5.0 out of 5 stars just what I wanted
I basically got this for drying herbs. People said it was loud, so I was kind of hesitant of buying it, but I'm glad I did. It's not loud and dries my herbs in about an hour.......
Published on July 9, 2011 by Galeann

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but better to spend the extra $10 to get a better model
Published on October 30, 2011 by Zoetrope

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but better to spend the extra $10 to get a better model, October 30, 2011
This review is from: Nesco American Harvest FD-37 400 Watt Food Dehydrator (Kitchen)
I have had 6 different dehydrators over the last 20 years. This model (Nesco American Harvest 400 watt) works well, but if you are going to use it a lot I recommend spending a bit more money to get one of the other Nesco models. The fan on this model is fairly loud and after time the heat started melting the inner portions of the trays. I now have the square model from Nesco and it was worth the extra money. The trays have more surface area, the fan is much quieter, you can adjust the temperature and the heating unit doesn't go down the center of the trays so they don't get as hot and don't melt.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I wanted, July 9, 2011
Galeann (Salineville, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this now, its the greatest !!!!, June 28, 2011
SANDRA J BALKE (SHEFFIELD, PA, US) - See all my reviews
I love this product!
I bought this and the add-a-tray set for it, with or without the two extra trays within 12-15 hours I have dried fruit chips and great beef jerky.So far I've done 5 pounds of beef into jerky in one batch.I used a non-alcohol marinade of zesty italian dressing with added pepper, soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, and dried herbs on beef round and beef tip steak strips.I could have used far more pepper as I like zingy jerky, but even so the 5 pounds is going fast, it added up dried to enough jerky to fill half a gallon plastic zippy bag.For the fruits I used 1 TBSP Fruit Fresh to 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup water in a gallon plastic bag to pre-marinade the sliced fruit for 10 min. or less.I simply sliced bananas into chips and dropped in bag until I had finished 3-4 whole bananas then I placed each slice flat on trays till they were covered in 1 layer. I used the same recipe for every fruit. Blue berries I pre-treated by putting them in colander and dropping it into boiling water for 1-2 min. then ran under cold water to chill, I wished I had dropped them into ice water it would have worked better, or sliced the fat ones in half. they went into dehydrator for 15 hours but only the smaller ones really dried well, so I keep them stored in freezer til use to keep from spoilage, cutting the large ones in half they all would have dried well enough to be stored in bags or jars at room temp. The peaches and strawberries I cut into slices about 1/8-2/8ths inch thick dropped them into marinade bag and then onto trays 1 slice thick.I rotate trays at the 4 hr and 8 hr times so everything gets dried faster. I switch top trays to bottom and on up so botto tray becomes new top tray at 4 hrs. At 8 hr switch I consolidate the 4 driest trays down to 2 and put them on the bottom.I leave the base tray empty for a drip tray even tho you can use it for slices. I found that pre-oiling all the trays lightly with a mist or brushing of canola oil makes removing the dry fruits much easier and the light oil doesn't effect the final flavor at all. 2 large cans of pineapple wedges packed in its own juice from store using same marinade dried down in 12 hrs to 1/2 a plastic quart zippy bag and ran out the door attached to my Brother in Law as soon as it was bagged. I have already placed an order for peaches and pears by the bushel with my local fruit stand so I can dry them. 10 pounds of bananas have already gone with Hubby to work for break snacks instead of him hitting the candy machine 3 times a shift. Cleaning trays is fast and easy with a soft brush and soap and hot water, I don't have a dishwasher and I wouldn't trust the plastic trays in one except on top level without drying cycle.I have yet to find a dishwasher that does washing as well as I do by hand. I do put 1/4 cup bleach per full sink in my wash water for sanitizing items. Spraying the trays after washing with 1/2 solution of white vinegar and water then air drying them would do the same sanitizing that is so important in getting good dried products. I cover all the trays during drying with cloth to keep them from dust and flies between uses. WARNING: everything you make in this will fly out the door faster than any candy or store made jerky, so plan to make far more than you think you will need !!!!!

I most certainly would recomend this as a gift to anyone you know for holidays and birthdays !!!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead in 45 days, July 6, 2012
Bought this thing in May, used it 5 or 6 times over the course of a month. Tried to use it a week later and it ran for 20 minutes, shut off, and now it's fried and won't turn back on. Spend money on a better model, this thing is a peice of garbage and is not built to last. Also, after 30 days neither Amazon nor Nesco the manufacturer will do anything about it - wasted money down the drain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow=Really great, February 9, 2011
Hi Folks I rcently had bought the Ronco dehydrator and I liked it except it wound up overheating and melting the trays so I returned it and bought this Nesco unit. Well I'll say this - there is a world of difference in workmanship. This is just great. I just ordered the 2 tray expansion and the Nesco Jerky Gun . I would recommend this product because of the quality and many years of experience Nesco has of making Dehydrators.

3.0 out of 5 stars Undecided About This Dehydrator, September 11, 2011
E. M. Griffith "auntleesie" (Central Coast of California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
With the rising cost of food in general, and huge leaps in the price of dried fruits, I ordered the Nesco American Harvest FD-37 400 Watt Food Dehydrator to take advantage of in-season sales now on fruits for dried fruits later, at holiday baking time. I'm not entirely new to dehydrating fruits, as I've done it for years in a low oven on cookie sheets. This machine, I felt, would enable me to dry bigger batches.

Since I am new to using a dehydrator machine, I wasn't sure what to expect. I read the reviews here at Amazon and was hopeful. It's running on my kitchen counter right now (with a batch of sliced red plums), and I have to agree with reviewers who have complained about the noise level. It sounds almost identical to stove or bathroom exhaust fans. Not ear-drum splitting, yet loud enough. I'd also agree with those reviewers concerned by how hot the machine gets. It'd be worrying to allow it to run overnight while you're sleeping, because at least mine gets pretty toasty to the touch. Someone in my family turned it off in last night after I'd fallen asleep.

Overall, I'd say it's just okay. I can use it during the day since I work from home. Not sure If I'll return it. Others have said theirs isn't as loud, so maybe I just got a not-so-great one? The heat is more of a concern on a wooden, butcher block counter. Glad I didn't order the 700 Watt one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Much better than some give it credit for, May 25, 2012
I just received my dehydrator and dried my first batch of fruits. I have to say a lot of the reviews are too critical or even wrong. Is it a little noisy? Yea, about the same noise you'd get from a box fan, but its a food dehydrator not a sleep machine, put it in another room and its fine. Does it get a little warm? Yea, but again, its a food dehydrator, not a refrigerator. Does it take too long to dry foods? Absolutely NOT. I was expecting it to take forever from the reviews I read and the length of time given in the manual but it dried my mangoes and kiwis more than twice as fast as it said. I left it on over night (11 hours) as the manual said it would take 10-18 for my fruits and people complained it takes too long but it didn't take nearly as long! After 5 hours the fruit was almost completely dry, but I left it on anyway to see what would happen. Now I have mango chips instead of dried mango, this thing dries fast! It's simple to use and great for the price.

***UPDATE*****
I had to come back and update my review after my dehydrator broke. Randomly while drying some fruit leather it just went kaputt with no warning. I had been using it maybe 3 days a week for no more than 12 hours each time for just 1 week and now it's dead! Bad craftsmanship. Don't get it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke on first use, July 3, 2012
I bought this dehydrator as a gift. It sat unused for the past few months. When my girlfriend finally tried to make jerky with it today, it stopped working after about 3 hours of use. The fan stopped spinning, it started making crazy noises and overheating. You could smell something (not food) burning inside of it. Unfortunately the return window has already expired too. If you buy one, test it out before the return window expires!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awesome.....at first then crap, November 4, 2012
I got this in august and started using it on bananas and apples. I loved it. But like everything built now it did not last. Nov 4 nnot even 3 months and it died. Motor on fan ois dead. I guess you are not really suppise to use electronics anymore longer than 3 months.

Waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars was nice while it worked, but, it died after just 3 uses., February 12, 2012
I was so excited when I first got this dehydrator. The first batch of jerkey turned out awesome, so did the second and the third, but when I tried to run another batch through, the darn thing just sputtered and died. Leaving me with a whole batch of raw jerkey meat and no way to dehydrate it. I only did one batch a week, so it wasn't like I had it running continuously for days at a time. I'm so disapointed. I hope they honnor their return policy.

Adendum: I was just told that the return policy ran out yesterday. I bought this on Jan 9 2012 (recieved it on the 13th) and the return policy expired on Feb 11 2012. I should have guessed as much!

Rate and Discover Movies