Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nerf N-Strike Stampede ECS
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 17, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I obtained this gun for my son. However, I am 50-years-old and even I think this thing is cool. My 13-year-old son thinks it is really, freaking cool. His 11-year-old sister does not think it is quite as cool for some odd reason...hmmm.

Anyway, my son has several Nerf guns. This one definitely has a higher rate of fire power than any other he has. He also has a Nerf gun called a "long-shot" (or some such thing). The long-shot can shoot a bit farther than this gun, but you have to pump it every time you shoot. So, in an outside battle when distances are greater, the long-shot pump may have a slight advantage. But inside, or in any shorter distance battle, the Stampede will be the gun of choice.

Really, this thing is a lot of fun. My son and his 6-year-old sister are playing with it right now. There are dozens of Nerf darts laying around all over the living room. The 6-year-old has poor aim, so this causes all sorts of mayhem.

But fun is fun, and they are having plenty of fun. It is amazing how quickly they can fire 60 darts all over the place.

The only downside to this gun is it uses batteries, so every once in a while I will have to replace the six D-cells (which do not come with the gun). So this adds some cost. Also, the original buying cost is higher than other Nerf guns. But it does have 4 magazines and 60 darts included. So that adds some value. And watching my kids play with this thing makes it appear that if you figure the cost per hour of time played with the gun, the cost will end up being fairly low. The gun also seems to be well built and sturdy.

In any case, it is very fun and worth having for kids that like Nerf guns...or for the dads that battle it out with kids.
88 comments|261 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2010
A nice addition to the NERF N-Strike line of blasters, the Stampede is the second full-auto NERF blaster. I picked up two of these for my son and I to play with and the blasters were a big hit at a Labor Day BBQ. The price may be steep but the Stampede does come with a bunch of nice extras. The other N-Strike auto-blaster is the Vulcan, a belt fed blaster that fires 25 darts at 3 darts per second depending on battery life. There were many complaints about jams and weight with this blaster. The Stampede is a nice upgrade. Using the NERF clip system you have a choice of 6, 18, or 35 round clips to choose from (only the 6 round clips are available separately) you can lay down a nice suppressing fire of darts while being able to reload quickly.

The good:
-Aesthetics, this blaster just looks cool and I am sure some will mod this blaster to look like a Halo pulse rifle.
-Shield, I wasn't to keen on this feature until playing in a shoot out. This shield offers amazing coverage to where most people shoot at you.
-Distance, the blaster uses the direct plunger system like the discontinued Longshot. Out of the box I am getting up to 30 ft. I don't plan on the LS spring mods since the gearing is plastic and they are too expensive to have them break that way.
-Rate of fire, nothing like being able to tag someone with a handful of darts in a few seconds
-Portability, it is about as lumbering as a LS but not as bad as the Vulcan.
-3x 18 -round clips, the blaster goes through darts like mad and its nice that Nerf includes several extra clips so you are not refilling a clip every 6 seconds (theoretical time it would take to go through 18 darts at 3 darts per second).
-Bi-pod handle, modeled after one you would see on real tactical weapons like an M-4, that makes it easier to hold and creates a stable firing platform when deployed.

The bad:
-Portability, sure I put this in the good, but I'm an adult and can carry the 2lbs blaster around for prolonged periods of time, but with 6x D-cell batteries this thing gets HEAVY for little ones like my son. Possible solution is to but AA to D converter cases but that cuts down on battery life also.
-Those thinking of modding the blaster, sure you can remove the AR and have a brass breech, but heavier spring? I mentioned earlier that the gears are plastic and the heavy springs will lead to stripped gears. The other one I heard of is upping the voltage for a higher RoF, but same problem with the Vulcan, stripped gears and a burned out motor.
-NO manual priming, meaning if your batteries die there is no way to fire the blaster
-Rate of fire, sure its a plus but its a double-edged sword. After 10 second you have 30 darts all over and a 6 round clip takes more time to load than shoot.

I like this blaster and plan on bringing it to many get-togethers with family so the kids can play with them but something is lost not having to physically prime the blaster for each shot like the other blasters.
0Comment|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2010
I got my stampede 2 days ago and only got the batteries today. So far I have ambushed my dad and basically turned my brother into swiss cheese. I have a freind who has had it for about 2 months and his has NEVER jammed NEVER. This is a great gun with a good rate of fire. It comes with 3 clips and 60 darts. However if you buy the value pack (located to the right of this in the search page) you will get 100 darts and another six round clip for the SAME price. i have bought the value pack and I am very glad to have gotten it. Overall if you buy this gun for your son/freind/yourself and you like nerf guns you will be greatly pleased.
11 comment|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 21, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Many years ago somebody thought it would be a good idea to give a coworker of mine two fully-automatic 20 shot Nerf handguns for Christmas. He kicked the door open to the area where my cubicle was, yelled "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIENDS!" and sprayed the area with bullets while cackling madly. The ruckus caused me to peek over the wall of my cube and I was rewarded with a dart right between the eyes.

It didn't hurt or anything, didn't even leave a mark, but it was pretty funny for the people who saw it bounce off my face.

Years have gone by and I never gave it much thought.

Then I saw this thing.

Oh yes. My revenge will be served cold and sweet like tea with a slice of lemon and a sprig of mint!!!

MUAHAHAHAHA!

*ahem*

Sorry, on to the review.

The gun is very well made and feels good, the 6 D Cell batteries it takes to run it give it a good heft though smaller warriors might find it heavy after a while. The attachable bi-pod that goes on the front is good for steading it to take a shot if you're not running and gunning and the gun looks better with the shield off (in my opinion) but it will give you somewhere to hide your face from incoming headshots.

The rate of fire is steady and makes you greatful for those two extra large clips it comes with. There's a "safty" switch that changes the gun from off to single and automatic fire.

It is unfortunate that there's no method for shooting the gun manually, without batteries, but looking for something that will make a strong visual impression this model will not dissapoint.
My son is a Nerf Junkie, with dozens of guns and hundreds of rounds of ammunition in his arsenal. The Stampede is innovative, functional and fun. The fore end grip converts to a bipod just like I've seen on the M-4 rifles used by the Armed Forces. The rate of fire is about the same as the Vulcan and the unit is powered by 6 D Cell batteries. The range is about the same as the Long Shot, but the accuracy isn't exceptional. The 18-round magazines (you get 3 of them plus a 6 round) give you a good amount of firepower, but they do extend down a bit too much for my son's tastes. The front shield piece is a great addition, since it has a cross-hatched window that you can look through. This unit was easy to assemble and has worked flawlessly so far. This package also contained 60 darts that are commonly used in other Nerf guns. In general, our experience has been that Nerf guns are more durable and of higher quality than the bargain brands and the Stampede looks to be no exception. Lots of fun.
VINE VOICEon October 22, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a confession to make. I am not a kid. (Hell, I'm 60 years old.) And I did not get this for a kid. I got it because in the office where I work, things can get a little competitive. R/C helicopters buzzing overhead. Home-made trebuchets. Elaborate defensive nets assembled out of buckyball magnets. And, yes, Nerf weaponry.

The Stampede is perfect for this environment. I've taken down a couple of R/C helicopters with short bursts, and the Platform Engineering team across the hallway is reconsidering their strategy. I expect more heavy - and brightly colored - weapons will be arriving soon.
33 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 24, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Overall, the Stampede ECS is a lot of fun, but probably not for everyone.

According to the Amazon.com product page, the Stampede ECS is for Ages 6 and up but the box itself says it's for ages 8+. Once you see how big the box is, you kind of get a feeling that this toy is for the big boys. Before the Stampede arrived I saw the commercials for the blaster (at least I think it was for the same thing) on one of those cartoon channels my kid always watches. So, my kid was somewhat looking forward to it when I told him I was going to get the Stampede ECS. My kid was so excited when he saw the box arrive and kept on wanting to open and play with it, but it was just too big for him to carry around and play. So, if you have kids that are less than 8 years old and don't like to see them disappointed because they can't play with the Stampede, this may not be the right toy for you.

Now, if you're a big boy (or big boy at heart), you are going to enjoy the Stampede ECS. For starters, you should be ready with 6 "D" batteries so you can enjoy this blaster the moment it arrives. You also need a pretty large open space to actually enjoy this because this fires the darts out a long way (I would like to say 25 feet maybe). I have used previous Nerf blasters but none that are automatic. So the ability to fire several darts one after the other is something that was quite entertaining, and I'm sure very useful when playing games against your friends.

For the downside, this thing is quite huge. Depending on how big your kid is, I'm not sure an 8 or 9 year old would enjoy handling this beast. Aside from the size, it's also heavy especially with 6 D batteries. The batteries alone are heavy.
on October 13, 2010
I just got this today, and I LOVE it! I have had a "blast" (no pun intended) with it, possibly the funnest dart blaster I have ever owned. It comes with several attachments/magazines: a forward grip/bipod, a mountable shield, 1 6-Dart Clip, and 3 18- dart magazines. It is fairly durable; nothing feels like it's loose or too weak, and the only wobbly part is the removeable, mounted shield, and only if it's not mounted just right. The best part about the gun is also its worst, the fully automatic capability. It shoots the darts at a fairly high rate, making the smaller 6-Clip almost pointless. Also, before you get this blaster, you should know; it does not, I repeat does NOT have a manual priming mechanism. You must have 6 D-sized batteries to fire this blaster. Also; accuracy? I don't think so. Don't expect to hit any 20 feet away. Don't get me wrong, it has the power, more than enough, just not the accuracy.

Overall, this is a fantastic toy. If you got 50 bucks to burn, this is it. A warning for getting this for children, it is a tad heavy, about 4 1/2 pounds. If he/she is a pre-teen or teenager, this toy will be perfect. A great gift for Christmas or a birthday.
on September 26, 2010
Overall, I love this gun. It looks cool, it has good distance, and fun to use.

I do have some complaints however. First off, it's prone to jams...or at least mine is. I've had at least 3 or four of my darts jammed in there so bad I had to break them apart to get them out. Not sure if it is something I'm doing wrong, if it is I'm more than open to advice. I've noticed it jams more when I use drum mags.

Another complaint I have is that besides the top tactical rail, the rest are kinda useless. I mean, they can fit the shield and bi-pod fine...but I have other accessories like the flashlight and laser pointer and neither one fit any rail except for the top one. Not a huge deal by any means though.

A few other minor pet peeves include the fact that the 18 clip mags are way way too long. They actually take away from the sleek design of the gun. The drum mags work and look much better, unfortunately I've had so much jamming with those that I stopped using them. The bi-pod/handle detaches really easily, so I stopped using that as well. Lastly, the included shield looks kind of stupid on the gun. I know a lot of people like it, I guess it's just personal taste.

Anyways, you're probably thinking I have a lot more negative things to say about this gun than positive. But the fact is, the positives way outweigh the negatives. The jamming may not be wide spread because I haven't heard many complain about it...so maybe it's just mine and really it doesn't jam often enough to make me hate this gun...just enough to be inconvenient. The design is super sleek (besides the giant clips), and this gun is an absolute blast to shoot. You actually feel like you're shooting a real assault rifle. Well I mean, not really, but it's as close as some will ever get.

Basically, I think that every Nerf lover needs this gun. I'm happy to see Nerf improving in leaps and bounds. The Vulcan was a huge step for them and the Stampede is another. Now all they need is a gatling gun with like 8 barrels that can shoot out like five hundred darts per minute. haha.
on November 8, 2010
This one is very cool and fun, but my first two did not work at all. After two exchanges, I got one that worked, but the first two times I got guns that did nothing when you pulled the trigger. It was like there weren't even any batteries in it. The third gun works great, and with the same batteries, so there must just be a defective batch of these guns.

The rate of fire is a little slow, slower even than the Vulcan, I think. And it takes maybe a third of a second to fire the first shot, so ambushes will be tough with this one. The other fellow will have a brief warning as the motor winds up. The gun is very butt-heavy with the batteries in it, and it will not sit on its bipod with one of the 18-round mags in place. It will sit comfortably with the 6-shot mag, or with the small 18-dart drum mag that comes with the Alpha Trooper Nerf guns. It should really be shipped with the Raider 35-dart drum, though. I've tried one, and it really completes the package nicely.

The supplied sights become useless when the shield is in place, and they are very awkward at best, since they sit so low over the barrel. This one was really meant for a scope or somesuch to be mounted on the top rail, or (more likely) simply to be pointed rather than aimed. Ergonomically, the weapon can be rather clumsy. The thumbhole stock makes it hard to obtain a proper firing grip.

In spite of these shortcomings, the Stampede is FUN. This is the light machine gun or automatic rifle companion to your Vulcan machine gun and Raider carbine. Get one of these in every squad of your Nerf army for offensives, and use your Vulcans in fixed defensive positions. And get lots of extra mags, darts, and belts.