5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, why spend more?
Published on September 26, 2011 by PhotoGraphics

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, Nice Build, Useless Range
Published on August 31, 2011 by I.B. Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, why spend more?, September 26, 2011
This review is from: Neewer IR Wireless RC-6 Shutter Release Remote Control for Canon EOS 60D 70D 7D Rebel T5i, T4i, T3i, T2i, T1i, XSi, Xti, XT, SL1 / 700D 650D 600D 550D 500D 450D 400D 350D 100D (Electronics)
This remote from Neewer (which has the Shoot brand on it) is not just similar to the one with the Canon name brand on it, it is the same unit. The only difference is that to get the Canon-branded remote you pay a whopping 83% more. The selling price for this remote was so low I was actually concerned that it was either junk or the seller was a fly-by-night. Not true on either score. It worked perfectly out of the box on my Canon 60D, was well packaged, came with battery and a basic instruction manual and the seller had it to me much sooner than I expected (it doesn't qualify for Prime so I expected to wait at least another week). Shipping charges were MUCH lower than expected - basically actual cost to the seller.

The remote itself isn't rocket science so I won't go into a lot of techie details. It is small enough to fit easily in the accessory pouch of my camera case, comfortable to hold and has a large curved disc that helps you slide your thumb exactly over the raised release button without having to look at the switch. That makes it easy to hold inconspicuously at your side. You also have the option of setting a slide switch on the back of the case to permit a 2-second delay after pushing the button. That way you can push the button and put your hands wherever you want to. A third option is if you set your camera to "bulb" one push will open the shutter and a second push will close the shutter ... no need to hold the button in.

Most people don't like self-timers for good reason - the mad dash to get into the frame with your group usually results in unnatural photos. With a wireless remote you can concentrate on having fun without the stress.

Time will tell how long this remote will last, not that I plan to use it every day anyway, but if it fails I'm not too concerned. I can buy 6 more of them for the price of one Canon-branded unit.

PS - I'm choosing to reinsert the little plastic tab that came with the remote to keep the battery from making contact (so it didn't accidentally discharge in shipping). It's easy to slide back in and I think it will help prolong the battery life if the button gets pushed while in my carrying case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap remote works well on Canon 60D, July 28, 2011
Adam Walpert (Upper Saddle River, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I got this as a cheap alternative to the Canon remote, and it works great. On my Canon 60D I change the drive mode to timer/remote, and point the remote at the front of the camera. It works! This remote also has a 2 second delay switch on the back of the remote, which works as advertised - press the remote button, the signal is sent to the camera (AF assist light blinks) then the shutter triggers after 2 seconds. Regardless of the shutter delay set by the camera, the remote will trigger the shutter immediately or after 2 seconds, depending on the remote's chosen mode. It takes a CR2025 3V lithium cell (conveniently included and pre-installed). As for range, indoors it works up to 24 feet away (tested by me) and it does not seem to be affected by ambient light levels, though I have not tried it in sunlight. One drawback is that it cannot wake the camera from power-saving or sleep mode (e.g. if it is powered on but has not been used for a few minutes), but this is not a flaw of the remote - to avoid this issue, just change your camera settings so that it never goes to sleep. For less than $5, can't be beat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, Nice Build, Useless Range, August 31, 2011
I bought this unit because I wanted to be able to join in the group photos I've been taking without having to use a timer. When I opened the packaged I was pleasantly surprised by the small size (2.5"x1.25"), and quality build. Next step was to setup my camera to use the device, which actually just required setting the camera to "remote activation", two button presses. I click the button and "snap" - very pleased at that moment. Then I walk in front of it, and back up enough to be within range for a full body shot(50mm lens on crop), I press the button and nothing. I had to walk to within 5-6 feet to get the remote to work.

In the end it failed for my intended purpose, but I will keep it for remote activation when on a tripod for telephoto work because the price is right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Setup, August 24, 2011
This is a good option for self portrait or if you want to include yourself in a group without running to try to beat the timer. Having a remote control plus seeing the screen on the T3i allows me/us to position ourselves properly for the picture.

I bought this for my T3i. Easy setup. has an option for 2 second delay or immediate shutter release. It will only work in front of the camera. It tried bouncing the signal into the wall like other suggested but it is unpredictable and will only work maybe 5% of the time. The range is about 20 ft when you shoot from the front.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for my Canon 7D - Stills and Video, November 8, 2011
At first I thought I had a dead battery as nothing was happening. Bought a new battery and more of the same. Turned out to be operator ignorance.

To use with the 7D you need to press the little AF-DRIVE button on top of the camera (2nd button from left) and then turn the Quick Control Dial (the large dial to the right of the monitor) until you see one of the remote control icons appear in either the LCD panel on top of the camera or the menu in the LCD monitor. The 2nd icon gives you a 2 second delay. Set the switch on the RC-6 control to either immediate or 2 second delay to take a photo.

For video, put the camera in video mode and follow the instructions above with one exception - the RC-6 MUST be set to the 2 second delay. Works great! Just what I was looking for. Click once to start video, click again to stop. If you don't switch to the 2 sec setting it'll just take a still photo.

I get exactly 25 feet of range, which is about as far as I would ever want my camera away from the safety of my hands anyway. Great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an IR remote. Enough said?, January 21, 2013
Wayne (Silicon Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
There's nothing new about the concept of an IR remote control. You could pay a lot to get one from Canon, or you can take any cheap learning remote control to your camera dealer and program it in under a minute. Or you could buy this one, which uses the same technology as any cheap two button remote control. The advantage of this one is that it's small, the same size, shape and layout as the OEM, and has a single button. There's a switch on the back to change it to work in two second mode, so you won't have to worry about pressing the wrong button by mistake.

Given that an IR emitter is a cheap generic component, and the circuitry is also generic, there aren't many shortcuts a manufacturer can take here to give lower quality, except perhaps a low quality battery or a lack of QC. Mine works fine. A small but vocal portion of the reviews are from people whose remotes didn't work. In at least some of the cases it was the camera's fault. (One reviewer mentioned a model of camera that doesn't even have an IR sensor.) And I wouldn't doubt that the QC is nowhere near what Canon does. But I haven't heard from anybody who had eight fail in a row and mine cost $3.20 including shipping. And the negative reviews for the Canon version tend to have the same comments about range or DOA. So if you are willing to live with a small chance of getting a defect and waiting for a replacement, you have little to lose. You are probably less likely to get a defective one from Canon, but they are charging a lot of money for a basic remote control that's far too limited.

The other disadvantage to this model is the poor instructions. But if you know that the switch on the back changes the shutter delay to two seconds, then there's not much else to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars RC-6 Wireless Remote, November 15, 2011
This is a great little remote. I purchased it for my Canon Rebel 2ti and once I figured out how to set the camera setting, it worked perfectly. You can do either 2 second delay or take a picture immediately. There is a small switch on the back to select between the two options. I have a wired remote as well but I don't think I'll be using that one as the RC-6 is so light and easy to use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work, October 16, 2012
I was hoping this would work with my T2i, but it did not. The seller I bought from, Seller1ON1, was excellent, for the record. After receiving the first defective remote, I emailed them and they promptly sent out a new replacement with no charge. When the second remote came and did not work, I emailed again and received reimbursement. Save your time and put your money towards the Canon brand name. My new Canon remote came today and worked flawlessly right away.
For those who say they don't know how to use it, if you do go with the knockoff that comes with no instructions, all you should have to do is make sure the battery is working, set your camera to the timer setting, and point the remote at the sensor on the front of your camera (will not work to the side/behind). That's it. Super simple. When it works. Hope this helps someone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beyond 3 ft...it is no good, December 22, 2011
Despite the 1star rating, this device is not completely useless. It is great if you're shooting with a tripod and standing next to the camera. (minimizing shake)

But beyond 3 ft...it won't allow you to fire the shutter. Do yourself a favor ....get the Canon version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, June 24, 2011
Its a litter smaller than what I thought it was going to be, but that's not a bad thing. It also is a little hard at some angles, that might just be cause the sensor didn't pick it up though, because as soon as I move a foot over it works just fine.

Rate and Discover Movies