4.0 out of 5 stars Better than v11
Nero v12 has hit the shelves. The world's most successful CD/DVD burning suite has experienced yet another reincarnation, while trying to evolve into the ultimate digital experience suite.

PROS:
Published on October 23, 2012 by Pavel Tsvetkov

1.0 out of 5 stars Did NOT even install
Do NOT purchase this product. I purchased it from Nero's web site, as a download. I tried repeated (unsuccessful) installation attempts. Each displayed the number "1158" and no other error text. I then contacted Nero.

Published on October 10, 2012 by techfan

1.0 out of 5 stars Did NOT even install, October 10, 2012
This review is from: Nero 12 Platinum (DVD-ROM)

I responded immediately, and thoroughly, to their requests for information. Finally, after more than a week without resolution, I reluctantly requested instructions for obtaining a refund.

Nero's exact response was as follows: "Thank you for your e-mail. Please be advised that we are unable to offer a refund, as defined by our terms of trade. These terms were accepted with the purchase of Nero from our website [...]."

If you have doubts about this review, try searching "Nero error 1158" for countless similar complaints.

I previously owned Nero 7 Ultimate. It was a great product. However, the company has now slid so far downhill that they will not even provide a refund for a product that fails to install.

Following Nero's final response, I immediately contacted my credit card company. They (American Express) were wonderfully helpful. If you purchase the product anyhow, and encounter similar issues, I suggest you also contact your credit card company.

This is the first time I've seen a product that fails to install. Further, the one or two complaints I've had, in the past 25 years, have been dealt with professionally. Even companies consisting entirely of a single developer have responded more appropriately. To see a company, like Nero, behave so unprofessionally is truly disappointing...and unexpected.

I truly hope they revise their approach towards customer service and return to their previous excellence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than v11, October 23, 2012
This review is from: Nero 12 Platinum (DVD-ROM)

PROS:
1. NERO LISTENS TO CUSTOMERS: This time around the installation file is much smaller, which means that the developers at Nero has taken note of what customers had to say about previous versions.
2. RELIABLE TECHNOLOGY: I have friends still using versions 6 and 7, so that should give you an idea of how good software engineering has been at Nero - if the product still works well after all those years.
3. NBR - NO 1: Nero Burying ROM - the heart and soul of the digital suite - is as good as ever, and with the addition of Nero DiscSpan and SecurRom is currently offering more than any other CD/DVD authoring suite on the planet.
4. REVAMPED: Nero Video (formerly known as Nero Vision) has been revamped and continually improved since version 10 with background editing, Express Editing and Storyboarding tools, Prosumer workflow on demand, etc. and will not leave the user wanting. Nero Recode seems to have been re-written from scratch, and is starting to look good. It should become a major player in the segment with its next version. I would recommend the following further development: (1) a bigger (longer) encoding bar visualization, even a detachable one that would show progress on top of other windows, when the main Nero Recode window has been closed; (2) the constantly spinning clock is hardly necessary - it would be preferable to have a visualization that shows time taken and remaining; please, also check if time calculation is consistent, when pausing and continuing jobs; (3) it would be great if the user could control CPU load and pick the number of CPU cores used (along the lines of IMTOO video encoder). (4) Time calculation until finish seems to change back and forth too often - please, correct it.
5. A NEW LOOK AND FEEL: Gone are the balloon transitions that took a looong time to disappear, and almost no one seemed to like.
6. A SENSIBLE APPROACH: Nero Burning ROM, Nero Video and Nero BackItUp are sold separately, so you can pick the product you need at the optimum price, or buy the whole package in Nero v11 Platinum. Offering those applications separately means that Nero has finally recognized the fact that not all components in the bundle may be described as equally successful - and has done what would be right for customers.

CONS
1. TIME AND SPACE ISSUES: Installation took quite a long time: comparable with the installation of Windows XP. Further, immediately after the installation Nero reported that an update was available (why, if I had just downloaded the installation package from their website?), so I had to go through the long download and update process again. I would recommend to have updated installation packages (trials) on the site - it would save customers time. Also: it seems that gigabytes of installation data is left behind on the HDD. If this is true, it needs to be erased at the end of the installation process. You need to remove those manually, which is both unnecessary and is an overkill for the average user.
2. PLAYBACK AND VIEWER ISSUES: Since v10 Nero have decided to drop Showtime - their dedicated DVD player, which may not have been the best on the market, but was nevertheless quite useful. Version 12 introduces NERO Blu-ray Player (the successor of Nero Showtime), but that said, I would like to point out that on my computer (HP Elitebook 6930p with a DVD player) I have not been able to use NERO Blu-ray Player even once: it does not want to play DVDs, or *.avi's or any other media file, so it has been useless to me. I hope this is a problem that has happened only to me.
3. BUNDLED, BUT UNNECESSARY: BackItUp is a Nero bundled product that I do not install. Why? I have ViceVersa, and the difference in functionality is simply enormous. BackItUp is eye candy, but I'd rather have a highly configurable piece of software with a more modest interface. Also, Kwik (which is a big and clumsy media manager) is still around, although why someone would like to install and use it with the excellent and free PotPlayer and Faststone Viewer/Picasa around, is beyond me.
4. CONFUSING NAMES: Do we really need Nero Video and Nero Recode as separate products? Both are used to transcode, edit, manage video. Even their names are similar, so why not have a single product?
5. TOO EXPENSIVE: Platinum is the best version of Nero on the market, but still it is a little pricey in my opinion. The truth is that burning CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays is in decline, as this medium will become less and less popular, and as far as the other bundled products are concerned, there are better rippers, players, viewers, backup tools on the market. It is difficult to justify the high price.

CONCLUSION:
1. Nero solidifies its position among the top players with CD/DVD burring tools being top-notch and Video (as well as the upcoming Recode) editing tools being among the best prosumer solutions on the market (Cyberlink, Roxio and Ulead being its close competitors). Nero Burning ROM is simply No 1 on the planet - period.
2. Kwik and BackItUp - both products should either be re-thought fundamentally or dropped altogether. They are just eye candy, but no one wants a slow and clumsy interface combined with limited functionality.
3. It seems that Nero developers have paid attention to customer complaints and the new Nero v12 is tidier and quicker than its predecessor.
4. A reduction in price could be helpful.

Kind Regards,
PTs

5.0 out of 5 stars Diverse and flexible features, March 27, 2013
This review is from: Nero 12 Platinum (DVD-ROM)
I have Win7 64 bit, cpu = i7 960, with 18 mbps internet download speed. With this hardware and connection I have had no trouble installing Nero 12 Platinum. So far so good - the interfaces for the various modules (burning rom, nero express, etc) are intuitive. The updater works perfectly. It is a credit to Nero that they are providing as free downloads the sound editing modules (SoundTrax, Nero Wave Editor) and CoverDesigner. I use these a lot and Wave Editor comes with many audio codecs including lame, mp3, wav, FLAC and much, much more. The quality of recodes can be customized in detail.

The Ask toolbar can be declined during installation, but if it is on your computer somehow (from Nero or prior downloads), you can uninstall it from Control Panel, Programs and Features. I'll update this review when I get more experience, but so far no complaints. Nero provides a lot of functionality for not a lot of money.

Update 3/28/2013. Had trouble playing commercial blue ray disk in Nero Blue Ray Player: the image was pixilating. I found a fix as follows. In "Options" menu of the player you can choose different video decoding methods. I chose "Partial Hardware" instead of "Full Hardware"(default: decoding is performed by your video card GPU) or "Software" (decoding performed by your computer CPU) and now blue ray movie plays fine. I conclude therefore that some problems with Blue Ray Player may be related to the capabilities of the hardware (My video card is ATI Radeon HD5800. My DVD/BD drive is LITE-ON iHBS212-08 with latest H05 firmware).

I found out from Nero that you cannot play DVDs using Nero Blue Ray Player. You must use Nero Kwik Media to play DVDs.
Nero Kwik[sic] Media is causing a lot of headaches for people, according to posts on Nero Community. When you open KWIK it launches a search of hard drives and directories (or even your home network), cataloging various types of media files so you can access them from one place (i.e. Nero Kwik Media). In the Options menus there does appear to be a way to restrict the drives and directories searched, or you can tell it not to search. I will have to see how effective that is.

It can burn data to CD, DVD or BD, and optionally password protect the disks. Nice archival feature.

2.0 out of 5 stars I imagine it is great, if it worked., January 19, 2013
This review is from: Nero 12 Platinum (DVD-ROM)
I have used Nero products since Nero 5, always opting for the best they have to offer because they had the best to offer. Unfortunately the Nero 10 Suite is the last product that has lived up to my expectations, and even that one had some issues, mostly pertaining to the installation after that it was fine. I have a small hit list of what I find to be major problems, for me at least, and almost no positive comments on this version.

My first and biggest complaint is the fact that if, like me, you use a Server OS as your desktop in your home or small business you have to go through an extensive process of modifying the installer to actually get it to install. Even though the kernel for Win7 and Server 2K8 R2 are almost identical Nero wont allow the install to go through, why, I have no clue it you make the adjustments it works all the way through. Honestly even if there was some warning and a notice of no support because you are installing on an unsupported OS I think we would be okay. Chances are if we are using a server OS we have the brains to trouble shoot our own problems. (And in regards to the inevitable "if you are using a server why don't you get a desktop" or "get server grade software for your server" comments, I like to stick with companies I have had a good experience with in the past and I made the switch to server from desktop to make my network more secure and more customizable why would I want another $10K system if the server does everything a desktop does. I can even install all of my games without modification. What makes Nero so ******* special?

My second problem with this great but horrible suite is the lack of support for network storage(I have to use the suite inside of a VM because of the previous issue and only have 50GB of allocated space, why would I make a 500GB VHD if I only need it to do one thing?). I have not gotten a single Nero product to function with a network storage location without having to pull all of my hair out, and the one I did get to work stopped again after a system restart. This is almost a bigger problem than my first because I record video in very very large chunks, between 400-600GB in one file (I record games by the way so pick you minds up out of the gutter please). I compress and edit later and the only place I can store that much in one go is my server. I need to resolve one of these two problems or I can not stay using Nero any more.

Third on my hit list is the terrible performance in a Virtual environment, I have gotten Sony Vegas Pro and World of Warcraft to run simultaneously in a VM with less lag time than I could get any Nero software to just open. I do not know why this is such a problem but it is a really bad one. I ran Sony and WoW on a 2 core 4GB RAM VM and ran Nero on a 8 core 16GB RAM VM (I al so shutdown all other VMs on the servers) and it took me almost three hours to just close Nero after it opened. I also tried so switch the VMs specs and Nero wouldn't even open on the 4GB VM it froze and crashed the VM. I ultimately had to scrap all of the VMs I tried installing Nero to as it caused them to repetitively crash or fail.

I have a forth issue but it is really just more of the first three.

On the bright side when I do get everything working in the "perfect scenario" the suite does preform wonderfully. I did use the back up software for a time but opted for a free alternative that supported network storage after I got my second data server back up and running full tilt.

Over all I would recommend this to anyone who has a decent need for this kind of software but really doesn't want something too technical. Home users with no home media server, this would fit nicely. If you are like me and have a large network storage system with virtual servers and need some network compatibility, chances are you are going to have problems just because of the way you are going to use this. Save your self the migraines and sleepless nights thinking you are the problem not the software, and find something else.

P.S. Nero if you read this, giving me a work around or fix to any of my issues would make me a much happier geek. If you fix one I can work around the others. If not, I am sorry but I don't think I can shell out 100+ dollars for each new version when nothing works for me. Good Luck Nero!

MP

2.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 stars would be appropriate, December 10, 2012
This review is from: Nero 12 Platinum (DVD-ROM)
Long ago, I started using Nero as a product to burn CD's and perform a few of the other tasks that it is decent at doing. Each year, there is an update with a slight discount for previous customers. Nearly every year, I have begrudgingly paid for the new version to keep compatibility with the latest hardware and Windows versions.

At the start, their customer service was excellent the few times it was needed, the software installed fairly quickly and worked better than competing products while also offering more features. I apparently started using Nero at their peak of excellence. Each successive version has taken longer to install, been buggier and their attitude toward paying customers gotten worse. At this time, a purchase from Nero gives a short period to download the software. They strongly suggest paying extra for the privilege of being able to download the software again later (which could be helpful as they release bugfixes). The customer support has gone from decent/good to quite horrible requiring the customer to jump through many awkward hoops. For me, the final straw with Nero 12 was the last update which wanted to install crapware along with the Nero update - unacceptable for a product that costs what Nero does.

On a slightly positive note, Nero 12 does seem to be a slight improvement over Nero 11 (especially with Windows 8). Aside from using it to burn data to discs (sharing and backup), I use the Blu Ray playback on occasion (at this point, VLC works better to play movies on my PC).

I would only recommend Nero products to someone who fully understands what they will be getting themselves into.

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE---BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!, December 7, 2012
Amazon Customer (Carlsbad, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nero 12 Platinum (DVD-ROM)
As others have reported here, this version of Nero clearly has a problem with installation. But it doesn't end there. What makes matters worse is that Nero's Germany-based tech support could care less about fixing the problem. I tried--and failed--to load it on Monday of this week. When it failed multiple times I contacted tech support. They sent back an email the next day which was basically a regurgitation of info on their website about disabling the firewall. I had already done that, so I wrote back and they later got back with me telling me to run a program and send them the file. That was four days ago!!! So I wrote to them yesterday asking that they please respond. But instead of getting help, they basically blew me off with a generic response saying that their response time was 2-5 working days.

If that isnt bad enough, I called their customer service. Trust me here......they are every bit as bad as the tech support department.....wouldnt give any help at all......basically said "tough s***". Not in those exact words, but that was the message that was delivered loud and clear.

I am guessing that like most nero products, if you can get it to work, it probably does a good job. But god help you if you have any problems! Because they just dont care about solving them.

ADDENDUM--written several weeks after this original post. Nero tech support finally contacted me on the fifth day of their self-imposed window--making it a week for them to get back to me. It seems that this version has a serious flaw in it. What was hanging up the installation was that this version cannot install over a previous version, and it has no "uninstall previous version" capability like other programs. So to fix the problem I had to manually uninstall the other version, and only then could this one install like it should have from the very start. One would think that this little piece of info might be on the website, but I guess something like that would never occur to them. Especially since it is clearly a problem with the program, and of course they cannot admit to making any mistakes. Better by far to treat the customer like something that comes out of the back end of a dog than to admit your program is defective. Maybe its the "corporate culture" there, but as I said earlier taking care of the customer is just not a priority with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars First update since Nero 2008 where i don't feel ripped off, February 9, 2013
terster "Terster" (Madison, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nero 12 Platinum (DVD-ROM)
I remember using Nero back when Adaptec was considered the best. Nero was one of the only ones that did not eat up all of my SUPER FAST 2x DVD-r disks. LOL Remember when 2x was the WHOW? When the Intel 386 state of the art?

I stuck with them year after year after year... and over the years... the bloat has grown and the overall quality of the product has deteriorated. As I say... the fall of the roman empire!

I have Nero 2005, 2006, 2007, all the way up to the new 2012.

Until 2012 came out this year... I keep going back to Nero 8. It's one of the last that actually works without crashing all the time. Nero 2012, I think, for the first time in YEARS... has been updated and it seems to work well.

One thing I really dislike about Nero... they do not provide online updates anymore. Instead you're forced to use their control center to do updated. IT will scan and download them.

Version 2012, SO FAR... is the only version since 2010 I think it was where they introduced this horrible feature... that it actually works. I has not crashed on me yet and updates don't take hours.

But is till hate the fact that I can't just go online and download a full .EXE/MSI/ZIP file so that if I wipe my hard drive and do a new clean install... I can just reinstall the product and updates. Instead, we're still forced to use that control center.

But, Nero... they will allow me to BUY an update disk. How kind! Because they don't gouge enough as it is.

Anyhow... Nero 11, was awful. Nero 10 was awful. Nero 9 was blah. Nero 8 was stable and reliable. Nero 12, so far, is the first "upgrade" by Nero where I don't feel like I've been totally ripped off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horridly Useless and bloated product, November 25, 2012
This review is from: Nero 12 Platinum (DVD-ROM)
I purchased this product primarily to replace Nero 4 Mediashare, which I used to stream video's throughout my home. Nero 4 was awesome: simplistic, reliable, easy to find and interact with other devices. Nero 12? USELESS. Steaming is impossibly difficult, works with only a handful of low end developers, and bloated with addition useless features (WHO really uses "face recognition" software to search their computer?!?). I sent a note asking how to stream to customer service and their response: "it is the same as Nero 4, please utilize the help function and notify us if problems persist." Seriously? It is NOT like Nero 4... The additional items that come with the purchase are additionally useless. I have yet to find a bluray that I CAN rip/convert as the program says they are all digitally protected. Again, USELESS. The player? Takes more RAM to operate than most high end computer games. Bottom line: too expensive, too bloated, too many useless features. There is not a single item packaged in Nero I've found useful to date (2 x weeks). I'm giving this one more week of tinkering, but if nothing changes I'm uninstalling and sucking down a waste of $45. Never again, Nero...

1.0 out of 5 stars Product Does Not Support 7.1 Audio Channels, December 25, 2012
William J. Jones (Glen Burnie, MD, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nero 12 Platinum (DVD-ROM)
I have many video files that contain 7.1 Channels of DTS, AC-3, PCM, or Dolby True HD Audio Tracks. Nero 12 doesn't support editing those files and keeping the original audio tracks and will alter them to its own limited formats that are restricted to 5.1 Channels. The end result is that the audio quality is diminished, which isn't acceptable. It bothered me so much that I returned the product for a refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stinks on Ice, August 27, 2013
This review is from: Nero 12 Platinum (DVD-ROM)
Purchased online from Nero...
Crashed my Amd 6 core ssd boot disc.
12meg ram....system.
Crashed my HIS 7700 video card drivers 4 times...
REmoved the program and went back to nero 8 two frustrating hours later...
Requested a refund and was met with a robot response that quoted company policy....

So look for Nero Stinkers on Facebook

My SN for the product is listed on the nero site on facebook for anyone to have for free
as I will never see my 39.99 ever again.

Thank you and dont forget to run the other way as fast as you can from Nero 12.5...
I think it is related to that beast that lives under your bed and has from the time you were a small child
and got your own bedroom...if you buy this it will reside under your mattress and come out at night and
rip your soul from your body.

Good luck.

Nero 12 Platinum
Nero 12 Platinum by Nero Inc. (Windows, Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)
$129.99 $99.99