5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vest. No Pocket, Zipper a PLUS!
Published on June 21, 2010 by W. cun

3.0 out of 5 stars Solves the purpose but quality and size...meh
Published on October 24, 2012 by Phagun Oswal

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vest. No Pocket, Zipper a PLUS!, June 21, 2010
W. cun (riverside, california United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neiko High Visibility Neon Yellow Zipper Front Safety Vest with Reflective Strips - Meets ANSI/ISEA Standards, Size Large (Tools & Hardware)
I purchased this item using my Prime account. It arrived in two days, as promised. Upon opening, I noticed this vest is just like the last one I ordered here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009XAIKA , the only difference is the new one has a zipper and does NOT have a small pocket. The pocket is not an issue, as I can use one of the many pockets on my motorcycle jacket. The reason I ordered this vest is because of the zipper. My old vest had a small 1.5 x 1 inch velcro "button" that was useless when I would ride on the freeway. It would always come detached, causing my vest to flap in the wind and my visibility to oncoming traffic would go back down. A big minus,when riding on a motorcycle.

I ordered this vest in size Large and it fits well. My old vest was an XL and it fit very easily over my jacket. The best part of this vest is the zipper. I cannot say more about the zipper!

*EDIT 8/3/2010*
I have been meaning to add this edit for a while now. The vest is still holding up well. But, the zipper that I originally raved about has let me down. When I ride my motorcycle and sit completely upright, the pressure from the wind forces the zipper to unzip. This happens rather quickly, too. As soon as I get onto the freeway or 65-75mph, I notice my vest flapping in the air within 2 miles. I have since remedied the situation by using a binder clip to clip the zipper in place, locking it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality vest for a low price, June 7, 2010
The Neiko vest is well made and very visible. My only complaint is that it runs a bit small. It is listed as Large size, but it is smaller than any of my Large t-shirts. If you normally wear a Large size, I would recommend getting a bigger vest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Riding my Bike, March 16, 2011
This vest really helps me to be seen when I'm riding my bike. It is comfortable wearing over a light shirt or a thin jacket. The arm hole openings are large so it doesn't bind at all. I like the zipper - it makes it feel like the vest has more substance. The vest is light weight but folds up easily. It reminds me of the feel of a windbreaker. I also like the style. I don't feel like someone who has lost their construction buddies. It is a bright yellow with dark tan stripes. Since it is 100% polyester it should be easy to wash. I know I'll be wearing it often when biking.

4.0 out of 5 stars order larger than you think, October 4, 2012
The quality of the vests and reflective material is great. We ordered several vests, in all of the sizes and have realized that every size seems to be undersized. In fact, if you are going to wear with a jacket or coat, you may want to go up 2 sizes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very visible during day or night; great for biking and night walking., July 9, 2012
This was bought for biking. It is indeed "large", so I don't know why others say that it runs small. It's large enough to fit over my winter jacket. In summer it fits loosely even with my fanny-pack under it - and I'm not skinny.

I love the very bright neon yellow, and the reflective strips which reflect even low levels of light. This is especially great to wear at dusk & dawn, plus on cloudy days, and even in sunlight - not only at night. I wear mine every time I bike. Drivers seem to respect the fact that I'm deliberately making myself very visible (and adhering to road etiquette/rules), and they usually move over or slow down for me although they typically are hostile to bikers with poor visibility.

I do use a bright headlight and blinking rear red light on my bike, as well as reflectors, but I often wonder if the rear light is still on or in place (once the bracket loosened so that the light was pointing down to the ground and I didn't know it until I arrived home), so this vest makes me feel at ease in case the light or battery dies while I'm riding. Also the vest dramatically increases my visibility. If anyone hits me, they can't say they "didn't see" me!

Having had it a short time, I can't speak to its durability, and it has no washing instructions, but it seems that it would require washing on "delicate" mode, or by hand, and to be air dried. There are several tiny round holes on the inside that do not extend to the outside of the vest - not sure what they are from, and they are uniform in size and shape, so they are not moth holes...They look machine-made. They don't seem as though they'll cause tearing.

I like the zipper front, and the breathable lightweight mesh fabric. It doesn't look like mesh (without close inspection) because the "holes" are tiny.

This vest is inexpensive, so one would be wise to treat it gently; the single stitching and thread do not appear to be strong...

I'm giving this a 5 for its visibility, and feel that if I'm careful with it this will last a long time. Now I'm thinking about a reflective long-sleeved shirt so people can easily see my arm signals at night.

I also like using a safety vest so I don't have to buy lots of light or bright shirts. I can just wear whatever clothing colors, and slip on the vest.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solves the purpose but quality and size...meh, October 24, 2012
Like the title to my review says that this vest definitely solves the purpose of making cars and other vehicles aware of your presence when you're riding a bike and they're coming from behind. The reflectors are good and they can be spotted from very far away (I'd say at least half a mile). I am not too happy about it's very cheap quality and the fact that their XL is probably a Large at best. Typically XL clothes and jackets fit me well but I have to keep this one open because I am apparently too big for it and can't even get it to zip up on me. SO I have to leave it open.

So anyway, the vest solves a purpose but you get what you pay for in terms of quality for a ~$7.00 vest and their sizing is off.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love this vest, April 2, 2013
this vest actually kept me from getting hit by some dumb idiot i was walking home late at night and because i was whereing this highly refletive fest the person that was driving like a idiot was able to actually see me cross the streat. i think every one that has to walk home at night or has to work at night should have this vest. i wonder if it comes in hot neon pink?

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, March 31, 2013
A must have item for cyclists and starnded motorists. Keep one on the bike and in the car. They are too cheap to be without one.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the cost, I'm impressed!, January 13, 2013
I got this because I recently started riding at night and I didn't have a lot to spend on an industrial type vest. It arrived in days, and I used it the first night. It's VERY lightweight and therefore, did make me any hotter over my riding outfit (which happens to be black with reflective stripes down the side, not the back or front).

The payoff came when a co-worker who happens to live in the same development asked me the next day, "Was that you I saw riding last night on Such-and-Such Road?" She then described down to a tee what I was wearing. I asked her if she spotted the vest. She said that she easily spotted it from a area of the road that was easily at least a quarter mile away. For those who complained about the quality, I say: "Folks, lighten up! You only paid $7.00 for it!!" If you don't rough it up, it should last a good while. Maybe one day I'll invest in a higher priced more industrial quality vest. But, for now, this one suits me just fine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, February 1, 2013
I use this for riding my bicycle. I like that it has 2 horizontal bands of reflection around the waist. Definitely size up as other reviewers have said, especially if you plan on wearing this over your winter gear. The large just fits over a thick jacket I wear.