on August 23, 2013
So I am right now using my Nesco dehydrator to dry some delicious, fresh, home-grown plums - and my entire house is filled with the smell of hot plastic. How healthy is it to permeate my food with plastic solvents? I would suspect not healthy at all. And yet, no one has mentioned this in any review that I've read so far. My hope is that eventually, the plastic will have off-gassed as much as it is going to, with only trace amounts left, and after this, maybe I can dry things with the impression that I'm only very minimally poisoning myself and my family. I'll check back here later with a report, after a few more runs. Right now, I'm pretty angry, and I also feel stupid. I knew the thing was made of plastic, but somehow "hot plastic" didn't register when I was thinking about healthy, fresh dried fruits and veggies.

Update: So after 46 hours of use, the smell is undetectable. I just finished up a batch of dried pears, and they look and taste good, so I'm happier than I was a few days ago. I strongly believe that you should run this dehydrator empty for 24 hours before drying your first batch of food, and I wish that had been included in the instruction manual. My three star rating is for that, and the fact that the claim that you do not have to rotate the trays is dependent on what you are drying, and that the drying times are longer than stated. Having said that, it does work, and it's affordable.
on May 6, 2010
I am really enjoying learning to dehydrate foods and the results have been quite tasty. The square shape is a little more compact than the round versions. Lots of drying racks. The best features are fan and motor on the top so any drips are not on the motor compartment and the adjustable temperature controls for the food being processed. Only down side...no 'on/off' switch so you have to unplug when checking or the dehydrating is complete.
on March 30, 2009
This thing is awesome! Did jerky first, came out great and fast. Just got some fruits and can't wait to try them out. Love the fact I don't have to turn the tables so i can get things done outside the house without worring about coming home to turn them. The unit does get very warm so I would watch out for little ones when you have it on ( I have 2 small ones). Also it's not loud at all, so it doesn't get in the way of naps. One thing I would have to say I don't like is the fact i have to unplug the unit in order to turn it off when i want to add or take things out.A little inconvient. I still love it.
on October 2, 2009
I have had two round dehydrators prior to this purchase, one with a fan and one without. Neither one of these round and somewhat less expensive products match the Nesco FD-80 square shaped dehydrator for quality and effectiveness. I have only had the FD-80 for about a month, but I have dried beef jerky four or five times with very good results. The FD-80 is easy to use, dehydrates food quickly and without a hassle. The fan at the top distributes the warm air evenly and is relatively quiet; you end up with a good product without having to rearrange trays or meat. The thermostat at the top (exterior) is a real advantage, it is very easy to use and all the information is right there.

The round dehydrators I have had in the past were somewhat open at the bottom allowing spices and juices to leak on to the counter. The FD-80 has a collection tray at the bottom which catches bits and pieces and allows for easy clean-up. The trays are advertised to be dishwasher safe, however, based on previous experience with washing trays in the dishwasher I have elected to wash the trays the old fashioned way, in the sink.

As I indicated earlier, I have only had the FD-80 about a month so I don't know what I can expect for the long term but based on my limited experience with this dehydrator I have very high expectations.
on January 30, 2010
I've been using the dehydrator for about two years now and still love it! I bought 4 more trays (for a total of 8) and use it all the time! I make dog/cat treats and recently began making jerky to support my (human) low-carb diet.

I have nothing to compare this dehydrator to so I don't know whether it's better or worse than an Excalibur. For the price though this unit can't be beat!

The only negative about using this machine is that my energy bill goes up significantly on months that I use it. I presume this would happen with *any* dehydrator though.

If you're considering a dehydrator this unit is an excellent option.

***
I go through different "phases" in which I become interested in something and lose interest after a while.

I wanted to start making dehydrated dog treats and researched available machines. I was planning to buy an Excalibur, but ended up ordering this one as an "entry level" unit just to make sure that it won't become another passing fad. The hefty price tag of the Excalibur didn't lend itself to an experiment of my attention span. :-)

Well...I love this dehydrator! The square shape allows you to dry a lot of stuff, and the temperature control is wonderful. As other folks mentioned it doesn't come with an on/off switch but that's no biggie...just use a regular household lamp/appliance timer, which costs around $10.

I've been playing with the dehydrator and so far things have come out really good. I've made tons of treats for my dog (dehydrated salmon and burger treats) as well as for myself (sweet potatoes, yogurt, jerky, apples, oranges, etc.) and am having fun with it.

One thing to note is that this model comes with less accessories than the comparable FD-75, which is round. With the other model they include some of the fruit leather trays and screens.

I was torn about which model to buy and am happy that I picked the square one. It's easy to store and seems like an efficient use of space. If you'd like to get lots of "bang for your buck" though, the round one seems like a better value.

If you'd like to dabble in dehydrating you can't go wrong with this unit. I'm thrilled that I saved several hundred dollars but not giving into the Excalibur hype.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 6, 2011
I bought this item about 3 weeks ago. It stopped working yesterday. I am having to ship it back. It isn't a defect in the item, it's just not made for serious dehydrating. If you use it occasionally, then it will probably work for you.

Additionally:

~ The trays have large holes in them, so you'll need to purchase more clean screens if you are wanting to fill more than one tray (it comes with one clean screen) of small veggies or fruits. Everything I dried fell right through the holes to the bottom, or on top of the food under it. The clean screens don't quite go all the way to the end, so you find yourself scraping the edges to get the food out, but it usually just falls through. Takes a lot of time picking out pieces of food that have fallen through on the tray below, especially if you have different food on each tray.

NOTE: Screens and trays on the Nesco clean up very easily however.

~ You have to lift each tray to see the tray underneath, which means anything that is on a tray being lifted gets shifted and you have to rearrange everything once again. If you dehydrate often, then you may find this to be a big pain to have to put all the food back where it belongs after lifting the tray.

~ Finally, if you have several trays (you can purchase additional trays online), then there is a problem with everything getting done properly. You will find yourself shifting trays and food so everything will dry. Also, the food closest to the middle of each tray does not get done if you have more than a couple of trays going. The outer edges is the only thing that dries properly when you have multiple trays, sometimes even 2 trays you will notice this. And, the top gets done fast, while the rest is still moist and not even close.

Each time you have to mess with your trays, your temp drops and it delays it even further. You'll find yourself constantly messing with the food, shifting trays and pieces from the middle to the edge, which is a major hassle. I did hear this machine was good for jerky, but I did not try it. But, for larger loads of food, forget it. Way too time consuming.

The motor just isn't strong enough or situated to where you can use more than a couple of trays without having to go through all that mess. Unfortunately, I found this out after I already paid for additional trays.

Conclusion:

I DO NOT recommend it for anyone dehydrating a lot emergency food, for large families, or who simply dehydrates a lot like me. I ended up investing in a much better machine, and Amazon was really good about refunded me without any problems. I'm thankful for that.

Again, if you use it occasionally, or for small loads of one particular thing at a time, it'll probably last you and you'll be happy with it. I was happy at first when I started out with small loads of the same food. But, I pushed it too far when I wanted to use if for serious dehydrating..and it burned out the motor.

I'd save your money and just wait until you can afford a better machine if you're going to use it like me.

Good luck!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 26, 2014
Ours worked less than 30 days. The unit suddenly stopped working one day after initially turning on for about 2 minutes. The manufacturer's customer service department refused to replace it even though it obviously had to be defective to have stopped working so early after purchase. Amazon was great about handling the return and refunded our full purchase price. We are purchasing a different brand.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2008
I was so excited when I got this! I made my own marinade for jerky and prepped it a day ahead of time. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but it is probably one of the best beef jerky's I've ever tasted. And my husband loves it too. It is so easy. I've got fruits going in it now. The fruits took a bit to prepare, but they smell sooo good. I've been taking bits and pieces out, even though they are not done, and they are delicious! I would definitely buy this for a gift or for someone else.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I read many reviews of food dehydrators before making this purchase. I am glad I did because I am
very pleased with it's performance.
I made 5 trays of beef jerky and they dried a lot quicker than I expected. I have also tried dried
fresh oregano, basil, parsley, rosemary, and many veggies and fruits. They all dried quickly and
were perfect for storing.
There are 5 trays and the unit is square shaped which actually allows more space to dry your foods.
There are different settings for meats, herbs, and veggies, etc.
The heated air circulates around, under, and in-between all the spaces in the trays for quick results.
In the summer, I will use it on my back porch because it does produce a lot of heat.
I only wish it would have come with a mesh like liner for the trays because some of my spices/herbs
were shrinking so much that they fell through the open spaces on the trays and ended up on the
bottom of the unit.
They still dried nicely, but it was a little difficult to scoop them out and place them in jars.
I would recommend this Nesco FD-80 Square Shaped Dehydrator to anyone who wants a trusted dehydrator
and at a decent price.
on March 13, 2010
We got our Nesco FD-80 dehydrator about a month ago and have used it much more than I expected to. We've done jerkies, apples, bananas, pears, and zucchini so far. It has an adjustable heat setting up to 160 degrees and we've tested it with our infrared thermometer and it is accurate. It dries evenly on all parts of all racks, as long as the things you are drying are the same thickness.

My biggest concern was that it would be hard to clean, but I am very pleased. I like the square shape, motor at the top, drip tray on the bottom. The motor stays clean and everything else goes in the dishwasher! (Stack the trays flat rather than trying to stand them up.) It says not to use the drying cycle in the dishwasher - no problem. If you need to let pieces dry faster than air drying - just assemble the dehydrator and turn it on for 10 minutes. My husband was the one who wanted it and I was like - oh, one more gadget on the counter, but it has won me over. It makes great snacks without all the chemicals (look on the web for organic receipes) and the whole family can get in on using it. I look forward to summer dried tomatoes. Maybe for a higher price there are better units, but for us - the price and performance are top notch.