5.0 out of 5 stars I Just Settle a collection 20 cents on the dollar
Published on March 8, 2010 by John B. Nuchols

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money
Published 16 months ago by blaze4deuce

5.0 out of 5 stars I Just Settle a collection 20 cents on the dollar, March 8, 2010
I bought this book in January because I have over $29,000 in debt. I have used all the sample letters and used all the advice given in the book. Including sending letters to stop getting calls, and using the advice never to negotiation over the phone on settlements. I even got a internet fax machine that allows me to fax 300 pages a month using my computer for less than 10.00 a month. Its helped greatly to receive and counter settlements quickly. I currently have offers to settle between 30%-50% on my account but using the counter settlement letters to get closer to 20% settlements. I just received a fax an hour ago for a settlement I offer for 20 cent on the dollar on a $7,000 collection for Bank of America. "UPDATE" I have 8 accounts in collections and I have settled with four account in the past four months, and averaging 29 cents on the dollar for full settlements. I borrowed 5,000 from grandparents to make full settlement offers. I will be completely debt free in feb 2011.This book has saved me thousands of dollars! BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Study this book, stay calm, organized, and focused, and you can do it!, May 20, 2010
I bought this book, along with 4 others on debt settlement. This book was the most helpful by far for dealing with creditors and setting up your plan of attack. This book was the only one out of the pile that stayed with me through the whole process. It has lived in my backpack the past 6 months, highlighted and well-read. Currently I am settling with a few creditors for about 30% but am hoping to get the others to go lower.

Why does this book work?
* each paragraph is valuable.
* it's short and to the point, very readable - you will actually read it as opposed to the others!
* it's concise, well-written, and researched thoroughly.
* it's up to date
* the author cares
* the letters in the back are helpful for counter offering
* she advises on legal matters and the psychology behind debt and negotation
* most helpful are the dialoguing and negotiation tips

My advice - really write out what you are going to say (make a dialogue flow chart for yourself) before you speak to creditors. know your story and stick to it. Anticipate them asking about your situation, have an answer. Anticipate rudeness, stay calm. Use Mandy's advice and leverage the power of time. Insist settlement is the only viable option for you at this time. You can do it. I did with the help of this book. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for helping me!, May 24, 2010
N. Steeber (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
After many hours of researching settlement strategies on the internet, I almost bought a "$300.00" system before I found this book. I bought it 6 months ago and read it cover to cover, twice. I was hesitant to take the first step and was scared to talk to the creditors. At first I did not get any offers bettter that 50% and was discouraged. I started to lose hope until a week before the 180 day mark. I was able to settle with 2 companies for under 30% and was ecstatic! I still have 3 more to negotiate, but Mandy's book has given me the confidence that I can do it. She even responded to me personally when my first settlement offer came in from Chase. It was worded vaguely and she gave me great advice! All for a bargain price of the book alone! I'm sure there are other ways to do this, but for the price, service and results it would have been a mistake for me not to have purchased this book. She really takes the fear out of the whole process, which is what I really needed to start.
Best of luck,
Naz

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy The Book!, January 4, 2010
The debt settlement strategies I learned from Negotiate and Settle Your Debts were nothing short of AMAZING. After a couple of failed businesses and a few poor choices I found myself in over my head and over $50,000 in credit card debt. With the strategies that I learned from Negotiate and Settle Your Debts, I am now in the process of settling a $15,500 line of credit for only $3200! Best of all I have positioned myself to totally settle my other cards for as low as 20 cents on the dollar! I don't know what I would have done without this book. I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders. It has truly saved me hundreds of thousands of dollars in payments and interests as well as years of stress. For those of you in need of some serious debt relief, I have three words for you; Buy The Book!

Sincerely,

Motivated One

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Step-By-Step Guide, September 14, 2009
BruceFL (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
To me, this is exactly what a how-to book should be:

Well-organized, concise, easy to follow, and based on the real world- not theory. The very best how-to book would also be contemporary with up-to-date examples of success.

Mandy Akridge's book meets all these criterion, imo.

While I had done some online research into debt settlement, the advice you find can be contradictory, the more you study it. Also, most people giving advice on website forums I suspect haven't really negotiated any debt at all.
Instead, they're often assuming what should work, with no personal experience to back it up.

However, Akridge shows you recent actual credit card letters from her negotiated settlements. And the amount she was able to save is huge. Its all in black and white.

The author walks you through the process step-by-step. You end up knowing what to expect, and what issues you'll face. To me, there were many pearls of wisdom and things that just plain made sense. She doesn't seem to sugar-coat anything, but also leaves you feeling pretty optimistic about settling your debts in this manner.

Value-wise I just don't see how you can go wrong. Debt settlement companies charge a fortune, (I know, I looked into it) other professional services are even more expensive. This is literally a `steal' by comparison.

I'm now convinced you can settle your debts by following this book and I'm glad the author shared her personal experiences.

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, February 27, 2013
This review is from: Negotiate and Settle Your Debts: A Debt Settlement Strategy (Paperback)
I took a shot in the dark and purchased the eBook on a whim and hoped that it would give me some information that would help me in my current situation. It didn't (but hey, it was only like $9). I've read many Dave Ramsey and Suze Orman books, listened to podcast after podcast, have spent hours reading message boards researching topics on debt and credit. I am by no means a financial expert, but the book really didn't provide any ground breaking information or tips. Most of the eBook is common sense.

This is how the book can be summed up:
1. Don't pay any of your credit cards until they are 120+ days late.
2. After that call up the creditors/collectors and pretend you are broke and negotiate a lump sum settlement until they offer you something you can afford. (I did get a kick out of the fact that the author feels that you should be REALLY nice to the creditors/collectors because, after all, they are just human beings doing their job.)

That's basically it. If you are completely clueless and you need any in depth explanation on how to do any of the above, then I suggest purchasing the book. The book is just a documentation on how she paid off her debt. She throws in a tips along the way like: make sure you document everything, don't give creditors/collectors access to your bank account, and other "secrets" along those lines. I suppose it could help some people, but if you have any prior knowledge on the subject or know how to perform a Google search, you probably don't need this book and can get the info for free.

I do feel that I need to note that I did like the sample letters that are included. It was probably the main reason I purchased the eBook(that and the fact I wanted to try out the Kindle app on my phone). But if I wasn't so lazy, I could have found those letters online somewhere.

I applaud the author for settling all her debt, taking the time to publish an eBook, and attempting to help people. . Like I said, the ebook could help some, but I'd recommend other books and sources first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Your Time, May 14, 2010
If you have a lot of credit card debt, this book shows the way to get up to 80% of it "settled." Credit card companies know that if they have to give the account to a collection agency, they will get only 1 to 11 cents on the dollar. It makes a lot more sense for them to settle with you for 20 cents on the dollar. But they may hassle you for 6 months. Certain companies will settle after only two months, but you have to be willing to follow the instructions in this book and to withstand the barrage of phone calls. All companies will try to wear you down with calls. Even if you call them or write letters every week explaining your situation, you're still put on their "rotation" of calls from either robots or real people in "boiler rooms" who are paid to either threaten you or try to get you to agree to make smaller payments for a couple of months to help you "get back on your feet." The author explains why you shouldn't do this. She also gives information on laws that protect consumers, and web sites to visit regarding this challenge. This is a very valuable book. I have friends who have used it to cut their credit card debt by thousands of dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skeptical at first..BUT WOW!!!, March 10, 2012
Amazon Customer (RANCHO CUCAMONGA, CA, US) - See all my reviews
My husband and I were literally drowning in debt. Yes, we had made some very poor mistakes but the majority of our debt was from our small business. I read the reviews and thought to myself, "I could not handle the stress of even attempting it!". A few weeks later as I was writing the checks to my 5 credit cards, I realized that we would not be out of debt until 2017! I decided to followed the steps, re-read this book nearly 3 times and then jumped in! I settled my $26,000 in credit card debt for just under $8000.00. I took six months to complete the task. We are much wiser and now have a very clear budget and plan to rebuild our credit. All but 2 of the credit card companies actually offered to open another credit card to help rebuild our credit again. We have declined only to become accustomed to living a cash only lifestyle. I sleep better and have a different outlook on money and credit.
Mandy is a great support and provided much needed feedback throughout the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Mandy, February 20, 2010
Robert F. (Hagerstown, MD) - See all my reviews
With the economy continuing it's downward slide and sales at my small service company following the same trend I found myself barely able to pay the minimum payment on my credit cards, pay my mortgage and buy food for my family. I checked the internet to see what I could find out about the debt settlement companies advertising on tv. I did not like what I found but fortunately I found a recommendation for Mandy's book. after careful consideration, because every dime is precious to me right now, I ordered the book. Well I can tell you I have just started the process and it is working just as described in the book. Thanks Mandy for lighting the path before me and giving me the courage to journey on.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Life Saver, February 18, 2010
First let me say your book is truly a light at the end of a tunnel. I have enormous debt due to a very bad divorce, laid off for 7 months still without a job, a single mom, and yet prior to all of this, I had 0 balances and never late. Like so many others, it's been nothing short of a nightmare.

This book has given me the ability to take control without legal counsel and I cannot thank Mandy enough for this advice. I am still at the point of negotiation with my 8 cards and my progress is just as she has mapped out.

It's so easy to understand and to implement, it's a must have.

Negotiate and Settle Your Debts: A Debt Settlement Strategy
Negotiate and Settle Your Debts: A Debt Settlement Strategy by Mandy Akridge (Paperback - January 25, 2011)
$14.79 $13.09