5.0 out of 5 stars My son's Vortex video review
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:44 Mins
My son LOVES Nerf! He has most Nerf weapons known to child! Here is a video review that he did on the Vortex series. He goes over the differences between each weapon in the series.

Hope this helps you out!
Published on August 3, 2012 by M. Marcus

3.0 out of 5 stars The Next Generation
Just got this blaster, the latest in my ever-growing collection of Nerf blasters, and while I do like it, there are several cons.

Published on September 28, 2011 by J. Tomas

5.0 out of 5 stars My son's Vortex video review, August 3, 2012
Length:: 1:44 Mins

Hope this helps you out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hail to the King, Baby!, September 13, 2011
This review is from: Nerf Vortex Vigilon Blaster (Toy)
Am I the only one who noticed the similarity with Duke Nukem's golden gun?

I bought this blaster early, managed to find it at a target, and have been running and gunning with it for 6 days pretty much strait as of this writing (9/13/11). I love how nerf keeps improving their Maverick equivalents, first with the slam fire Speed Load Six, and now this little sniping disc launcher of doom. The night my friends and I found these at target, we bought them out on blasters and magazines, and then proceeded to have a massive, parking lot spanning, nerf war. Then two days later, we participated in a huge Capture the Flag Nerf game. From this I've noticed somethings:

The Vigilon is slow, at least compared to the Speed Load Six. It fires slightly slower than a maverick, because the slide has a special spring in it that double cocks the blaster, so that a pull back cocks the hammer, and the spring pulling forward loads a disk and seals the magazine to prevent jams. This means, you will not be able to keep up with someone with a raider or an Alpha Trooper, they will always fire faster.

The Vigilon shoots obscenely far. Those fancy fast shooters won't even be able to get close to you if you get used to how the discs in this gun fly. They moved a bit faster than darts, but they travel MILES FARTHER. (yes hyperbole, but still they get easily twice the range on the furthest darts. every time.) Because of this, you can easily become a sniper with a pistol. This is probably the closest nerf blaster you'll find to be analagous to the Halo CE pistol. Fear it.

It holds SIX (yes six 6) rounds, not five, because it can chamber one and still load the magazine. Which includes the next point

The magazine is very much like the magazines on nerf's Lazer Tag guns. When you slide the little arm down, the door to the magazine pops open, and you can slap it back up with a very satisfying "lock and load" feeling. Also, the mag is basically a big cavity, meaning it's very easy to just cram five darts into it to reload. This makes reloading substantially easier than trying to reload, say, the maverick.

Together, despite the slowness, these qualities come together to produce a highly competitive blaster, whose only weakness is its small magazine. However, for a nerf war on a budget, or a trusty long range sidearm, this blaster outshines its competitors every time. Just don't expect to slam fire it...that won't end well.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Next Generation, September 28, 2011
This review is from: Nerf Vortex Vigilon Blaster (Toy)

But first, the positives. It's a solid blaster, and I love the design. It has a very durable feel to it, not that I plan on pistol-whipping anybody with the Vigilon. The clip release is quick, and the disc eject switch for jammed discs is a good feature. The discs do travel a bit farther than the darts, maybe an average of five feet farther. It also has the tactical rail for attachments, and unlike in some N-Strike blasters, the rail is not located in an awkward place. It's right over the barrel, so it won't interfere with the slide-loader. There's a slight improvement on accuracy, in that the discs don't fly as wildly as Nerf darts will in a pitched battle. Also, they still don't hurt if they hit you, a plus for little Nerf warriors. The discs are more solid than darts, so they won't get destroyed as easily (a major plus considering the cost; see cons).

Now to the negatives. The discs fly farther, true, but they seem slower. If you're firing from a great distance, your target, if he can see it coming, can easily dodge the disc. But when you hit your target, the disc may ricochet in a more random direction than a dart, and farther too. I wouldn't recommend this for office Nerf wars, since the discs are more easily lost in the nooks and crannies of the cluttered cubicles. A major negative point, considering these cost a lot more on Amazon. Looked at the refill price, and it's almost the same as a blaster (the refill costs more than the Proton!). What's up with that? And they do cost more than darts, so losing them is a big blow. Not sure how to rectify this, except maybe making the discs much brighter, so they stick out.

So while the Vigilon may now occupy a space in my Nerf arsenal, I think the old reliable Maverick will still be my sidearm of choice. I may use the Vigilon in a sniper's role, considering its range. But before I do that, I'll be sure to stock up on extra ammo, anticipating major losses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best. Toy. Ever., January 22, 2012
This review is from: Nerf Vortex Vigilon Blaster (Toy)
This was the first thing my 3 year old son ever bought with his allowance. I was skeptical at first, but it was he saved his money to get it, so we let it happen.

We play 2 games- both made possible by the accuracy and suprising durability of this toy.

1) Swat team: Set up action figures - shoot only the bad guys from across the room.

2) Hunting: take turns being hunter and game. Run around the house like a madman trying to avoid being shot. No shooting in the face (although it happens sometime at a distance).

Since both my son and I like to play these games, it has improved our relationship - we have something fun to do together sometimes. It has also helped him explore, push, and eventually accept, boundaries. No playing rough when one party does not want to play. No shooting his 2 year old brother. My kid NEEDS to play rough and physically, and this toy provides an excellent outlet.

Really, this toy has been nothing but good for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars nerf vortex line, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Nerf Vortex Vigilon Blaster (Toy)
Between my kids and I, we have all of the vortex blasters. I have been a fan of nerf guns since I was little, and am impressed with this new line. They are durable, shoot far, and accurately. The disk does have a bit of 'zing' to it; you will feel it if it hits you, especially at close range, but this is the trade-off for longer range. They also ricochet, off of almost everything! The neat side to this, is that you can now try to bounce shots off walls, etc. The downside, is that the little discs end up in the darndest places... It will occasionally jam (i'm still not sure how) but easily clears with the disc eject slide. This is my kids' favourite out of the vortex line.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome starter gun for the next generation of Nerf!, October 30, 2011
This review is from: Nerf Vortex Vigilon Blaster (Toy)
This is a great way to introduce yourself to the Vortex family which is the next generation of Nerf guns. All of the Nerf guns we have, and I think we have just about every one, use some kind of dart. The Vortex uses little green discs.

The design of this thing is awesome, especially the release mechanism for the chamber that holds the discs.
For the price it is definitely worth it.

However, long term we will stick to the Nerf dart family for the following reasons:

1) Although the discs fly much further than the darts they are much less accurate and much slower. Basically, they are like little frisbees and will fly off to the left or the right if you hold the gun even a little bit sideways or if you are outside in a breeze.

2) Can you really justify spending $1 a piece for a tiny little disc? (Maybe if they glowed in the dark?)

3) It takes twice as long to long to fire compared to a Maverick.

Overall, this is definitely worth buying but I don't think we will be spending too much more on the Vortex family.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotton Childhood Dream is Fulfilled!, December 8, 2013
This review is from: Nerf Vortex Vigilon Blaster (Toy)
I got the Nerf Vortex Vigilon from a Secret Santa last Christmas and it has been great! (I always wanted a nerf gun when I was little and forgot about it)

I was also given the glow in the dark discs as well so I will not lose those as easily.

When fired point blank into my hand, it was not too painful, just a slight sting.
Some says it hurts a lot, some says it does not, perhaps it depends on each person.

This thing flew crazy far, I was able to shoot from one room through a small hall way and into a bedroom and stopping on a bed on the far wall. The chamber can hold 5 discs and can fire off as fast as you can reset the spring (by pulling back the top back portion).

It also has the unjamming trigger as well that lets you release the disc in case it will not fire. Only took me a short while to figure why there was an extra nob on the side.

The only negative of firing discs is that they are round and can roll a little bit before stopping while darts will just stay closer to the drop range.

I only wish it could have held more and came with more discs. (It can't be THAT expensive to make those right?)

Overall, this was easily used and was fun! Worthy gift to make a childhood fun! (Better than staring at a screen all day) (I wish I had this when I was younger)

Main difference from dart: rolls and you can do ricochet hits, CANT DO THAT TOO WELL WITH A DART CAN YA?

Hope this helps! I just hope this does not begin the need to buy more for others to start a Nerf war.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Vortex line for fast action, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Nerf Vortex Vigilon Blaster (Toy)
This gun is so much fun! We have a few of the Vortex guns. This is the one the boys all want to play with. It loads fast and its light weight and shoots straight. The Proton is a single shooter and has to be reloaded between shots. The Praxis can take clips but the clips take two hands to reload and unless you have a few clips, you have to stop and remove your clip to reload. The Vigilon is great! Thumb the lever and a door pops open. Grab a few discs (from the floor, the air, wherever) and pop 'em in. Fire away. Cocking the firing mechanism at the back is faster than the pump action of the Praxis (and Lumitron) too. So if you're in a battle and want quick reload, straight shots and light weight handling... then this is the gun for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Destroyer of the battlezone., October 16, 2012
This review is from: Nerf Vortex Vigilon Blaster (Toy)
I come from a great lineage of Nerf warriors that stems all the way back to... Well I am the only Nerf warrior in the family thus far. But this gun is by far my favorite.

I live in a small, crowded college apartment, where there is really one rule: carry a weapon on you at all times. This is because we may take apart many of the couches and table to bunker down and see who can hold out the longest. This gun has saved me many times, so many that I bought 2 more to help my flat mates keep up with me. The Gun is very durable being hit by Nerf N-Force Battlemaster Mace Axe, N-Force Vendetta Sword, and the Nerf N-Force Warlock Axe multiple times and still working. Also to further my point I'd like to add that the youngest person using these is 20 and kicks (or hits) like mule. I am not very confident in say that it would last through a hit by the Nerf N-Force Marauder Long Sword, my weapon of choice, but you can test it if you like. (please get back to me on the results)

Alright the pros and cons lists...

Pros:
-Shoots really fast and is extremely accurate. Watch out, if you aim for someones eye it probably will hit them there. It hurts, do not do it.
-Easy fix if it jams, and this really only happens once in a blue moon or if you put a couple in it at the same time.
-You can put two more down the gun and they shoot with a lot of pressure still, which adds a nice trick shot.
-This item has a some very nice, kid friendly safety too it. The gun wont load if filled improperly, so no random things will be flying at you.
-The farthest shooting gun I own. I can out shoot the old models with ease.
-CHEAP!!!! Nerf can become such an expensive sport, but this gun

Cons:
-Bouncing bullets... Normally I would say this is not a con, but the disks get lost very easily so take it as both pro and con.
-Only intended to hold 5 in the clip (can hold 6, but it is a tight snug). I wish it could hold more that way i would not have to pick my shots.

This is over all a great gun that i highly recommend, its not big and bulky it is so much fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME fun for all ages!, July 30, 2012
This review is from: Nerf Vortex Vigilon Blaster (Toy)
I am a twenty something rediscovering some of my childhood toys. I have to say, I wish the nerf guns I grew up with were as sweet as the stuff being produced today! This blaster is part of the vortex line that shoot these little green foam disks instead of darts. I was a bit hesitant about that at first-it just didn't seem like nerf without darts-but after playing with it I have to say this might be BETTER than the dart based guns. The little frisbee style discs go a loooong way compared to the darts, ricochet wildly off of any surface and are just plain fun. My cat is much more interested in chasing these than the darts. The gun itself is pretty solid, with a five round clip (plus one in the chamber), some locking mechanisms and a jam ejector.

Speaking of jams, I do have a quibble or two that keep this from being a five star product (although it is definitely five star fun and SHOULD be a part of your nerf arsenal). This thing jams once every two clips for me (one out of ten shots). Not a huge deal, especially because there is a great jam release slider that will just spit out the disc instead of making you open the clip. But it does happen. The gun also doesn't feel QUITE as solid as some of the guns I have (I'm currently pairing this with a swarmfire and having a blast). I wouldn't be surprised if I have to replace a spring or two along the way. The color scheme is pretty cool. I really dig the whole alien thing going on. However, it is a bit imbalanced with a LARGE portion of the front of the gun being one solid piece of orange.

But, those are minor, minor problems and you absolutely should buy this. Endless fun.

Nerf Vortex Vigilon Blaster