5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars because it's so inexpensive
Published on February 25, 2011 by lightstream

3.0 out of 5 stars Great value, but beware.
Published on April 13, 2011 by Rick Diaz

3.0 out of 5 stars Great value, but beware., April 13, 2011
I bought one of these grips based on the stellar reviews here and elsewhere. It arrived today and I was pleased to see that appearance-wise, the reviews were true. It looks every bit as good as the OEM Canon item. I have to wonder if any of the previous reviewers have tried to use this device with the optional AA battery tray. I did and almost fried my camera with it, so I can only give it 1 star. I attached the grip to my brand new 60D and was impressed by how well it fit. I placed 6 brand new AA batteries into the grip's tray being very careful to notice the orientation symbols in the plastic. I slid it into the grip and proceeded to turn the camera on. Nothing. Confused, I removed the grip from the camera then removed the battery tray from the grip. It was so hot I couldn't even touch it. I had to bang the tray on the carpet to dislodge the batteries before the whole thing melted into a pile of resin. Obviously, there's a short somewhere in the tray that caused the batteries to heat up. I popped an LP-E6 battery back into the camera and it still would not turn on. Thinking the grip had fried my camera I was frantic and more than a little pissed off. Luckily, I determined that the camera will not work without the battery compartment door on. Once I reinstalled it the camera turned on fine. I tried the grip again, but this time with the LP-E6 battery tray and 2 batteries. It worked fine. If you have one of these I strongly urge you to try the AA battery tray and make sure there is no issue with it. Simply put batteries in it the proper way and see if they heat up. No need to install it on the camera unless it stays cool and appears safe. For me, the ability to use AA batteries when traveling was a real benefit of this device. I hope I just got a defective one and that no one else finds this same defect with theirs.

UPDATE: Since I was going to be sending this one back, I decided to open up the defective battery tray and test it with a meter. Underneath the cover for the main contacts are two wires going to each contact from the positive and negative of the battery supply. One of them had either been improperly soldered and come loose or never been attached. It was touching the opposite contact and causing a short circuit. Since the batteries are in series the short was not completed until the last battery was installed. The unit is now fixed and working properly, but this is an indicator of the poor quality control of this unit. Apparently, no final testing is done before packing and shipping. Another sub-par Chinese product, I guess. I'm going to keep it, but I can't give it more than 3 stars because I'm sure someone else will probably find a similar issue. Oh, and the smell is definitely a negative.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars because it's so inexpensive, February 25, 2011
I received the Meike BG-E9 as shown on the product page even though the invoice did not mention a brand name and the vendor refers to it as the Neewer, which is a different model. It fits and works perfectly. It matches the Canon grip exactly in form and function. Except for a slight difference in the texture of the rubber it would be hard to tell the difference without actually handling it. It is lightweight but not alarmingly so, it's hefty enough to feel secure. The removable battery trays are built well.

The glue used on the rubber smells awful but has dissipated a lot in the two days I've had this. Hopefully the smell will be gone completely in another day or so. Since I haven't done any work with it yet I'm a little concerned about the security and durability of the metal tripod mounting screw although it feels good so far.

The 60D grip was so small I could only hold it with three fingers which felt strange to me. This grip takes care of that problem and adds a lot more useful function. I'm uploading a couple of photos I took of it mounted on the camera.

Update 3-8-11: After a couple of weeks of using the grip I can say I'm really glad I took a chance on buying it. I couldn't afford the Canon version and usually would just wait till I could manage it but this grip looked too tempting at its low price. I forgot I was using a knock-off immediately after putting it to work. There are no fit, finish or sturdiness issues at all. I compared the battery trays to the one in the grip from my EOS1N and was surprised that they looked like they'd been made in the same factory, plus the glue smell was completely gone in a few days.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHY WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON THE ORIGINAL!, January 26, 2011
AMAZING ITEM! I originally purchased a new Canon BG-E9 on January 15, 2011 from a well known camera shop in Boston and paid over $[...] for it after tax. I then decided to purchase this item and did it with skepticism because I figured, "How can an item which is about $[...] less perform the same?" Well my answer came today in the mail (fast shipping!). The item is almost identical to the over-priced Canon original. The grip is very comfortable. The batteries load exactly the same as a Canon, all accessories are identical, and all of the hand grip functions are identical. By adding a Canon hand strap, which I purchased separately with the Canon BG-E9, I now have a camera which I can strap comfortably around my hand and turn the camera counter-clockwise to shoot those tough vertical shots. The only way to describe this Meike Battery Grip is "Wow"! The original Canon grip has been successfully returned and this one will replace it! One last thing should be noted, this item, the Meike Grip is not like the Neewer grip as this loads batteries EXACTLY like the OEM grip and the Neewer loads like the old Canon grips, from the back. If you don't mind aftermarket knockoff's, then THIS IS THE BATTERY GRIP FOR YOUR CANON 60D!

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., March 20, 2012
Like a lot of other reviewers, I decided to take the leap of faith in buying this product over the over-priced Canon unit.

Personally, I think the Canon accessories are obscenely over-priced, and refuse to bend over to buy them. When I received this battery Grip, I was simply amazed! The quality was obvious, and it felt perfect in my hand.

On the camera, it looks and feels exactly like the Canon unit, for 25% of the price! The rubber grip areas really feel great, and the buttons and battery trays work just fine.

My advice is to save your money and buy this brand with confidence. I have already bought the same version for my 7D because I am so happy with it.

UPDATE: I was obviously premature in my praise for this item. On my second field trip with this grip, it malfunctioned when I turned the camera on. The camera told me it couldn't communicate with the left battery, so I basically had a one battery grip.
After returning home, I charged the batteries and tried to get the grip to work again. When I did so, the camera "battery info" menu showed a locked screen, even when I changed to the AA battery cassette.
Needless to say, I rolled the dice and lost. I hope the one I have on my 7D doesn't suffer the same fate. Bottom line...buyer beware!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working, October 27, 2011
It started out working fine, for a little while. then the camera started showing Low Batt, when the battery was stile good. Now it doesn't turn the camera on. re-inserting the grip some-times fixes this, but it's pretty much stopped working.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Grip, April 19, 2011
Jordan Grosz "FED250" (Altamonte Springs, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I was very happy with this grip. Its fairly sturdy and well built specially for the price. The buttons and dial felt great too. The only thing that seemed a little cheap was the on off switch. This looks like an original Canon grip on the camera and I bet most people would have a hard time telling the difference without careful inspection. This is one of the best purchases I have recently made. The price was cheap enough that I was willing to take a risk on a third party product and boy am I glad I did. This adds the bulk that the 60D is lacking while using larger lenses. There are two variations of third party grips floating around on Amazon and this one seems to be the better of them. It is made by a company called Mieke and looks far more like the original grip does. My only suggestion is to pass on the grip plus battery combos because I have yet to see one that has batteries with info chips. That means not only can you not get a display of the battery power and shots remaining but that it also WILL NOT CHARGE in an original Canon charger and you will need to buy extra off brand charger. I ended up buying a Maximal Power battery with info chip separately and it seems to work and read just fine with all the Canon products. Most the time I always say you get what you pay for and am a big advocate of paying more for quality, but this is one of those rare occasions were the cheap version is just as good as the one that is literally 6x more expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupid Good Deal!, October 10, 2011
I didn't have very high expectations for this product, especially given the price. When it arrived, I was completely blown away. The quality is high, the fit and finish are perfect, and everything just works. The camera knows the grip is there, and even shows the battery status of each battery in the grip. There's not much more to say other than this is an amazing deal, and you won't regret this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars super pleased, April 15, 2011
I purchased this battery grip for my new D60 wth the thought I would use it until I could get the Canon version. When I put it on my camera I was pleased with the fit and looks of this product. I am so pleased with it I do not plan to add the Canon version. It works as advertised. I have had zero problems. I am a sports photographer and have used it alot. I shoot sports events 3-4 times a week so it is getting a work out. I recommend it to everyone. It makes my camera easier to hold, makes taking verical photos much easier and comes with the AA battery drawer to use as a back up to the regular camera batteries. I have the Canon verision on my other camera and I think this one is as good and did not cost almost $200.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One word... "WOW", October 3, 2011
there is no point on spending extra hundred dollars on a more expensive grip. This one does the job PERFECTLY and is really cheap comparing to the rest of grips out there...

Corrects the uncomfortable grip on vertical shots.

THIS IS A MUST BUY item!

One word... "WOW!"

4.0 out of 5 stars An inexpensive and almost indistinguishable alternative, September 24, 2011
I've owned and have been using this grip for a few weeks now. When purchasing my 60D kit, my budget was limited and I wanted to get the most functionality for my dollar. I was afraid a vertical grip would need to wait a little while until I discovered this grip.

I've had a Canon grip on a 50D for several years. This off-brand grip looks and feels practically identical (other than the 50D/60D differences). Visually, when it's connected to your camera, you can't tell it's a generic. If you're really paying attention, it feels slightly different, but that sensation went away within minutes of shooting with it.

I have very large hands, and the 60D felt small and clumsy without an attached vertical grip. Adding this unit made a huge improvement for me.

As others have noted, this item might come with a differently branded box than the brand mentioned. Mine did as well. Other reviews have mentioned an awful adhesive smell at first. Mine had a trace of that scent (and I have a pretty strong olfactory) but it was neither disruptive or long-lasting.

I can't speak to the longevity of this piece yet, but it exceeded my expectations for a lot less money. If you're on a budget and it doesn't bother you to not have a brand name grip, go with this!

Rate and Discover Movies