommend going online and downloading the newest version of Audacity (still free), it's 'Plug-Ins' (just for fun), and the 'LAME MP3 Encoder' (even though it has a silly name, it's very important, you will need it!). Installing them is the same as following the instructions on the installation CD (that PDF I mentioned) included with the 'USB Cassette Capture' device (Model #TT-CM001). If this seems too difficult, get one of your computer 'savy' brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren to do this for you. I have Windows 7 and it works great. The 'Audacity' recording software is backwards compatible to Windows XP, and other variations of it include a MAC version too. Now as for the other reviewers who complained about the sound being slow, garbled, etc., it's not the device (at least in my case), but it may be the condition of the cassette tape. So why not 'Fast Forward' and 'Rewind' the cassette tape a few times to loosen it up, especially if it's been sitting in a box for a few years like mine were. I hope this review was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks cheap but works great!, October 3, 2012
Item looks really cheap, but works just fine. Price is low, and no extra software required, so I'm satisfied!
I already had the free program audacity downloaded onto my computer, and was already familiar with how to use the program. Those not familiar with audacity may need to familiarize themselves with the program before they feel comfortable using this converter, but it's a lot simpler than other converter systems I've had to use in the past.
Affordable, and does exactly what it's suppsosed to do! Very pleased with the product.

1.0 out of 5 stars not to good, June 15, 2012
The recorder is not very good qulaity. The sound wobbled a lot and the volume was not even. I would not reccomened it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak tape drive, December 13, 2012
Bob "AmazonShopper" (Valencia, CA United States) - See all my reviews
First of all, I'll say that this device was able to do what it is supposed to do, that is, convert from tape to mp3. I noticed that a 45 minute tape took about 50 minutes (my first recording), then on my next recording the tape stopped in the middle at about 20 minutes. I switched the cassette into another player and it worked perfectly, so it must be a weak tape drive. Also, Amazon sent me a different brand called HYPE, but in shopping around it appears that these are identical devices by looking at the pictures of them--just different brand stickers are put on. The HYPE sticker on the device sent to me had fallen off in the packaging, so I just reapplied it since it was exposing the internal parts.

Also, a word about the Audacity software that does the converting. I would suggest going to their site and downloading the latest software (it is free) and they have good instructions (tape player instruction booklet is weak on the software). This software is used on many of these types of units. A common stumbling point in the Audacity software is not selecting "usb" on the microphone input because the default is set up for the computer's input not this new device you bought (I'm running Windows XP). USB should be the on the bottom of the drop down menu which is just to the right of the microphone icon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless Piece of Garbage, December 16, 2012
I couldn't get this thing to work right - and I'm pretty technical and computer-savvy. I just wanted a quick/easy way to get old cassette tapes into digital format. I ended up returning this because it just does not work.

If you are looking to do the same, which I assume you are if you're looking at this product, here's what I did that worked:

1. purchased: "3.5 MM Male to Male Audio Cable" (don't know if link will always work, but this one:[...]
2. purchased a cassette player with a headphone outlet - I got the "Vextra Cassette Tape Player Recorder"[[...]
3. plugged the cord into the headphone outlet of the tape player & the other end into the "line-in" jack on my computer, making sure your "recording device" is set to "line-in"
4. (in Windows) turned on Sound Recorder; pressed play on the cassette player, clicked record on Sound Recorder & let it run

This easily got it into digital format & the quality was quite good.
After this, I used Foobar to convert into flac format & then Audacity to edit and save separate pieces into individual MP3s.

Rate and Discover Movies