Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$7.99

on November 24, 2014
I wanted to like this movie but it didn't do much to help it's own cause. I hadn't heard good things about it but usually low expectations and low standards let me find some enjoyment in these kind of movies. I usually like Seth Rogen and Zac Effron seems amiable enough. Actually all the actors were decent enough. Rose Byrne was really charismatic. I am unfamiliar with any of her other work and had no idea who she was but I liked her here. So the problem wasn't the cast but pretty much everything else. The movie had a weird tone to it. There was an interesting idea trying to get out and some wickedly funny lines hidden within a pool of dreck. The argument between Byrne and Rogen over who gets to be the dumb one (wife or husband) was kind of a clever nod to clichéd sitcoms and Kevin James movies. The only problem is that seeing the slob Rogen with the out-of-his-league Byrne didn't strengthen the case that this movie was something different. The five second split between the two as a result of that fight seems added for no reason other than for a dramatic moment. I mean the wife leaves and literally five seconds later Rogen is chasing her down to tearfully beg her to come back. It was clichéd and felt as if the director or screenwriters were compelled to throw in some tension between the couple because that's what you do in a movie.

Some of the generation gap humor between the frat house kids and the Rogen and Byrne started to verge on something funny but was over shadowed by the gross out humor and a severe lack of focus. Gross out humor is all well and good but the desire to pack so many scenes into one film left me feeling overwhelmed and bombarded. If I had to pick one word to describe this film it would be disjointed. I think the scene I enjoyed most was the final one outside Abercrombie and Fitch. Effron and Rogen seem to be improvising and actually appear to be enjoying themselves. The baby was cute, at least there's that.
on July 24, 2014
At its core, this movie contains all the familiar conventions of a raunchy college comedy: crude sex jokes, rampant drug use, gratuitous nudity, grossout gags, goofball supporting cast, wild partying, insane pranks. But there are also a number of things which this movie not only does differently but especially well, elevating the film beyond the usual sophomoric comedy.

One noticeably unique facet is the strong female lead. The wife character is not relegated to simply backing up her husband, or playing the safe and sensitive voice of reason. Rather, she might be even more deranged and aggressive than her male counterpart in terms of pushing the outrageous hijinx. It's certainly refreshing to see a woman allowed to participate with such decadent abandon in the typically male-dominated frat-house genre.

The movie is also gratefully lacking in the usually sappy and maudlin romance/soul-searching subplots that usually weaken and drag on these types of comedy free-for-alls. There are a few tender moments in there, but it basically just lets everyone go crazy for maximum laughs.

Another clever part of this film is the gray morality which all the main characters inhabit. There are no clear good guys vs. bad guys, as all the major players waver back and forth in their actions and likability. At varying points, every character in the film vacillates between being a righteous hero and a vile villain, just depending on the degree of their latest, insane shenanigan.

The low reviews here are really astounding, especially since the most mediocre films seem to regularly receive over 4 stars on Amazon. I'm not sure what kind of movie the haters expected to see, but this movie delivers on its promises. The progressive story structure aside, this movie is ultimately just a very funny flick. I guess you either like this kind of comedy or you don't.
99 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2015
Not so much a comedy as a dramedy--a fairly serious and at times even depressing premise lightened with some laughs at times. I liked it overall, but will say the pull-quotes on the packaging were very misleading: It's not "hilarious," unless you really enjoy people messing with each other to the point of near insanity and even cruelty. If that's your idea of hilarity, this film's for you! But once I got used to the tone and realized I wasn't going to get the laughs I had set out to get for the night I found it very watchable (I picked it as a comedy for a film night at home and we were both disappointed in that it wasn't that funny). Performances are well done, but Zac Efron does ultimately seem a bit old for the role. Seth Rogen is his usual funny self.
on July 12, 2016
I thought that this movie was good though lacked the funny that I expected. The jokes in this movie are well incorporated and hove more sustenance than a typical Seth Rogen movie. Once I understood the types of jokes that would be used I was able to enjoy the move and get into the story line which does well to develop the characters though it has a slow start. The movie does depict modern college life and I expect that a younger (though not too young) audience would enjoy the movie more.
on July 22, 2016
I know 80 and 70 add up to more than 100 percent, but that is the best way I can describe this - so forget math. First of all this is a very raunchy film, filthy language, filthy sexual scenes, and innuendo, and lots of nude body parts. So if you don't like that kind of humor don't watch. I liked it - sorry to those that have gone totally nuts about how bad it is - I respectfully disagree. I would say there are five or more laugh out loud funny scenes, one cringe worthy scene, and overall entertaining to watch. The differences in ratings (one star to five) made me curious, and I was not disappointed.

It is the same formula as "Knocked Up" - young family trying to let go of their wild party days. In this formula though the house next door is rented to a fraternity. Some funny scenes ensue. This would probably have rated less stars from me except that Seth Rogen, and Rose Byrne really sell it. I don't recommend it if you're put off by filthy language, young parents partying, nudity, or crude sexual jokes. Otherwise give it a chance - it is entertaining, and will cause you to laugh out loud.
on October 2, 2014
All the best laughs were used in the TV commercials. Great Idea that wasted the talents of Rogan and Efron. I had heard a lot of mixed reviews of this movie but because of the cast I gave it a shot. So disappointed. The first half is especially slow and not funny. The second half presents decent set ups that lead nowhere. I have to admit that the only real laughs I had were the air bags going off. The ONLY real funny bit in the whole picture and the joke pay-off was shown in all the ads and trailers. I guess the studio had to present something funny in the trailers/TV ads even if it was the only genuine laugh they could find. Another spoiler from the trailers that was funny was the De Niro party. If only it had been longer. Oh well, maybe next time.
on November 4, 2014
This is a low class film, which is a low budget rating of a rating of "C". Don't waste your money. I have no idea where this film was made, but it is not a typical Hollywood film. Poor plot, poor acting, very poor script, a total waste of ideas and your money. Don't waste your time or money on this piece of trash.
on June 12, 2016
I was hoping for a bit more "funny" moments. There weren't as many, as I thought there would be. But, my husband and I did laugh hard, at the actual funny moments, that were there. I expected it to be more raunchy, than it was, considering this is Frat house movie. I also didn't like the choice of Rose Byrne, as the wife, with the accent and all. Had she just used a normal American accent, it would have worked better. But she uses an Australian accent. Overall, entertaining enough, though I was a little disappointed.
on January 12, 2015
may have to watch it again... had to turn it off half way into it.... it was way to silly,. I blame the writers and director... I could feel brain cells leaking from my brain at what the actors were asked to do.... save your money
on February 26, 2016
I really had a bit higher hopes for this movie as it has somw really awesome people in it. We are big Seth Rogan fans and thought this was going to be an epic movie. It was really funny but it really lacked more of a story line. It's pretty straightforward. A frat moves in next door. They have a baby so they want the frat to be quiet. Hilarity follows as they go back and forth. Not bad, just not my favorite Seth Rogan film.
I paid full price for this movie and this is my honest review.