4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, with only one minor flaw.
If you're looking for an affordable gigabit switch that doesn't suffer from strange auto-negotiation (speed/duplex) problems, this switch is for you.

Published on February 26, 2007 by Jeremy Chadwick

1.0 out of 5 stars 7 months old paper weight
Published on July 17, 2007 by George W. Carrillo

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, with only one minor flaw., February 26, 2007
Jeremy Chadwick (Mountain View, CA, US) - See all my reviews

This product is easily superior to the Netgear GS605, which may appear identical in functionality, but in actuality is not. The GS605 behaves very badly when it comes to speed and duplex auto-negotiation, resulting in incorrect speed being negotiated with Marvell, some nVidia, and some Broadcom PHYs. The GS105 does not suffer from these problems, proving the hardware in the GS105 differs from that of the GS605.

The GS105 also has an incredibly small AC adapter; it's no where near "brick" size. However, on a power strip that has AC outlets next to one another (horizontal, not vertical), this product will probably block the AC outlet next to the one you install it in. This won't happen with vertically-oriented power strips. Just a FYI...

The reason I ranked this product 4/5 stars is because of temperature -- the GS105 runs incredibly warm (borderline hot) for such a small device. Other users have reported the same issue. It's a minor drawback, but is worth noting for others who may wonder the same question.

If the temperature is a big concern, consider purchasing a Hawking Technologies HGS5T, which is identical in functionality to this product, runs much cooler, but has a larger footprint, and a "brick" AC adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT'S SMALL!, August 24, 2007
I think this was the smallest gig switch I could find, so I bought it. I've owned several other Netgear switches and have really liked them. This one is no different - works as advertised straight out of the box, although a bit warm as many have mentioned (a Netgear feature). All ports are on one side, and I like the fact that it has mounting holes and hardware that permit you to hang it out of sight so all that cable mess can stay off the top of the desk. Mounted with the ports facing down, all cables come up into the box neatly so I didn't experience any cabling issues as some have mentioned. Two thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Performed as Promised, May 15, 2008
This review is from: Netgear JGS516 ProSafe 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (Personal Computers)
This is a boring category - especially for a small business with only moderate networking requirements.

I needed a short depth form factor to fit into a rack mount system. This device fit.

I wanted 1 GBPS to maximize desktop to NAS backup. This unit delivered. I can max out the link using Norton Ghost to DLink NAS from my Dell desktop. There was no performance degradation from adding 100MB and 10MB devices to the switch (there isn't a lot of traffic on the network).

So, it simply delivered on all needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but noisy, March 12, 2010
Here's my story. I used to have (note past tense) pretty much all Linksys gear in my home. Router, switches, print servers, etc. Over a half-dozen devices because our condo is wired like an office with network drops everywhere.

All of a sudden in the span of about 6 months, one-by-one most of the devices just died. They had power, but simply would not pass network traffic. I wrote to Linksys and basically said, "Here's my situation, meet me half-way, do something, anything to keep my business." They never replied. So I began a quest to look into a new switch for my home office. I decided I wanted a 16 port model because I might max out an 8 port unit.

I noticed that the "ProSafe" line from Netgear comes with a lifetime warranty and 24/7 technical support (although how much support can one need for an auto-sensing switch, assuming it's actually working.) So I gravitated toward that line of products. Then looking at the comparison charts I was trying to determine the difference between the mid-level "GS" series and their top-of-the-line "JGS" series switches.

There is only one: The JGS models have a built-in power supply. Meaning, no "brick," just a standard 3-prong power cord.

Sold!

My only complaint (and it is significant): The little fan inside this monster is quite noisy. Almost as loud a standard desktop PC, which uses a much larger power supply and fan. Mind you it does not sound "cheap." It sounds like a quality fan and power supply. It quite simply needs a little better ventilation and Netgear needs to invest that whopping extra 2 bucks on a higher grade fan that it is truly whisper quiet.

So in summary, fine for a network closet or an open area with a few people an other things that make modest constant noise, but think about it a bit if it will be in a "quiet" office setting. With quieter operation, it would easily earn 5 stars in my book.

1.0 out of 5 stars 7 months old paper weight, July 17, 2007
Im with Bjorn, after 2 weeks of use i noticed that i had to unplug the thing after 72hrs of use. Now after 7 months i have 8 dead ports. I have always trusted Netgear, but the last 3 items i have bought from them have failed in less than a year. I don't mind tossing paper cups, i don't expect them to last very long, but swithches and routers, i expect to at least get 3 years out of them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not "meant to be plugged in all day", January 16, 2007
Ask BjÝrn Hansen (Los Angeles, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
Netgear is supposed to have a 5 year warranty (2 on the power supply). I had one of these for about 18 months. Over the last months it's been increasingly flaky, every week or two it just hangs and needs to be unplugged and started again. It doesn't matter how much it's in use (it's done it when we've been on vacation with minimal network traffic).

I called Netgear to get it replaced, but they told me that it's not meant to be plugged in all day, so they won't fix it. Unless you actually unplug all your network equipement when you are not actively using it (I didn't think so), then I highly recommend avoiding Netgear products.

*Update* I called later again and got to someone from a different call center and they actually sent me a replacement. I actually forgot if I stopped using it because I just didn't trust the thing or if it broke again. Hopefully/maybe several years later (the original review was written in January 2007) the product is better, but from the reviews it's not clear that they are.

It's hard to get low-port-number and no-fan switches of good quality, but I have had much better luck with the HP Procurve 1810G-8 switches I have. HP also makes 16-port versions that I believe don't have fans that are more comparable to this Netgear (no management features, vlans, etc) -- for example HP Procurve 1410-16G. I've used those in the data center a few times when needing a cheap unmanaged reliable switch and it's what I'd get at home if I needed a 16-port switch again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, reliable, and noisy, December 19, 2007
This switch is solidly built and hasn't had any problems in the year or so it's been installed. Gigabit is a huge improvement over 100Mbit, and with this 24 port switch I was able to put enough network drops in each room that I didn't need desktop switches. The auto-uplink feature means you don't need to worry about crossover cables, or which port you've plugged your router in to. And since it's automatic, there's no button on the front of the switch that takes down the network.

The lack of a wall wart is nice. This switch has an internal power supply, and uses a standard IEC 320 connector (the same connector that's on most computer's power supplies). However, it does have two relatively noisy fans. These run all the time, and make more sound than your average desktop machine. If you want to replace them, you'll need two 5V 40x10mm fans and a philips head screwdriver. I replaced the fans in mine and have not had any trouble with overheating before or since, but I am not currently using all the ports on this switch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear Network Switch, July 10, 2009
mbw (Rockville, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This product is a no brainer. Plug it in, attach your network components and you're done. Works with my two workstations, wall jack for intermittent notebook use, my Wii, my Verizon Hub and modem, addt'l downstream switches of different manufacture, network storage, you name it.

REALLY wanted to try the Cisco/Linksys product since that is what I have for other network products but after repeatedly reading negative reviews concerning longevity, I went with Netgear. Have had it about 2 months now so I really can't offer an opinion on Netgear's reliablility but the existing reviews were far better than the competition.

I have mine located in a downstairs office where ambient temp is always in the low 70s. I can barely hear the fan when I am sitting next to it on one of the work stations. In any other similar location, I would not consider fan noise to be an issue.

---UPDATE 01 Oct 2010:

Have had it over a year now and have had NO issues, still works after power outages, spikes, surges, you name it. Boots right up and stays up...until the power goes out again (sigh).

---UPDATE 28 May 2011:

Flawless. I'm not holding my breath any more. Giving every impression it'll outlast me.

---UPDATE 04 Dec 2011:

Still going strong....no glitches...power outages don't phase it.

---UPDATE 03 Sept 2012

STIll going strong. Two more power outages and keeps on ticking. Forgot to mention, during the outages, I run a 6.5kw generator which does seem to phase some things like UPS's but I unplug this item from the UPS and plug it straight into the outlet powered by the generator. No problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Switch vs. Hub, July 1, 2008
I had a 5-port HUB (using 3 of them) across the room from my main system. When transferring files I got a steady stream of collisions. Really slowed down the transfer due to all the retransmissions.

The SWITCH was truly Plug & Play. Plugged everything in and it worked. It did all the address look-up and handshaking without human involvement. File transfers now run at full speed with no collisions.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan Noise Is Not a Problem, November 3, 2009
Y. Owusu "sikanua" (Union City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This product is excellent for what its intended to do - unmanaged gigabit switch. Because others have appropiately covered the product's technical merits, I wish to focus on the issue of fan noise, which I think has been exargerated by some reviewers. I have had my product on continuously now for over 2 weeks - the noise is more a quiet gentle humming noise that stays on continuously - guite pleasant, actually. I have my switch installed in my walkin closet, which is adjacent to my bedroom. I can only hear the humming noise inside the walkin closet but not in the adjacent bedroom, and would not mind if my bed were any closer to the switch - this is really a gentle noise. My switch handles 6 IP cameras, 4 computers, 1 xbox game, the router and other network accessories - I am using all but one port. I am glad I did not downgrade to a lower model because of this exargerated noise issue noted by a few reviewers. I recommend this product, if you need that many ports as I did.

Netgear JGS516 ProSafe 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch