Netgear PUSH2TV HD PTV2000 1080P Adapter for Wireless Display
Price:$69.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 8, 2011
You need to check Netgear's website under PUSH2TV for compatibility with your computer before buying this product. Look under "Supported Laptops", choose which country and see if your laptop is listed. If it's not, it probably won't work. I have a brand new HP Pavilion dv7-6143cl 17" laptop with a 2nd generation Intel Core i7 processor, 8 gigs of ram and it came equipped with Intel WiDi 2.0 and the Intel "My WiFi Technology" (all necessary for WiDi to work) but the PTV2000 will not work with it. In fact, there are only 2 HP Laptops listed on Netgear's website that are compatible with it. I actually did get it to work for about an hour after downloading the latest software version off Intel's website and was able too to upgrade the firmware in the PTV2000 to the latest while I had it running. I thought all was well but after I shut it down and came back later to try it again it was a no go again. I have not been able to get it to work again even after uninstalling and reinstalling the software repeatedly. I called Netgear and they say there's nothing they can do for me since my laptop isn't in their compatibility list.

I purchased my PTV2000 at Best Buy so I guess I'll have to take it back and take the 15% re-stocking hit. I would have thought that a product designed to receive a WiDi signal would have worked with a product designed to transmit a WiDi signal, but I guess I was wrong. I figured the only real issues would have been with your internet speed (for streaming) and your processor speed (for lag time) but the real issue here is about "compatibility" of which there are relatively few computers that actually are compatible. I'm not even sure why it is sold in the stores to the mainstream public since there are so few computers listed as compatible. The chances of someone walking in off the street or shopping online and actually owning one of those compatible computer's is pretty slim. The salesman at Best Buy said that as long as you have a 2nd gen. Intel Core i3, i5, or i7 and WiDi on your computer that it should work, which makes sense. But looking at the compatibility list would suggest otherwise. Perhaps that's why there are so many mixed reviews about it. It either works great, or it doesn't work or is buggy. Check the list first and save the hassle. Buyer beware.

I gave it 1 star because there are so few computer's that are actually "compatible" with it and it is being sold as if the only requirement is that you own a laptop with "Intel Wireless Display" on board. Now if only the "Intel Wireless Display" in my HP laptop was compatible with Netgear's "Intel Wireless Display", we would have had a home run here. Because for the 1 hour that I got it to work, it was amazingly good.

What a shame.

*****UPDATE*****

Not wanting to give up since it worked so well when it did work, I ended up calling HP's technical support line to see if they had any recommendations as to what kind of WiDi adapter was supposed to work with my HP laptop since it came installed with WiDi. They thought the PTV2000 "should" work and ended up spending about 3 hours on the phone with me troubleshooting, taking over my computer, and ultimately re-installing the operating system and software back to the factory out of the box state it was when new. Fortunately, I've only had it a few weeks so I didn't have a lot installed on it yet. But the problem ended up being with an internet security program that I installed called Malwarebytes instead of using the pre-installed trial version of Norton Internet Security 2011. I was told by a very tech savvy friend that Malwarebytes combined with Avast Antivirus offered better security and was less resource hungry than Norton was so I went with that instead. All was fine until I tried to use the WiDi. I had no idea that was causing all the trouble. And why should I? Netgear themselves said my computer was incompatible with their device. I guess that's their way of getting out of spending much time on the phone with tech support. Personally, I think they shot themselves in the foot on this one.

I'm raising my rating to 3 stars because the product is so good if you can get it to work (no thanks to Netgear!). But I'm refraining from giving it 5 stars because of Netgear's lack of support for their own product. You'd think they would want to find out why customer's are having problems so they can help other customer's faster in the future. That was the whole reason HP was willing to spend so much time with me. They said that this is "cutting edge" technology and if I was willing to spend the time, they would be sure to get my computer working properly and learn from this experience so that they could help other customer's in the future more quickly. Now that's customer support! Fortunately I had the time to spend with them. They even called me back a couple of hours later to make sure my computer was still running faultlessly. And it is. Thank you HP!

*****ADDITIONAL INFO*****

I tried watching a movie streamed from Netflix and the WiDi connection kept randomly disconnecting. So I searched the help files included with the WiDi app and it suggested changing my firewall settings by going into the "Allow a program through a Windows Firewall" settings. It was already allowing "MyWiFiDHCPDNS" and "WiDiapp" through. (I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS) So I clicked the "Change Settings" button and added "Intel(R) My WiFi Technology" and "Intel(R) Wireless Display" through as well. I have tested it up to 7 hours now and it has been completely stable the entire time so that seems to have fixed it. I made the mistake of upgrading to the latest software version 2.1.39.0 and I could no longer connect. So I had to go back to the factory out of the box condition and rebuild the computer back to the state it was in before I upgraded the WiDi software. The WiDi software version my computer came with from the factory is 2.0.30.0 and that seems to work best for this computer. There may have been an easier way to accomplish that, but I tried using system restore to get it back to that state and despite it restoring it back to the old version, the WiDi still would not connect. So since I hadn't really added anything much to the computer since the last re-install, I just bit the bullet and started over again. Now with everything back to factory condition and the firewall mods I mentioned, everything is working top notch. Hopefully it will stay that way.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 22, 2011
For the most part, the PTV2000 is easy to setup. Place the box at a location near your TV. Plug in the AC adapter into your PTV2000. Connect the HDMI wire into your TV and into your PTV2000. Turn the TV on and select the HDMI input channel. Turn the PTV2000 on by pushing the power button at the back of the box. Turn on your laptop, open the WIDI program, search for the adapter and connect. That's It! This is a step up from the PTV1000 because of 1080 resolution (makes a big difference than 720) and can play more media than the PTV1000 (such as protected original blu-rays). This wireless connection between your laptop and tv gives you both sound and picture and the laptop can be on another floor of the house so the connection is quite good.

Drawbacks:
1) If you get an error message about restarting your computer, then try turning off your firewall or firewalls if you have more than one (such as windows and norton). No need to restart your computer, just turn off firewalls and try again. I tried setting my firewall to allow this but couldn't figure it out. I have AVG security.
2) You cannot use this if you are using your dedicated video card. You must use Intel HD video. This is a major drawback because I tried watching a SC2 replay and because it forces me to switch back to Intel HD rather than using my dedicated video card, the replay lagged. So don't buy the PTV2000 hoping to play video games requiring a dedicated video card while transmitting it to the television because the WIDI program won't even start up until you switch back to intel HD video).

Because I watch streaming videos from the internet and play games and the PTV2000 only works for one of my purposes, I give this 4 stars though if I didn't play games I would give it 5 stars because it is really easy to use and is beautiful on TV. I didn't give it 3 stars because perhaps I should have read that it cannot be used with a dedicated video card but there isn't really a lot of information on this product on the netgear site (the netgear site still says Coming Soon, when are they doing to update that!)
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 18, 2011
We recently got a widi-enabled laptop and we purchased this adapter in order to be able to watch streaming movies on our TV as well as playing some computer games (not very heavy-duty ones). The bottom line is we are quite pleased, but there were some setup issues which I will detail first, in order to help people who ran into the same problems.

When we first set the controller up, the picture was very low quality (not HD) and the audio didn't work. The documentation was not very helpful and after trying everything we could think of, we called Netgear's support line. They were very nice and did their best to help us, and eventually after a reset to factory settings everthing seemed to work (HD quality picture and working audio). We used the device for a few hours (worked perfectly), and then because we don't have enough HDMI ports on our TV, we disconnected it in order to connect another device. Next time we connected it, we had the same problem: no audio, no HD, didn't work until we did a factory reset. This repeated itself a few times, but we have now figured out what the issue is:
If you turn on the PTV while the HDMI cable is disconnected from the TV, or if you disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV while the PTV is on, then it will have trouble both recognizing that the TV is HD and have trouble with the audio, and will not properly recognize these unless you do a factory reset.
So, before the first setup, FIRST connect the HDMI cable, THEN turn on the PTV. Then if you want to disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV, make sure that the PTV is OFF before you disconnect the cable, and that it stays OFF until you have reconnected. Doing things in this order appears to have completely solved the technical problems for us.

So, now that we've dealt with that annoying issue, on to the actual review:

Once it connected, the PTV seems to work almost flawlessly. We were able to stream things from HULU and Amazon-direct without any difficulty and in very high quality (the only choppiness that occured was a result of the internet connection downloading the movies, not the WiDi connection). I especially liked the WiDi widget (downloadable from Intel's website), which allows you to stream one application to your TV in fullscreen, while still using your computer for other applications (so I was able to watch a TV show from Amazon in fullscreen HD on my TV, while at the same time using my laptop to check my email, chat etc., without these coming up on the TV).

When we played a computer game (Secret Files 2), there was some flickering until we changed the game's graphic settings to a lower refresh rate (40 instead of 60). Since then, the game has worked perfectly.

So far, in about 15 hours of use, the WiDi connection got disconnected twice, both times because Windows had some urgent message (so not because of a problem with the WiDi itself). This seems reasonable to us, as it is very easy to reconnect.

So, bottom line, the setup difficulties were a bit annoying, but now that we have figured them out, we hope they won't bother us any longer.
The product itself is great: we've really been enjoying being able to watch shows and movies as well as play computer games on our widescreen TV without sending annoying wiring across our livingroom. The video quality and sound quality have been absolutely great. So, overall, we are very pleased with this product, but it would have been nice to avoid the technical issues initially.

UPDATE (July 2012): Again, just to help people who may be having some problems - over the past few months we had some technical issues with this product - the sound and HD refused to work frequently and we often had to plug and unplug the cable a few times to get it to work. Then we suddenly hit on the idea to try a different HDMI cable (duh!) and since then it has been working flawlessly. Just thought this may be helpful to people.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 26, 2011
Verified Purchase
Netgear PUSH2TV HD PTV2000 1080P Adapter for Wireless DisplayThis adapter works well, and is fairly easy to install. Anything I can see on my laptop -- videos, slide shows, or whatever -- I can now see on my HDTV, using a wireless connection. The adapter itself is tiny, and an HDMI connection to my HDTV gives me both picture and sound very easily. Two warnings about this box are appropriate, though. First, it's designed to be turned on for a maximum of four hours at a time, not continuously like the Roku Streaming Player. Be sure to place the PTV2000 where the power switch on the back is readily accessible. Second, to get full 1080P display on your HDTV screen, your laptop display must be capable of full 1080P display. My laptop isn't, and when I tried to set up the PTV2000 for a 1080P display, all I got was a blue screen on my HDTV. Still, a 720P display on my large HDTV screen is quite acceptable.
on June 1, 2013
This product needs a firmware upgrade in order to make it work with windows 8. I have a dell inspiron 5520 laptop. Problem is you can't upgrade the firmware without first connecting it with windows 8. So you'll need another laptop with windows 7 in order it to connect to the device and upgrade the firmware or you can do the following which I found out myself without using the separate laptop ;)
1) You'll need to uninstall your current 'Intel PROset/Wireless Wifi software' and replace it with an older version 15.2.0.19 which is actually for windows 7 (64 bit ver idk if 32 bit will work). Yes, you'll have to install win 7 driver in win 8. Thats the trick. Use the following link. [...]
2)Then install 'Intel WiDi software' version 3.0.13.0 and then widi software will say that the upgrade of the firmware is available. After upgrade, you should be able to connect to the device
The picture looks good and there's slight lag but thats to be expected. This baby can also do triple monitor extended mode which is nice cool feature I really liked. I've not tried the latest wifi driver and widi software after the firmware upgrade. But will probably work.

UPDATE: 7/4/2013
I tried the latest intel display, wifi and widi driver after updating the firmware, but the device failed to connect. Had to go back to the older drivers to make it work again in Windows 8. It seems the problem is with windows 8. I frankly do not like windows 8 because its incompatible with so many programs that I need to use. So I decided to scrap windows 8, and went back to windows 7. Now, this adapter works well with all the latest drivers from intel (graphics, wifi, and widi) and I also saw noticeable decrease in lag, so much so that its now possible to type in the TV screen without much hassle. Also found out recently that this product supports 5.1 channel audio so if you have a surround sound speakers hooked up to your TV, this thing should be able to make use of that essentially providing surround sound for your laptop as a consequence. Haven't tried it but thinking of doing so soon. Might update it in the near future. This would have been a great product if the manufacturers had done their homework with regards to drivers, firmwares and compatibility issues, instead of having customers deal with such annoyances. Anyway, my 4 star rating still holds.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 11, 2011
Verified Purchase
I bought this to work with a Dell Inspiron laptop. The setup was very easy, took about 5 minutes. Streaming video quality really is pretty good. Although if you compare netflix on an xbox or ps3, those consoles generally look a bit better. I haven't really tested for full surround sound. I can take my laptop in another room and it will still look fine on the tv. Occasionally this does lose connection, or the computer takes multiple scans to find the Push2TV. That is the only negative I have noticed so far. I'm not even sure if there's another product that does this. Definitely a thumbs up.

Follow up on this after a month or so. It does disconnect fairly regularly, but only once and usually within the first 15 minutes. After that, it stays connected. Some critical updates I installed broke up my intel WiDi. I uninstalled then and that resolved the issue. The audio is limited to 2 channel stereo and not very good quality over all. I still would recommend the product overall.
on May 13, 2011
I got mine from Best Buy. As long as you meet the hardware requirements, it's purely plug and play. I went ahead and updated my computer's Wi-Di software and I recommend you do that first. Then the PTV-2000 also updated to the latest firmware. Totally satisfied. I'm glad I waited for PTV-2000!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 24, 2011
Verified Purchase
When I was looking at options to browse internet and watch video streaming, I stumbled upon the new WiDi interface from Intel. I decided to buy a PC that supports this interface and see how it works. I ended up buying a Sony Vaio and to my utter surprise this has become a great tool to stream video from my PC to the TV.
After doing some research on products that connect to the TV over the HDMI interface, I narrowed down on the Netgear device. I have had mixed results in the past with Netgear products and was not sure they would have a good quality product for a relatively new interface.
After several months of use, I am happy to report that the Netgear adapter has worked flawlessly and has been a boon for streaming media, browsing the internet on the TV and for quickly showing off pictures and video to friends.

The only issue I have noted is that there is a perceptible delay between the PC display and the TV display but this is not very material since one will be watching the TV and not switch back and forth between the TV and the laptop.

While there are so many choices for media streaming such as Roku, PS3 and other media servers, each one has its own drawbacks. WiDi allows you to stream from a PC which means you can do anything on the PC and just use the TV for display.
on February 2, 2012
Verified Purchase
My new HP Laptop is not on the list of compatible Laptops but I took a chance. Out of box, easy set up. I did not update as recommended. My HP connected first try. My HP suggested a WIDI software update but I did not update since it was working perfect. My HP connects every time and I get a perfect Hi Def picture and sound every time. I saw that some people who updated firmware and software as recommended then had problems. I recommend if it works out of the box, don't update it.
on December 22, 2011
Verified Purchase
This one is great, as it throws both audio and video wirelessly to my HDTV!

Unlike a few other customer reviews that I saw, this was very easy to setup for me. It took about 5 to 10 minutes from the time I opened the box to having this up and running.

The laptop that I am using with this is a HP Pavilion dv7t Quad Ed.

It was a very easy setup. I just plugged in the HDMI cable that this came with, to my TV and this box, plugged in the power cable and turned it on.

From my laptop, I opened the WiDi application and did an "Add device". This device showed up. I selected this one, and as soon as I selected this, on my TV, it showed a 4 digit code that I had to enter on my laptop.

Then my anti-virus (MCAFEE total protection) gave a popup asked to "allow access" to the firewall. I selected "always allow access", and that's all. I could see my computer display on my 46inch Samsung TV at 1080 resolution.

I also liked the feature which allowed me to choose the resolution size according to my convenience.

I then googled "Intel widi widget download" and it took me to the Widi widget download page, and I installed it from there.

Then on, I could use my TV screen as a second screen wirelessly and use my laptop screen separately on its own.

I would definitely recommend this as a buy.

PLEASE NOTE: Your laptop should have Intel Widi display feature for this to work.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations