5.0 out of 5 stars Longtime Professional User of NetObjects Fusion
I've been using NetObjects Fusion since version 7.5, the 2003 version. Every version has had worthy improvements, including this version 11.

For every kind of user (pro or beginner, career or personal end user, etc) Netobjects has its good and bad sides. Better start with the bad news.

THE BAD NEWS ABOUT NETOBJECTS FUSION 11
Each version,...
Published on November 22, 2008 by Eric Gondwe

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine If You don't Mind Having Zero Technical Support
I've been a user of NOF for years, starting with NOF 4.0 and have been very satisfied with it. The program took awhile to master but I could design fairly decent websites easily. Nothing fancy though.

Published on December 18, 2008 by Tawn

5.0 out of 5 stars Longtime Professional User of NetObjects Fusion, November 22, 2008

THE BAD NEWS ABOUT NETOBJECTS FUSION 11
Each version, perhaps due to increased tools, comes with a steeper learning curve for anyone using the software for the first time. Version 11 is no exception.

Thus if you're using Netobjects for the first time you may be disappointed by its initiation ceremony. Needless to say that ALL of its major rivals have their own learning curves. Microsoft's HTML editors may be easier since it looks more like the other MS Office software. Dreamweaver too may be easier for many since it's used as the standard HTML editor program in schools.

What helped me pass Netobjects' initiation process is their user manual. It was a smaller printable booklet with version 7.5. Version 11 has an 1194 page PDF book. It's an encyclopedia!! What better way to be frightened off. However PDF files have a search feature that can help you look for and find what you need, just like you search the internet for what you need. It's not a book to read cover to cover. The software also has a help tool in the "Help" menu.

Forget about contacting their support for help. It's like contacting Microsoft to ask how MS Word works. You'll be one in trillion people to receive a response that's of any value. Their user manuals are better sources. Or better still sign up for a course that can be faster than learning on your own. Youtube.com has a few helpful videos -some are in the German language where it's most popular (it's their baby - maybe that's why it has an awful English name).

Another approach that helped was starting to create sites using its "Site Wizard." After creating one I'd then work through it in editing the pages. It was like starting webmastering all over. But it paid off since it makes you learn how the software works while also enabling you to at least create something.

Another issue to shun is using their templates as if they're for your final output "product." Their templates are only guidelines -unless you've modest webmaster skills. In fact templates can be very useful for webmaster beginners. If you're an advanced user who gets to use a preferred template and then edits it to suite a desired design you won't be disappointed. I'm more a content developer, SEO and HTML person more than a web designer. So anyone can find their templates useful, even people like me who have deficient designing skills. I believe design skills are God given. But you can bypass them by perfecting what God gave you.

After learning from their templates I now have my own templates to use on different sites. You'd know sites I've created by seeing many features that look alike. Since my design skills are quite scant any good design you see is creditable to colleagues, not me.

THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT NETOBJECTS FUSION 11
Version 11 is a state of the art WYSIWYG HTML editor, integrating the latest webmaster tools for the ever changing internet environment. It beats its rivals in many areas, particularly in usability, price, great META tag code generator for SEO, exceptional CSS and XHTML publishing. All these features are almost indispensable to a serious webmaster. Netobjects does them well and saves you from the extra sweat you'd go through in creating websites.

The rivals of Netobjects I've worked with include the well known HTML editors by webmasters: Maromedia Dreamweaver (now Adobe Dreamweaver (2008)) and Microsoft FrontPage (now Microsoft Expression Web and Sharepoint Designer (2008)). You'd likely agree with me if you're willing enough to go through the learning curve puzzle. Practice makes perfect. Then you'll be able to objectively criticize the software for what it has or doesn't have.

I also used Dreamweaver during IT classes and easily abandoned it after discovering Netobjects. It's harder to switch from what you're used to so trust me the switch meant I'd found something way better. And the upgrade costs from each newer version are far less for Netobjects than for Dreamweaver, leave alone Micro$oft'$ program$.

I may not have said all on the good and bad news. There is a good article on Netobjects at Wikipedia. I found it helpful. Or you can download from their website their free earlier version to experiment with. Must say it's a Stone Age version compared to version 11. But at least you'll get the feel of its fundamental GUI and usability.

God bless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Web building software that offers full functionality, February 11, 2009
This review is from: NetObjects Fusion 11 Full Version (CD-ROM)
NetObjects Fusion 11 is a potent WYSIWYG web editor that enables you to build a web site that contains just about any functionality you can think of -- without writing any code.

The default "look" for web sites looks much like frames, with "navigation bars" that can contain either text or graphical buttons. Placing objects in the sections of the page designated as a "masterborder" (along the edges of the page) means that the object will appear on each page (again, like frames), and certain flavors of the endlessly customizable navigation bars are automatically maintained by Fusion to provide navigation to other pages on the site. This feature is much like what FrontPage had. You can use different masterborders on different pages for a different look.

Of course, the product includes the usual tools for precisely positioning and formatting text, tables, and adding images (including image maps). The interface is pretty "busy", with multiple toolbars, panels of options (that switch depending on what tool you're using) and a vast array of items (such as animated flash objects) you can add using additional toolbars. The interface is fully configurable, nevertheless, a high-resolution screen is a big help.

You can build two types of photo galleries (HTML and Flash) and fine tune virtually everything about these galleries. Unfortunately, at least in the Flash gallery, it is very easy to outrun even a really fast computer as it can take a while for things to respond.

You can also add sophisticated functionality, such as Forms, a Guestbook, FAQ, shopping, hit counter, security (with id and password) and much more -- all without writing any code. In most cases, you simply drag a Fusion component onto the page and then use a dialog box to configure it. For example, you must designate a "database" (which can be just a text file on your web site) for the Guestbook -- but the wizard even walks you through this process and enables you to test the connection from within the program. The security components give you the ability to manage the ids from a special web page, as does the FAQ admin component. The Guestbook component even enables you to validate the guestbook entries before posting them -- very handy since guestbooks tend to attract all sorts of spam. Just keep in mind that it is very important to link up the various pages that make up the implementation of these components, or they won't work. NetObjects Fusion even has a pretty decent interface for publishing the contents of database [...].

Publishing your site is relatively straightforward, once you configure the site parameters (FTP). You can publish locally to your hard drive or (obviously) to your web site. Some components (such as the FAQ component) must be published remotely in order to view and use them (unless you have a local web server, of course).

The product comes with a vast array of "SiteStyles", which are color-coordinated backgrounds, buttons, banners, and the like. You can use multiple SiteStyles on a given site, and even use a graphic program (such as Paint, Photoshop Elements, etc.) to customize the graphics -- then use them on the site.

If you want complete control (and know what you're doing), you can directly use CSS, though you have considerable control without resorting to that.

To be fair, there is a fair learning curve, but this is program that, in my opinion, is worth learning. And there are some bugs, though nothing really awful. And the comments about tech support are also fair, it can take quite a while to get an answer back, and the answer isn't always very helpful. Make sure to update to the latest version from the web site, as there have been some fixes.

David Plotkin
Author of "How to do everything: NetObjects Fusion"

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine If You don't Mind Having Zero Technical Support, December 18, 2008
Tawn (Las Vegas, NV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NetObjects Fusion 11 Full Version (CD-ROM)

I upgraded to NOF 11. I can't even figure out how to publish the pages. (Keep in mind I've worked with NOF for years.) I keep getting an error message and there's no way to figure out what's wrong because they have zero technical support. There's little info in their online knowledge data base. Nothing in forums that helped me. No telephone number to speak to a LIVE person. And their email "ticket" process takes days. I still haven't received an answer.

Now NOF 11 might be okay with strong technical support but since it doesn't have any, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

If you want to try NOF for creating simple websites, get ahold of an older version, like NOF 4.0. Much easier to learn and publishing the pages is a breeze.

2.0 out of 5 stars Full of bugs, and NO SUPPORT, May 18, 2009
Paul C. Simonson "Melkoret" (Arroyo Grande, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NetObjects Fusion 11 Full Version (CD-ROM)
It does have a lot of functionality, but if your trying to make a vast website for your business... Stay farrr away, and just hire somebody to code it themselves -_- WYSIWYG Editors are not good for large sites. Period! Ive been using this version 11 for a year now, and I say AVOID IT!

PS- dont use the Multi Layout Regions! Theyre terribly broken!

4.0 out of 5 stars stable and reliable, June 19, 2013
Charlie (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NetObjects Fusion 11 Full Version (CD-ROM)
Fusion 2013 on Windows 7.

I have been using Fusion 8 since 2008 and find it to be stable and reliable and have just upgraded to Fusion 2013, importing my old website was straight forward. Whilst there is a learning curve and everything is not as intuitive as it might be and the templates are not as modern as they could be the software is stable and works and has never crashed or let me down. It is lightning fast and makes automatic backups each time one closes a file. The advantage of having a perpetual licence with the software on your own computer and not using a web based online site creator is that you can make as many web sites as you choose and you don't loose your site if you change your hosting provider.

Uploading is easy once set up and changes and updates to your website are quickly and easily made.

Fusion 2013 has an updated interface and is easier to use. There is an online help file which is comprehensive. I have not used the technical support so cannot comment on this. Certainly a better buy than most. You can also find coupon codes if you look for a better price.

Reccomended

1.0 out of 5 stars Clunky program, lousy support, October 19, 2011
Carlos Laflauta (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NetObjects Fusion 11 Full Version (CD-ROM)
I was very enthusiastic about this program when I bought version 10 a few years ago. It seemed like the perfect solution for me: I had a rudimentary knowledge of HTML, absolutely no talent for graphic design, and a desire for more control than the simpler WYSIWYG programs offer. NOF had it all: CSS, an interface that supposedly allowed complete control over the code, and designs (sitestyles) to help the graphically challenged.

The problem was, the program was very complicated to use. It was also slow and crashed a lot. Fortunately, the documentation was excellent. It took the form of a hefty manual (PDF, over 1,000 pages), which I thought was one of the best in the business, and I learned the program through painstakingly following the tutorials and carefully outlined instructions. There was a learning curve, but eventually I did build a site that looked much better than anything I could have done on my own at that time.

Then came NOF 11. This version was an improvement, and seemed to solve the crashing problem, though still ran a bit slow. The manual was just as extensive, but this time the authors did not bother to provide an index. This made a real chore out of locating specific topics, so I saved my printout of the NOF 10 manual and kept using that.

I could have lived with that, but things got worse. For some reason I could never fathom, the code I painstakingly assembled through NOF did not show up the way I intended. The pages looked fine when I published them locally, but when I put them on the web the formatting was ruined. Examining the source code, I found that NOF had inserted empty paragraphs, tags, and nonbreaking spaces in places I had never put them. The graphics that I did use also got messed up. In addition, NOF did not honor some choices that I made. I specified my font sizes in ems (so that text would easily wrap in all browsers and window sizes), but NOF insisted on rendering them in pixels. Again, the program is not always clear about what it wants from you.

By this time I had dozens of pages in my site, and editing them would have been a nightmare. I could have used an HTML editor with the capacity to edit files globally - EXCEPT that NOF does not have this feature. I could view the code, but that was it. I could not even edit most of it! That meant trying to figure out what weird NOF rules I might have broken and then re-editing each page one at a time, then wait for the next NOF quirk to do something unpredictable to my web site. Forget it. No way.

I decided to learn CSS myself, so I could design my own site from scratch and have complete control over my own code. And guess what - learning CSS was actually easier than learning NOF! So who needs that bloated program? I redesigned my entire web site, pretty much duplicating the design from the NOF version except that I made it look much better, with more control over the style than NOF offered me. I was no longer at the mercy of the whims of this unpredictable program.

Unfortunately, I upgraded to NOF 12 before I learned that lesson. I never even used it, because NOF 12 does not come with a manual, not even in PDF. All you get are some very skimpy online help files, nowhere near adequate to serve as a useful reference for such a complicated program, and in my opinion totally useless. I can only consider this change from the previously well-crafted PDF to be a gesture of contempt toward the customer, by a company whose support was far from stellar to begin with (you can wait days for an email response from them that doesn't even answer your question). I was afraid to convert my site to version 12 without having good reference material to help me use it, and then not being able to go back to version 11 in an emergency, which for all its shortcomings at least had a manual that made sense.

So NOF 12 was a complete waste of money. And so, it turned out, was version 11. With my own knowledge of HTML and CSS, I found I could do a better job than NOF did. With several advantages:

1. Complete control over my own code, and the ability to understand and edit every line of it.

2. The ability to make lightning-fast changes, since all I do is open a Wordpad text file, instead of waiting for NOF's usual sluggish performance (which tends to get more sluggish as site size increases).

3. No more fear of NOF doing unpredictable things to my code and adding stuff I never put into it.

4. Better use of CSS. Even though NOF supports CSS, it still uses tables for page layout, a practice now considered antiquated.

So I now pan this program for the very reason that I once praised it. It gives you not the best, but the worst of both worlds. I originally thought it provided a solution for the intermediate user like me, with some knowledge but no professional expertise. But that's precisely the problem. If you don't know enough HTML to make sense of NOF, then use one of the simpler WYSIWYGs. NOF does claim not to require knowledge of HTML, but undoubtedly such knowledge helps, and if you have no knowledge of HTML at all then NOF is likely to confuse you. And if you do know enough HTML (and CSS) to make NOF work, then you don't need NOF. Why on earth spend so much time and trouble learning a program this complex when it's actually easier to learn how to code your site yourself?

I wish I had figured all this out at least before I upgraded to NOF 12, but the experience was worth it, since it pushed me to learn how to build my own web sites without needing to depend on a third-party program. That experience has been very rewarding. And in the end I actually will be saving some money: I will not be upgrading to NOF 13.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you only want extreme basic this will work but..., September 30, 2008
B. Babb "kites0852" (Virginia Beach, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NetObjects Fusion 11 Full Version (CD-ROM)
This product will only work with the most basic of websites. It comes with templates, which at a glance looks like there are many to choose from, however, closer looks reveal on many only the colors and some of the wording is changed. In the end, approx 12 templates are provided in the downloaded version (the retail boxed version may have more, did not get that to be able to say.)

Editing images provided requires Photoshop and the knowledge to do it (I do, but it still results in the 'template' site appearance.)

Best bet is to go to the manufacturer's website, download the trial version and obtain a trial key. (You have to download version 10 as 11 is not available for trial). See if it will handle your needs before buying.

There is a lot of commercial advertising inside the program from webhosting to custom templates, to affiliates program to domain registration - in the screen you start from each time.

Most programs, when you pay as much as this one costs, will remove that, but this is an integral part.

The interface appears geared towards selling with small icons to begin making and editing a web page.

You are offered "free" templates if you register the software. I don't register because typically that is only to get your address and email to inundate you with more garbage and emails. In addition, many sites may sell your information which leads to even an higher volume of junk mail.

The assistance links are nicely located on the main screen to help locate the help file and "get started" file.

Their site seems to offer some assistance, and there may be a learning curve.

If you want a basic website, this will probably suit your needs. However, if you want more in-depth sites, look for different software.

NetObjects Fusion 11 Full Version
NetObjects Fusion 11 Full Version by NetObjects (Windows)
Out of stock