Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on July 30, 2013
I was hesitant about buying this router as there are several bad reviews regarding the wireless signal. I found one used for 35$ so I bit the bullet and purchased anyway. I am replacing my Time Warner Cable Modem as they just increased the leasing fees. I planned on only using the modem functionality of this device, and use my existing wireless router as I thought the wireless on the Netgear would be horrible.
I ended up setting up and using the wireless on the CG3000d because of two reasons
1. The button on the front of the device to turn the wireless radio "off" does not work so I am unable to turn off the wireless signal anyway
2. The wireless signal from the Netgear cg3000d is great in my location/(smaller house 2000 sq ft)

Pros)
Easy setup with TWC. A 10 minute phone call
Im getting my advertised speeds of 20 Mbps down and 2 up from the modem and router.
No dropouts over the last 4 days Ive had it.
I stream Amazon VOD over ps3(wireless). Works great
Online gaming with PS3 wireless works great.
Lots of options in the admin menu

Cons)
Cant turn off the wireless radio.
No option to upgrade firmware from what I can tell in the admin section
1212 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2014
Ok reading poking and trying things you can make this work right and like it should.

first call twc or chat online give the the mac address and they will activate it.

Next you need to log into the modem. But do not log in like it says or twc tells you to. They well say to log in using.

Admin
password

use this to log in go to
192.168.0.1
pop ask you to log in now log in this way you got system admin

user:
MSO
Pass:
changeme

Now go to services turn off ip flooding

Then set wifi settings like this
user:

use this one ----> WPA2-PSK[AES]
WPA-PSK[TKIP] + WPA2-PSK[AES]
WPA/WPA2 Enterprise
WPA2-PSK[AES]
Passphrase:YOUR PASSWORD HERE TO LOG IN TO WIFI (8-63 characters)
on September 10, 2013
Buyers Beware! Shipped in OEM box (Not Retail box as shown in photo). No security pin on unit to set up WiFi. Cable company said call Netgear. Gave them serial number. Said unit was sold in 6/12 and it's refurbished so cannot provide free support. Box has label saying "New."
33 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2013
Bought this for my daughter so she wouldn't have to pay a monthly fee to Comcast for a modem and then have to install a separate wireless router. Called CC and registered the MAC address and we were up and running in a few mins.
44 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2013
Note: these operations will not really upgrade the firmware of your modem but change its configurations. Therefore, it's almost riskless. If it can not open the website, try another browser.

(I tried it on COMCAST too. And this works.)
If you found your modem drops out frequently with time warner cable, you can try this:

1. Login your router 192.168.0.1 (default address, if changed, replace it) with username admin and then type in the address 192.168.0.1/__SeContents.html (You can change the password and then login your router with username NETGEAR_SE)
2. Update the firmware with any file at the __SeContents.html, the server address should be 192.168.0.1. The file name should include the full folder path. Again, any file can work. It will not really update it.
3. It will show it fails, but it does not matter, reboot the router.

This may fix the problems.
5353 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2014
I have recently had some issues with my internet service via Tim Warner Cable. They have had to switch my equipment a couple of times and have also had to come to my house to repair the connection at the street and outside of the house. I made a comment about the crappy components TW uses and the service tech recommended I buy my own modem/router and that way I could get something good with the specs I wanted. He recommended this one as it was accepted by TWC's service department (only a few are). When I saw the price on this, I thought, "It's too good to be true! I'll save $8 a month and this thing will pay for itself in no time!"

Well... I was right. Prior to this I was using a TWC no-name modem and my own Netgear wireless router. We live in a 2400 square-foot historic home with our equipment at the far end and I was able to receive a signal at the opposite end of the house. In the interest of full disclosure, that signal was pretty weak and would drop in and out, but I don't typically use my computer in that room anyway, so it didn't matter. Also, since we don't have a home phone, our home alarm system relies on Wi-Fi to stay connected with the call center.

I hooked this guy up, called TWC and gave them the Mac address. They got me connected, reset the box from their end and I was up and running in less than 10 minutes. Initially I was happy. Then, I got a call that my alarm system was offline. I checked and sure enough, it wasn't connected. I went through the setup and tried multiple times to reconnect it, but it couldn't find the signal. Where I used to have a couple of bars, I now got one or none. Sigh... I set to work routing ethernet cable through the attic to be able to place my old wireless router above the living room so the alarm system would get a signal. Bingo. Fixed the problem. I then set about browsing the web on this 3000D. Immediately, I noticed laggy connections and multiple drops. Web pages would load halfway and then stop loading. Refreshing the page got me a little more info. Turning wi-fi off and on again got it working.

I ran multiple diagnostics to see what channels nearby systems were on and tried this router on every channel that wasn't being used. Nothing. It constantly drops connection. I get a perfect Wi-Fi signal in the room it's in and I still can't browse simple forums, Amazon, eBay, etc. It just doesn't keep up. My wife started complaining about the shoddy service and couldn't get her iPad to stay connected to the internet without cycling the Wi-Fi off and on again.

I thought maybe the wireless was busted in this unit so I switched to the router in the attic and got the same. This modem/router doesn't consistently push a good internet signal. I know this says it's for Charter, but I did a significant amount of research and it is also the right model for TWC or Cox. However, this thing is absolute garbage.

It's going back to Amazon and I've ordered another Netgear router identical to the one in the attic and I'll just run dual routers in my house and go back to paying the $8 per month for the equipment rental through TWC. I was hopeful that this device would eliminate the need for multiple devices and an equipment charge, but this product just didn't deliver.

You'd be better off finding a good modem and pick up whichever router you want to go with it. This all-in-one is lousy at best.
on January 21, 2014
I had very bad exp with this product and would recommend not buy this modem. I have returned it and bought a new ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem which is working excellent ..

Had lot off issues with Netgear , for every few hours internet is disconnecting and connecting with low speed and not able to support multiple device connecting at a time.
on March 14, 2014
Quick delivery and I had it ready when the tech showed up to connect my internet. He was done in about 20 minutes and I was up and running. I connected my new roku 3 and was watching amazon prime videos in no time. Because I already had amazon prime and because I don't have to pay leasing fees to the cable company my entertainment budget now comes up to 14.99 a month. the 2 mbps is enough to stream everything in hd.
on January 17, 2015
Worked decent for a year not its completely unuseable . IDK Whats wrong but it drops wired/wireless signals every 20 minutes.
I have to get somethign else now. was using TWC and they and I did everyone under the sun thats imageinable.
on August 26, 2013
This modem/router seemed to work great when we first connected it. My husband ran multiple speed tests and it's performance seemed to be on par with the Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580. However, within 24 hours after first connecting it, I had to reboot it multiple times due to the signal dropping. Although my husbands initial speed tests indicated that its performance was similar to the SBG6580, it's obvious when using it that is not the case. We have had a very disappointing experience with this modem/router and plan on sending it back and getting another Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580.