Customer Discussions > Le Noise forum

Neil Young's top 10 albums

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2010 9:56:52 AM PDT
Antiquity says:
It seems like, more than any other artist, NY's "best" albums are a matter of personal preference rather than a consensus. For example, Dylan's top albums are pretty agreed upon (B on B, Highway 61, B on the Tracks, Time out Mind) and just their relative order would change depending the listener.

So, with that, here are Neil Young's top 10 albums in my mind:

1) Everybody Knows this is Nowhere
2) Zuma
3) Tonight's the Night
4) Rust Never Sleeps
5) After the Gold Rush
6) Silver and Gold (I much prefer this to Harvest Moon, and it's my favorite "acoustic" NY album)
7) Greendale (I know there's a split on this one, but I fall in the category of thinking it's fantastic)
8) Harvest (maybe should be higher)
9) Ragged Glory
10) Are You Passionate (many don't care for this album, but I like it quite a bit)

Honorable mention:
Le Noise (may creep into the top 10 eventually)

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 10:03:02 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
Top 10 - in no order
Siver and Gold
Live Rust
After The Gold Rush
Comes A Time
Harvest
Harvest Moon
Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere
Prairie Wind
Rust Never Sleeps
Tonight's The Night

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 1:32:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2010 1:34:51 PM PDT
K. Frankel says:
1. After the Gold Rush
2. On the Beach
3. Rust Never Sleeps
4. Everybody Knows this is Nowhere
5. Ragged Glory
6. Tonight's the Night
7. Neil Young
8. Harvest Moon
9. Comes a Time
10. Harvest

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 7:33:17 PM PDT
Bomber says:
1.Rust Never Sleeps
2.After the Goldrush
3Tonight's The Night
4.Everyboby Knows this is Nowhere
5.Zuma
6.On the Beach
7.Freedom
8.Ragged Glory
9.Harvest
10.Comes a Time

Posted on Oct 1, 2010 9:12:48 AM PDT
Goose says:
If you don't mind me adding a recent "Live" archive release...

1. After the Goldrush
2. Harvest
3. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
4. Live Rust
5. Live at Massey Hall 1971
6. Harvest Moon
7. Rust Never Sleeps
8. On The Beach
9. Time Fades Away
10. Tonight's The Night
Zuma
Neil Young (tied)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2010 12:39:58 PM PDT
Antiquity says:
I haven't picked up Live at Massey Hall yet, but from what I understand I'm missing out.

Posted on Oct 1, 2010 9:20:40 PM PDT
Preacher Man says:
1A. Tonight's the Night
1B. On the Beach
3. After the Gold Rush
4. Zuma
5. Time Fades Away
6. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
7. Harvest
8. Rust Never Sleeps
9. Ragged Glory
10a. Greendale
10b. Sleeps with Angels
10c. Neil Young

That is somewhat in order, but the order can change any given day depending on mood. Neil is so diverse that he's basically like ten different artists all rolled up into one to create the greatest musical genius to ever live, in my opinion.

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 9:00:28 AM PDT
R. Riis says:
The order will change from day to day, so I haven't numbered them:

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
After the Goldrush
Tonight's the Night
Rust Never Sleeps
Live Rust
On the Beach
Zuma
Harvest Moon
Harvest
Sleeps with Angels

Honorable mention: Trans

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 10:19:28 AM PDT
FranktheTank says:
After the Gold Rush
Everybody Knows this is Nowhere
Harvest
Freedom
Rust Never Sleeps
Harvest Moon
On the Beach
Comes a Time
Zuma
Ragged Glory
On

Posted on Oct 3, 2010 7:18:10 AM PDT
in no particular order :

Harvest
Harvest Moon
Comes A Time
On The Beach
Neil Young
After The Goldrush
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Zuma
Silver and Gold
Trans (yes - Trans !)

I haven't heard 'Le Noise' yet - so i'm not sure how i would rank it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2010 7:09:43 PM PDT
Old T.B. says:
No particular order...

Ragged Glory
On the Beach
Rust Never Sleeps
Everybody Knows this is Nowhere
After the Gold Rush
Freedom
Zuma
Harvest
Decade
Sleeps with Angels

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010 11:26:04 AM PDT
D. A. Rich says:
1. After The Gold Rush
2. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
3. Zuma
4. On The Beach
5. Tonight's The Night
6. Harvest
7. Ragged Glory
8. Comes A Time
9. Rust Never Sleeps
10. Live Rust

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010 7:35:05 PM PDT
Dale Avery says:
Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
On the Beach
Tonight's the Night
After the Goldrush
Zuma
Ragged Glory
Harvest
Rust Never Sleeps
Time Fades Away
Freedom

In terms of Le Noise, there are some decent songs, but the production grates after a few listens. Would like Neil to put out "No Noise" without Lanois' sonics.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2010 3:55:10 PM PDT
Uro Komos says:
Bob is this you? Zeta Reticuli calling.
www.earwaves.net
give me a call.
Albuquerque?

Posted on Oct 10, 2010 7:59:34 AM PDT
D. Shinoda says:
Here's my 10 (or so)

1. After the Gold Rush
2. Harvest
3. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
4. Freedom
5. Prairie Wind
6 Comes a Time
7. Rust Never Sleeps/Live Rust
8. Harvest Moon
9. Tonight's the Night
10. Silver and Gold

Posted on Oct 11, 2010 7:29:22 AM PDT
P. Perkins says:
This is highly subjective and in the order I happened to think of them. If I made a new list tomorrow there would be a few changes. I like the Greendale, Prairie Wind (officially "Harvest"), Berlin, and Live at Red Rocks movies / DVDs too.

After the Gold Rush
On the Beach
Hawks and Doves
Time Fades Away
Le Noise
Freedom
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Zuma
Trans
Rust Never Sleeps

I think my most disappointing new album listening experience ever was Harvest as a follow-up to After the Gold Rush.

Posted on Oct 11, 2010 4:34:12 PM PDT
Neil Young (debut)
Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere
After the Goldrush
Live at Massey Hall
Harvest
Comes a Time
Rust Never Sleeps
Freedom
Silver and Gold

Hmmm...can't come up with 10...I really like all nine of these though.

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 5:51:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2010 6:00:29 AM PDT
Marc Landry says:
After the Goldrush
Comes a Time
Zuma
Harvest
Time Fades Away
Freedom
Rust Never Sleeps
Tonights the Night
On the Beach
Ragged Glory

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2010 3:58:13 PM PDT
In the order I thought of them...

After the Goldrush
Neil Young
Harvest
Sleeps with Angels
Rust Never Sleeps
Trans
Chrome Dreams II
Sugar Mountain Live at Canterbury House
Greendale
Broken Arrow

... Like many, those choices might change tomorrow, and I admit the selection process is likely biased by my desire to bring some forgotten gems to attention. I like On the Beach a lot, too, but couldn't switch it out for Greendale. Likewise, Broken Arrow is simply more interesting to me than Ragged Glory, or the nonetheless excellent Weld. Actually, Neil's live albums tend to be highlights. Pretty much all the archival releases so far have been great and it was hard to choose just one of them, but Canterbury is the one that stands out right now. Road Rock also has its detractors, but I think that album may actually contain my favorite versions of Cowgirl in the Sand, Tonight's the Night, and Words. Live Rust was pretty good, too, though I think that performance is best appreciated via the DVD, which includes the additional Welfare Mothers, one of my favorites, and a charming rendition of the brilliant acoustic Thrasher, complete with Neil flubbing a line and being utterly non-chalant about it. But no, the album release had to retain Lotta Love instead, presumably because it was a hit.

I should also say, if I may be so bold, that some of the albums often considered classics only stand out to me for one for a few tracks. 'American Stars' is an obvious example, being most well-known for 'Like a Hurricane. 'Everybody Knows this is Nowhere', however, I remember as the 'Cowgirl in the Sand' album (along with the underrated Round and Round and Requiem for the Rockets, which easily beat out the other electric numbers for me), while I remember Zuma primarily for Cortez and Danger Bird, while the rest doesn't stick with me as much. Maybe that's just what happens when you have one or a couple excellent tracks that overshadow the rest of an album.

Either way, sorry if I've caused any offense, but there you have it.

... Like many, my choices would probably change tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 7:34:07 AM PDT
FranktheTank says:
D.I.

I agree, but isn't it interesting that at least for me I find Barstool Blues on Zuma to be the gem. Almost every Neil album, including Le Noise, there are at least a couple of memorable tracks that carry the day. I am not sure that Le Noise will be considered a classic. I don't care for Angry World or Sign of Love much, but Peaceful Valley Boulevard and Hitchhiker are first class Neil songs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 4:46:30 PM PDT
You are. I think it his his best album BY FAR.

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 3:43:08 AM PDT
Although this seems kind of silly, I will play along with you all. If trapped on a deserted island, here are the 10 NY albums, in chronological order by release date, that I would want with me. This assumes, I have the proper playback equipment and power source on the island as well.

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - for me, Neil's definitive sound on mostly well written strong songs.
Zuma - Just a great collection of songs that rock.
American Stars and Bars - Side 2 by itself makes this album inclusion critical.
Comes A Time - more "Harvest" here than "Harvest". Neil's cover of Four Strong Winds is essential.
Rust Never Sleeps - Side 1 is probably the closest to perfect Neil has ever come.
Trans - hasn't aged as well as the others, but this has always been a favorite of mine. Sample and Hold could very well be Neil's best love song ever.
This Note's For You - stylistic, but it works.
Freedom - some of Neil's finest songs on one album.
Ragged Glory - Neil really stretches out here giving us great guitar solo workouts that hadn't been heard since EKTIN.
Sleeps With Angels - The duplicity of this album always keeps me coming back.

Honorable Mention - Living With War - This actually works as a concept album and the songs all tie nicely together. Let's Impeach the President is a gem.

Notable exclusions - Harvest (not that strong of an album - listen to it again), Tonight's the Night (unaccessible album and likely included on lists because people think they need to like it), On the Beach (I like it well enough, but it is a weak album overall).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 6:30:07 AM PDT
David Mcleod says:
good choice Joshua...but I can add a few to the list...
Harvest
Harvest Moon
Tonight's the night
Freedom
Ragged Glory
Sleeps with Angels
Decade
Weld(best live Album-bar none)
Broken Arrow
and maybe,Chrome Dreams 11,also after one listen,Le Noise could break into the ten!!
Neil is such a versatile artist...there is other c-d's that can make the cut.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 3:52:36 PM PDT
After Danger Bird and Cortez, Barstool Blues is the next one from Zuma that would pop into my head. Danger Bird, though, is the favorite for me on there.

On Le Noise, Sign of Love isn't one of my favorites, either, though Lanois' production helps it a bit. Angry World has kind of grown on me. It's not hugely complex, but then again, summing four different world views that concisely can be a virtue. So far, the favorites are Walk With me, Someone's Gonna Rescue You, Love and War, and Peaceful Valley Boulevard. Hitchhiker's pretty good, too. Rumblin' keeps getting more interesting. Love and War, though--that's the one I keep wanting to hear again: one of the most moving and substantial songs he's done in a while, and the guitar work suits it perfectly. Walk with Me was another immediate success story: "I feel your love/I feel your strong love" really grabbed me at first, not to even mention that bombastic first chord that rams into your ears when you turn the CD on.

I'd also clarify regarding Ragged Glory: I think the feeling and the overall sound, but when it comes to the songs, the quality runs the gamut from Love to Burn to Farmer John. I don't think all the *songs* on that album were really great. Which is where 'Weld' does a great service by hitting some of the highlights, combining them with the even stronger classic material. (And a really moving and all-around brilliant cover of Dylan's 'Blowin' the Wind'.)

For fans of the Horse, I'd also recommend reconsidering Broken Arrow and the accompanying live 'Year of the Horse'--some good jams there. I especially like Loose Change, Slip Away, and the acoustic Music Arcade. If memory serves, there are also excellent versions of 'Danger Bird' and 'Mr. Soul' on YOTH. 'Barstool Blues', too. A lot of 'Broken Arrow' felt a natural continuation of 'Sleeps with Angels' to me (SWA being one of my all-time favorite Neil Young records for future reference.) In retrospect, the '90s was a pretty good decade for Neil, especially where the psychologically unstable equine was concerned.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 4:15:14 PM PDT
Interesting, Steve. About Tonight's the Night, when I think of it, I tend to agree and wonder if it's the case with a lot of the classics, hence another reason neither TTN and OTB is on my list. OTB got close. Like I said, Greendale edged it out. I've talked about Ragged Glory--great sound, variant songs, enough said.I absolutely agree with about Sleeps with Angels, though. Really brilliant album I find myself gravitating to again and again. I actually like Broken Arrow a good bit, too, but SWA is the Crazy Horse masterwork of the '90s for me. The songs are substantial enough almost to swamp you with their depth, and certainly with their compellingly heavy and labored sound. 'Blue Eden' gives me different mental images every time. 'Driveby' is tragically beautiful, with some of Neil's most touching music. 'Prime of Life' is grippingly enigmatic with a driving melody and intriguing flute part, 'Change Your Mind' one of the most passionate pieces of rock music I've ever heard-- an anguished yet exquisite plea--a real show of compassion for the suffering of one's fellow human beings.

The bookend songs I could go on for paragraphs about. Suffice it to say that 'A Dream that Can Last' is one of the most uplifting, simultaneously exhilarating and comforting things my ears have ever taken in. See, I think that's one issue with Tonight's the Night. It finishes where it started out, quite literally. In the sphere of fiction writing, this phenomenon would be known as a flat character. Sleeps with Angels, by comparison, has a real resolution. One makes a journey from the beginning to end--namely, from desolation to hope--which makes it "round" as opposed to "flat". Sacrilege though this may be, I think that also makes it the more interesting, valuable, and lastingly relevant of the two. I always have thought it odd that an album seemingly so bleak from the outset should come around, by the time of its conclusion, to be a monument to hope--that most priceless spiritual commodity. I'm sure Neil is as aware of the theme's universal applicability as the attentive listener.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Le Noise forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 25, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Le Noise (180 Gram LP)
Le Noise (180 Gram LP) by Neil Young (Vinyl - 2010)
3.5 out of 5 stars   (192)