4.0 out of 5 stars Cool looking but flawed
Published 7 months ago by Nathaniel

Published 8 months ago by K. Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Idea, Clunky Execution: This Impressive Looking Blaster Just Doesn't Work Properly, August 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not surprised to see the general remarks already cataloged for the Nerf N-Strike Elite Centurion Blaster. And while I don't like to participate in beating the proverbial dead horse, this gun was given to me so that I could offer feedback. And like many others, I found the product problematic in the nicest terms possible. It's a shame, really, because this gun looks absolutely AWESOME. First of all, it is enormous! It even has a bipod stand so that you can hone your sniper skills. Also intriguing, the capability to gather additional hardware such as the Nerf Mission App Tactical Rail Mount to enhance your Nerf warfare experience. Using an iPhone or an iPod Touch, you can secure apps that allow you to record missions and have scoping functionality. Listen, any kid who loves Nerf would definitely want to add this to their collection upon sight.

This is where I'd usually run down the features of a product and offer some sort of commentary. But I have very little to say beyond the basics due to what appears to be a ubiquitous design flaw. While recommended for those aged eight and up, I think this particular unit skews much older. We don't let kids play with the toys in our household, that's a job for the adults! My experiences, therefore, with the Nerf N-Strike Elite Centurion Blaster are from a grown-up perspective. No small or careless hands operated this machinery!

The unit required minor assembly, which was intuitive and uncomplicated. But once the gun was built and loaded, it wasn't very long before the mechanism started becoming very tricky and jamming up. I'm not talking excessive usage, I'm talking fairly conservative play time. With patience and fortitude, you could get the unit to unstick but the issue kept recurring. Frustrated, I simply put the gun down and did a little investigating. That's when I discovered that I was not alone in my dilemma. Others were experiencing the exact same problem and many had completely destroyed their gun.

So as they say, I simply walked away. My blaster is not broken per se, but it is relatively inoperable. I felt like I was spending more time tending to its idiosyncrasies than to actually using it for its intended purpose. Have lots of Nerf merchandising, love Nerf products. But this one needs a trip back to the design studio. Awesome idea, clunky execution. KGHarris, 8/13.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool looking but flawed, September 8, 2013
Before i got the centurion i decided to do some research and read reviews of what people have said. I found both good reviews and bad reviews. The good reviews basically praised the caliber and power of the gun. The bad reviews are a little more common though. Here's why. After shooting the gun about twenty times, i experienced the fabled "stuck in half prime" malfunction. no matter how i fiddled with the bolt i couldn't get it to go all the way forward. Frustrated (I was prepared for this type of malfunction though and so i had my screwdriver ready), I opened the gun up and took a look at the internals. After about two minuets of diagnosing the problem i was able to find the source of the jam. Hasbro had installed a lock to prevent the bolt from slamming forward if you weren't able to chamber a round. This lock however (i have no clue how) managed to stay activated after the prime and was therefore blocking the return of the bolt. To fix this problem, I removed the small little piece that was preventing the handle from traveling forward. It is located inside the jam door on the right side of the blaster. Once that was removed it has fired flawlessly every time(except for failed dart feeds).

The darts however are another story. I like that Nerf is experimenting with new designs, but the materials need to be improved. I have already destroyed 6 darts, both from jams and just regular loading. The problem is the dart walls are too thin at the tip and when loaded they are compressed and bent. This is the cause for most of my jams. If they would reinforce the inside a little farther down from the tip of the dart it would likely help this problem.

All of that being said however, I still love this thing. I've been waiting for a "sniper rifle" like this for some time, since the longshot was a big letdown to me. On a further note i was able to also remove the locks that kept the barrel from being removed. You simply have to remove two screws and two pieces from where the barrel attachment comes in. The lock that prevents the magazine from being fed into the blaster without the attachment is also easy to remove or glue down.

So basically if you're familiar with taking these things apart and working on them this is a fun gun to work on. However, do not get this if you don't plan on taking it apart or buying extra darts. You can buy 10 for around 7 dollars. For any of you that had trouble with this gun I hope this helped.

5.0 out of 5 stars No jams, guaranteed! Read this!, November 29, 2013
This review is from: Nerf N-Strike Mega Centurion (Toy)
How to keep it from jamming, ever! Every time you pull the trigger, slide the bolt all the way forward. About one in five times, you'll hear something inside release. After doing this, I've experienced absolutely NO jams. I'm on my third gun. The first two jammed a lot and at first I thought I just got two defective products. But then this third one started to jam, albeit occasionally. The above method solved this entirely. I've fired my two clips (got if from Costco) over 20 times without getting a single dart jammed.

How to clear a jam 100% of the time: If you pull the bolt back and it won't go all the way forward, a dart is in the chamber. If you do ANYTHING other than what I describe, you'll end up with one, two, or even THREE darts that are mangled by the internals before you clear everything.
1. When you see that the bolt won't go forward and you can't pull the trigger, pull the bolt back a little to get a start and slam the bolt forward.
2. Push the clip release button and PULL the clip out (it doesn't really want to come out, but it won't damage anything, I hope).
3. With no clip in the gun, there's still a dart in the chamber. You CAN fish it out through the breach access, but that might deform the dart and isn't as fun as my method. Pull the bolt back, cocking the gun. Remember, a successful cocking of the dart will result in the chamber covering the dart in the window so that you can't see the top of the clip.
4. Fire the jammed dart.
5. Replace the clip.

I've never had a dart that was damaged since I started using the above method but more importantly, I've stopped having jams entirely since pushing the bolt forward after every successful shot. Like I said, one time out of five, something gently releases inside the gun and a successful cocking ensues after that. Besides, with a large motion like this, it feels kind of cool to go forward that little bit before cocking the bolt ALL the way back.

With all of the above being said, I love this gun. It's huge, the bolts go as far as advertised, even on a windy day for me. I figured I'd lead with a method that I've not read before and that would help a bunch of people. If you love big guns, you'll love this one. Just follow my method to avoid jams and keep the other method in your head in case it fails, which for me it hasn't, but no product run is perfect, is it?

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, August 28, 2013
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
My 10 year old thought the Centurion was the best Nerf ever out of the box, looks great is huge and the large ammo is awesome. 45 minutes later and multiple jams that neither of us could figure out how to avoid he decided his dollars was wasted, on returning heard others had the same issue. Disappointing - product needs development.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, failed exection, September 9, 2013
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
Length:: 3:36 Mins

Man was I excited to order this thing. The pictures and product information on its page made it look very cool. Unfortunately, while the Nerf N-Strike Elite Centurion Blaster is intended to be a heavy-duty sniper rifle toy, what it ends up being is a giant pain-in-the-neck that doesn't work right. Frankly, I am baffled how this thing made it past quality control.

As I show in the video, it does fire up to 100 feet (given good wind, and angling it up at LEAST 15 degrees, 45 or more if you really want it to go for distance) -- but that is about where the fun stops.

The basic problem is that it is nearly impossible to get it to load from the clip. My brother was able to do it a couple of times after carefully positioning the clip in the unit, and cocking the toy at a certain angle. I was never able to get it to load from the clip. I always had to manually load it. (Which I show how to do in the video -- you basically just slide a dart into the cocking mechanism tube inside the unit after pulling down on the loading bolt a bit). The cocking mechanism isn't firmly aligned into place, and there isn't enough give/forgiveness at the "mouth" of the loading tube to continue to load a dart, if the tube catches any part of the edge of the dart. A rounded/sloped/beveled edge instead of a straight/90 degree sharp angled tube mouth would have been a much better design.

So, yeah, the toy hardly works at all. You CAN get it to load (although I am sure loading it manually like I was doing isn't very advisable, and will cause it to break even more eventually), and you can get it to fire (at least the one I got, anyway), but like any Nerf toy gun, this thing isn't very accurate at range, and with the slow rate of fire, no kid is going to want to get stuck with this toy gun when they play with their group, they'd be a sitting target.

I can see the vision Nerf was going for with this one, and they almost made it, but those little details ended up biting them in the end. I can't rate a toy that isn't fun to play with, is hard/impossible to use for a kid, and more or less arrives broken, with anything other than 1 star. Sorry, Nerf, maybe next time.

1 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME Blaster... Problems Solved, July 25, 2013
Steve (Richmond, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
UPDATE: I called the phone number on the back of the instruction sheet and explained the problem. Hasbro was very helpful... they claimed that they're aware of the problem, that they're fixing it, and immediately sent me a return shipping label. About two months later, a replacement arrived. From what I remember of the old one, the new one looks identical, so I'm not sure exactly what has been changed. I expected the same problem, but to my surprise it works perfectly. It's been two months now and I've shot well over 100 darts through it without a single jam.

If you buy one and having the jamming issue, I HIGHLY recommend calling Hasbro on the phone number listed on the instruction sheet. I'm assuming there's a lot of old stock on the store shelves still and exchanging it where you bought it from originally will likely due nothing. It was worth the wait... when this gun works like it should, it's absolutely awesome...
_____________________________________________________________
ORIGINAL REVIEW: "AWESOME Blaster... Extremely poor design. Non-functional after 2 days"
I received my first Nerf gun nearly a month ago and my family has been loving them ever since. This is now my fifth Nerf gun and one I was very much looking forward to getting.

Basically, this is the sniper rifle of Nerf guns... it fires a larger dart at farther distances. Out of the box, it seemed very well constructed. Its few included parts snap together (permanently) to form a rifle nearly 41" in length. It includes a 6-round magazine, 6 darts, and and a removable/folding bipod. The darts that my other Nerf guns use are 2-3/4" long and 1/2" wide... these Megadarts are 3-3/4" long by 3/4" wide. Big enough that you can slide a standard dart into one of the megadarts.

The rifle itself is not very kid-friendly.... it's very long and the cocking mechanism has 12" of travel that makes it very awkward. My 8-year old is unable to handle the rifle well, let alone load and cock it herself. She's at the minimum age (listed as for 8 and up). I have two complaints at this point, both of which are the design... first, it's not possible to look down the sights and line up a target perfectly... the sights are too low. Even my daughter couldn't get her head close enough to the rifle to line up the rear sights with the front. The only way I was able to was by placing my head behind the stock. Second, there's an angled piece that runs from the bottom of the grip to the stock... this part has an edge to it that begins to get uncomfortable after holding the rifle for any length of time. At one point, I found that my wrist was red from rubbing against it. This part is entirely cosmetic and would be best off being rounded, or removed completely.

Despite these two design flaws, for my wife and I, this rifle is a LOT of fun. It's pretty powerful, has a nice long range, and is shockingly accurate. I had no trouble at all shooting soda cans from 20' away. None of my other Nerf guns could come close to doing that. The second day I had it, I brought it outside where my daughters were playing on the front lawn. From a distance of 20-30 feet I was able to hit my oldest daughter twice out of two shots as she ran across the lawn. At a farther distance, I found I needed to angle the gun upwards a little bit, but it was at this longer distance I was finally able to clearly hear the darts whistle through the air. From a distance of about 60', my first shot was with the rifle at about a 5-degree angle, the dart spiraled through the air and amazingly hit my daughter in the knee. The second shot, I increase the angle a bit more and was able to hit her square in the back. Amazing... we were all laughing as it seemed like no matter where she stood, and no matter how much the dart seems to spiral through the air, the dart found its target each time through the remaining four rounds. We were all absolutely shocked at how accurate this rifle was.

Unfortunately, that's where the fun ended. I want to first point out that on the second magazine-full that I fired on the first day, there was a major jam... the cocking bolt got stuck halfway back, and I couldn't move it either back nor forward. After about 5 minutes of trying to figure out what was wrong, I finally applied extra pressure to the bolt and managed to snap it forward again. The rifle worked fine for a while afterwards, however, it had a 'soft jam' twice. 'Soft jam', meaning the the bolt went forward all the way, but ended up squishing the dart like an empty soda can in the chamber. The dart was quickly removed. Later that night, I had one more 'hard jam', where the cocking bolt once again was stuck halfway back.

The second day was when I brought the rifle outside, the first six shots went just fine, but the second magazine full had two 'soft' jamming issues, and two other issues where the dart only shot out 8'. Third magazine full, the rifle had a 'hard' jam on the first dart, and since then, the rifle has not worked at all. Any attempt to cock the bolt, the dart either gets mashed into the chamber, or the bolt jams halfway back. In addition, there was obviously something wrong as the last four attempts ended up ruining the darts by gouging holes into the sides of them.

The Problem:
-------------
I'm now on day three of owning this rifle and after spending the morning inspecting it, I believe I've found the problem. First, the 'soft' jams are caused by the fact that the new Megadarts are just too squishy. They are quite bigger then standard darts, but the wall thickness is the same, making them way too soft. If the dart is not perfectly in line with the breech, the dart just squishes. Compared to the Nerf Rapidstrike CS-18 I have, the darts are rigid enough that any imperfection and the darts still load, forcing themselves in. If the dart has an extreme curve to it, the darts are still rigid enough to simply stop the bolt from moving forward. Here, the Megadarts squish with little effort... they aren't rigid enough to 'self correct' their direction.

The 'hard' jams, the jams where the cocking bolt gets stuck halfway back (which seems to be extremely common judging from the other reviews posted here) are a result of the dart shaft/bolt making contact with the magazine. The magazine's sides extend up and then arc inward to hold the darts in the case. When the magazine is inserted into the rifle, and the cocking bolt is pulled back, a shaft slides forward, underneath these 'arcs' in the magazine, and encases the dart. The problem is, the magazine has a little bit of play in it, and the tolerance of the shaft is minimal: if the magazine isn't 100% pushed in, the shaft will hit the top of the magazine, stopping the cocking bolt knob from sliding back any further. The shaft itself is extremely thin, and after a couple of jams on mine, started bending inward. The shaft no longer slid smoothly over the darts causing damage to the darts and causing additional 'soft' jams. Also, since the darts weren't fully seated in the shaft even when the rifle was cocked properly, the darts would only be propelled a few feet.

After bending the end of the shaft back into shape, I was able to replicate a 'hard' jam by pulling lightly down on the magazine while cocking the rifle. I then resolved the jam by slapping the bottom of the magazine upwards. There is very little room for error between the shaft and the top 'arcs' of the magazine... if the magazine is off at all, there will be a jam. If you look at the 'arcs' at the top of the magazine, you can see they're flared out just a little bit at the rear, obviously to accommodate the the shaft being slightly off-center with the magazine, however in my opinion, there isn't enough flaring. Flaring the rear edges of the magazine 'arcs' more would reduce 'hard' jamming, if not alleviate the problem entirely. This could easily be done after purchase, at home, but of course, I'd like to see Hasbro take care of the problem themselves.

-------------
For the short amount of time this worked, this was our favorite Nerf gun. The rifle itself has incredible potential for being an awesome addition to anyone's Nerf collection, but with the current design, it's a disaster. There's nothing here that can't be fixed, so I'll wait and see if Hasbro steps up and makes the required fixes.

As for my rifle, the damage is still significant enough that it no longer functions properly... I will call the company in the morning and see if I can get it replaced. I will update this review either way...

1.0 out of 5 stars First impressions and second guesses........, March 8, 2014
This review is from: Nerf N-Strike Mega Centurion (Toy)
My son got this for his 8th Birthday from his Grandparents. The first time I seen it I was amazed of it's sheer size and weight. I wanted to be the 8 year old kid with this giant Nerf sniper gun, then the daydream quickly faded away.
Let me say this: There should be a recall on this product. The design and operation suck, plain and simple. The darts CONSTANTLY jam and get chewed up in the chamber, the loading mechanism gets stuck half way gong forward when loading a dart. The only way to really use this gun is to manually load one dart at a time into the chamber, and by not using the clip at all.
The darts that do not get crushed and shredded by the loading mechanism do not escape unharmed; they frequently get small tears on the red foam and that makes them jam even worse when you reuse them.
This gun is too large and cumbersome to use this way, and for a $40 toy, you shouldn't have to be limited to using it this way.
Nerf seems to not have done any research and development with this gun before it was put into production. They need to go back to the drawing board with this one.
Please save your money and do not purchase this one, and if you do, you will definitely be using Amazon's return service as I'm sure you will be disappointed with the operation of this gun.
Hope you find this review helpful!

1.0 out of 5 stars christmas present, December 25, 2013
i have two grandson's that received this for Christmas and both guns jammed i started looking at the gun i think it is fine its the bullets that went bad they were bent and broken and they only had gun for few hours, which means you have to keep buying new bullets. My grandsons have had nerf guns in the past they were great , but this one was the worst, my grandsons were very unhappy with this gun, it was a very big let down.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it., November 7, 2013
The gun started off fun. Now it is a useless doorstop. It jams all the time, and now the loading mechanism destroys bullets 100% of the time. Please avoid this, one of my worst purchases ever.

3.0 out of 5 stars So Close to Being Great..., September 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This gun starts out great. It's Big. It's Loud. It's Heavy. It shoots darts incredibly far compared with other Nerf guns. We never achieved 100 feet, but we did have one go 91 feet. Not too shabby!

My son was deliriously happy. Then he brought it over to a friends house to show it off. When he came back he was disappointed. Gun jams. Inconsistent performance. One dart would go 75 feet, and the next one would only go 30 feet, and about 10 feet to the left. He felt it was useless in combat with his friends.

In subsequent shooting sessions it only got worse. More than half the darts were misfires, and one dart got torn. It seems like the darts just don't hold up. When they are fresh and new, they go great. When they have been used for a little while, not so much.

In summary, this is a really cool gun. Nerf has the right idea. They need a new dart design, though. OR they could sell 100 dart packs for $5 and it would probably be fine. But to sell the gun for more than $40 with only 6 darts, and they go bad within an estimated 25-30 shots each...that's not going to fly.

ARRAY(0xa36aef54)