5.0 out of 5 stars The Mainstay Of Modern Nerf Guns
Nerf's N-Strike Maverick is straightforward no-frills dart gun fun. With no batteries or electronics, right out of the box you or your child can look through the instruction sheet in about 30 seconds, load the darts in about 30 seconds, and you're ready for serious Nerf combat fun.

The Maverick is a sheep in wolf's clothing, visually. Size-wise, it's...
Published on June 27, 2006 by William H III

3.0 out of 5 stars Nerf Maverick N-Stike - Not a Home Run, but Still a Triple
Published on January 3, 2008 by Stuart M. Teramoto

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mainstay Of Modern Nerf Guns, June 27, 2006
William H III (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nerf N-Strike Maverick - Colors May Vary (Toy)

The Maverick is a sheep in wolf's clothing, visually. Size-wise, it's intimidatingly large, enough so to give the impression that a child would have difficulty lifting it, but the plastic is lightweight, and the handle is modestly sized for hands of all ages. The Maverick is actually among the smaller Nerf dart guns currently in production, so while it's not exactly "portable", it is more reasonably sized (and priced) than models with similar features. Despite the apparent complexity of the design, operation is limited to a quick and simple load, cock, and fire.

Loading is similar to an actual revolver gun, utilizing a flip-open rotating six-barrel. It can take a little practice, as you must ensure each of the six darts is seated fully into each barrel, and then make sure the barrel is locked securely back into place once you're done. But from there it's a pull on the slide loader and you're ready to go. This is a single-action gun, meaning you must cock the slide for each shot - Nerf does not currently make any semi- or fully-automatic dart guns, so it's equal to all other Nerf guns in this respect (making each shot have to count makes for a more accurate shooter!).

Firing produces a muted air-gun sound (despite the non-airgun spring mechanism) as the dart rockets away at a pretty remarkable velocity and distance for a dart gun. Nerf's claims of 30+ feet aren't at all overblown, the Maverick is actually powerful enough for big-yard outdoor play. The darts themselves are a harmless suction-cup-on-foam design, in a vibrant day-glo orange that's easy to pick out in grass or behind furniture. They'll stick (at least momentarily) to most surfaces, and produce a dramatic ricochet when they don't stick; no more "I totally hit you/no you didn't" arguments, as even the mildest graze sends the dart careening wildly off course in a day-glo tumble.

Nerf wisely includes an order form in the box for replacement darts, not only the Maverick's basic darts (in packs of up to 30), but also "Sonic" darts which whistle as they fly through the air. Glow-in-the-dark darts are also available.

Overall, the Maverick is the sweet spot in the Nerf dart gun lineup, offering a clever multi-shot design in a smaller package than most other current bigger-is-better models. And the best feature is the price - not only is this one of the cheapest dart guns Nerf currently makes, but at under $10 it's less than half the price of any other Nerf multi-shot gun. With big gun power and features at a little gun size and price, the Nerf N-Strike Maverick is a bang-for-the-buck guaranteed good time for young and old alike.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nerf Maverick N-Stike - Not a Home Run, but Still a Triple, January 3, 2008
This review is from: Nerf N-Strike Maverick - Colors May Vary (Toy)
I'm the dad of a 7 year old boy who has two of these, he received his frist one when he was about 5. He has more fun with them, making this a good value for the dollar. The gun itself is fairly durable being able to withstand being stepped on, thrown against either a hardwood floor or a wall (as hard as a 7 year old can throw it). After over a year of use, one of the two guns did experience a failure with the recoil spring and although I was able to fix it (after an hour), I don't think the average person could have fixed it. After several months of use, the darts have a tendancy to enlarge around the base, causing them to fail to fire unless the dart is pushed in firmly which negates the "rapid fire" feature of the revolving gun compared to similar single shot guns where you load a single dart after each shot.

As far as safety, yes, little 7 year old boys will run around with these and attempt to shoot each other. I've been hit scores of times, at less than 5 feet, in the face and even a couple times on the eyelid and IMHO I would be hard pressed to believe that even a direct hit in the eye could cause lasting damage. Bottom line, it's the best toy dart gun I've seen for little kids, a great value but I wish the darts (of which you can buy tons of spares) were a little more durable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and furious fun but it can hurt, November 19, 2005
This review is from: Nerf N-Strike Maverick - Colors May Vary (Toy)
We bought 2 of these direct from Hasbro's online toy store (cheaper than Amazon and had free shipping too). We have had a lot of fun with them. Our 8 yr old played with them for hours the first day.

Fair warning - a shot within 5 feet on bare skin can certainly sting and hurt for several minutes. The gun has quite a range and the suction cups are great and stick to even some non-flat surfaces.

Great for those rainy days when you get tired of playing board games. It only comes with 6 darts, not 8 like someone else mentioned. They certainly aren't going to give you an extras without paying for it.

The durability is a bit questionable; while the gun itself is well made and thick plastic, the drop out barrel for easier reloading is not so good. You push a button on the side to release the barrel, and sometimes you have to fiddle with it to get it to open. Every once in a while, it won't lock back and you have to pump it and pull the trigger to get it to lock.

If you find that it's not shooting consistently, you probably did not push the darts in far enough. They must be flush with the barrel; if they stick out more than a centimeter, it jams the barrel and keeps it from spinning.

Update July 2009: I questioned the durability when first writing this review back in November 2005; however, this nerf gun is still going strong!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to make it so you can give it 5 stars., July 24, 2007
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Nerf N-Strike Maverick - Colors May Vary (Toy)
O.k, first off, I would have given this gun 4 stars, but then one day I decided I needed to buy more bullets, probably because I didn't have enough darts for all my guns. I bought some Sonic Micro Darts to try out with my Maverick. The first thing I noticed was they looked cooler in the barrel of my Maverick. But it get's better. I fired and it flew far. Really far. At least 3 FEET FARTHER!
Plus they whistle, so it sounds like bullets are whizzing over your head. With the Sonic Micro darts, the Maverick is top notch. Also, you can modify it even if you think your bad at doing stuff like that. There's 2 little plastic pieces to cut off, and then the barrel comes out all the way, which makes reloading faster. I dont have any problems with this gun, except for somtimes the barrel can't spin because a dart is sticking up. Just push it down.

Remember, I gave it 5 stars BECAUSE I'm using Nerf Sonic Micro Darts not normal micro darts. Without Sonic Micros, the range is bad.

This was reviewed by an 11 year old. Please put this in your mind when reading my review, and a parents review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!, August 1, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Nerf N-Strike Maverick - Colors May Vary (Toy)
I just got this thing and I love how the barrel turns every time you shoot, making it quick to reload. It shoots pretty hard. It also has superb acurracy. I could easily hit my sister from about 30 feet away. Buy this and you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Arms in Cubicle Battleground, January 31, 2008
Michael Todd (Rohnert Park, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nerf N-Strike Maverick - Colors May Vary (Toy)
I purchased this as a distraction at my work. Foam dart weaponry makes for easy entertainment in an afternoon break. I had seen the Nerf Maverick before and when I actually examined the price tag, the decision to purchase it was easily made.

There were three primary reasons that prompted my selection of the Nerf Maverick:

1) The size. It's a child's toy for sure, but it easily fits in an adults hand (aside from some minor pinky-finger displacement). It has a good weight to it, and throwing it around a bit in my cube, it seems sturdy enough to survive my, or any child's, play activities.

2) Functionality. The revolver like mechanism is impressive, and aides in reloading. Also, in truth, it actually makes reloading fun as well. I haven't experienced any problems with the button to disengage the chambers, but I did notice that you can flick it shut with your wrist, which is cool.

Also, with the sonic-tip darts, the toy becomes instantly more enjoyable for you because of the added audible reaction and more annoying to everyone around you. If you enjoy annoying people, than you can expect a 200% increase in happiness by purchasing the sonic-darts. However, I cannot advise parents to purchase those darts unless said parents are often the targets of said darts. Having them whistle through the air will give a parent the chance to hear from where the dart is coming and can both dodge the dart and seek out said renegade child with ease.

3) Aesthetics. It looks cool. It's very sci-fi inspired, and the cocking mechanism is a slide, which doesn't take away from it at all. It's easily the best looking Nerf gun I have come across. You could easily paint it to look like a sci-fi prop (and I likely will as neon yellow doesn't suit this Cube Warrior).

Overall, I'm exceedingly pleased with this toy.

As a note, I did rate it a three in educational as it does teach hand/eye coordination. However, I know for a fact that I know nothing of educating children, and thus should be taken as the non-expert that I am. Still, I do believe that children should learn to interact with their environment without looking specifically at which they intend to interact... even if that interaction involves shooting foam darts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hasbro Really Outdid Themselves!!!!!!!!!!!, October 3, 2005
Brad (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nerf N-Strike Maverick - Colors May Vary (Toy)
This is the Nerf Maverick. This is a target practice only gun, (well at least tell your parents that) The gun looks like a kind of a magnum, and has a great grip. It has six shots. Now, the reason it has a barrel is so you don't have to put a new shot in each time, but you still have to pull the crank back each shot, but it is still really good. I have to tell you that mine was defective, and it came with the plastic mold for the six bullets, but it was emty. It is pretty loud, and my dad doesn't like that. It is a lot of fun, but my dog chews up the bullets a lot, so don't say I didn't warn you. I gave it four stars on durability because I've dropped it several times, and not even a scratch on it! True,I've only had it a little while. I said it was slightly educational because (call me crazy)if you look at it from the mechanical point of veiw with the springs,etc., it's scientific.Overall, this is an excellent nerf gun, and it is probably good for ages eight and up, depending on how mature you are.I would be willing to pay $30.00 for this if it was, so ten bucks is a good deal. I love this gun.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best entertainment I had for ~$10, April 16, 2007
K. Yagi (Cupertino, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Excellent!

Shoots fast and to where you aim. Yet it's not so fast that it would hurt anyone. Made very well, I tried a lot of things with it like putting my finger where the bullet comes out or whatever.. it's built very well. You can't break it or get hurt from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for any Dorm Room, July 6, 2010
This review is from: Nerf N-Strike Maverick - Colors May Vary (Toy)
I realize that most of the reviews for this product are aimed for a different age demographic (and rightfully so), but I have to say, the Maverick was one of the main things that got me through my Freshman year of college. If you know are about to send off a college-aged kid or are putting together a care package to mail them, I am a firm believer that every dorm room or apartment needs at least one functioning Nerf gun.

The Maverick is small enough to fit on a bookshelf, and the suction darts are perfectly designed to stick to an textbook from across the room, or the back or an unsuspecting roommate's laptop. Although I hugely recommend this toy as fun and easy to use for its appropriate age group, I can't hope to express the hours of stress-relieving fun I've had after bringing mine to school. Truly, it is amazing how much happiness this $15 dollar toy can bring a group of homesick freshmen.

5.0 out of 5 stars What part can Nerf guns "play" in learning?, November 16, 2013
This review is from: Nerf N-Strike Maverick - Colors May Vary (Toy)
At one time, I would have just called this a durable toy with no purpose in my classroom. Then other teachers began to share how they used different Nerf guns to make review enjoyable. I began with trying this out in the area of math review. After writing several numerals on a white board, I asked a question and had he children shot the answer. Team races were very popular as each child wanted a turn. I tried this with children ranging from grades 5-12 and all of them were very excited to do math review. One teacher told me that she used this to review sign language.

I never before would have called Nerf an educational toy; my view has change. Even the parent at home could use this gun to teach anything from geography (shoot at locations on a wall map) to vocabulary (provide a definition and have the child shoot the correct word card on your wall).

Educators have kept this a secret too long.

Nerf N-Strike Maverick - Colors May Vary