Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Netflix forum

Netflix on Kindle Fire 8.9 low resolution

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2012 12:33:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 12:34:12 PM PST
Itchypanda says:
I downloaded the official Netflix app from the Kindle store and it displayed low resolution (480p). I downloaded the app for Netflix through a sideapp for Android and it still displays at low resolution. I went into my Netflix account to display at Best Quality but both apps play low resolution. Do I simply have to watch on my Roku for an HD stream? I was hoping to watch good quality on my new HD 8.9 but it's not streaming that way. It can't be my wi-fi connection because my Roku player streams at minimum 720p immediately. Anyone having similar problems? Maybe a future update?

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 5:30:30 PM PST
B. Holland says:
I'm having this problem too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 12:47:54 PM PST
keving says:
Yes, I'm having a similar problem as well. The picture quality is very low (480p) when I stream to my Kindle Fire HD 8.9. I have only used the Netflix app from the Kindle store (I have not sideloaded anything). Because I stream Netflix to a Roku box across the house, and it streams in minimum 720p immediately with absolutely no issues... I don't think it's the wifi.

Sadly, my wife's original Kindle Fire 7" (non-HD) actually streams Netflix better (smoother and with equal or better picture). I don't get it, but this might be a deal breaker for me. I have only owned my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 for three weeks, but if this is indicative of the product I bought I might reconsider my purchase and go buy an Ipad. And I say that with sadness, because I really wanted the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 to work out for me and my family. Our first Kindle has performed like a champion.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 1:09:18 PM PST
Itchypanda says:
It's such an odd problem, that I'm beginning to think there's some interference by Amazon. My Roku has no issues whatsoever picking up and HD stream and on my Kindle Fire HD 8.9, it picks up any Amazon Prime movie/tv show at a high frame rate but Netflix looks so muddy like a 480i stream on an HD screen. I hope and pray that a Netflix representative is looking into this issue. I know there have been 2 updates to Netflix since I've purchased my Fire 8.9 but I purchased the device to watch both Prime and Netflix on it. Right now, I'm watching on my Roku player instead and this will make me seriously consider purchasing another Amazon product.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:30:12 PM PST
I just signed up for Netflix but do not know how to go about making it work! I have the new Kindle Fire HE. Please help me!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:23:57 PM PST
Itchypanda says:
1-866-579-7172 Call Netflix customer service. They are excellent and should help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 9:33:57 PM PST
Lorna M. Lee says:
soooooo tired of the kindle hd fire 8.9 not working with netflix!!!!!!!! this is a very expensive thing and to have it not working correctly and not having anyone to help with it is frustrating enough for me that i will return it - not worth this much money!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 12:44:34 PM PST
Itchypanda says:
Hey Lorna. What specifically is the issue? Does the streaming cut out on you? Does the app not start at all? One thing that has helped me (and this is an odd way of fixing things, but here it goes) was to unload books and videos from my device. For some weird reason when I used a lot of my storage in the Kindle device, any streaming was sluggish. When I deleted books and videos from my device, the streaming was stronger. Not sure why but it helped me. Otherwise, call 1-866-579-7172 Netflix customer support and see how they can help. Hopefully, it does something.

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 3:46:40 PM PDT
Dan Taylor says:
I have a new Fire 8.9, and Netflix won't play at all. It's as if there is a purposeful block between Amazon and Netflix. Bad for Amazon...

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 11:03:51 AM PDT
Itchypanda says:
I'm not sure who fixed the app (Netflix or Amazon or both) but the detection of HD availability is much faster and seems to run at a steady 720p now. I wish we would get the 1080p that the Nexus 7 2nd generation gets but I'm fairly happy now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2013 1:34:21 PM PDT
keving says:
Yes... I completely agree. Netflix runs much smoother and the picture is better on my Kindle Fire 8.9. Congrats to whoever is responsible for this improvement.

I have now had my KF for 7 months and am liking it a bit more and more as each month passes. Still not sure if I made a good decision to buy the KF (as opposed to the Ipad Mini), but not regretful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2013 8:08:15 PM PDT
Unfortunately watching Netflix on our Kindles is soon to be a thing of the past. They are charging more to stream to these type devices.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2014 9:02:34 PM PST
Did this and it worked well. They are very helpful. The recording that answers asks for a repair code, which I had no idea of, but it just transfers you to a live tech. Problem that I had with my Fire HD was that it had been playing Netflix streaming just fine. Then one day, it just went to a Error 0041 message saying it could not connect to Netflix. They walked me through clearing out the video data cache under the Amazon Video app, rebooting, and it works great again. Very helpful suggestion, thanks
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Netflix forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Netflix by Netflix, Inc
4.2 out of 5 stars (23,897)