Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

on July 17, 2001
I have three Nespresso machines, including this one. My comments concern the Nespresso system rather than any particular machine, but I can't see paying [price] for this D150 when for only [price] you can get the D300.
The idea of the capsules rather than using coffee beans requires some trade offs, but has lots of huge advantages. The capsules are super convenient, fast, clean and neat, attractive, and allow you to easily serve a variety of coffee blends (decaf, latin american, african, pure arabica, etc, which is fun). A big advantage is that they stay fresh for months at a time, so you can always have them on hand when you need them.
Comparing the Nespresso system with the conventional system shows the value of convenience. Conventional machine: you have to have fresh beans, you have to have an expensive burr grinder (more counter space, more to clean, more to break down), you have to get the fineness of the grind correct, you have to measure the ground coffee accurately, you have to tamp the coffee in the holder correctly, you have to pour the correct amount of water through. This requires a large amount of time, effort, expirementation, patience, and experience. Serving a party of 10 people like this could easily take you an hour, and you are making a lot of noise and not enjoying the party, and making a big mess to clean up later.
A conventional machine could never be used in your office or company kitchen, but a Nespresso machine works out very nicely in that situation.
On the downside, 45 cents per shot of espresso is a little expensive compared to doing it with beans. You are limited to the Nespresso capsules, nothing else will come close to working. This means you can't try out the interesting jars of beans at your local coffee shop. There may come a day when the capsules are not available, but I don't see that happening.
The big downside is the quality of the espresso produced by the capsules, and therein is my main gripe. They list some 10 varietys, and I don't like any of them. Most of them include some robusta coffee beans in the blend. That's unusual because gourmet coffee is 100% arabica, and my opinion is the robusta is a problem. I have to wonder if Nespresso is trying to cut costs in this most critical aspect of an otherwise first-rate system. However, at Christmas time Nespresso releases a "special blend" for a limited time. This is usually 100% arabica. In 1998 and 1999, the special blend was very good. In 2000 it was bad but then they released another one in June 2001 that was very good.
The final alternative is the "super-automatic" style machine, that with a single button push automatically grinds the beans, measures, tamps, pours the espresso, and dumps out the spent grounds. But you would still have to have fresh beans.
on March 14, 2001
I first tried the espresso from this machine at a friend's house. The espresso was hot and had a wonderful crema and it was ready in less than a minute. I have owned less expensive machines and stovetop models but they never came out hot enough or with enough crema (if any). I received my machine and within minutes I was brewing my first cup. The cartridge system offers no coffee ground mess of the traditional machines. My wife enjoyed a hot cup of tea this morning from the steamer/hot water spout which produced steaming hot water in less than a minute. The only downside is that you have to order your coffee blends from the company but the up side is that the selection is excellent and the price is about $.45 a cup (less than any resturant or Starbucks). They ship your order by 2 day UPS and if you order from them online there is free shipping (minimum of 100 cartridges). There is a nice bonus with your first order, but I won't spoil the surprise. Buy this machine and you won't be sorry.
on March 16, 2004
I agree with the gripe of some of the other reviewers: relying on the capsules only takes away some of the fun of being able to try different coffees. And the ones that use Robusta are a problem. However, two of the capsules, Arpeggio and Livanto, use 100% arabica beans, and, Arpeggio especially, are truly wonderful.
I have trouble now enjoying espresso anywhere in town; only a couple of extremely expensive restaurants serve Illy or something of the sort that is consistently better than my nespresso machine. Everything from Starbucks on down just doesn't seem as good. Even some traditionally great coffees like Lavazza seem mediocre by comparison.
The D150 was possibly the most rewarding investment I've made, and for 200 dollars is certainly worth the cost.
on October 10, 2006
I've had this machine for 3 weeks and am very pleased. I have not stepped foot in Starbucks since it arrived! Very easy to use and the selection of coffee sent with the machine was an added bonus (along with 2 cups and saucers). After trying all the different pods, I placed a coffee order from Nespresso and my order arrived in two days - very quick - especially since I am in California and Nespresso ships from Florida.

Tip: I like my coffee very hot, so I found that filling my cup with water and then placing it in the Microwave for a couple of minutes while preparing the coffee and steaming the milk produces a perfectly hot cup of coffee.

Another Tip: Steaming the milk does take practice - it took me about 8 tries to get used to using the steamer and now I can get just the right amount of froth I like.
on January 9, 2007
I purchased the Nespresso D150 a couple of months ago to keep in my office. The capsule system is very convenient and easy to clean. I really enjoy the espresso it produces, particularly the Arpeggio and Ristretto varieties. It is far easier to use and clean than the non-capsule machine I used to use. A few pointers if you choose to buy this product: 1) warm your cup before making the espresso by filling it with water from the hot water/steam arm; 2) After making as espresso, dump out the capsule from the holder , replace the holder in the machine, and rinse for a couple of seconds by turning the lever to the coffee icon.

I have only two very minor complaints: 1) the cup warmer on top does not sufficiently warm the cups, which can be addressed by my first pointer. 2) The drip tray is not terribly deep and can spill as I try to carry it to the bathroom to empty it. Otherwise, I have thoroughly enjoyed the machine.
on August 29, 2001
This machine is not only the easiest to use but there is no mess involved. The coffee discs come in different coffee strengths and are available on line with no charges for shipping. When you first place your order, a taster's display box is given for free. Decaf is also available in two different flavors. We have bought several other machines. This is the BEST! No need to go to those fancy restaurants anymore to get good espresso. The milk frother is also a great and easy feature on this machine.
on May 31, 2001
I received my Nespresso machine 24 hours after I ordered. I have had one espresso machine previously. This Nespresso machine is far superior. I love the taste of the coffee, the easy clean up, the ease of frothing the milk. I would recommend this machine. Worth every penny.
UPDATE 3/21/2013. Still using this machine - still loving it. Way to go Nespresso!!
on April 5, 2012
I purchased this machine and used it from 2004-2012 without a flaw. And I must admit I never even descaled it. It was a fabulous espresso maker and I loved the manual operation so I could pull extra long shots when I wanted to. 8 years later, and its now leaking, but my engineer hubby is going to take it apart to see if he can fix it. Nespresso will fix for $99, but if the hubby can't do it I think I'll happily take Nespresso's deal of $50 off any of their new machines instead. One of the best kitchen appliance buys ever! And a huge savings over pricey coffee shops with a fabulous quality at home.
on May 6, 2005
I have three Nespresso machines, including this one. My comments concern the Nespresso system rather than any particular machine, but I can't see paying the money for this D150 when for only a little more you can get the D300.

The idea of the capsules rather than using coffee beans requires some trade offs, but has lots of huge advantages. The capsules are super convenient, fast, clean and neat, attractive, and allow you to easily serve a variety of coffee blends (decaf, Latin American, African, pure Arabica, etc, which is fun). A big advantage is that they stay fresh for months at a time, so you can always have them on hand when you need them.

Comparing the Nespresso system with the conventional system shows the value of convenience. Conventional machine: you have to have fresh beans, you have to have an expensive burr grinder (more counter space, more to clean, more to break down), you have to get the fineness of the grind correct, you have to measure the ground coffee accurately, you have to tamp the coffee in the holder correctly, you have to pour the correct amount of water through. This requires a large amount of time, effort, experimentation, patience, and experience. Serving a party of 10 people like this could easily take you an hour, and you are making a lot of noise and not enjoying the party, and making a big mess to clean up later.

On the downside, 45 cents or more (for special editions) per shot of espresso is a little expensive compared to doing it with beans. You are limited to the Nespresso capsules, nothing else will come close to working. This means you can't try out the interesting jars of beans at your local coffee shop. There may come a day when the capsules are not available, but I don't see that happening.

The big downside is the quality of the espresso produced by the capsules, and therein is my main gripe. After many years they have recently expanded their offerings from 10 varieties or 15 or so. I haven't tried all the new ones, but I didn't really like any of the old ones. Most of them include some Robusta coffee beans in the blend. That's unusual because gourmet coffee is 100% Arabica, and my opinion is the Robusta is a problem. I have to wonder if Nespresso is trying to cut costs in this most critical aspect of an otherwise first-rate system. However, once or twice a year Nespresso releases a "special blend" for a limited time. This is usually 100% Arabica. In 1998 and 1999, the special blend was very good. In 2000 it was bad but then they released another one in June 2001 that was very good. They have a new, more expensive line of coffees that I haven't yet explored.

The final alternative is the "super-automatic" style machine, that with a single button push automatically grinds the beans, measures, tamps, pours the espresso, and dumps out the spent grounds. That's great but it requires fresh beans and that's a problem for me. I think maybe a food vacuum sealer might solve that problem.

One final comment: Don't fool yourself into thinking that a machine at home, no matter how nice, is going to save you money at Starbucks. Nothing can replace that fad inducing experience.
on October 14, 2000
I first tried this product at a family member's house and thought it was great! I found it simple to use; difficult to mess it up. It is much more cost effective than stopping for coffee in the morning, and is conveniently located in your kitchen so that you can have espresso any time. I encourage anyone that is a frequent espresso or actually any kind coffee drinker to purchase this item. May I also ad that it is extremely easy to clean. So, if you are not into a high maintenance item this is a dream come true. You just put in a capsule of whatever flavor espresso you want and then throw away the empty capsule. Enjoy!

See 1 answered question