4.0 out of 5 stars This is the classic textbook
Published on October 10, 2011 by Aamir Ansari

Published 2 months ago by DDW

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the classic textbook, October 10, 2011
This review is from: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics: Expert Consult Premium Edition - Enhanced Online Features and Print, 19e (Hardcover)
Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics is the main textbook pediatricians and residents read. It's difficult to criticise the wealth of information it presents; clearly the book is a tremendous resource. My only complaint is its incredible bulk. It is a very difficult book to carry around and read conveniently. The Kindle version takes care of that to some extent but for those of us who like to score and underline and annotate and, in short, personalize our books the Kindle provides an insubstantial experience. I had one colleague in residency who actually broke his textbook open and divided it into several smaller books that were more portable and conducive to learning from. Surely it can't be that hard to publish the text as two volumes? The publishers of Harrison's Principle of Internal Medicine have been doing it for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nelson is the best, July 18, 2011
Davor Bandic (TOVARNIK, Croatia) - See all my reviews
This is the sixth edition of the Nelson that I bought from the time I had started practicing pediatrics, and as always, Nelson is unbeatable. It is a real pleasure to read it again and again. This edition is particularly useful as all content is available on line now, continuously updated, and moreover, in the significantly expanded extent than in the print edition.

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost worthless, unless you need a heavy object to hold your door., January 21, 2014
DDW (California) - See all my reviews
I have been a Pediatrician for over 25 years and in the past have found Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics to be an excellent resource. However, the current format has minimum information for each subject and then refers you to their internet site for the complete topic. I find it much more relaxing and less distracting to study from written text. If I had wanted an online textbook I would have purchased that instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classics are called so because of something, June 30, 2011
Gabriela Batista "Gabi" (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) - See all my reviews
Everyone knows Nelson is a must for Peds, this new update is no exception. I'm starting to read it, so far its perfect. Love the colours and new outlook. If I find anything worth noting I'll update the post.

2.0 out of 5 stars why, February 12, 2014
is it so big? it should come in two books. It massive. seriously. hard to use because it is so ginormous. ugh

4.0 out of 5 stars a classic, September 4, 2013
its format, table contents have not changed over the year, that should be my 3,4 th book over the year, the last one I bought was in 1990. Now becoming a grand parent I decide to refresh my knowledge that was the reason to buy it. Contents are new in the genetic and molecular biology field. I want to learn more about the issue of food allergy but the content was limited. I have to look elsewhere. For other topics I cannot comment yet. May be the Uptodate software provides more real time knowledge. But the textbook serves the purpose of providing core knowledge. Textbook format may need to change with the times.

2.0 out of 5 stars Totally disappointed., June 29, 2013
I bought this to review for board recertification, expecting the Nelson I was so used to. I like to be able to turn the pages of a book and find the answers and underscore the important. I was not able to do that. It refers me to the website for most of the questions I needed to answer. When you are pressed for time to study, you do not have the time to check the book and then go on line or vice versa. I hope the publishers would come to a solution where those of us, like me, who prefers a whole book that contains most of the basics of each topic (if not all) would be given a book, not a website could be given that option. Or at least cover the important aspects of each topic in the hard edition and use the website only as a supplement for all the other fluff.
As it is, I resorted to referring to an older edition instead. It saves me time. I am totally disappointed with this purchase. I do not need a book that refers me to a website each time I refer to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and you can't live without it as a Prdiatrician, May 5, 2013
Excellent and you can't live without it as a Prdiatrician, I brought all the new edisons when they came out in the market

4.0 out of 5 stars Good peds reference, April 12, 2014
This book was required for class and is very helpful. The language is not too complex and the book is very useful in the clinical setting

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, January 12, 2014
Once I figured the e_pages were the pages for the referred website for further reading it was easy sailing! At first I thought the Kindle edition was abridged but was relieved once I figured that out.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›