on February 13, 2011
I agree with the very thorough and very positive reviews above. So I won't re-plow the same ground that they did. However, I will just add a few additional thoughts that may be helpful. I have 3 pressure cookers, 2 Kuhn Rikon stovetop models in different sizes and this Nesco. They all have their advantages and disadvantages and I use them all. The Nesco is not the best suited for some applications (like making very large batches of soup) BUT the Nesco has three big advantages that the MUCH more expensive Kuhn Rikons don't have.

1. The cooking pot has a non-stick surface.

2. Unlike a stovetop cooker, you do not need to stay in the kitchen to monitor it. (Great time saver for busy folks who are multi-tasking)

3. As stated in the product description, it has an automatic warming feature so if your cooking cycle ends and you are not there to turn it off, it will just keep it warm for you.

I have used mine for over a year and I love it! I consider it a good buy and worth every penny of the $119 I paid for mine. For the current price of $74, it is a steal! Don't wait! Buy it and you will be glad you did.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2010
11-03-10 - Not all electric pressure cookers are created equal!

Before purchasing this item, I researched several models. Being that most recipes are written for pressure cookers reaching 15 psi, the pressue level the cooker could attain was critical. I contacted Nesco's customer service (1-800-288-4545) to MAKE SURE this model reaches 15psi. On the low side, they advised the cooker reaches 5 psi (for veggies, custards, etc).

During my research, it was evident the disappointment people showed in other models was likely due to their cooker only coming up to 9 to 11psi on the high side, creating a MAJOR problem with food being undercooked and requiring more time. Thankfully, recipes written for a stovetop model should do great in this cooker without having to fiddle with and refigure cooking times because of insufficient pressure.

Another thing I really like about this cooker is the fact it doesn't have "pre-set programs" you can't override. I may not want it to cook a full 30 minutes. I may only want to cook 20 or 25 and then add veggies and cook another 2 or 3 minutes - it can be programmed according to YOUR specifications - not that of some engineer. YOU program the cooker for exactly how many minutes YOU want.

The final factor for me was quality and price. I have a NESCO Roaster and the quality is there, so I don't worry about buying NESCO products. Will post again when this item arrives and I have a chance to work with it. I posted 4 stars for the unit being engineered for the correct psi and freedom from pre-set programs.

UPDATE: 12-20-10 Have upgraded review to 5 stars. (I was sent the new model #PC6-25P - it has a removable power cord which is great for storage.)

Absolutely no regrets with this purchase. This cooker is everything I had hoped it would be and I use it A LOT. Any recipe written for a stovetop pc can be prepared AS WRITTEN in this unit without a problem. In addition to the pressure cooking, it does a fantastic job browning meats. I use it when browning rather than a skillet because it does such a good, even job - not to mention it prevents cleaning up splatters all over the stove. It is the easiest pot I own to clean up. Would definitely purchase again without hesitation.
5757 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 18, 2012
This unit performed reasonably well for a while. It pressure cooked things as described. However, after maybe 6 uses it lost power in the middle of a cooking cycle. There was no heat and nothing on the LED display. There had been no spillage or any other user error. I tried again later with different quantities of food or water and never got it to turn on at all. Ok, either a faulty or poorly designed unit.

Contacted the company to claim a warranty issue. After giving me the runaround they agreed for me to ship it to them on my dime and they would repair it. It's a moderately heavy item but I packed it well and paid to ship it to them. It was a noticeable amount of trouble and expense, but it was cheaper than buying a replacement. Then they had a snarky lady call me up and say that in transit something got dented (which is a little hard to imagine considering the build of the unit and my packing job). Although it's only a cosmetic issue (if it's an issue at all) it technically voids the warranty, so they refused to repair it or take further action, including send it back to me. To this day I'm not actually sure that it even received a dent. I just have to take their word for it. It appears to be a way for them to technically have a warranty without actually honoring it. I suspect they always open packages and then look for any possible way to avoid honoring the warranty.

Clearly the company does not care about its customers or reputation, and my experience also indicates that their product is shoddy. I would encourage anyone considering this product to avoid it, and indeed you may wish to avoid Nesco altogether. Buying from them is quite a risk. If it stops working, you lose and don't really have any recourse. If you don't take my advice and it breaks and it hasn't been very long, be sure to return it to Amazon, not the manufacturer. They will treat you poorly, make you pay shipping, and then not repair/replace the unit.

===================== UPDATE 18 MONTHS LATER ============================

This review has rightly been a blight on Nesco for 18 months now and more than one person has contacted them about it. It's gotten a lot of "helpful" votes because this review illustrates a super-common problem with the item and an egregious problem with Nesco's customer service. If you read the comments to this review you will see some of the saga. In short, Nesco customer service was snippy to the point of unprofessional with me and others and refused to do anything about it or admit fault. Finally an amazon customer bypassed customer service and contacted the head of PR. That person responded that this was an error in policy and he was going to make sure customer service knows the right policy as well as sending me a new pressure cooker. Well, today it arrived. If he did that, there's a decent chance he also changed the way Nesco customer services handles its customers more generally. I hope so. You can make your own judgment about whether they deserve another shot. They made things more-or-less right with me (after 18 months with no pressure cooker) if you ignore shipping costs that I had to pay. The response from the PR guy was posted in a comment but has been deleted by Amazon. I'll let you decide whether that was right/ethical.

I do have to point out that the replacement they sent me was double boxed and well-packed, but has a noticeable dent on the side. It's a refurbished unit. I don't mind the dent. I just find it ironic since the reason they wouldn't originally honor my warranty was that mine supposedly had a dent in it. Makes me wonder if they refused to return mine, refurbished it, and sent it to someone else. I shouldn't be so cynical, I guess. For all I know they kept my original pressure cooker this whole time and returned the actual unit I sent them.

Whatever the current situation with customer service, this unit has a fatal flaw that anyone buying should know about. It affected me and if you look at the 1 and 2 star reviews you will see that they are all exactly the same situation: There is a thermal fuse down by the power supply. At 128 degrees Celsius it blows and the unit will no longer power on. And it's a one-shot deal. The fuse must be replaced but to do so requires disassembling the bottom of the unit and replacing the fuse, which is inline with the power cord. This is apparently easy but hard enough that it's not considered customer serviceable. By the way the fuse can be purchased on Amazon for just over one dollar. Just search for "128 degree thermal fuse."

I can easily imagine that this fuse was forced on Nesco by government regulators, so perhaps Nesco isn't to blame. But it is a fact that in many, many cases this fuse will blow during normal operations and put the user in a tough situation. I fully expect that mine will blow again. When it does, I'm not going to pay to ship it back to Nesco nor deal with their customer service representative. I'm going to take the unit apart and replace the fuse myself. Despite the fact that it eventually kind of worked out for me, the manufacturer warranty isn't worth much. You can decide what to do if/when it happens to you.

===================== UPDATE A FEW DAYS AFTER THE REPLACEMENT ARRIVED ============================

I was quite relieved to have a replacement for my non-functioning unit. The replacement successfully pressure cooked two artichokes. Well, kind of. It shut off a little before finishing. And then never turned on again. Nothing happens when you plug it in anymore. Same problem as it and other units of this model have had in the past. This device is a lemon if there ever was one--there was plenty but not too much water and everything else was fine too. There's no way I would deal with customer service again and my wife insists that I just throw it out. She just wants her kitchen space back. In her words "that company is dead to me." Well spoken, but I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel until I try replacing the thermal fuse. At this point it's a race to see which happens first: I get around to trying to fix it or she throws it out when I'm not paying attention. I'll let you know if I am able to successfully fix it.

In summary, if you want a pressure cooker I'd suggest getting the old-fashioned kind that just work on the stove. The electrical ones are junk, especially this brand/model.
review image
4242 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 1, 2012
I got this for my wife last Christmas (2011) and despite initial skepticism, she now loves it and uses it several times a week... until it died a few weeks ago. In the middle of cooking, the display just went dead and after that, no sign of life.

We called Nesco and they gave us an RMA, but after going back and looking at a number of 'dead unit' reviews was unsure I even wanted to spend $20-30 on shipping the thing back to them -- especially with only a few months left on warranty. The trouble is, the Cuisinart and Fagor units seem to have the same sort of complaints.

I'm an electrical engineer and decided to have a quick look inside with a volt meter before sending it out to see if it was something dumb and repairable -- it was.

It turns out the problem is a temperature cutoff device that goes inline with the red AC power wire (inside a piece of clear silicone tubing near the bottom of the unit). It's a cheap one-shot device (Microtemp G4A01 with Tf=128C), meaning if it goes over temperature just once it's dead forever.

I bypassed the sensor just to see if the unit would come up and it did (don't operate it this way without replacing the sensor)! Equally amazing, I was able to find a replacement sensor on Amazon for $1.25 plus shipping:

Thermal fuse 128 degrees celsius.

If you have a stone dead unit like this, are out of warranty and know someone who is handy with electrical wiring this might help you. I would recommend a crimp-type connection rather than soldering, due to the heat (would melt the solder). Amazon sells a crimp connection kit as well that would do the job:

Neiko 175 Pieces Solderless Wire Terminal & Connection with Wire Stripper Crimper Tool

It's a shame that a company lets a $1 part ruin their customers' satisfaction on an otherwise excellent product. OTOH, I'm glad it was something cheap and simple to fix.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 17, 2011
Thank you so much for underpromising and over-delivering! We received this product well in advance of the anticipated deliver date (and before X-Mas!). This pressure cooker is amazing! The only suggestion is that it be made available with a basket instead of a rack. The rack allows vegetables to fall through. We are using a basket from our 'old' pressure cooker and it does great! My wife has used pressure cookers for over 20 years and is extremely satisfied with the quality of the cooked food and programming options (especially the warming feature). I am able to use this cooker as well! It's that easy...thank you Nesco. We fully recommend this pressure cooker. As mentioned, please consider marketing it with a basket instead of a rack.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 6, 2011
I had the previous model of this pressure cooker which I loved. If recently died and would cost $65 to fix. I figured I'd spend the $10 additional for a new unit. In comparison to the previous model, this feels cheap. The gasket is thin and flimsy, the pressure release knob feels like it's not made for this unit, and the interior bowl is thin and cheap. Hopefully it works as well, but I'm really not impressed with the new unit to date.

Update - 2 weeks old and the pressure function worked erratically or not at all. Customer service at Nesco sugggested I open it up and make sure the wiring was attached securely - "they've been having some problems" they said. I said, no it should work for more than 2 weeks without me having to repair it myself. They said they would be happy to send me a shippung label so they could repair it. I informed them I wanted it replaced, not repaired. They stood behind their warranty claiming it was their choice, regardless of the fact that it died after 2 uses within 2 weeks. I left a message for the customer service supervisor who refused to discuss it with me, and declined to return my call to justify their position. If I could give 0 stars, I would.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 26, 2011
I love pressure cooking and this machine is awesome. After using one of the best stovetop pressure cooker in the market, I am sold on the Nesco electric pressure cooker. In my opinion, the vessel is underrated. It comes to pressure very quickly, cooks at 15 PSI, so I don't have to adjust the cooking time on most recipes due to a lower PSI. I don't have to babysit it like my stovetop cooker. It quickly comes to pressure, stabilizes, and operates quietly. Yes, when it's coming up to pressure, you will hear a little hissing for a few seconds, like most pressure cookers, but then it cooks almost soundless. After the cooking time is up, it beeps, and it automatically switches to "warm." Therefore, I don't have to worry about stepping away even after the cooking time is up. Cleanup is a breeze since the insert is nonstick.

The browning feature comes in very handy to infuse a lot of flavor in your dishes, and food comes out with a nice color (unlike steaming where food comes out too colorless in in my opinion). I have made chicken, beef (Flank steak), country style ribs, Spanish Arroz con Pollo (chicken and rice). split pea and chicken noodle soup (wide egg noodles), goat, shrimps, salmon, Spanish flan, cheesecake, banana bread (slow cooker mode). Everything has come out scrumptious. My friends and family are teasing me about when my restaurant is going to open (i wish). This appliance does take up counter space, but much less than the equivalent 6-quart pressure cookers in the market. Do your research before you make a decision, but I am very happy with this purchase. I wish that I had known more about the modern electric pressure cookers sooner. I plan to purchase a few to give away as gifts for upcoming celebrations and holidays.

If you are new to pressure cooking or simply want some very tasty recipes, I would recommend Bob Warden's "Slow Food Fast;" Amazon sells it for cheaper than most vendors.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 7, 2011
I finally caved-in and after about 4 months of searches,1000's of read reviews and comparisons, I purchased the Nesco PC. Well, I admit, I was as acared as can be about even taking it out of the box! I didn't know where to begin, would it even turn on? Make pressure? Leak? Would it fail? Instant return? Did I make a mistake? Oh, wait, none of that happened! I have been cooking away for one week now,not putting it away yet from my countertop! I am having such a good time it's crazy! My fist meal was Short Ribs in Wine. What? Who makes that on a Monday night? I DID! Never had them in my life, always wanted them and OMG are they to die for! Since then, it's been Creamy Chicken Soup w/Gnocchi Dumplings, Honey Baked Beans, Potato Salad(yep!)and let's see, oh yeah, GUMBO! Yep, all from Bob Warden's book, "Slow Food Fast". Love that too! I am really sorry for anyone who has had a problem, and I pray mine continues on the path it's going, 'cause my family is amazed that we are NOT eating at 8:00 every night anymore, and still it's outrageously delicious food! By the way, I did not feel that the insert was cheap-feeling at all. I actually thought it had some nice weight to it. I also hope everyone read their instruction manual 1000x like I did. Since I'm a born chicken, I figured I'd rather read the manual too much than not enough. Nothing can go in a dishwasher. So- if your insert is peeling, and you've put it in the dishwasher- shame on you! Hand wash only! I also registered it immediately after opening. Helps to let customer service know you did your part. You can put more responsibility on them that way! I hope you will consider this product based on those of us who have sweated and read all of the countless reviews and such. I am exhausted, and now, I shall begin a pot of Minsetrone with tortelline! Ciao!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 1, 2012
Just called customer service. The silver lid pressure cooker only goes up to 10psi on high. She said that only The first model with a black lid went up to 15psi. Hope this helps.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 7, 2012
The first time I turned this appliance on it only worked for ten minutes and quit. It's dead. Nothing. Nesco Customer Service said to ship it to them (at my expense) for repair. Are you kidding me?? I anticipated potential problems at some point based on reviews I've read, but I didn't expect it to die after ten minutes of use!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...