5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Unknown Band I Know.., September 14, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Neopolitan (Audio CD)
"Neopolitan" was my introduction to the Odds nearly 9 years ago when I was playing guitar in a garage band in NYC. Hearing it was one of those moments that blows you away: they were (and are) everything we wanted to be and more.. subtle and powerful, sincere, clever, honest and sometimes funny (Wendy Under The Stars). They're a wonderfully gifted band that is as adept with cranking in-your-face guitars (No Warning) as they are with gorgeous harmonies or just a lone acoustic (Trees). You can try and pigeonhole them into some neat catagory but they really don't fit. They DO have their very own *thing* and perhaps in this world of "me too" flash in the pan bands, that does make them Odd. Nearly a decade later I can listen to this album (or any of their subsequent work) and think, "damn, I'd like to join *that* band.." Do yourself a favor and seek this CD out, new, used or whatever.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Strong Debut, August 28, 2001
This review is from: Neopolitan (Audio CD)
The Odds are one of those solid, unheralded bands that make consistently appealing, if not terribly groundbreaking, albums. The nearest comparison I can make is to Dada, although the Odds fall somewhat short of that band's lofty heights. That's not much of a critisism though. Every Odds album has it's charms, and on this, the debut, they key track is "Wendy Under the Stars", an insightful reminiscence into virginity lost to an older woman on the night of Elvis Presley's death. "I pulled away so I could hear what the newsman on the television said, he said the king of rock and roll was dead, and in the spooky television light, she said 'don't ever forget this night'". She indeed makes it an unforgetable night for the protagonist. Years later, looking back, "I thought I loved her but I didn't know how, I don't love her when I see her now. But with the tape deck turned up loud, she made a young man feel strong and proud". Perhaps if the Odds had first appeared in 1979, they would have been huge. Instead, they are a pleasure enjoyed by only a small cult of in-the-know fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great band, great album, December 4, 2002
"curvygirl" (vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neopolitan (Audio CD)
This is a great album! Having had the privilege of hearing Odds from conception, as well as many of the project bands from before Odds came together, I really appreciate this great album. Their catchy melodies and tongue-in-cheek fun lyrics capture the essence of who Odds are. Witty, fun and know how to write a great catchy tune - stuff you love to sing along with. Also, I have heard "Wendy" was written about Steven's first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Album That Nobody Ever Heard, April 8, 2005
This review is from: Neopolitan (Audio CD)
I don't know anyone who has heard this Vancouver, B.C. band that didn't like 'em. Unfortunately, that's still a short list. NEOPOLITAN is a great album which arrived at the college newspaper where I worked with no PR. I gave it one listen and the leadoff track, "King of the Heap," dug its claws in. It's an absolutely perfect extended-metaphor song about destruction of the environment... and so are "Evolution Time" and "Family Tree" which recycle the same subject material so deftly you don't notice. This band also rocks; the other single "Love is the Subject" is radio-friendly, irresistable power pop and the other tracks just get better the more you listen to them. The Odds are (were?) a band with talent to burn. In retrospect, one of the best pop-rock albums of the decade; I'm glad I gave it that one listen before pitching it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I met them on tour for this album, January 29, 2006
Ed (Madison, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neopolitan (Audio CD)
I had the good fortune of hearing a review copy of this CD just before I saw them open for (and play as backup band for) Warren Zevon in Madison, Wis. The CD was impressive and seeing them live made an even better impression, but talking to the guys backstage afterward made me a fan for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch!, July 17, 2012
This review is from: Neopolitan (Audio CD)
Love this CD! I have all of their cd's and this one is probably my favorite. It just pumps out the jams with tight tunes and great harmonies. This band is the best!

Neopolitan