Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold easycohice_2016 Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on February 17, 2012
I bought this after having a bad experience with the Amped line of extenders. This repeater was a breeze to setup, even the advanced functions. There wasn't a need to take a computer and reconfigure it to do the initial setup, right out of the box all I had to do was connect my laptop to it's temporary wifi ssd and reconfigure it from there using a simple step by step setup. I really like the fast lane technology where you can have it communicate on one band to your router and one band to your devices. Doing this increased my repeat speed by 300%. I live in an apartment building and can see over 20 wifi networks from my normal operating area, using the fast lane setup where I use 2.4Ghz to connect to my router and then 5.Ghz to connect to my devices works best as the farther out you take your devices in a 2.4Ghz wifi cluster environment, the more interference you have. One thing people should realize in that the signal is being repeated. . .don't expect to get the same speed as connecting directly to your router. When connected to my router I get aprox. 60-95MBs throughput, when it is being repeated on this product I am getting at max 30MBs using fastlane which is much better than other repeaters I've used. Also the 2.4Ghz will generally get about 15-20% better range but the 5Ghz works much better in wifi dense areas.
22 comments249 of 264 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2012
A year and a half ago I had DSL and tried everything to extend my wireless network to no avail. I even tried to connect two routers wirelessly through DD-WRT. After two weeks of frustration and returns I had nothing left to lose and bought a WN2000rpt range extender. Within 20 minutes I was able to extend the range of my DSL modem all over my house without any hassle or frustration. Occasionally, you had to reset the range extender, but just a simple power off and power on usually keeps it working for weeks on end without any problems. For that convenience and simplicity alone, I gave the WN2000rpt 5 stars.

Unfortunately, this January I upgraded to uverse and my WN2000rpt range extender doesn't work with it. I tried going googling all sorts of fixes, which occasionally worked, but nothing provided a consistent internet connection. I loved the range and convenience of my old range extender and was frustrated to see that I would have to go back to having practically no internet on the upper floor of my house.

I even called ATT, but they have no clue what products will work with Uverse. They told me to configure a router behind the uverse gateway, but that did practically nothing for my range. Googling gave no answers and by sheer luck I searched for netgear range extenders and saw in one of the lines of text on amazon that this could work with Uverse so I gambled and bought a range extender the next day hoping it would fix my internet problems.

Again, THANK YOU NETGEAR!!! In practically 5 minutes of configuration, my new range extender worked with my 2wire modem and I now have regained Internet all over the house! I have 5 bars everywhere, (you do need to know how to carefully place the range extender for maximum range), and I can actually use the 5GhZ band without any issues. For that alone I give this product 5 stars.

However, I do have to complain a little about Netgear's customer support. I went to their website and asked numerous times if they had a product that would work with uverse and I never received a response from them. It shouldn't have to take random luck to discover that they have such a great product which could have saved me a lot of time and frustration. They already had my trust with their earlier product, I just needed something else.
77 comments111 of 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2012
I have used other wireless range extenders that are just repeaters. While these are effective, and offer the convenience of defaulting to the same SSID so as to cut down on confusion for your users, they also have some limitations... That is, by the nature of repeaters, certain functionality is broken. In my case, the issue was multicast. My Xbox 360 associated to the repeater could no longer connect to my UPnP-based media server, since UPnP uses multicast for discovery. Enter this Netgear WiFi range extender...

So, for my fellow geeks, this is NOT, technically speaking, a wireless range extender/repeater. It's a wireless bridge with an additional dual-band WAP built in, and it is AWESOME. So here's how it works:

1) You plug it in and turn it on.

2) You associate your laptop or whatever else to it and navigate to a URL. It will capture your request and forcibly redirect it to its internal setup wizard.

3) In the wizard, you associate the range extender to your main access point and pick out TWO new SSIDs for the new 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz networks. In theory, I suppose you could set the same SSID - I didn't try. I decided I'd rather actually subdivide my network into different SSIDs so I'd have control over which WAP my devices connected to. The wizard points out that they recommend doing it as I did it, so I guess that implies you *could* use the same SSID, but I don't know for sure.

4) Profit!

I don't think the 2.4 Ghz side supports 40 hz (300 mbps) 802.11n, since the highest connection rate I saw from my laptop was 130 mbps, but the 5 ghz side connects at 300 mbps consistently. According to my main router/WAP (which only supports 2.4 ghz), the range extender is connected at 144 mbps. Again, I don't know if 40 hz is supported.

I didn't see any option to choose which channels the new networks transmit on. According to Vistumbler, the 2.4 ghz side is broadcasting on channel 3, which is the same as my main network. Whether it does this because it's what I chose for my main network or because it automatically chose a non-saturated channel, I can't say.

Using Speedtest.net, throughput and latency through the extender was virtually indistinguishable from my main router/WAP.

Some hardcore geeks might take issue with the lack of fine control I've illustrated, but overall, I really don't miss it. It's simple to set up, it works well (every corner of my house has good wifi coverage now), and it has a four-port switch built in, so I have no complaints.
88 comments133 of 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2012
Plugged it into the wall for power, pressed wps on it and wps on the netgear n750 dual band router to pair them. Both bands showed green on the extender which is a sign of good signal being transmitted from the router and that's all she wrote. Wifi is very strong throughout the entire apartment. Highly recommended, especially if being paired to a Netgear dual band router.
1111 comments88 of 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2012
I purchased the wn2500 to extend my wifi into the back yard and my garage. It raised my wifi signal from one bar to 5 bars, goes thru my large metal garage door without any problems what so ever.
I couldn't get the wpa to work very well so I manually set it up which is easy and I'm totally happy with it's performance.

My whole network system is netgear, router,range extender and wifi adapter in the garage, Roku players and other.

It's been almost a month now and I must say this extender is fantasic. It's very easy to connect to, and of cource it's password protected.
My power bars maintain 4 and 5 bars strong (2.4G and 5G)where as before I barely had one bar when in the back yard or garage. I perfer to use 5G when I can and this extender allows me that option and maintains the power to do so.
I would recommend the WN2500 with ease.
11 comment114 of 137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2012
I just got this and I ran this side by side with the WN2000RPT I was connecting to a wireless router about 100 ft away from my window through trees and the building where the router was, it had about two rooms/walls to go through..
the WN2500RP had maybe 16% fading in and out.. the WN2000RPT had 40-50% no fading out..locked on and stayed on..
So if your looking for range and don't need all the bells and whistles get the WN2000RPT and it cost less anyway..
44 comments69 of 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2012
First I want to say this extender went way beyond my expectations. I have an Amped Wireless extender I used before this one, so I didn't expect a whole lot. I thought I might get a little boost in signal, but this thing extended the range a good 60 feet with download speed reaching 10Mbps on my smartphone, and download speeds reaching 20Mbps, and 5Mps up on my laptop (out of a 30Mbps connection). I didn't see how far I could go before the signal weakened, but I know I can go at least 50 to 70 feet from my back door outside, and still get a good solid, reliable connection with 5 wifi bars. This is on the 2.4Ghz band by the way. No more 3G at home for this guy! I was Amazed, and ecstatic!

I saw a few reviews complaining about the setup process, and even one reviewer mentioned having to hook the extender up to the computer to get it to work. That person is talking about a completely different extender, and even brand of extender. At no time during setup will you ever need to connect this to a computer. You just plug it in, connect wifi via WPS, or you can do it through the browser.

Another reviewer mentioned the instructions were hard to understand. Seriously, they can teach a chimp to set this thing up. Just read the instructions slowly, and carefully. We're talking about two steps via WPS, and two steps to reach the wizard which walks you through the process if you want to do manual setup (if you can call it manual).

Don't try to connect to the 5Ghz band if your device doesn't support it! That may be part of the reason behind some of the other negative reviews.
All in all I'm beside myself with the performance of this thing since I've been trying to get a good Internet connection outside of the house for 3 years now. Finally, something not only works, but works great. I'm very happy with this extender, I would absolutely recommend it to a friend, or family.
0Comment33 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 1, 2012
I have a Windstream 2.4 GHz router/modem combo.(DSL) It's on the top floor of a 3 story home. My husband has a new desktop on the lower level that gets a weak to no signal periodically. We tried the Medialink system that works off the electrical outlets in a home. Did not improve the signal or reception. It was removed since it was basically worthless. He mostly gets 2 out of 5 bars strength.

I followed the instructions in the small installation booklet as well as the instructions on line. The screens showing on the installation part of the "wizard/genie" were NOT the screens I was getting on my Windows 7 HP desktop. The installation "genie" tries to direct you with is an Internet site. You get a screen that says that the web page address is no good. You have NO choice....You are automatically taken there when you press "continue" in the installation process !I found lots of comments on the Internet later about this problem and the fact that Netgear has apparently made no effort to correct this error..complaints even appearing on their web site under installation problems.

So I called the customer support number. The first guy I connected with asked me for my phone number and before I could give it out, hung up on me...we were disconnected somehow....I reset the range extender again and began all over again before attempting to speak with customer service. Same issue(s) as the first and second installation attempts. I break down and call customer support again. Get a female this time and I have to repeat the serial numbers.....6 times.....This overseas customer service is just not going to get it for me. I thanked her and said goodbye.

The next company I buy anything electrical from will have US based customer service or I will not purchase the product ! This is being sent back to amazon.com for a full refund. I cannot recommend based on my wasted hours.
22 comments32 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello PJD,

We are very sorry for the problems you are having with the WN2500RP, and for the issues you had with support. If you would like further assistance, we'd love the opportunity to assist you. Please contact us directly at amazon@netgear.com-- be sure to include any case numbers you have, as well as a copy and paste of your review. This will make it so we can better assist you.

Regards,
NETGEAR Team
on October 29, 2014
Beware!! Netgear outsources their tech support to a company called Iyogi. I called the Netgear cust svc last night needing help to configure this product with a new Verizon router I had received. The tech asked for access to remotely access my computer, which I was unsure about, but I agreed to. Within 5 minutes, the tech said I needed extra services from him that would cost $350, in order to configure the router....he said at a minimum I would need to pay $150 for a 1 year plan. He said if I agreed, my issue would instantly be solved and my Netgear extender would sync perfectly with my new router. He said Netgear's free service within 90 days offer didn't count in my case because my laptop (1 year old MacBook Pro that works perfectly), has "issues". The tech acknowledged that he was based in India. I have read many Iyogi reviews online, and many speak of words/phrases such as "scam", "beware", "promised but never delivered refunds", "untrue responses to negative reviews suggesting all has been resolved", and "dishonest". I can't confirm all of it, but I sure can relate. I have bought many routers and such over the years and never have I felt so taken advantage of. I was tempted to pay the $150 to solve the issue, but I'm glad I didn't. I decided to return the Netgear extender and find/buy one from a company who chooses their partners more wisely.
33 comments10 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2013
Bought the WN2500RPto extend my FIOS wireless network. I had a lot of issues with the initial pairing. Observations:

1. Netgear tech support was readily available and somewhat knowledgeable
2. Unfortunately Netgear support did not believe me that my Actiontec router uses an ASCII key for the password (WEP)
3. I eventually found an ASCII to HEX translator and tried to use the HEX version of the password to get the two devices talking to each other. This did the trick.
4. While I found it very odd that 10 other wireless devices (Macs, windows PCs, TVs, DVDs, iphones and ipads) on my network all hooked up to the Actiontec with the ASCII key, the Netgear required the Hex key to work.
5. All devices that hook to the network using the Netgear repeater require entering the HEX key.

Once solved, everything seems to be working very well.
11 comment9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse