NetFlix Streaming Problem - Sony BDP-N460 I've been have major problems trying to stream Netflix movies using my Sony BDP-N460 player. I have used the recommended wireless bridge and I've even run a 50' network cable directly to the device. Both ways I see the same problems. After a few minutes, the movie starts pausing with the message "Loading, please wait" appearing on the bottom of the screen. Sometimes the pausing last for a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. It makes the movie completely unwatchable, though. A 2 hour movie took 4 hours one night. Also, I have an 8GB flash drive installed, so that's not the problem.

My internet is fine. I'm able to play online games with no problem and I can also play hour-long Madden games online on the PS3 with no problems.

Does anyone have any advice?
asked by S. Smith on September 3, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 11-20 of 138 answers
A
OK, your problem sounds like a separate problem that mine. I would guess that you are having an ISP problem if your other devices also have the problem. My other devices work fine at all times, so I have narrowed it down to the device. I believe that it is a manufacturing defect and not all BDP-N460 players have the problem. One of the times you'd love to have bought the additional warrantee.
S. Smith answered on January 16, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Having the same problem with BDP-BX57 but I don't think it's the player. We can't get anything to load on the laptop or the main computer which is directly connected to the cable. I think it must be a netflix problem but there is no way to get hold of them. I am seriously bummed and will probably discontinue the service soon as the instant stream was a major reason for having it in the first place. Any body have any advise?
D. Prast answered on January 21, 2011
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If you can't get anything to load at all on any device it sounds like a problem with your connection. Netflix is sometimes overloaded and thus rebuffers excessively, but it never manifests as no load at all. I'd talk to my ISP.
jheartney answered on January 21, 2011
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I was having the same problem. I am a huge fan of Netflix Streaming Video's and watch them constanly on my PC. I don't recall when the problem started but there was a constant stopping and starting with the message "Your Internet Connection Has Slowed". I have fought with it, seems like forever trying to find out what the problem was. Then I stumbled upon a reply on a Google Search that said they were having the same problems and it was corrected when they changed their browser from Interent Explorer to Firefox. I figured what the hey and downloaded Firefox. Bam, no more problems. Seems that MicroSoft can't get there own software to jive. Silverlight and Internet Explorer. Now, I'm not sure about your Wii and other units you use to connect, but I'm assuming they all have to route thru your computer. If that is the case and your computer is using Internet Explorer to connect, that could be your problem. You can download Firefox, and not make it your regular browser. Just use it when you connect to Netflix and see if that corrects your problems.
Kit Shay answered on January 25, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
That's not the case. With my BD player it connects directly to the router or cable modem.
S. Smith answered on January 25, 2011

A
That won't solve the problem for me because I HAVE mozilla firefox.
D. Prast answered on January 25, 2011

A
I'm a computer engineer, so I did a lot of tests. I did them in different times of the day and week, and with direct as well as wireless connections. In the end I concluded the problem was not at my end.

It seems that at nights, and especially weekends, many more people are trying to stream video. Netflix servers (computers storing video) and communication links to them get overloaded.

This is why streaming video from other services (YouTube, Hulu, Amazon, etc.) will work fine during those peak times, but Netflix will not. This problem will continue until Netflix catches up. My guess is that Netflix is desperately trying to increase their capacity while publicly asserting the problem is someone else's.
Laer Carroll answered on February 10, 2011
Comment (1) | 20 of 23 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I agree, in part. After using differnt players to stream netflix, I have found:
PC never misses a beat
My samsung will have 1 or 2 short burst of stop and buffering but starts back up (Netflix problem)
Sony stops and will not restart. Keeps buffering for 20 minutes or more and almost never stops rebuffering.
After doing all my testing, replacing units, running them at the same and different times, same movies, I see that both Netflix and Sony has a problem. In fact, when Sony and I called Netflix on conference call, automated message came up stating having streaming problems. Tech said no problems. We advised of message. He stated "huh" I did not know that."
Only thing I can think of why PC works flawlessly is it's ability to load movie into memory when it can, both in advance when movie 1st loads as well as when streaming the movie and they you view from what is already loaded. The DVD players do not load much in advance, and the Sony's do not appear to load into memory when steaming the movie. Only just when movie 1st loads. Even if you use a high capacity USB drive plugged in (Sony's and others need external storage). Way these devices work.
So this supports both conclusions. Sony and Netflix both have issues.
Before buying another Sony, check online with that model number and review. See that even the most current Sony products have problems streaming Netflix. Is it just their lack of ability to "store" an ample amount of movie content in memory in advance, or some other issue. Acts like that is the issue. They when Netflix has an issue, it sits there, along with everyone else's machine, all trying to pull from resticted supply at the same time. Result is problems.
Netflix needs to catch up so they can supply for the demand.(What are they doing with all the $ from all the subscribers? This is same issue that AOL had when it went huge, remember that?!!)
Sony needs to update software to allow more storage in external drive, ability to store ahead when movie is playing as well.
You think that would be a no-brainer for Sony.
Playstation's ability to better stream movies also supports this.
Netflix deserves a class action law suit for not providing as advertised. Sony just needs to lose buyers until they realize they have to fix their problems.
R. Horton answered on February 11, 2011
Comment (1) | 14 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have this BD player and a playstation 3. I can stream the same movie at the same time of day to both devices and have completely different results. I seriously do not believe this is a netflix problem. I have never had so much as a hiccup on my PS3 when streaming from netflix. With this BD player, it is impossible to stream without at least tripling the play time of the movie. You even state that your PC works flawlessly. Clearly netflix is not the problem if we can stream flawlessly on a PS3 or a PC. The problem is with the player. It seems to me that the problem lies in software and what needs to happen is the player needs to download a significant amount of data to the storage device prior to playing. I have an 8GB flash drive hooked up. That should suffice. The player should delete or overwrite whatever data is downloaded onto the storage device each time a new movie is streamed.

One thing that makes no sense, though, is the fact that there are people out there who have stated that they have absolutely no problems with streaming from Netflix on this device. This leads me to believe that it is a hardware issue on my/your specific device - a manufacturing defect. We may never know, though. Luckily the device plays Blu-rays and DVDs beautifully, or it would already be in the trash. I'm gonna wait a few years before buying another streaming device. I'll let them perfect it first. Until then the PS3 will bounce back and forth between rooms.
S. Smith answered on February 11, 2011
Comment (1) | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
One crucial question that it's hard to know the answer to in these discussions is, are all the devices (the ones that rebuffer all the time vs. the ones that don't) streaming at the same bitrate? A video stream may constantly outrun its buffer if it's encoded at too high a bitrate, while a stream encoded to match what the playback system can handle will go smoothly.

I see this when I set up video to run through my Roku's media server channel. If I encode at too high a bitrate, the playback constantly rebuffers; if I re-encode at a lower rate, the stream runs without a hitch.

It's possible that what's going on with the BD players is they are trying to pull down video streams that are too fat for their setup (ISP-->cable box/router-->playback device) to handle. On Netflix devices I'm familiar with, like the Roku, the device will switch to a lower bitrate stream automatically if it keeps outrunning the buffer. (I see this a lot with my basement Roku, which is pretty far from the router and will drop from four dots to three to compensate; since it's on an old TV you can't really tell any difference.) If the BD players don't automatically downgrade their stream when they outrun their buffers, this would explain why you see the constant reloading. It would also explain why some titles have more of a problem than others, as stuff that has no HD encode available can't be sent at too high a bitrate.

You could check to see if there's a setting in the setup for the BD player to allow the player to use a lower resolution (720p vs 1080p, or even 480p vs 720p). If there's no such setting, and if the Netflix client doesn't downgrade its resolution automatically when necessary, you're dealing not with a manufacturing defect so much as poorly designed Netflix client software.

OTOH if all the devices (the ones that rebuffer all the time as well as the ones that don't) are using the same quality streams, then the problem must mean that the rebuffering devices are receiving bits slower than the non-rebuffering ones. (Having a larger buffer, as the Playstation and computers do, will smooth out an erratic video stream better, but if you get constant rebuffering this probably isn't your problem; more likely the device is outrunning the average rate that it's receiving bits.) I dunno why one device would be able to receive data faster than another given the same setup. But it's possible, I suppose.

Anyway, if you're going to compare devices, it's really important to determine if they are using the same size video stream.
jheartney answered on February 11, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   14   Next ›