1,039 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed for the price
***NOTE*** THIS IS A MANUAL FLASH...YOU CANNOT USE YOUR CANON CAMERA FLASH MENU TO CONTROL THE FLASH.

Published on December 20, 2011 by Sylvester The Photographer Potter

3.0 out of 5 stars it's OKAY for the price
positives:
(1). comes with a built in bounce card and wide angle diffuser (you dont even need this with anything narrower than 18mm)
(2). 8 steps of manual control in 1/8th stop increments (1/128, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1/1)
(3). has an auto overheat shutoff
(4). has a PC sync cord so it can be used with PC capable light meters and...
Published 14 months ago by walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed for the price, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite for Canon Nikon Sony Panasonic Olympus Fujifilm Pentax Sigma Minolta Leica and Other SLR Digital SLR Film SLR Cameras and Digital Cameras with single-contact Hot Shoe (Electronics)

I must say, I didn't have high expectations for this flash. I checked some of the reviews and they were mixed, but reviews are a small part of the reason I make a purchase. The flash is pretty well built for the price range, and seems like it will last for a long time. The optical slave NEVER misses, and it's extremely sensitive even when it's turned in the opposite direction of the master flash. Even though I'm a professional Photographer...to me...Light is light no matter where it comes from. If your flash cost you $500...can I use this flash an create the same image?...You bet I can...How you use your equipment is more important than what equipment you have. Don't get me wrong though...more expensive pieces of equipment usually have more options and allow you certain freedoms, but ehhh...learn with the cheap stuff, and once you see your limits with this equipment...move on from there.

******************************************

Update!!!!: 9/11/2013

First of all (today is 9/11) my condolences to those who have lost loved ones as I did in the attacks)

It has been ALMOST 2 years since I've purchased 3 of these flashes, and they are still working PERFECTLY!!!
I'm not a fan of spending money on things that will breakdown in the future, and these flashes have been banged around and thrown all over the place yet they still continue to produce excellent light for my photography needs.

I usually use them for background, hair lights, and sometimes as a filler when it's needed and they have been great. The construction is solid, ease of use is key, optical slave is super sensitive and reliable. When you have good batteries in them...the recycle time is quick. I recommend VERY good rechargeable batteries (eneloop and powerex have never failed me).

******************************************
Update: 12/9/2013

I ordered another one today to use as another slave...the other 3 that I have are still working perfectly fine and I have never had a problem with them at all. for such a cheap product...it's pretty shocking that they last this long and contunue to fire on command in slave mode without a miss!!!! I might be getting 2 more of these for a total of 6...some of my light setups are very elaborate, and I've learned the distance to power ratio in my studio of these flashes and never need to meter tham...they add light just where I need it when I have a snoot on each one. PERFECT!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars For a straight forward on or off camera flash, the TT-560 works great!, August 17, 2011
The Godox TT560 (released in America from NEEWER) is a Speedlite that has received positive reviews from budget photographers in Asia. Released in Jan. 2010, there is not much known about this flash and because it was around the same pricepoint as YN-560, people flocked to the Yongnuo flashes for their budget strobist needs.

Well, in August 2011, the TT560 went from $60 to the $40-range and many who noticed the price drop, flocked to Amazon to purchase this flash.

While the photos and video of this flash have shown pretty positive photos from our Asian counterparts, their reviews were positive because it gave quite a bang for the buck and it was easily accessible.

So, let's take a look at the TT560 Neewer (Godox) Speedlite.

I. UNBOXING AND SETUP

The TT560, similar to Yongnuo's YN-560 comes in a black pouch, stand and instructions.

Comparisons can be made in look of the TT560 as it has a reflection board and built-in wide panel, optical control sensor, lock ring and hot shoe stand. The hotshoe stand is plastic and takes 4 double AA batteries (which I used four Eneloops).

On the back, you will notice that it has an output level indicator, mode select (M=manual, S1, S2), Charging Indicator, Test button and Power Switch. It is important to note that this flash does not come with a Zoom for the flash.

The indicator are in blue LED's while the power is the red LED dot.

POWER SAVING FUNCTION: The flash does come with a power-saving function which will go into standby mode in about 30 minutes of idle use. Press any button to wake it up.

PROTECTION FUNCTION: To prevent from overheating, the following is important to know:

POWER LEVEL 1/1, 1/2 - 20 Flashes which will activated over-temperature protection
POWER LEVEL 1/4, 1/8 - 40 Flashes which will activated over-temperature protection
POWER LEVEL 1/16,1/32 - 80 Flashes which will activated over-temperature protection
POWER LEVEL 1/64, 1/128 - 160 Flashes which will activated over-temperature protection

SPECS:
According to the document, this is a Guide number 38 (ISO 100) Flash, Vertical Rotation (0-90 degrees), Horizontal Rotation (0-270 Degrees), Color Temperature 56000K+/- 200K

II. TEST

I am testing this on a Canon T3i:

On-Camera Flash - It's important to note that this is not an E-TTL flash. But you probably don't need it as you can control the flash power levels through the back of the flash. Everything worked as the flash was supposed to, so I can't complain. As an On-Camera Flash, because of it's price...with the Sunpak PFX30 being the next cheaper alternative (with E-TTL), the TT560 pretty much gives more bang for the buck at $40+.

I have not used this Flash for a long period of time to see how quality is over long use but I did contact people in Asia who are using it and they have said the flash is still working and they use it in their strobist setup today. So, that's good news!

Off-Camera Flash - My main purpose for this Flash was to use it in addition to my YN-560 flash. Zoom was not important for me as I have the YN-560's for that. But what was important for me was that it worked with the RF-603C trigger/receiver/tranceiver. After finding out that the Sunpak PFX30 did not work, I took the risk of purchasing this flash, not knowing if it worked or not but fortunately, this flash did work with the Yongnuo RF-603's.

I then started taking a few photos with the Flash in rapid succession and recycle time was fairly quick. According to the instructions (0-1.5 seconds via AA Alkaline).

So, using it along with the YN-560's, I was able to use this flash with no problems whatsoever.

JUDGMENT CALL:

The Neewer (or Godox) TT560 is a straightforward flash and most importantly, my primary needs was to control the output and that it worked on my RF-603C. Granted, it didn't come with zoom and that is why I bypassed it at $59, when I could get the YN-560's (or even another Yongnuo flash for the same price).

At $40, it was great price (prices tend to fluctuate as of late between $40-$50) and it serves as another flash for my setup. It's rival right now probably is the older YN-460II and which one would I would recommend, it's pretty much subjective as they are the same cost but because I didn't need a zoom, while the YN-460II had a metal shoe, the TT560 has a shoe lock. Also, more people have experienced problems with the 460 and obviously, there are hardly negatives on this TT560 at this time. For now, I give a thumbs up to this flash, for its price and functions.

For On or off-camera use, this flash is definitely worth buying and at least worth considering if you are looking into inexpensive multiple flash. At $40, I'm not going to complain...it's actually a solid deal!

Pros:
- Power Saving and Protection Functions
- Easy to use buttons
- Horizontal/Vertical Swivel
- Wide Angle Diffuser
- Flash stand with needed threaded hole
- Great for On and Off-Camera Use - Manual and Slave Mode 1, 2
- Fast recycling charge
- Shoe Lock
- Price (if in the $40's)
- Works with RF-603

Cons:
- Lack of Zoom
- Plastic Shoe
- Lack of PC cord socket

3.0 out of 5 stars it's OKAY for the price, May 7, 2013
positives:
(3). has an auto overheat shutoff
(4). has a PC sync cord so it can be used with PC capable light meters and cameras.
(5). the controls are super simple, bright, and easy to see even at a glance
(6). rotates 270 degrees and tilts from 0 to 90 degrees
(7). it feels nice in the hand. heavy but not bulky or overweighted. doesn't feel cheap, the hot shoe locking screw is secure but not too tight. there's no rattling or any sort of movement that's unwanted. stays securely on your hot shoe.
(8). HAS A SLAVE MODE. the slave is super sensitive and fires every time if you give it time to recharge (.1s for 1/164 and 5s for 1/1) and it even has a "slave 2 mode" that will fire only once your master and 1st slave have fired.
(9). CHEAP AS HELL
now for the negatives
(1). tilting the head from the horizontal to vertical position works like it should and clicks into the designated 45, 60, and 75 degree positions without a problem but when tilting it back from vertical to horizontally seems to get caught on something and takes more force and makes a different sound than the clicking that it should when changing the angle.
(2). the battery chamber has a problem. some brands of AA batteries work fine but others dont meet the contacts like they should. i tested the batteries and made sure they weren't just dead but there's just a problem with the way that batteries fit in the compartment. here's what i've found:
Energizer regular and rechargeable = works fine
Duracell = works fine
panasonic regular and rechargeable = will not work
i tried everything with the panasonic batteries. i switched the order of them, wiped off the leads and even scuffed them up a little with some sandpaper, i tried everything. panasonic batteries and this flash just dont like each other. sorry.
**if you've tested any other brands of normal or rechargeable batteries and can tell if they do or dont work please comment below to let others know.**

5.0 out of 5 stars For me, it was a steal!, March 31, 2012
Length:: 1:21 Mins

Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite For Canon/Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

I just got these in after reading so many good reviews. From the view point of someone who just loves taking pictures as a hobby, these were just what i was looking for since I'm on a strict tight budget. I was saving up for Canon's 430EXII or something like that the one that costs around $450ish but after looking at this i thought its too cheap, maybe i should just save but now I'm glad i got it, 2 actually.

Right out of the box they feel light and feels closer to what the top of the canon t3i body feels like (By the way I'm doing this review on the Canon T3i). Both came with horseshoes and i love how it came with a diffuser and white card on top. I first loaded the flash on the camera and though you can't control its output through the camera the LED lights on the flash aren't hard to read. it has 8 LEDs on the left from small to long reflecting on the amount of light it produces. There was M, S1, S2 and a power LED. Its easy to change output and mode but since I'm new to the flash accessories one of my friends was upset that the time it took to cycle to the next flash was too long which i thought was not accurate unless your use to expensive flashes. The cycle time on the short output was less than a second and the large burst was a couple of seconds tell you could fire it up again. (Also depends on how much low batteries where, one cycled quicker than the other and i have older batteries in it and newer ones in the other.

Using the ETTL setting on the Canon, i was able to fire all flashes (On board, and both TT560's wirelessly together).
Sure its a bit not comfortable having to walk to the flashes individually to change output but for a fraction of the cost i think its worth it. I was also a good ways from the flashes when i fired them, around 15~20ft.

I love theses flashes so far, they do what i need them to do, im still learning how to adjust them and use them but they are great for the price.

***NOTE***

on the Canon T3i, under flash control you needed to go to on board flash and from there use custom function. From there select channels and you can't fire the flashes by themselves or at least i haven't figured out how to, i tried but the on board flash went off anyway or in one time it didn't fire the flashes at all. It gives you options to change ratio of how much light comes from the on board one and i still need to play with that other than that no problems whatsoever.

***UPDATE***
I've been using the flash for awhile and still loving it. I recently discovered using it on the camera, you have to have the flash set to M and it WILL NOT FIRE in live view so to use it on the camera instead of onboard camera you need to have it on M and not use live view. Using it off camera i thought you needed to have the infrared pointed at the camera but noticed yesterday taking pictures i had it behind the camera and it still fired using S1, but it could of been because the Flash from the onboard flash going off, i'll look into that more. I made a video showing sample pictures from someone who doesn't use professional equipment on a couple of websites so i'll share what i found here. I think it needs a bit of re-editing though since i made it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied with the product for the very affordable price., December 22, 2011
I wasn't planning on using and reviewing this product until after the holidays but I simply could not resist.

I connected it to a Nikon D5100 and it seems to work perfectly. Knowing that this speedlight doesn't have Nikon SB's TTL capabilities, one has to calculate (guess?) the correct power according to distance, f-stop and shutter speed. The flash also works great with off-camera hot shoe triggers and it's slave functions (S1 and S2) seems to be working accordingly when triggered by a master flash.

All-in-all this seems to be a good and cheap alternative to Nikon's higher end speedlights, providing you take the time to learn how to work a flash manually. This speedlight would also be a great backup or as a supplementary fill light. I would recommend this product and would probably purchase 1 more in the near future, as long as this current one stays good and in working condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Regrets..but know what you are buying, February 23, 2013
I researched and read and researched some more about this flash..I didn't want to end up with a $40 hunk of plastic and I can't afford the Canon Speedlite flashes. I am using it with a Canon3ti and have been very happy with the flash so far. It is huge, but doesn't make the camera too heavy to hand hold. Even as a complete beginner at using an external flash, I am amazed at what I can do with this flash.

It has some features that even the mid-range Speedlites don't: 1)It can be a "slave" or on camera flash. 2)It rotates to make horizontal and vertical format photos possible...I can bounce light pretty much however I want.

Some things that to know before you buy: 1) It is a manual flash. It will "work" fine with the Canon 3ti but there isn't any TTL metering. That means you can't just expect to push a button and get the perfect shot. For me right now there is still a fair amount of guess work involved..but it isn't too hard to get the right exposure. You will need to play with the flash strength settings and know how to use the shutter speed priority and aperture priority settings on the camera. I seem to have the best luck in shutter speed priority mode with an ISO of 400 or 800 indoors. If you are still doing everything in auto mode..wait a bit to buy the flash. 2) With the Canon 3ti in Live View mode the flash will not work, period. I thought this would be a huge deal, but it isn't. I take the picture using the viewfinder and then quickly review it to dial in the right settings..I haven't missed the Live View much at all. 3)It works as a "slave" with the Canon 3ti..but the on camera flash will still fire in order to trigger the Neewer. It is a little annoying to have the less than stellar on camera flash still firing. I end up just playing around with flash position and exposure/flash settings to overcome the on camera flash...it isn't the Neewer's fault on this one. I think there is a way to set the ratio of the strength of each flash, but I haven't completely figured that out yet.

If you aren't afraid to play with your camera's settings and are ready to venture away from snap shots..don't hesitate to try this flash. If you have a spare $500 or so laying around, go get the Canon Speedlite with TTL metering and high speed sync..if you don't know what those terms mean, don't buy an external flash yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's rare for me to write a review, however..., November 3, 2013
A. C. Hepworth "americanamama" (Orderville, UT United States) - See all my reviews
I only write reviews on products that I'm especially impressed with. I won't go into too much technical detail because that has been covered in other reviews. I'm aiming my review at beginner flash users who might be wondering whether to "settle" for this much less expensive flash or whether to hold out for the name brand. Maybe you don't know whether you even need a flash at all and want to give one a try without making a big investment - if that's you, go no further!

I actually bought this flash because a first time flash user I know used it (for one day before sending it back) and didn't like it. I was puzzled by that because the reviews had been so good by people who were obviously knowledgeable, so I bought the flash out of pure curiosity since the price is SO GOOD. I used it a bunch last night and today and actually REALLY liked it, and realized that the only reason my friend didn't like it is that she doesn't know how to use an external flash without getting that harsh, blown out, "flashed", look and she wouldn't have been happy with any flash. I own the Nikon sb-600 and the sb-800 and I like this flash every bit as well, if not better. Here are the reasons why:

1. It is simple and straightforward. You don't have to be knowledgeable to immediately, intuitively, know how to use it. Just turn it on, hit + or - to adjust the power and there you go. Yes, there's no TTL, but I only use my flashes on manual anyway, so I won't miss it. The only problem for beginner users is that you need to make sure to set your shutter not to go faster than 1/200 or 1/250, or you will get shutter banding on the top and bottom of your images. TTL flashes automatically control this for you, but for me this is no big deal. I just set it on 1/250 and adjust aperture, ISO, and flash power to compensate.

2. It has a rotating head (the most important feature in a flash for me because I ALWAYS bounce it off the wall, ceiling, or card) and you don't have to push in a button in order for the head to rotate, which can sometimes be a pain and slow me down with my name brand flashes. It feels very sturdy and solid; the head will certainly stay in place in whatever position you put it in. It also has the same pull out diffuser and bounce card that my more expensive flashes do, which is a huge plus for me as well.

3. It has plenty of power and the recovery time (with high quality rechargeable batteries, as mentioned before) is at least as good as my Nikon flashes. It will fire continuously on the lower settings with no lag. I didn't work it too hard, but I fired it more rapidly than I normally would and it just kept poppin'. (At the higher settings there was some recharge lag, but no more than on my Nikon flashes.)

4. I know this won't apply to most users, but I like the fact that it will go from Canon to Nikon because I actually own both. I've tried it on my Nikons (D600 and D700) and my Canon 6d and it worked the same either way. I've only owned the Canon for a short time and hadn't bought a name brand flash for it yet, and don't plan to now that I've got this one.

Overall, I think this is the best deal in camera equipment I've found. I'm a big believer in full frame cameras and high quality glass, but the quality of light coming out of a flash is the same across the board - as long as the flash is sturdy and dependable (as this one seems to be) and has a few of the bells and whistles (like rotating head and diffuser and bouncer) that I require, I'm happy. And it works as a slave too? Ridiculously good deal. I'm tempted to sell my other 2 flashes and get another one of these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great deal for flash for Canon 7D, October 29, 2011
I have been using this flash with my Canon 7D with no problems. The recovery time is very quick and it can keep up with the 8 frames per second speed. The only downside is there is no external cable to use when it is not attached to the camera. For $40 bucks its worth the purchase even as a back up.

5.0 out of 5 stars This flash is awesome!!, January 16, 2012
I bought this a few weeks ago and I must say it feels like I won a million bucks! I paid only $39.95 plus free shipping on this item.
So I tested this flash on my Canon 60D right away and it sure worked just as expected. It is a manual flash so I set my camera on manual mode and after playing with it for a few minutes I was able to set the power setting pretty fast to get a well exposed photo. In a way this manual flash will give you a better understanding on how to use your camera in full manual mode. If your the kind of person who likes it the easy way and doesn't have the patience to figure things out then maybe you need to look for an E-TTL flash. Also, I like that it swivels all the way around, that gives it flexibility. I also likes to point it up the ceiling and it gives a more natural look on my subject. You can also set it to Slave mode so you can take it off your camera and trigger it via your camera flash. Just set your internal camera flash to the lowest setting to trigger the TT560 and it will be just fine. This item also comes with a pouch and a stand which is cool. I love it so far and I will definitely buy at least 2 more to complete my strobing equipments.

UPDATE: 02/04/2012

I recently used this flash for one of my clients special event to fully test out it's capabilities. I did not have any problem at all using this flash. Recycle time was fast and no misfires. It fired the whole time and my Sanyo NEW 1500 eneloop 8 Pack AA Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries did not run out after 400 flashes. I was really pleased that it handled just like my other expensive flashes. I ordered another one.

Update 8-26-2012

I have used this flash extensively and still works until today. I read some reviews that theres did not last and died after a month.. I guess I got lucky. For the price it is really worth it. If you get a lemon too bad. You get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly simple, January 5, 2012
My first impression was that this is a crisp piece of gear. I had some old-school manual flashes back in the day I had a portable, optical-trigger system ... and figured a more modern version of the same thing would await me when I unpacked it. Instead, I found the controls firm, precise, and the LED readouts - while simple - remarkably clean and easy to use right out of the box. (As in, manual? Whatfor read the manual? Me man. Me not need manual. )

I'll be honest with you, I simply wanted a spare flash for use on a radio-trigger, and simply bought the cheapest thing I could find on Amazon (after giving it the review-test first.) Hence, I was utterly stunned when I learned that this flash works also as an optically triggered slave! Now, I've not yet battle tested it but I ran a test using my existing high-end flash as a bounce to trigger the Neewar tt560. (OK, read the manual: it has some interesting "Chinglish" instructions, but is informative enough.)

I love the power output on this. First off, with new batteries, it leaps to life (can't say that about my $550 Canon 580EX flash). And let's be honest, this thing has ooomph.

Now, before I continue ... a warning: I'm one of those old-fart photogs, the kind that remembers hand-wound cameras and manual flash settings ... so this gizmo didn't scare me. If you're not capable of understanding how to balance light, exposure, distancing, and at least intuit exposure settings off a camera - don't buy this. Potential buyers must understand it will NOT read exposure evaluation off the camera one iota. Whatever light output you set it to give, it's gonna give, be it 1/250 @f8 or 1/14 at f2.8. That said, a little guessing and it would work well off almost any camera.

Now. Back to some testing.

I placed my subject .... actually, my subject was "Winnie," our adopted shelter cat, and Winnie was already quite co-operatively asleep on a couch. I parked the Neewer tt560 about three meters (ten feet for folks south of the 49th parallel) and rigged it to trigger from a powered-down Canon flash bounced off the ceiling. Now, without going into grand detail, I set the camera to be about an easy three stops under-exposed (read: dark, way dark) and put the Neewar on its third setting. At 1/250 at f2.8, the light was immense and perfect. I tinkered a little, finding the right light balance, and soon found myself remembering some of that old-school manual flash setting data buried in the back of my 46-year-old brain.

I will update, if I remember (I am 46, and a man, so don't expect much) to do so. I plan on trying to use this tomorrow night at a hockey game in a barn that's the worst-lit corner of Hades I have ever worked in - in an optically triggered mode. Wish me luck.

Rate and Discover Movies