Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Wi-Fi Range Extender worked out great for me as I knew what to expect. I deal with these types of devices at work and I have reasonably good knowledge in networking. But for the benefit of others let me share how to make this work painlessly if your other router at home does not have WPS button.

Firstly, connect the Wi-Fi range extender and your laptop with the included ETHERNET cable. The router before initial setup has it's own DHCP server which will give your laptop an IP address in the 192.168.1.xx subnet. Now as soon as you fire up your browser it will present itself with a login screen. In my observation the Wi-Fi Range extender had an default IP address of 192.168.1.230 The default Login name is "admin" and password is "password" (Please Ignore the quotes when you type that into the login screen).

The GUI based screens will guide you thru' the process of setting the Wi-Fi extender on your network. It will search your current Wi-Fi networks in your area and obviously you need to choose your "own" Wi-Fi network you want to extend the range. Once the security credentials and SSID of your existing router is supplied by manually entering this into the GUI screens the Wi-Fi range extender setup is complete and it will reboot.

From now on(Important), the Wi-Fi Range extender will work as a "client" (Wirelessly) to your existing Wi-Fi network and will also serve any other devices that come in the range of the router with a stronger signal but will give out DHCP leases based on the same IP subnet of the existing router in your home - Make sense?

TIPS:
1. Place this Wi-Fi Range extender in such a place that it still has good signal from your existing Wi-Fi Router.
2. You can tweak your existing router's Wi-Fi signal output and actually lowering the signal output and using this to extend it further has better throughput results as this can easily overpower your existing signal.
3. Use Wi-Fi Analyzer for Android or inSSIDer application for your PC to find out more about your network signal strength before and after adding this Wi-Fi range extender to your home.
4. Once you have configured this Wi-Fi Range extender it remembers it permanently until you reset it. Which means you can switch it off and use it only when you want the range to be extended where needed - Super nice!

PROS:
[+] Excellent hardware build quality you expect from WD
[+] Consumes very little power and stays cool as the Wi-Fi Enclosure is well ventilated no fan no noise.
[+] Super easy to setup if you have WPS button on your existing network and also allows manual configuration.
[+] Puts out strong signal around the house and extremely portable to extend the range of your existing Wi-Fi network.
[+] Signal strength LEDs can be turned off and the power LED and Wi-Fi Signal LEDs are dim enough to avoid glare.
[+] It assumes the same SSID and SSID can be hidden and clones the same Wi-Fi security protocols of the existing Wi-Fi network.
[+] Can also work as a regular "Access point" (Need Ethernet cable to your router and needs a "Mode" change from GUI)

CONS:
[-] Documentation is weak and for non-networking people can be a nightmare
[-] Works in 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz bands but not simultaneously
[-] There are no advanced fine tuning on the Wi-Fi signal it produces, It decides the channel and signal output automatically

WD venture into networking looks promising with this new Wi-Fi Range Extender. It is a solid buy for people who have been struggling with poor Wi-Fi range in their house and this tiny Wi-Fi Range extender is an excellent product.

Full Four stars from me.

Cheers!
55 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My garage has a heated room over it but my Wi-Fi didn't make it there without this range extender. I set this up manually because my router doesn't have a WPS button. Basically, you connect the include RJ45 cable to you PC. If your SSID is hidden (like mine is), you type that in as well as the password. The extender then gets an IP address from the router and you can disconnect the cable permanently.

At this point, I put the range extender as close to my garage as possible. I took my laptop out to the garage and I now have an excellent WiFi connection.

The documentation is virtually non-existant. I've set these types of devices up numerous times so I knew what to expect. If you haven't done this before, just get the SSID, password and encryption type (WEP for me) for your router and connect it with the wire to your PC to configure it.

This is a decent device for the cost albeit made in China. The documentation could be better however.
VINE VOICEon March 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm a geek. Setup was easy. I'd suggest finding a geek because the documentation is weak. I installed it using WPS and the manual geek way. WPS was very simple but if you can't do it that way because your router doesn't have a WPS button, borrow a geek or go here for the manual: [...] . Installing it without the WPS button was non-trivial. I was lucky enough to have multiple laptops because when I tried to find it on my MacAir I had no luck. You will see the device on this IP 192.168.1.230 and access it with user: admin and pass: password.

I must admit I didn't read the marketing page close enough. (My bad, not the vendor's fault) I expected it to work on 2.4 and 5 GHz simultaneously and it doesn't. For my use this would have been handy but it's not a big deal for most people. The distance it retransmitted the signal was very good. I live in a pasture and it had great distance. In the direction where there is only one wall between the WD and outside I hit 200 feet watching a Netflix movie on my Mac Air. As you go through walls expect to drop at 25-50 feet. If you have to go through a bathroom or kitchen wall it's worse. But this is because of the frequency of Wi-Fi. WD can't do anything about that. The signal strength LED's are handy for positioning the unit.

Geek suggestions: Make sure you turn up your security on your wireless network before you install this. And make sure your wireless network is working well before adding this device. If you are working near your router and your signal drops out on occasion you probably have some sort of interference. Try adjusting the channels to grab a different frequency on your router. You can also unplug all your electronic devices and power them back on one at a time. And I'll throw this out there...I just helped a friend of mine. He had is DSL modem stacked ON TOP of his wireless router. Guess what...that's going to hurt the signal strength of the wireless router. So make sure there are no electronics blocking your router or this extender.
55 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 19, 2014
Very attractive, great price, and it does what it says it will do. I think all told my signal about doubled in strength. HOWEVER, the biggest downside for me was when I upgraded to 802.11AC. I could no longer use it because it doesn't support it. I would probably not have gone to 802.11ac had I known the speeds are figments of someones imagination and someone said "we can do this" (on paper) because no ISP offers anywhere near the speeds 802.11ac is supposed to offer.

So---if you have a large house, or a printer or some other device that cannot stay connected to your network, this is probably one of several ways to fix it. If you have a problem where part of your house (or building, office etc) has little or not wifi and other parts do, this will probably NOT help you. There are some cases where you need a wireless access point or a repeater kind of thing (another router connected to your main router) and other cases where you need a little more signal. That is what this is for.

Its very easy to install, you basically plug it in and connect the cable, run through the setup routine (which basically is your routers ssid and password), then you can unplug the cable. From there it takes over with no connection except power. It receives the signal from the router (once you tell it which one to receive) and amplifies it. Like all things in life, nothing is free. The price for the stronger signal is a decrease in performance. Thats why this is not practical for all situations.

I would highly suggest this for situations like mine as I mentioned, a printer in opposite side of house that doesn't always stay connected. Its a wireless printer and with this its always on now. It solved my problem.

The band 2.4 or 5 has to be selected manually. Thats ok because on the router you have to logon to one or the other, it doesn't randomly choose. In my situation we use the 5 for our own wifi and the 2.4 is what is amplified for the printer. We could use 2.4 too but its slower than 5ghz because that is 802.11ac. Also, be sure to download a free wifi analyzer for your mac or android. Then use it to determine not only the best place to put this, and to determine how much gain you get once installed.

All in all, its easy to install---

INSTALL

1- Remove from box, find suitable location anywhere your wifi reaches.
2- Plug in cat 5 network cable to device and to your laptop.
3- Run install, which will setup your router ssid and password into the device.
4- unplug cat 5
5- Use Wifi analyzer (you download this) to determine what/where best signal is in
room or location you are going to install this.
6- finished. --(leave it plugged into wall obviously).
7- Use wifi analyzer again, compare PRE- to POST- installation.

GOOD:

1- inexpensive when compared to wireless access points
2- easy to install
3- works well
4- Switch must be used to select 2.4 and 5 GHZ band
5- Small, no obnoxious flashing lights or noises
6- no cables or wires required -except for power (from wall) includes all ac adapters etc

BAD:

1- the cost of higher signal strength is decrease in performance
2- no 802.11AC support (higher speeds, latest technology)
3- Switch must be used to select 2.4 or 5 GHZ band.

Notice the switch selection for 2.4 or 5 is listed in good and bad. That one depends on your situation because it can be good or bad depending on how you use it. The router as mentioned, usually broadcasts both frequencies and you can logon to either. With this you must choose by manually selecting.

I hope this helps. Its good for the right situation, and easy to install. Doesn't cost a fortune. Good luck!
VINE VOICEon April 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the third router extender I have tried. I've also tried the Linksys RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender and the Belkin N300 Dual Band Wireless N Range Extender. The Belkin did not work at all, and had the worst set-up directions of the three. The Linksys set up basically easily with a disk, and gave me two bars of reception in the problem room upstairs, where I needed an extension. (Actually, I put any extension in a hallway outlet, because no extension will work when pluged into an outlet in the room.) This WD extender was the absolute easiest to set up--just by pushing a button, and gives me four bars of reception in the problem room. That's twice as much as the Linksys, and I am impressed with its performance and its very easy set-up.

The only drawback I have discovered is the WD won't work with my TP-LINK TL-WDN3200 Dual Band Wireless N600 USB Adapter, 2.4GHz 300Mbps/5Ghz 300Mbps, WPS Button, 802.1a/b/g/n, WEP, WPA/WPA2. Used together, I keep losing my connection to my network. This doesn't happen with the Linksys. I don't need to use the TP-Link adapter, unless I want to since my laptop wireless card still works, so I'll be using the WD when not using the adapter, since four bars is the best signal strength I've ever had in the upstairs room.
on February 21, 2014
I remove it from the box and plugged it in, pushed WPS button and restarted my wireless cable router, they found each other..the only problem was that the range extender has no wps protection. I plugged the WD into my Ethernet port on my computer and turned off the wireless to the computer. The WD launched a website that asked for the exact SSID that I wished to use with it, I selected mine from the list, then it asked for my password (the one to my Time Warner wireless cable router) once I placed it in it auto connected and I had WPS protecrtion..it then sent me to another website to register and check the functioning, there one needs a user ID and Password ..user id is ADMIN..the password is PASSWORD..there one can register the product, check its function and do other things to the WD range extender..I now have it out in the garage and it cover all the back yard with 4+ bars...
on August 27, 2013
This product again reconfirmed my thought that WD Engineers didn't write the instruction for customers who didn't have a lot of experience with wireless technologies. They wrote it for technically advanced users like ... engineers. I hope WD Management team will improve this as WD seems to have good products that frustrate ordinary customers. I would give it 4 stars on technical merit and 2 on users friendliness. Hence 3 stars on average.

It does it work well - once you get it set up properly. My 5 Ghz wi-fi network is exceptionally weak. So I use this extender to extend my 5 Ghz network to off load all the devices that are capable of 5 Ghz off of 2.4 Ghz which is crowded. This extender will work with your 2.4 Ghz as well. But new generation of wi-fi routers is so good that unless you live in a mansion or have a huge backyard, you would not need an extender. By the way, if you live in apartments or condos that are crowded with wi-fi routers from every resident in a small area, you will have wi-fi collision which this extender won't help. That is another topic all together.

There are a few conditions and observations that I thought may help lessen the frustration for others:

1. The power button is a mechanical switch. That means, you have to press it farther than an electronic button which only needs to make contact.

2. It takes about 15 second for the power up procedure to complete. You can tell by the power light staying on (instead of blinking). I was impatience and pressed all sorts of buttons hoping it would work. It would not.

3. Please note, you will need to repeat the set up for 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz separately. Just slide the selector on the extender to the frequency you want to set up first or second.

4. Before you press the Wi-fi Protected Setup (WPS) buttons on both the router and the extender, make sure you *enable* your WSP in your router. You need to know how to do this or have someone who does to help. Casual users might not have disabled this feature, so you may only need to check. Advanced users may have disabled this feature. Or some routers may have this feature disabled by default. When in doubt, just set up as per the instruction and see if it works. The information provided here is in case you could not make it work; then it could be one of the causes.

5. You need to have your wireless SSID broadcast. SSID is the name of your wireless network. "SSID broadcast" is a default setup in all routers I am familiar with. However, some advanced users may have turned off (and forgot). I turned off my SSID broadcast for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz to make it a little harder for others to see my wireless networks. [Please note, the signal is in the air, turning off the SSID broadcast only prevents casual snoopers to see your networks - not the determined ones with proper tools.] The extender needs to "see" your broadcast SSID to extend it. You can turn off your SSID broadcast after you are done with the set up.

6. It doesn't matter if you have a physical WPS button or not, you can always press this button in your router set up in the browser. For my WD router, it is in Wireless tab/screen in the advanced area. There's a big blue WPS button on the screen and I simply clicked on it with a mouse pointer.

7. After you press the WPS button on the router, either by physical button or on the browser, go and press the WPS button on the extender. No rush here as they give you 120 seconds to press the second button. The wireless light on the extender will flash slowly. When the light flashes quickly, the extender encounters some errors. About 60-90 seconds later (this is longer than my patience), the wireless light on the extender will be steady. It is connected to your wireless now and is extending it.

8. ... But... you still need to wait for about 10 seconds for the wireless signal display on the body of the extender to light up (I think this display is a clever feature). Now you are ready to test your new wireless range.

9. I would suggest that you set up the extender next to your wireless router for easy access to both. When the extender has been set up, you can unplug it and move it around to see where it will best *both* receives a decent wireless signal from your router, *and* extend that signal to the rest of the house. Now use your smart phone and go to the corner where you used to have weak signal - less than 4 bars, and observe your wireless strength to confirm you have full 4 bars (on my iphone). Your extender will remember the set up even if you turn if off or unplug it to move it around.

Note: The signal strength display on the body of the extender is somewhat exaggerating. They use 3 bars to indicate one signal level. For example, you will see ::: This is one level strength, :::::: This is 2 level strength. There are only 3 levels ::::::::: I have only one level and my signal is boosted to full strength which is the whole goal of the extender. Please note that this signal strength indicates the strength of the signal of your router as "seen" by the extender. The extender job is to boost this signal to full strength from where it sits.

So if you are frustrated, you need to grab someone who has an understanding of wireless and wireless security principles to help you. Or read Amazon.com reviews to try for yourself. The fun is in the challenge. Please don't be frustrated. You are expert in you own field if not wireless technology. Good luck and have fun.
on August 7, 2013
I purchased this product because a new USB 3.0 hub was interfering with my WiFi signal.
It was an easy inexpensive solution.
Many have commented on the lack of instructions in the box.
This is correct, but I had no trouble downloading the excellent PDF instruction manual from products.wdc.com/updates as given in the minimal quick install guide.

I could have just pushed the WPS buttons, but my router is out of easy reach so it was easier to just:
Plug this product into power.
Turn it on.
Wait a few seconds for both lights to be steady,
Go to my computer and find and connect to the new "WDRangeExtender" WiFi SID
A web browser opens automatically to the range extender log in page.
Log In with "admin" and "password" (change the password later for security)
and tell it to connect to and extend my "NobleOak" network. (it assumes the same SSID name)
Then add _EXT to distinguish it from the original and change my computer to use the new WiFi name.

That's It! all set up and working perfectly.
This range extender added 20 db more signal at my laptop location (as measured by the InSSIDer program)
thereby completely solving the USB 3.0 Hub interference problem!
on June 17, 2014
I needed to extend the WiFi signal of the base router, and also provide an ethernet connection downstairs for a PS3. This worked well while the system was able to actually provide a connection. Unfortunately, it would work sporadically, and could not always maintain a connection. The browser-accessible GUI is very limited, and does not provide any advanced functions to work with.

When I contacted WD support about it, I was placed through some basic troubleshooting that I had already tried. When this did not work, the person on the phone gave up on me, stating that it is a "simple product" and it's supposed to "just work." Needless to say, that was disheartening.

In the end, I routed an ethernet cable from the main router to another one I purchased downstairs to create a far more reliable Access Point.

Perhaps this particular product would function better in your setup, or perhaps I just got stuck with a defective product.
on September 13, 2013
Short story is this extender was able to connect to my ASUS router, and my computers were all able to connect to the extender, but I could never get an internet connection. After wasting a couple of days trying to get it to work, I just packed it up and sent it back. The supplied instructions are worthless w/o any references to an online manual. The manual wasn't able to provide a solution either. I reset the extender and restarted the process numerous times, all with the same result. Finally, it came to a point where I had too many other things to do, and could not continue to waste my time dorking around with it any longer. According to WD, you just plug it in, push a button and Voila! Everyone is Happy, Happy, Happy... NOT!

Obviously, not everyone had the same results as I did. I only wish that I had been one of them is all.

Zero star rating if I could.