Most helpful positive review
96 of 100 people found the following review helpful
Very good value, very complete bit set
on September 14, 2006
I received my order witin two days of my order, excellent response time from the seller (I do live in a nearby city near Los Angeles). Note: the shipping is over $18 as they say the shipping weight is 12 lbs (it _is_ a heavy set). Still, it cost under $100 for 80 1/2 inch router bits! But are they any good... yes they are.
- I would give 5 stars for value.
- These bits are made in China (I whish I had known this).
- The overall quality of the bits is quite good, fine for everyday use. There is no documentation about the type of carbide however.
- The bit bodies are made from castings, which were then machined. The machining appears to be precise with no visible flaws, although a few bits had quite minor scratches on the shanks (not a problem).
- The brazing is fair - there are visible bubbles at the margins on some bits, probably not a big issue (-1 star for that).
- 44 of the bits have pilot bearings - these bearings appear to be fine.
- 4 straight bits are 3-wing, 2 flush trim are 3-wing, and the 4 slot cutters are three wing. I used the 1/4" 3-wing slot cutter in my router table, and the cut was very smooth.
- There is some minor duplication - two different 3/8" and 1/2" flush trim (that's fine with me). The range of sizes is very good in the different profiles.
- The paint finish if fine.
- The aluminum case is good (for the price). The labels for the bits need better adhesive - they fall off.
I got this set because I was tired of buying my bits piecemeal, and if they weren't the greatest, I wouldn't be out that much. However, now for the price of a few bits I have a very good, complete set, I am very happy with it. I just wish it wasn't made in China...