Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more

Neither cult nor Scam: get a life people

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2007 5:05:01 PM PDT
Jerry and Esther are passionate about what they do. They are well meaning. Anyone who reads some of their books and really tests out the theories sincerely will notice that there really is something to this stuff.

That is all.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2007 3:44:28 PM PDT
Magnetic says:
I totally agree with you. Why do some people simply resist thinking positively and being joyful and focusing on what they want? Do they think they're not deserving of it? That God will punish them if they have too much fun? That the world is too scarce and won't give them what they ask for? They just think too hard about who they're trusting and forget about the real lessons that in themselves are very harmless and quite useful.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2007 8:20:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2007 8:25:07 AM PDT
To any future readers:

I almost always prefer NOT to participate in any on-line interactions. It's always such a waste of time/breath. Simply stated: Some people will agree. Some won't. And the majority won't give a rat's southern hemisphere one way or the other.

Regardless, none of the aforementioned has any import in regard to another's life. Why? Because it's each individuals responsibility to prove or disprove this for him- or herself. Just as in all other realms of life and living, you can't do, learn or become/know something by proxy.

So I simply will make the following observation: Either manifesting works or it does not. As quantum science reveals that our science fiction hasn't even come close to nearing just how fantastic our so-called reality truly is, anyone who still clings to the quaint 19th century notion of any individual or group having monopoly on God, or reality for that matter, clearly is out of touch with both.

For those worried about getting "scammed" these kinds of books are free at the library. For those who are more scientifically minded who'd like to test this more empirically and systematically, I'd recomend "Manifesting Your Heart's Desire" by Fengler and Varnum.

And finally for those of you/us who either know or believe this stuff works, if we really do, then we should simply ignore the disagreeable atheists and fundamentalist dogmatists who seemed all OCD to disparage anyone who doesn't agree with them. After all, if "what you think about expands," then you're simply giving such scoffers what they want the most: Attention. Just ignore them. The best revenge is to be happy and successful. Prove the principles by example and you prove the scoffers and demonizers wrong. If the principles work they should "Sell" themselves. They don't need legions of off- or on-line "prophets" trying to SELL it or DEFEND it. Ask yourself why do you feel that way if you are doing either? Does the principle need such...or simply you? Often those who spend their times trying to "convince" others are in truth trying to convince themselves--that applies to Christians and atheists too.

To paraphrase what someone else once said. There are those who merely talk the talk and there are those who walk the walk. Ask yourself: Which are you?

No replies please. I won't respond as I'll be out practicing the principles--not merely talking (or typing) about them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2007 7:50:10 PM PDT
Jerry and Esther are absolute scam artists with not an ounce of compassion. Watch her as she is "channeling" this made up entity named Abraham.She looks like a sly lizard.I feel sorry for people who fall for this nonsense. It has nothing to do with Spirituality.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2007 8:03:49 AM PDT
R. Farrow says:
We all feel sorry for you to dear.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2008 2:10:49 AM PDT
J. Aslam says:
Looks like Hicks have brain-washed you very well. You can also try Scientology.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2008 2:11:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 10, 2008 2:12:39 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2008 2:15:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2008 2:20:04 AM PDT
J. Aslam says:
And where do they get that ABRAHAM channel from?
They have just found a sophisticated means for collecting money for their Psychic channel, even fooling Wayne Dyer.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2008 2:19:10 AM PDT
J. Aslam says:
So good artists that they managed to fool Wayne Dyer to make him write Foreword (Ask and it is given).
I had had good respect for Dr Dyer and PBS, but now I think PBS also should be ashamed for hosting Dyer's talks.

Posted on Jul 10, 2009 8:42:24 AM PDT
Skyla says:
I have seen definite results from these ideas, but whatever your take, they are not hurting anyone, so chill :)

Posted on Oct 6, 2009 4:16:06 PM PDT
Alleia says:
Whether you believe what the are doing is authentic or not they sell books/tapes and you pay to go to their course. They are not asking for people to "send money in to support the cause" or "send money in so you will be helped". If you want to complain about scam artists watch Sunday morning religious TV personalities ask people to send money in so they can be saved/helped/blessed/informed. Whether it is Abraham, or Ester, the advice most of the time is pretty good. Your Grandmother probably said the same thing. Focus on what you want out of life and can change: don't bother with the rest.

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 3:32:40 PM PST
JRR says:
I agree that if you do not like what they do, then do not buy their products. I am hesitant to reply on negative chains, but I will say this. I do not know if Esther is "channelling" anything or if she is just speaking from her unconscious. I really don't think it matters. She is not saying anything that is hurtful to anyone, nor is she speaking of things that are mal-intended. Contrary to that, she speaks about us becoming better people. That's the bottom line. And I think that any encouragement for the human race to better itself is good, no matter where it comes from.

They also have a ton of stuff for free on the internet. Google or Youtube her. I for one haven't bought any of their products as of yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2010 12:43:18 AM PST
What other books do you find inspiring? A spiritual teacher I have found very helpful and interesting as well: Ram Dass, formerly known as Dr. Richard Alpert. He wrote "Be Here Now", "The Only Dance There Is", and others. There is also a newer documentary about his life after having a stroke called Fierce Grace. He addresses all religions, from Christianity to Hinduism, (even esoteric ideas, if that's considered a religion?) saying they are forms of truth. I think he also addresses ideas about creating your own reality that are in line with New-Age type thinking. His ideas and advice, who came to him from his guru Neem Karoli Baba, remind me in some ways of Esther Hicks and Abraham.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2010 12:55:56 AM PST
I've never read any of Wayne Dyer's books. Would you recommend checking them out? Have you ever read anything by Ram Dass, formerly known as Dr. Richard Alpert? Wayne Dyer is quoted as saying Ram Dass is one of his greatest spiritual teachers (google ram dass wayne dyer and you should be able to find it if you want to see the article). He wrote several books and he was recently featured in a documentary called "Fierce Grace". I have only read "Be Here Now" and "The Only Dance There Is" but I enjoyed them both very much and learned some things that are somehow helping me with my own spiritual/life-in-general journey. Be Here Now is filled with awesome artwork, if nothing else. haha

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 4:07:34 AM PST
cosmicguy says:
Hi Maggie:

I have read the power of intention by Wayne Dyer and it is a good book with many practical ways
to use to have what you want in your life. It is my favorite book for me to have as a guide line for
manifesting what I want in my life.

Posted on Mar 6, 2010 9:18:30 AM PST
Scam or not, I don't know. But I do know that "Ask..." has helped me be calmer and happier. And isn't that the important thing?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2010 6:43:44 PM PDT
A. Lifson says:
What you see depends a great deal on what you are. I see only love and hear wisdom that has enhanced my life and those in my path. Lucky Me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2010 6:45:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2010 6:46:16 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 29, 2010 11:28:08 PM PDT
I have read all of their books and have started implementing their teachings in my own life, I notice when I am being negative and now have the tools to rise above it. I must say I feel much happier and joy looks pretty good to me. You will always have skeptics, it's part of life in the physical.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 11:36:04 PM PDT
Pati Deuter says:
Be kind to animals....I disagree with your comment, however you have a right to feel the way you do because that is what you choose. That is what it is all about. I have applied their teachings to my life and it is simply amazing...that (sly lizard) as you call it is full of wisdom and kindness.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2010 12:10:45 AM PDT
I am happy for those that speak of joy, happiness and wisdom. Good for you, and may that continue and grow.
I have done enough reading and watched enough videos where it has been promised that "you can have anything you want" (which is, kind of the opposite of what is said in "conversations with God", but I digress).
Can anyway witness to the claim that with enough effort and time one can use The Law of Attraction to get what one wants?

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 9:35:44 PM PDT
Sillysally says:
I have to disagree. Clearly this woman Esther is pulling off a scam. Coming from a fellow Aber I opened my eyes to the truth.

Looking back I can't believe she tells people that if someone gets raped, attacked or dies they brought it on themselves through thought.
Who is she to say this!? She can't prove her 'ability to channel' with science and hard core evidence. no but she can prove her ability to conjure up a fraud to become rich. How can it not be considered cultish? She uses thought control and thought blocking techniques.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 10:26:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2010 10:27:42 PM PDT
Kyra says:
Sillysally, I like your name and agree with you. If Abraham's material is working as great as people say, then someone should be able to present verifiable, medical proof of being cured of AIDs, regrowing a severed limb, a born blind gaining sight because of their work. Abraham has been teaching this work for nearly 25 years, and even though their existence may not be able to be proved, their claim that ALL illness can be released when the resistance is released can be. When I am presented with this proof, then I will consider the validity of their work. Till then, they go into the same category as Caroline Myss, Louise Hay, and Doreen Virtue--others who make similar claims with unverifiable, anecdotal-based evidence. Louise Hay, who has had thousands of HIV positive followers, has yet to produce a case of this sort of healing (her own healing has no verification beyond her claim). And Caroline Myss provides one her book Anatomy of the Spirit, but no one has ever been able to verify it.

If people actually believe this stuff and believe there is a science (ie. science of deliberate creation) to it, then I would think they would want it to be known the way gravity is known. And yet, where is this evidence?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2011 5:15:26 PM PST
Chimpy81 says:
Please don't feel sorry for people who are feeling good about focusing on thinking positive thoughts and feeling wonderful, you are wasting your energy by feeling "sorry". I choose to feel happy and share my joy with others so that we all benefit from good energy. Peace.

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 4:44:14 PM PDT
Ve says:
I have not read any of the Abraham-Hicks books, however I have read and watched The Secret film. I have viewed some of the videos on the Abraham-Hicks website. From what I have read, the name "Abraham" does not refer to an actual person. It appears the name was given to symbolize energy and emotion within oneself. The whole idea that Esther "Channels from Abraham" is a metaphor for taking the time to focus her mind to allow her emotions to provide the answer she needs.

Insert a little sarcasm here when I say: I suppose everyone who does yoga, tai chi, or practices Feng Shui must be cultists too? They all believe in the movement and focus of energy as well. Must be a scam because those people believe in "Chi" (Qi).

I feel the entire concept of the Law of Attraction is an attempt to open the eyes of humanity to the idea of being positive and viewing situations from a different perspective. They are trying to stimulate the minds of readers to the idea that "your world is what YOU make it" by choosing to view situations in a positive light. Many religions are quoted and the messages depicted do not encourage you to follow any one religion. They encourage you to believe in yourself, give thanks, and praise the "greater energy" that you wish to believe in.

I never heard of a cult that offered you freedom of choice to believe in who you want and encouraged you to believe in yourself above all. Do they make money from giving motivational speeches, books and audio? Yes they sure do and so does every other author and motivational speaker in the world.

‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  27
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Apr 2, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 6, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires
Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires by Jerry Hicks (Paperback - October 1, 2004)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,223)