1,886
Price:$17.66 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

1,071 of 1,079 people found the following review helpful
TOP 100 REVIEWERon May 4, 2010
Color Name: 5-in-1Verified Purchase
I have edited this review to keep up with my new review format, but the sentiments haven't changed!

CONSTRUCTION
Let's start with this: Is this of the same quality as a pro reflector? No. I am already feeling the rim starting to bend in places and ways it shouldn't, but I do not anticipate it breaking any time soon. The panels themselves are made of good quality material, and so far the case has withstood many travels! As one commenter helpfully pointed out, "the reflector folds up into a 16" diameter carrying case that is roughly 3.5" (but can be compressed to about one half that)".

FUNCTION
Does this thing work like it should? Absolutely. As I mentioned it is made of good materials and has held up very well so far. I am a pro photographer, but never above a good deal - I am a big supporter of "the little guy". The versatility of this little reflector is excellent - you can use it for almost any situation, and I find myself switching from silver to gold to translucent within the same shoot, because we all know that changing an angle outdoors can completely change your lighting! Works quite nicely as a shoot-through if you have an assistant to hold it!

OVERALL
Would I buy this again? Absolutely. The sheer quality of this reflector at the price paid, makes the "best bang for your buck" cliché almost bearable! Out of all of my photog friends, not one can pick this out as a budget reflector, and several have been converted. It has stood up to the test of time (see updates below), and that is all I can ask or expect.

Cheap.
Works.
Recommended.

**EDIT**

Almost a year, and PLENTY of shoots later, and this great piece of equipment is still going strong!!! I use this thing on most out door shoots which don't require off camera flash, and for portraits you can't go wrong! Highly recommended still! You can either order from Papa John's this week or get an excellent Reflector...your choice.

**EDIT 2**
It has now been 23 months, and the only issue I have had is some loose threads from the hanging loop. I cut them off, burned them with a lighter to stop any future deterioration and so far I have had no issues. My initial worries about it bending in the wrong places have been totally wiped out - this thing is still going strong. Highly recommended!
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 22, 2010
Color Name: 5-in-1Verified Purchase
When I say "cheap", I don't mean poor quality. I mean inexpensive. Digital Juice sells theirs online for $100- and it's the same thing! I have no complaints. This thing works great. But, let's say, for the sake of argument, that it IS poorer quality and only lasts 1/2 as long as the one digital juice sells. So what?! It's only $17! I can buy several more- and still pay less!
on January 29, 2010
Color Name: 5-in-1Verified Purchase
Does the job its supposed to. When you get one of these, if you don't already know, look on Y-tube how to fold one back up and put into the case. The case is as big as a medium pizza pan; the disc is large enough to conceal half an average adult body.
Customer service was A+ to correct a slight issue with the order.
Would do business again with seller since they made the correction painless.

DT
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 24, 2011
Color Name: 5-in-1Verified Purchase
The product is great, does an amazing job, and is very valuable for such a good price.

PROS: Great quality, works well at refracting/diffusing light, several color options, compact and easy to carry, incredible value for price

CONS: slightly smaller compared to the rectangular ones, can be difficult to fold for some

OVERALL: Great product for the cost, highly recommended.

----END OF REVIEW----

TO FOLD FOR STORAGE:
1. Hold in front of you like a steering wheel but with hands at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock
2. Release right hand grip, turn hand and regrip so thumb is pointing down (now ready to fold)
3. Twist wrists in opposite directions (right hand towards you and left away, creating figure 8)
4. Bring hands together as you twist
5. Reflector will be in 3 layers and middle will tuck into other two. Don't be afraid to use a little pressure!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2012
Color Name: 5-in-1Verified Purchase
Works great and nice small pouch that the reflector easily folds into it. I had already owned windshield sun reflectors that were same design, so folding it back to its pouch was very easy. see my sample shots with and without reflector in pruduct images.
review image review image
on October 27, 2010
Color Name: 5-in-1Verified Purchase
I used this 5-in-1 reflector for a while and I can't say anything bad about the quality. However, I would not buy it again and just replaced it by this product which is the same price range:

Fotodiox 42" Silver/White Reflector Pro, Premium Grade Collapsible Disc

I recommend not buying a 5-in-1 reflector in general but rather go for a silver+white one. Here is why:

The 5-in-1 reflector has these two combinations available: silver+black and gold+white (and the softbox inside part that is not so great because too thin anyway). For changing between the two you need to unzip the surface, flip it inside-out and pull it over the frame again. Nothing you really want to do outside in the middle of a photo shoot. And that is the problem for me because I only need silver+white, a combination unfortunately not given.

Why you need silver+white:
The silver side is highly reflective and brightens up your subject quite extreme. It brightens both, shadows and highlights. It does not change the color of the available light. You need to be very careful to not blind your subject. It works best when you have an assistant holding the reflector from a more far away angle.
The white side brightens up the shadows way more than the highlights and thus producing a more soft light. It is not as bright as the silver side so you can operate closer/more straight at your subject.

Why you don't need gold:
The gold side works basically like the silver side (see above) but adds a warm color to the photo. In fact it discolors your subject and it will look super yellow-ish. In the world of digital post-processing that is nothing you would ever want! Making a cold-ish photo warmer with white balance or color-overlay is easy, but removing a yellow-taint from your subject without making the other colors look dull or unnatural is not that easy.

Conclusion:
While I still give this product a 3-star rating for "It's OK", I would always highly recommend not buying it for the above reasons (surface change a pain + 3 of 5 surfaces not needed). However if you're absolutely sure that you need a gold reflector (or black...!?) then go for it, the quality is great for the price.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 1, 2010
Color Name: 5-in-1Verified Purchase
There are many available reflectors on the market, and numerous collapsible
versions. This reflector works just great and is available at a very low price.

I used it within minutes of its arrival, and had excellent results.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2010
Verified Purchase
Due to price was expecting terrible quality but was surprised to find just the opposite.

This is a solid reflector as good if not better then most any other in it's class. If your on a tight budget or looking to save some cash don't be put off by the price.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 14, 2012
Verified Purchase
The product was delivered when they said it would be and the packaging was sufficient. I received this product this morning and put it to the test.

First of all, this thing is huge. It's about the size of a small poker or bumper pool table, which I like. It's not too big that one person can't wield it, but I could see how things would get interesting on a windy day. The bag that it came in is quite flimsy, but I don't see that being too much of a problem. Once you pop it open (and it will pop, so watch out), everything appears to be pretty standard. Silver/black on one side and gold/white on the other, with the core being translucent. The fabric that the silver/gold sides is made out of is nice and doesn't look like it will shed a bunch of glitter all over my assistants/models once it starts to wear. Almost every review that I've read mentions the zippers, and yes, they ARE tricky. I've found that if you just bend the inner ring down away from the zipper when you're unzipping it, its no big deal. Don't let the other reviews fool you. It's just a function of the inner ring fitting tight against the reflective sleeve. There are no design flaws in the zippers.

When I tested it out, the sun was coming up through some french doors to the east and I had subject with their back to the windows. I set up my tripod and leaned this reflector against it at a 45 degree angle, silver side facing my subject/sun. Once I had the exposure dialed in, WOW. This thing just wrapped my subject in beautiful, diffuse light from underneath. That one picture sold me on this product. I can't wait to use it more.

p.s. I also own a 43" reflector from Opteka. The items are almost identical, except this one is about 1/4" smaller. Also, this one has more wrinkles in the reflective fabrics when fully opened. I don't foresee this being a problem as they are both quite wrinkly. These two products are so similar that I had to mark one with a permanent marker so I can tell them apart and put them in the correct bag when I'm packing up from a shoot.
on November 18, 2010
Color Name: 5-in-1Verified Purchase
I shoot a lot of fashion/editorial photography so I wanted a good reflector to help bounce light in outdoor shoots. After looking at a few, I decided this seemed like a fair price and a lot of versatility, so I ordered it.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see that in addition to being a reflector, the center part was a good thick silk, and not just a white bounce card like I had assumed. I absolutely love it, and it has been such a great tool for shooting portraits in harsh sunlight.

Everything collapses easily into a manageable sized case. If you need to bounce or diffuse light I highly recommend this set and this seller.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations