on October 21, 2011
Format: Software
I've used Nero since version 6 and have always found it to be a pretty good, but not great, suite of products. Burning ROM has always been excellent and the "recode" tool has always been superior to anything else I could find. The other Nero tools have always been meh in my opinion.

I personally am not happy with Nero 11. On the surface they try to make it look like they improved the Recode product, but it is actually less flexible and does a worse job than Recode 10. If you go to the Nero web site you will see a lot of complaints that they have moved in the wrong direction with this particular tool. Also, the Nero Video product (in version 10 was called Nero Vision) blows up performing operations that worked for me in version 10. I am running a powerful machine, Windows 7 x64 with all latest patches, so there is no reason that version 11 should have issues when 10 did not.

I contacted Nero to see if I could get a refund, and there answer was just "No per our Terms and Conditions". They are a German company and thus do not have to abide by US laws, at least not if you purchase directly from them and download the software. I searched on this topic and found similar complaints on the web. They have my money now and I guess there's nothing I can do about that, but this is the last Nero purchase I will ever make.

I'm honestly surprised by all of the 4 and 5 start reviews for this product because it really doesn't deserve such high praise. If you want a whole suite of just OK tools, most of which aren't necessary if you have Vista or Windows 7 (such as their version of media center, their version of windows player, their version of back up, etc), then this may be a package for you. For me, this was my last Nero purchase.

*** 2011-10-26 Update. Nine days ago I reported my issues about Nero Video to Nero Technical Support. I uploaded the files they requested and answered all questions about my system on that same day. I have sent 2 follow up emails asking for a status but have yet to get a reply. I've read other reviews that state that Nero Tech Support is terrible - it is.

*** 2011-11-08 Update. I received a note from tech support on 10-27 (the day after my previous update) asking me to resend my information and diagnostic files - so I did. Then eleven days later I receive another note asking if I will burn my video file on a DVD and mail it to them in Germany. Really? They don't have a way to FTP files to them for this purpose? At this point I think I'm giving up on tech support as it just isn't worth my time and extra money to ship international mail to these guys - especially when I'm not confident they won't lose anything I send them and then ask me to ship it again. Besides I've already purchased a different program for cutting commercials out of recorded TV and re-encoding them. Its called VideoRedo and is working great for that purpose. Wow - I really can't get over how poor Nero service is.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2011
Format: Software
ARRRGH. As the happy owner/user of many previous versions of Nero, I finally bit at one of their e-mail offers to get Nero 11. The first mistake was my own fault - I had the version of 10 that included Blu Ray playback. I purchased the wrong version and had a really rough time finding contact information to fix the mis-purchase. Their cust service person said I was stuck with the version I purchased (no refunds or changes) but that I could buy an upgrade to get the version I wanted. Back to their page and completed the purchase. Still waiting on something other than my purchase confirmation for the upgrade... No new key yet.

Maybe the upgrade applies to my current key? Tried installing the "regular" version of Nero 11 - it's a very long install, only to find that the "updates are available" was endlessly blinking in the notification area. Trying to run their updater failed with the program just flashing and going nowhere. It's now uninstalled so I can begin the long process of trying to contact them again for a resolution.

Other advice from my experience: you must be logged in as an administrator to have a chance to install the software. It simply won't install if you are logged in as a regular user. There are no prompts from the Nero Installation to let you know of this issue.

Update: there is an issue with the Nero auto-update through at least two different versions of their software including what is the newest as of 12-13-2011 on their site. The update process tries, hangs, resets itself, tries... an endless useless loop.
The first Nero rep was unaware of this issue. The latest rep is sending an e-mail with steps for a work around.
on October 19, 2011
Format: Software
The new Nero has hit the shelves. The world's most successful CD/DVD burning suite has experiened yet another reincarnation, while trying to evolve into the ultimate digital experience suite.

PROS:
1. RELIABLE TECHNOLOGY: I have friends still using versions 6 and 7, so that should give you an idea of how good software engineering has been at Nero - if the product still works well after all those years.
2. NBR - NO 1: Nero Burying ROM - the heart and soul of the digital suite - is as good as ever, and with the addition of Nero DiscSpan and SecurRom is currently offering more than any other CD/DVD authoring suite on the planet.
3. REVAMPED: Nero Video (formerly known as Nero Vision) has been revamped and continually improved since verion 10 with background editing, Express Editing and Storyboarding tools, Prosumer workflow on demand, etc. and will not leave the user wanting.
4. HELP AVAILABLE: The complete workflow has been improved with help and explanations at your fingertips (something missing in the past).
5. A SENSIBLE APPROACH: Nero Burning ROM, Nero Video and Nero BackItUp are sold separately, so you can pick the product you need at the optimum price, or buy the whole package in Nero v11 Platinum. Offering those applications separately means that Nero has finally recognized the fact that not all components in the bundle may be described as equally successful - and has done what would be right for customers.

CONS
1. PLAYBACK AND VIEWER ISSUES: Since v10 Nero have decided to drop Showtime - their dedicated DVD player, which may not have been the best on the market, but was nevertheless quite useful. Now Kwik media has been introduced, but it leaves much to be desired with regards to speed and usability. It will also hijack all your video and picture formats at the time of installation, if you do not uncheck a not very conspicuous tick box, which is checked by default. I never install Kwik anyway, and with PotPlayer and FastStone Image Viewer available (both excellent and free) I do not feel anyone else should. The very fact that the multimedia player is called Kwik (being the slow and clumsy mastodon that it really is) is an expression of Nero's wonderful sense of humor.
2. TIME AND SPACE ISSUES: The installation package for Nero 11 Platinum is almost 1 GB big. Installation time is 30-40 minutes, which is almost as long as the installation time of Windows XP. Takes up 2.2 GB on your HDD. When installation finishes it leaves behind some 3 GB of temporary files on your HDD. You need to remove those manually, which is both unnecessary and is an overkill for the average user.
3. BUNDLED, BUT UNNECESSARY: BackItUp is another Nero bundled product that I do not install. Why? I have ViceVersa, and the difference in functionality is simply enormous. BackItUp ls eye candy, but I'd rather have a highly configurable piece of software with a more modest interface.
4. TOO BIG: Although customers have been continually unhappy over the years with Nero's growing size, it seems that its developers are not unfazed with such opinions and continue to make Nero bigger and shinier, while at the same time keeping the changes in functionality to the minimum.
5. NOT QUITE STABLE YET: At the time of the publishing of this review the product was not quite stable yet.

CONCLUSION:
1. Nero solidifies its position among the top players with CD/DVD buring tools being top-notch and Video editing tools being among the best prosumer solutions on the market (Cyberlink, Roxio and Corel being its close competitors). Nero Burning ROM is simply No 1 on the planet - period.
2. Kwik and BackItUp - both products should either be re-thought fundamentally or dropped altogether. They are just eye candy, but no one wants a slow and clumsy interface combined with limited functionality.
3. As a whole, I do hope Nero developers pay more attention this time and Nero v12 (when it comes out) is less in size and more agile.
on December 3, 2011
Format: Software
UNABLE TO INSTALL: I had an older version of NERO on my iold computer and it was a good program. I purchased NERO 11 from AMAZON. I am unable to install it. I have a Dell XPS 9100, Windows 7, 64 bit. It gives me the message that I need a file called NERO.DolbyFiles.msi. This are nowhere to be found. I have contacted Tech Support by eMail. NO RESPONSE. For telephone support they charge $1.29 per minuted even if you are put on hold) . I have been with computers for over 20 years and have never had such bad support from any other company.................
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 5, 2011
Format: Software
I would only use this to make disc copies! and that is if it actually works. Seriously! Freezes randomly with Windows 7 and will make coasters from time to time.
on December 9, 2011
Format: SoftwareVerified Purchase
If it works you are lucky. Do not expect any support from Nero support. They requested me logs and it's been two weeks, no response from them
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2011
Format: Software
As of Nov 2nd, if you're looking to use the Nero 11 Wave Editor in XP it will not work properly. After opening a mp3 file, editing it by changing any detail and then trying to save it Wave Editor crashes. I tried changing the pitch for one file on one XP computer and on another installation I tried adding a doppler effect to a different mp3 file. I saved the files and attempted to close Wave Editor. On both computers the program crashed. When Wave Editor was re-opened all controls were missing. The menu bar was gone. Restarting the program did nothing to change the problem. Rebooting Windows offered no relief as well.
I have been in touch with Nero support and they confirm the problem and say they have put their technicians on the project of finding a solution that they will patch in a future update. How long will that be they do not say. The problem did not happen when I installed Nero 11 in Windows 7.
Since I purchased this program mainly for burning CDs, DVDs and editing music files I'm pretty annoyed at not being able to use it for its intended purpose on my XP system. As an experiment I installed Nero 11 on three XP computers running different hardware and the issue came up consistently with Wave Editor each time.
If you're a Wave Editor user and expect enjoyment I would wait before purchasing Nero 11 until they've fixed the problem. Hopefully they'll contact me when they have it corrected so I can revamp this review. Something as basic as this should have been noticed by their techs before reaching the consumer.

After 4 months Nero issued a fixed version of Nero 11 and Wave Editor is working properly as of 3/2/12. I cannot comment on the other areas of Nero working properly, but at least this portion is.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 9, 2011
Format: SoftwareVerified Purchase
If you do not already know how to use Nero, don't purchase this product. Finding out how to do things, or even whether it is possible to do what you need to do, is frustrating and time consuming. I should not have to search the web to find out how the program works. (There are no instructions and the manual available online is useless.) Perhaps if you already know what you are doing, this may work, but for people looking for a first media program, there must be better programs available. I regret my purchase.
on November 19, 2011
Format: Software
Sometimes it works and much of the time it does not. It won't tell you it didn't work. It just fails to make a copy. Is this because they don't update it along with Microsoft updates? I don't know. I expect to buy a product and have it work. I've just downloaded another product and am trying that one out.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2011
Format: SoftwareVerified Purchase
I upgraded from Nero 9,(which was almost perfect) to Nero 11. They have changed the launch interface fom waves to balloons. The Nero back up programme dosen't work period. End result, I uninstalled Nero 11 and reinstalled Nero 9. Don't waste your money on Nero 11. If you can, get a copy of Nero 9. It has all the same features and everything works.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...