on January 11, 2012
Updated***

4-11-13
Short and Sweet - NETGEAR SUPPORT IS HORRIBLE. The hardware is very good. The firmware has it's ups and downs. It's very stable but some things are broken (USB 3.0 support) and overly complicated(photo app that requires you to login to Netgear's servers to access your own server).

If you want a quick and easy NAS for local backups(Mac TimeMachine users beware)or file sharing it does the job well. If you're a power user you can get much more mileage out of this. It's a Debian Linux based server. If you want to use USB 3.0 devices, the built-in photo sharing server/service, are in need of a print server or a web server you're better off going with another device unless you are a power user. When I say power user I mean someone who understands the linux shell or who has excellent reading comprehension and plenty of time on their hands to get those things running.

I've had zero hardware failures. This thing is incredibly stable. Knock another $30 off the price and it would be great for a computer science major's dorm room or apartment (as long as they use Windows.)

I originally wrote that if you wanted something to work out of the box this wasn't the NAS for you. This NAS could work out of the box for you depending on your needs. I still can't give it any more than 1 star because you just cannot rely on any customer support from Netgear. The forums they provide have great power users and engineers who may or may not try to help you. You have the option of paying for support after the initial support period ends but I can't recommend paying for the privilege of being lied to or left with unresolved help desk tickets. Great hardware with no reliable support is going to add up to 1 star for most end-users. With all the incredible competition going on at this end of the market you're definitely better off going with Drobo or Synology.

Tip for powerusers - install CUPS and it can be a print server via the USB port. (Google the device name and CUPS to find instructions.)

--------------
--------------
Original Review

This is going to sound harsh but if you want something that works out of the box don't buy this NAS.

I bought this unit for its USB 3.0 ports since I just bought 4 2TB Seagate drives at a great price. The USB 3.0 ports and the prior version's available software are the only things that set it apart from other similar soho NAS devices on the market at this price range. The ability to backup my Macbook Pro to the Duo V2 was also appealing.

Right away I had problems getting the unit to see a USB 3.0 hub or any of the USB 3.0 Seagate drives. After installing one of the 2 apps available, SSH support, I reviewed the logs and dmesg and see that this device has an old kernel and from the errors displayed it doesn't likely have any of the USB 3.0 XHCI patches that have come out since May 2011 which resolve problems with the NEC USB 3.0 controller that's onboard.

I discovered the following after watching the system while attempting to attach various USB 3.0 devices:
After unboxing or a factory reset it will not successfully connect to any USB 3.0 device until the unit has been power cycled minimum 5 times. (Don't ask me why. Similar behavior can be seen with the NEC controller this unit has, the xhci_hcd driver and various linux distributions. The DUO V2 uses a custome debian OS.)
After at least 5 power cycles the system will successfully load the xhci_hcd driver as long as the USB 3.0 device isn't connected while the system is coming up.
The DUO V2 won't ever see any USB 3.0 device after a reboot. You have to power cycle it. (Forget about using that neat little web admin page to reboot this NAS while you're away from home.)

I used the ReadyNas forums and logged tickets and there is very little support for this product. There wasn't even a web page for this device on Netgear's website. The excuses are that it just came out in November. That is a pretty poor excuse. I still haven't had a response from their Tech Support folks.

Once I figured out how to get USB3.0 up and running I got some great speeds. The average read/write to Seagate Expansion 2TB drives were more than 50MB/s. I ran into some more problems with USB 3.0 support and couldn't justify spending anymore time on troubleshooting the DUO V2 so I added a USB 3.0 controller to an Intel SS4200E I have and I'm now trouble free.
USB 2.0 (EHCI) support has been problem free.

*BTW there is no HCL for external drives that work with the DUO V2. There is a link on the Netgear site but it takes you to a ReadyNAS forum that has no information about the DUO V2.

Another problem you guys might run into is all the great apps you see with the previous version of the DUO. They don't exist for the V2. They changed processors for the V2 and those apps aren't compatible with this unit. I spent a bit of time on the forums and couldn't find build tools so I could compile my own. Right now there are 3 apps available - ReadyNAS Remote, ReadyNas Photos(may be spelled wrong- its some photo website junk) and a SSH app. It has a builtin DLNA server that is decent if you have a compatible device. My Bravia tv can show pics and play music from the server but it can't play video. That is due to Sony's botched implementation of the DLNA standard they helped design so no fault with Netgear there.

With those big issues you'd think I would have sent this back to Amazon. I didn't. I kept it for dedicated backups of the various laptops and another NAS. It works great with my Time Machine backups. [One thing to note is that there is an issue with non-Time Capsule networked Time Machine backups on Lion. A quick look at the Apple support forums will show you what I mean. I was able to backup a few times and then nothing. It stopped being able to see the ReadyNAS. Right after this my Lion install became pretty hosed and I went back to Snow Leopard and Time Machine (and other things) runs perfectly.]
I guess that I'm halfway hoping that the firmware updates and software will eventually come out for this thing. If you need a NAS that can run apps like Subsonic, Twonky, Apache or really anything besides SSH, AFP and Samba, don't buy this, you will regret it. Buy the previous version - there are tons of apps out there for it and a lot of support. When it comes to support for the V2... I bought it in early December. I posted over a week or two in early December to Netgear's ReadyNAS forums that their staff post on regularly. I also filed a trouble ticket at the same time. Two "Jedis" responded to me in clueless fashion(without reading the post title, etc.) 3 weeks later. A few knowledgeable folks in the user community did attempt to help but there wasn't anything they could do. (They couldn't point me to build tools so I could compile my own kernel with newer XHCI drivers.)

Summary

Pros - Decent specs. Apple Time Machine support. DLNA server built-in.
Cons - Horrible support. USB 3.0 device support is very bad. No apps available yet.

I see a ton of potential in this NAS but I am unable to tap into much of it. I think most users, especially non-tech folks, will be better served by other products in this segment of the NAS market.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Update 2-14-12

Over the past few months a few things have happened and most of them are bad. The good part is that none of them are directly related to the Duo v2 hardware. The backup software that this is supposed to come with - Memeo - is not included. Don't try to call support unless you're a serious glutton for punishment. I spent a few hours on the phone trying to find out how to get the software, including about an hour tonight, and it was something to behold. I've never in my life dealt with a worse tech support team than Netgear's. That's including 15 years in IT as an engineer and a manager. Every single person(out of 8 total) I spoke to at Netgear tonight lied to me and didn't know basic information about the product they are supposed to be supporting. Almost all of them refused to perform basic functions of their jobs - creating trouble tickets/cases and escalation of cases. As a help desk operation, they are a complete failure. After 70 minutes of nonsense I still have no Memeo software.

Some good news is that after getting enough time to read a bit of the ReadyNas forums, I see apt-get is now on the system. So there are tons of apps available via the Debian arm repositories. Just look up apt-get if you aren't familiar with it. It's pretty simple to use.

My USB 3.0 problems still haven't been addressed.

Although I still believe in this device, especially with apt-get available, I have absolutely no faith in Netgear as a company anymore. I don't see how they can possibly have such a horrible support team unless they are falling apart internally as a business. I probably won't buy any Netgear product ever again after this experience. I'd suggest thinking very carefully before buying the v2 because if you ever need support or an rma you're going to be in for a world of hurt. That 3 year warranty isn't looking as good to me now as it did when I put the Duo v2 in my Amazon cart.

***********FYI - Be careful if you do purchase the V2. It seems that Netgear wrongly packaged and labeled some V1's as V2's. The admin page should still display that it is a V1 though. The V1 doesn't have an arm processor or USB 3.0 so that's an easy way to tell too.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 30, 2012
Everything started out fine. Unboxed it. Marvelled at it's small size. Installed my two sata disks. Installed the software on my laptop. Fired it up and began configuring. It took a couple of hours for the new drives to sync, that's to be expected.

Afterwards I began setting some of the power options. There's an area to set it to sleep during certain hours. I chose to have it sleep from 12am to 8am. It sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

The problem is with the default firmware v5.3.3 it will NEVER wake-up. Pressing the power and reset does nothing. Unplugging and replugging does nothing. You have two options, either send it back or disassemble the unit to remove the motherboard battery. The entire operation involved about 10 screws, and the removing of 3 circuit boards to get to the battery. After that it started up again. I immediately unchecked the sleep mode option. This took about an hour to do.

It took quite a bit of digging to find this solution, and the firmware update to fix this bug was only just released in 3/2012.

Lastly. I hoped for better "media serving" capabilities, but as with all things PC, the uPnP and DLNA features are weak.

So for now it just small quiet network storage for me.

update...

I struggled for a while with the storage disappearing from the network. I was unable to view or use any of the folders. It would come back after a reboot. I never knew what caused it.

Netgear released another update which seemed to fix that issue too. It has been stable for over a month. I'm moving more files to it now that it has seemed to stablize.
VINE VOICEon August 25, 2012
Style: ReadyNAS Duo, 2TB (2 x 1TB)Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In reading the reviews here, you'd probably think that the Netgear ReadyNAS Duo v2 is a piece of junk - and quite honestly, even I thought the same. Thankfully, things could not be any more incorrect - the RND2210 is a rock solid NAS.

But first some background - I run a house full of Netgear equipment. From routers, to a duo of Readynas Ultra 2 Plus units syncing to each other. I've set up several of the ReadyNAS units, going all the way back to when they were sold by Infrant.

The Duo v2 looks exactly the same as my (more expensive) Ultra 2 plus, and that brings me to my first complaint about these units - the naming is pathetic. At my local Fry's store, they stock all the different ReadyNAS units, and unless you spend a week researching, you won't have a clue what all the differences are. Some run Atom, some Marvell, some are USB 2.0 only, others have USB 3.0.

The names don't make things much easier either - who is supposed to know the actual differences between the ReadyNAS DUO V2 and the ReadyNAS Ultra V2?

OK - on to the setup. I already have Raidiator on my PC - this is the software used to detect and configure these units. It instantly found the new device, and detected the drives. Within a few minutes, I had my system up and running.

Test 1 - copy media files to one of the shares and stream to my Google TV unit.

This test went as should be expected - perfectly, and just as well, because this is the most basic thing you should expect from a NAS. File copies to the unit were done at 60MB/s - very snappy for a NAS (Gigabit, Jumbo frames off an SSD equipped desktop). Similar copies OFF the unit went at a staggering 112MB/s.

Streaming was no issue, except for trying to stream to my xbox, but that was because of the lousy codec support from Microsoft.

Test 2 - use the unit as a backup for my other ReadyNAS

I tried this with two systems - rsync and copy to a regular NFS share. Both times it worked flawlessly. That said, I did run into several failed backups because of file rights issues, but thankfully both units have options to restore file rights and fix these issues.

Test 3 - adding external USB 3.0 drives

Because of all the reviews mentioning USB 3.0 issues, I tested my system with one external USB 3.0 drive (a Seagate GoFlex Desk). Once again, I did the file copies, and saw similarly speedy transfers. I also tried copying really large amounts of data (3TB between the NAS and my desktop, and back again). In all tests, the copies completed without any disconnects.

Finally, I used the external 3TB as a backup for the 2x1TB X-Raid setup in the ReadyNAS, and for the past four nights, it has backed up with zero errors.

I really don't want to claim that the reviews previously posted here are wrong - because I know for a fact that Netgear HAS send out some bad firmwares in the past, and I know that their technical support is mostly community driven, but the CURRENT (August 2012) version of this unit is flawless.

That said - I still don't think that these are made for the everyday cookie cutter family - they do require some basic knowledge of networking, and if you buy one without drives, they are still very tricky to set up (a combination of button presses on the front), but for someone looking for an affordable NAS with a lot of features, I'd still put my money on ReadyNAS any time. They are (IMHO) better than a Windows Home Server (especially since Microsoft has now abandoned the product) and they are certainly better than some of the cheaper units from D-Link and Pogo.

This is a reliable product, at an amazing price. If you happen to catch this at the mid $150 mark, you'll have yourself one hell of a deal with some brilliant features - DLNA server, photo server, Tivo server, backups automated, remote access and more.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon January 18, 2013
I have been using the Netgear ReadyNAS Duo v2 for several months now and I have been really impressed. As advertised, the device is small and very quiet and offers redundant storage.

In the box you will find the NAS box, a CAT5e cable, additional mounting screws and the power cable. There is also a resource CD with the RAIDiator software. The ReadyNAS Duo that I received included two Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB drives already installed. The ReadyNas has two USB 3.0 ports at the back as well as the network adapter and a slot for a lock. The front of the device shows the lights which indicate that the drives are being accessed, the ReadyNAS is on and the ReadyNAS is connected to a network. There is also a backup button and a USB slot. The disk drives are easily removable from the device.

There is the option of purchasing just the NAS itself without drives. One thing to be aware of if you choose this option is that you can only use one of the preapproved drives from the list found on the Netgear ReadyNAS website. There is a forum on the Netgear ReadyNAS website about the use of drives that are not on the approved list. However, you do so at your own risk. The users manual for the ReadyNAS Duo states that they do not have to give you support if you run into problems due to using drives which are not on the preapproved list.

The included software is very slick and shows the IP address, as well as the internal temperature of the drives, the fan speed of the device and the status of the drives. You can also see the SMART information for each drive. One of the reasons why I highly recommend the ReadyNAS Duo is reliability. I also own the earlier version of this product into which I installed two Seagate 1 TB drives. Within a week of installing the drives, I began getting warnings from the ReadyNAS Duo that one of my hard drives was already having problems and should be replaced immediately because it would fail. I find a great deal of comfort knowing that the ReadyNAS Duo will alert me to potential drive failures before they happen.

The software also allows you to configure the ReadyNAS Duo. You can specify the device name so that it is easily recognized on the Network. Other options include:
- setting up email alerts if there is a disk failure
- set up user accounts
- create backup jobs
- setting up passwords
- configuring the ReadyNAS to shut down or power up at a certain time or when there is no activity.

The ReadyNAS Duo can be configured for ReadyNAS X-RAID2, JBOD, RAID 0 or RAID 1. X-RAID2 is the Netgear RAID system. JBOD provides "just a bund of discs" or in other words, each disk is independent. RAID 0 provides no redundancy but allows for a larger size storage device. RAID 1 provides redundancy.

If you plan to use the ReadyNAS in RAID 1 for redundancy, be aware that using RAID 1 is not going to protect your data if there is a fire or the ReadyNAS Duo is stolen. Therefore, I also have an external USB connected drive which I keep offsite. The USB drive can plug directly into the ReadyNAS Duo for scheduled backups. However, I have found that it can be faster to just connect the ReadyNAS and my backup device directly to my computer and then back up that way through the laptop.

I have used the ReadyNAS Duo in two configurations on my network. The first is connecting the ReadyNAS Duo to the Ethernet port of my computer so that I can use it as dedicated, redundant storage device for my photographs. This configuration should take advantage of the Gigabit Ethernet connection for fast transfer speeds. However, I have actually found the transfer speeds to be a bit disappointing as the maximum speed is never achieved.

I have also used a ReadyNAS Duo on the network. The setup included giving the NAS a name so that it was easily identifiable on the network. I then connected the NAS to my home network by plugging it into my wireless router. Within a few minutes of turning on the NAS, I could see a network called "workgroup" under Microsoft Windows Network in the My Network Places. Only one of my computers had the ReadyNAS software installed, but all of the computers could see the NAS and could easily send and receive files from it. Setup couldn't have been easier.

One other thing to think about if you are a photographer who uses Adobe Lightroom is that Lightroom does not allow you to put cataloge on a network drive. This is an issue with how Lightroom has to pull previews from the catalog folders on the network drive and slow networks are not fast enough to support this. If you want to keep your catalogs on a drive, you may want to consider a different enclosure that supports USB 3.0.

Overall, I have been very pleased with the ReadyNAS Duo as a redundant storage device both dedicated to one computer or on a network. It offers reliable, redundant storage and is easy to setup.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
ReadyNAS Duo is my very first experience with my own server. It's designed for the home user. "Complete set-up in less than 8 clicks ," it advertises. I thought this one was the one for me.

SETUP

It turns out setup was more difficult than I expected. The first steps were easy. I just had to plug it into an outlet and attach it to my gateway.

The instructions directed me to pop in the CD and there would be a wizard. No wizard appeared. I was on my own. I had to read through the manual, but it still left me confused as to how I was to proceed. Slowly but surely, I made my way.

The photo sharing application was easy enough to find. What I wanted was Memeo, the backup software. Online, there was a link to the software. I downloaded the software to find that I have a 31 day trial.

ReadyNAS Remote, the software for accessing my files remotely, was hidden away. I downloaded it from their site before I found it on the ReadyNAS screen.

MEMEO

First, let me detail my most frustrating experience. This server comes with one lifetime license for Memeo, the backup software. The software does not come preloaded on the server. It is not on the disc. I had to hunt for it on the web.

When I found it and downloaded it, it said I have a 31 day license. No activation code was included in my package.

I called Netgear. Not their problem, they say. Call Memeo.

I called Memeo. Voicemail only. Leave a message. I left a message. No response.

It was all too frustrating.

I did try the trial version. Backing up took all night and half the next day. It's painfully slow. Acronis backed up the same files in hours.

Netgear finally answered my email (took two days) asking if I downloaded the product and saying Memeo automatically recognizes the license when it's installed. Not. I wonder if they read my email. They also offered some possible explanations, like antivirus and such; but by then I had given up, uninstalled Memeo, and went with my Acronis True Image for backup.

PHOTOS II

Photo II requires that I drag and drop photos. I couldn't just direct the Photos II to the directory where I had already downloaded all my photos. Maybe there is a way, but it's not obvious. I did not want to drop so many photos into this thing and have a duplicate set of photos on my server, so I just stopped right there.

There is no Photos II app for iPhone that I could find. We have to upload to Photos II from our iPhone via email.

READYNAS REMOTE

ReadyNAS Remote is actually very useful. In order to use it, I downloaded the ReadyNAS Remote software (available online or in the iPhone App Store) onto my iPhone and my netbook. I can place files on the server, and someone with the software and the proper password can access them. Just remember to set permissions for the phones and other computers to be able to access the files.

PROS:
+ lots of memory (2 x 1 TB)
+ redundancy helps prevent data loss
+ small form factor (smaller than a toaster)
+ ReadyNAS Remote for sharing files remotely works

CONS:
- difficult to set up for the average Joe
- Memeo software needs to be downloaded from website (must hunt for it yourself)
- Memeo license activation code not included and it did not self-activate as promised
- poor product support for Memeo
- Photos II cannot be directed to look at a directory. Must drag and drop.
- no iPhone app for Photos II
- ReadyNAS Remote software is a hidden add-on on the server. Look for it.
- only two hard drive bays, already filled

CONCLUSION

I wouldn't recommend this server to a computer novice. If you expect plug and play, you won't get it. The eight click setup never happened for me. It took me at least a day to get comfortable.

Don't expect any support from Netgear for the add-ons. The support rep on the phone told me that much. Personally, I think that's not kosher. If it's advertised as part of the package, some support should be provided, or at least some responsibility for that support.

My Acronis True Image is working quite well with this server, and I'm happy for it. As extra backup protection for my photos and a place to drop files I wish to share, it's great. Just know what you're getting into before you buy.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 28, 2012
-----
Original 3-Star Review

I purchased this NAS with the intent of rearranging my backup scenario and using my existing USB 3.0 external HDDs at full speed over the network. Its turning out to be more work than I expected for the former, and impossible for the latter.

The Positive:

* Reasonable performance for the price.
* Fairly easy to configure, with share permissions that I found easier to configure than on prior ReadyNAS units.
* The default configuration supports data redundancy if two drives are installed (RAID 1 equivalent). For many users this is perfect. OTOH, its quite easy to configure for RAID 0 if backups will be kept and speed is more important than redundancy.

The Negative:

Previously, all add-ons (apps designed to be installed on and run by the NAS) were available for free. Netgear is not moving from these add-ons to so-called 'Genie Apps', where users have to pay for some of the exact same add-ons that used to be free (such as P2P utilities, or a front-end for the MySQL server already installed in the NAS so that you can use it for your own databases; The usual Netgear official extensions, so far, remain free, such as ReadyNAS Photos or ReadyNAS Remote.).

With the ReadyNAS Duo v2 and the ReadyNAS NV+ v2, Netgear is changing CPU architecture on their SOHO targeted NAS units from Sparc (used in the original Duo & NV/NV+) and x86 (used in the Ultra and Pro lines) to ARM. As these are a brand new line, I expect that Netgear will eventually squash the bugs, but until then, the unit fails to live up to the expectations of a prior ReadyNAS (x86) user.

Case and point, Internet Protocol (IP) support is currently limited to IPv4 as of firmware v5.3.7. The network configuration specifically identifies it as IPv4, so I expect that this will EVENTUALLY be corrected, but I'm not holding my breath.

With regards to USB 3.0 external HDDs, I have two existing 3 TB Western Digital units that are not recognized by the Duo v2 (but are recognized by other Netgear products). A little bit of research on the ReadyNAS forums turned up a posting that some USB 3 drives that have already been tested and are on the official Hardware Compatibility List do not work with the Duo v2 when 3 TB drives are used. This is especially frustrating, since my pair of external 3 TB drives would be the perfect compliment to the twin 3 TB HDDs that I'm running inside the Duo v2 with RAID 0.

With regards to USB printers, I wasn't planning to use this via the NAS because there's much better support on my router (Netgear N900 WNDR4500), but prior ReadyNAS units were able to act as print servers for USB printers. While researching my other issues on the official forums, I noticed that the ARM-based ReadyNAS only support storage via USB.

Conclusion:

I've been using an x86 ReadyNAS unit (Pro Business) for the past four years. I chose to stay with Netgear for this purchase because of my experience with that unit and the USB 3 ports on the Duo v2. I was, therefore, quite disappointed to learn that my existing USB 3 HDDs won't work with the Duo v2 because they're too big. This is the sort of problem that I'd expect when 3 TB drives were first introduced (as was the case with the x86 units - fixed in x86 firmware 4.2.16, April, 2011), not with a new product that is introduced after 3 TB drives have been on the market for over a year and a half.

----------

Updated to 1-Star: April 2, 2013

I didn't see the response from Netgear for several months after it was posted. When I followed up as they suggested, they checked their forums and found information that wasn't available when I first posted the review: they said that 3TB USB3 HDDs need to be reformatted on a PC before they'll work with the Duo v2.

In my experience, this was partially correct. I had to REPARTITION on a PC, using GPT (GUID Partition Table), delete the reserved partition created automatically by Win 7 on GPT drives, then create a new partition of the full size of the drive & format it before the Duo v2 would recognize the drive. This required two different tools: the Disk Manager GUI to create GPT instead of Master Boot Record (MBR) partitions, and then the command-line tool DISKPART to delete the reserved partition and create a new partition using the full capacity of the drive.

With that problem solved, I've run into additional trouble which Netgear Support is now trying to say is my fault: When you reboot the Duo v2, things disappear from the management interface.

I've had two different things disappear upon rebooting the system (on different reboots): a user account and an external HDD.

Just now as I type this, a level 3 Netgear Support Engineer has told me that the disappearing user account was caused by user error. This phantom user account no longer appears in the list of users in the management interface, but it can be used to access the system using the password I originally set up for the account, which I also can no longer change.

When the external HDD disappeared, I confirmed that the drive itself (one of the 3TB USB3 drives I referenced earlier) was still working. I had to reboot the Duo v2 (risking even more glitches) in order for the Duo v2 to recognize that drive again.

Updated Conclusion:

This NAS is not for the faint of heart or those with no prior NAS experience. The firmware has serious glicthes that manifest when the system is rebooted, so make absolutely sure that you attach it to a UPS in order to reduce the number of reboots due to power fluctuations, and expect problems when you do reboot.

-1 star needing to reformat new HDDs before they will work with the unit and for the reboot glitches; -1 star for support blaming a user for an error caused by rebooting the NAS.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Jacob,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write this extensive review. We are sorry that you are having problems. Please feel free to contact us directly at amazon@netgear.com with a copy and paste of your review as well as any additional information you'd like to add and we'll be in touch to help troubleshoot..

Regards,
NETGEAR Team
on February 12, 2012
If you're not a competent IT expert/programmer do not buy this product.
Further, although it may be "faster" do not assume it's an upgrade in terms of functionality from the Duo v1, it cannot act as an iTunes server (i.e. run firefly) nor will you be able to access your data from a remote computer via ftp (you will have to use their ReadyNas Remote add on which doesn't even work with idevices without installing a patch) I've wasted 2 weekends of my time trying to get this thing do do what I believed it could do from Netgear's product literature & various review websites, maybe it can in the future but I'm not going to wait, I'll be returning mine.
on July 14, 2013
This was easy to set up with 2 each 3TB drives in raid 1. Let it do it's thing, then just copies 600+ movies onto it. Let that run overnight. Works great with my WD TV LIVE units.
on July 13, 2013
I've owned my ReadyNas Duo v1 for 2 years, 4 months. It has always performed flawlessly. I use it for DLNA for my two WDTV Live units as well as for back-up and storage for my desktop and laptop. It just always works. I have had one drive to give fault errors about 1.5 years into service. Popped a new hard-drive in and it automatically started to rebuild. Configured as RAID 1 with two 2TB WD Green Drives.
on June 17, 2013
I love Netgear routers and now I respect them even more because compared to the WD NAS I use to have this is easier to setup. Best feature to me is that the NAS emails me when there is a update. I have 2 Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA III 64 MB Cache in it (just in case someone wants to know)

See 1 answered question