Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Capacity: N300|Change

on December 6, 2011
This unit does what it claims. I purchased one of these at Best Buy yesterday and hooked it up.

My modem/router is at the other end of my house so I turned on my iPad and my iPod and checked the signal in my front bedroom. I was getting only 1 out of three bars on both devices.

After I plugged in the Netgear wifi extender and set it up, which is very easy by the way, I was able to receive three out of three bars on both my iPad and my iPod in the exact same location where previously I could only obtain one out of three bars. So the extender does what it claims, it extends the range of your wireless router so that the signal you receive is "stronger" than it was before.

Now, here's the catch. When you route your wifi signal from your modem/router to the Netgear extender it will improve the signal strength as my results have proven from above. The problem is that the actual speed of the extended signal is SLOWER than the original signal from your modem/router!! This is very deceiving, perhaps unintentionally by Netgear. It even makes a stement in the manual for the Netgear extender that says something to the effect that you should only use the extender in situations when you have either no signal or one that is very poor as the actual data speed is slower when using the extender.

One of the main reasons that I bought this was to boost the wifi signal that my Sony Bravia TV receives for streaming Netflix movies. With my current modem/router setup I was receiving three out of five bars signal strength, 60%. When I accessed the Netgear extender my signal strength jumped up to five out of five bars, 100% signal strength, BUT the overall speed of that signal was 5 to 6 times slower and actually caused my Netflix streaming to buffer which never happens when I am just using my wifi connection without the Netgear extender.

So basically, if you are looking to increase the speed of your wifi signal to increase performance of things like Netflix, Blockbuster or other streaming media this extender is NOT the way to go for the reasons mentioned previously. Yes, it WILL increase your signal strength but it will NOT increase your speed but it will actually cause it to be slower.

So to sum it all up. Buy this and use this ONLY if you are not able to pick up a signal or have a very poor signal, one bar, and this will allow you to connect your wifi enabled devices. Do NOT buy this device with the expectation that it will increase or even use your current modem speed because it will NOT.
3636 comments|1,082 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2011
I have a Wireless N router (Linksys WRT160N V2) at one end of my house where my main Desktop PC is located. I bought a new laptop which i use 95% of the time at the other FAR end of my home and the signal i got was poor to fair.
I was looking to upgrade my signal quality to my bedroom as much as possible and purchased 3 different wireless N routers trying to accomplish this. None of them got any better range. I returned each router and then searched for Wireless N Range Extenders and came across this at Staples.
I wasn't too sure it would work but boy was i pleasantly surprised!

I bought it, took it home and had it installed in about 10 mins.
I placed it about half-way of my home and then went and connected my laptop and BAM! Excellent signal strength with 300.0 connection speed!
I am very happy with this product so far.

Highly recommended for those needing extended coverage of your current wireless setup.
review image
1313 comments|555 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2011
I have been pleasantly surprised with this extender. My WNDR3700 is in the basement next to a large metal work bench and under a lot of metal piping. All of this interference creates a deadzone on the other side of the first floor in the two bedrooms. The house is wired, but this is really annoying for iPads and laptops. I was considering running some longer CAT5e and putting the router in the middle of the basement on a wall, but I tried this extender first.

It's a much more expensive solution than $6/50' of CAT5e (monoprice.com), but I also wanted to extend the WiFi out into the backyard. I plugged the WN3000RP into the wall, waited for the green ready light, pressed the WPS button on the WNDR3700, held down the WPS button on the WN3000RP, and the connection was made. I had a new network named MySSID_EXT with the same security and passphrase.

I tested it out with INSSID on my laptop and my WiFi Analyzer app on my phone. I wandered the house checking the signals. In the bedroom I had a very weak signal from the router(or no signal)and an excellent signal from the extender. In the backyard, I had no signal from the router and a still excellent signal from the extender. Speed tests showed no real difference in speed, but Netgear says you should expect some reduction in speed. It could impact video streaming or file sharing, but I haven't noticed any issues.

I would really like to see an extender like this that supports 5Ghz, but 2.4 is just fine for what I needed. I also don't have a lot of other networks nearby.

The house is 1,700 sq. feet on the first floor and the extender provides a signal everywhere. The backyard is fairly small, but I can go about 75' to my patio and still have an excellent signal (that's about 140' from the extender through a wall. The extender is placed at the edge of the deadzone, as Netgear says it should be.
99 comments|550 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2012
I researched and read the reviews on this item before buying it from Amazon using my prime account. I was concerned about the number of people who stated the product stopped working or had to be reset after installation. However what I found out was that if you put the Range Finder too far away from your wireless router, then it would indeed stop finding the routers signal. I put the Range Extender too far away from the router at first and it did need to be reset because it lost my router's signal.
As soon as I placed the Netgear Range Extender BETWEEN my router and the distance I wanted the Range Extender to expand my wireless signal it worked perfectly. So my suggestion to those having to reset the signal on the Range Extender is to place the Extender closer to your wireless router, and then your signal will be strong and you will be able to use wireless devices at greater distances away from your router then you could before installing the Netgear Universal Range Extender.
I highly recommend this product, if installed correctly distance wise, it DOES extend your range for wireless devices in your house, and it is extremely easy to set up.
11 comment|200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2015
i must note, i received this unit free for testing and review purposes.
Super easy setup when pairing with a netgear router! paired with a AC1750 R6300v2

to setup;
1) plug extender into outlet NEAR router.
2) press WPS button on router for a few seconds, press WPS button on extender for a few seconds. - they will pair 5ghz band after a minute
3) press WPC button on router again for few seconds, press WPS button on extender again for few seconds - the 2ghz band will pair after a minute

you will not see your original wifi SSID "wifihome5Ghz" for example and a new "wifihome5Ghz_EXT". so if you have 2 SSIDS (1 for each band) you will now have 4 total SSID's.

4) now unplug the extender and move somewhere else in your house. a halfway point where it can still get a decent connection to the router.
5) done

This has helped in our house since our router is upstairs in the back of the house and we have PC's, gaming systems, tablets and phones being used in the downstairs front of the house.

i have attached a photo so you can get an idea of the performance from the device VS from the router. each reading was taken within a couple feet of each device when testing.

5Ghz band - Router = 125Mb down, 12Mb up, 24ms ping
2Ghz band - Router = 48Mb down, 12 Mb up, 16ms ping

5Ghz - Extender = 51Mb down, 12Mb up, 30ms ping
2Ghz - Extender = 12Mb down, 7Mb up, 28ms ping
review image
66 comments|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2015
Update 9/20/15:
Just for grins, I decided to see how much I could stress this thing and what would happen. I have 3 wired devices on it and it communicates wirelessly to a Netgear Nighthawk A6. I started various videos on each of them. I also started video on a chromecast, and 3 iPhones all at the same time, all conneced to this same extender. So the extender was playing Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, SkystreamX Genesis movie, 2 YouTube videos, and on the 3rd iPhone I ran a Ookla speed test and it showed 44mbs while playing 5 videos on other devices!! At the same time in a different part of the house we had a Gaming PC on WoW, a second wired PC running Ookla (90mbs) , and a second wired SkystreamX playing a movie in Show-Box. No buffering, no hesitation on any device. So 6 videos, 2 speed tests, and World of Warcraft all at the same time. The combination of this extender and the Netgear Nighthawk A6 (R8000) is down right ironclad and amazing.

The primary reason I ordered this extender was because of the wired Ethernet connection. In my bedroom I have a few devices that are older and only support a lower wireless bandwith or wired connection. I also ordered a small unmanaged wired switch so I can branch the Ethernet wire to multiple devices. The extender also gives the additional benefit of giving max wireless connectivity to every nook and cranny in my house and most of my yard now!

First based on some of the reviews I was a little scared about set up. I want to put those issues to rest with this review. I did not use the auto WPS set up, I prefer to use WPA2 manual setup. I pulled this device out of the box and followed the instructions exactly as on page 8 of the manual. First you plug this into a wall outlet, then set it into extender mode. The device broadcasts a temporary network used for setup. I plugged this in approximately 20 feet from my R8000 Netgear Nighhawk A6 router. I connected my laptop to the temporary network of the device as exactly specified in the instructions. I entered the website in the browser as instructed and it walked me through the entry of WPA2 passwords and the extension portion of the network. It took longer to open the box and find scissors to cut/ un-do the plastic than it did to set up the device in Extender mode. If you are worried about set up based on other reviews: DON'T there is NO Issue!!!

Performance: I already have a Netgear Nighthawk A6 (R8000) Wireless router in place and that covered my house completely and the right side of my yard for about 150ft distance. Now with the extender, every part of my house and left side of my yard has wireless coverage. I did a final locate of the extender at the opposite end of my house, approximately 55ft. The 5Ghz connection between the router and the extender is 868mbps, and 2.4ghz band 300mbps. So some extra benefit is that the wireless devices in my bedroom now really crank. For example: Chromecast runs through its buffering in 4 seconds max.

The only slight CON or tradeoff I would mention with this device is that the extended portion of the network gets a new network name. Its good if you have a wireless device that stays put in a standard location in you house, this helps segment your network and those devices can be directed to the extended portion. On the other hand if you have a big yard and you have your cell phone listening to Pandora, you may need to manually transition your network from original to the extended version.

All in all a great purchase with more benefits than I needed!
Capacity: AC1200|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Short review: A powerful, easy-to-set up access point or range extender which operates on both 2.5 and 5 mhz bands to effectively extend your wifi network (with a different SSID) and fix "dead spots" in your coverage. Only downside for me is that it requires a unique SSID instead of just replicating the SSID on your existing network.

Longer review (you might want to pour a drink for this one)...

We have a two-story house with a yard in the back and have looked for a number of solutions over the years to fix the wifi "dead spots" that plagued us. Many rooms in the house are wired for ethernet but that's less and less useful as we use more and more wireless devices (I'm still dreaming of the wireless irrigation controller one day...). I have tried range extenders, multiple routers, and finally landed on this professional access point: Ubiquiti UniFi Long Range Access Point, (2.4 GHz, UAP-LR-US, US Version) which works great for us.... it blasts signal around the house and the yard, and is definitely a set it and forget it solution, with auto firmware updating and complete reliability (no unplugging it). The only downside to that system is that it is 2.4 GHz only, and whenever we turn on the microwave (which is an embarassingly frequent occurrence) the wifi network stops until the microwave stops. The other thing I like about that solution (which requires ethernet plugs wherever you deploy it in your house) is that it uses the same SSID for all access points, so you just have one network (unlike this device, more below).

So I was eager to try this out in my house to see if I could create a 5 mhz extended network that would be microwave-proof. I was successful, but the fact that a different SSID is recommended sort of defeats the purpose... I wanted my devices to switch over to the 5 MHz when the other network was unavailable. When I tried renaming the Netgear SSID to my network SSID, I saw the message: "To ensure the delivery of optimal wireless performance to your devices, NETGEAR recommends that you keep a unique SSID for the Extender network and that you only connect to the Extender network when the existing network does not deliver good enough coverage." OK, not what I really had in mind, but I can deal with it I guess.

Setup is extremely easy -- you plug it into an electrical outlet, launch a browser, and the "Netgear Genie" walks you through the setup steps. In 5 minutes I was up and running. I did see about 20 mbps speed improvements using this device, and noticed good range on the extended network. I then decided to go into the "Do More" section of the configuration (aka advanced settings) and saw that there was a "FAST LANE" option so I gave that a try... basically it says it uses both bands to create one super connection. I set that up and saw zero performance increase so perhaps that's still a work in progress. You can also update firmware (wish it were automatic) from this screen and configure access schedules and wifi strength (useful if you're in an apartment building and don't want to blast your SSID all over the building).

This review is getting long and boring, so I'll just summarize with pro's and con's:

Pro's:
- Easy to set up, lights on front tell you if device is too far / too close to your main router
- Saw speed increase of 20-30 mbps on my wireless network
- Dual mode allows access point vs. extender mode (see below for explanation) depending on your needs
- Configuration screens are straightforward
- Seems reliable - zero reboots so far
- In extender mode you can use ethernet plug so you can plug in ethernet-only devices and where you've located the Netgear device

Con's:
- "Fastlane" option did not increase speed over regular mode for me, wasn't that interested to keep fiddling with it.
- Unique SSID is recommended... so you essentially have two networks (or 3, depending on number of bands) you can connect to in your house. And if you have a guest network on your main router, you have 4... starts getting very confusing.

ACCESS POINT vs. EXTENDER explained: When you plug a device like this into an ethernet outlet, it becomes an access point, sending a wifi signal out from that location. If you put it in "extender" mode, it only plugs into an electrical outlet somewhere between your existing wifi router and where you need your network, and creates a new extended network (with a new network name, or SSID) that you can use in what was formerly a dead area of your house or yard.

I will keep using this device and will update this review if I learn anything else or have issues with it. In the meantime feel free to leave questions in the comments section of this review and I'll do my best to answer them. Hope this helps.

And happy networking!
1414 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2015
Netgear provided me their EX6150 WiFi Range Extender for free to test and review. I currently have the Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Router upstairs in the study. Even though my EX6150 is one of the higher end routers and generally provides a good signal throughout the house, in the 5GHZ band, the signal weakens when I am outside in the back yard or downstairs in the kitchen so I was hoping the EX6150 would provide a stronger signal in those two areas.

Setup of the EX6150 was fast and straightforward. I followed the directions and within 5 minutes, I had connected the EX6150 to my Nighthawk X6 and had the EX6150 set up in extender mode. I plugged the EX6150 in a spare outlet downstairs in the kitchen. I then tested the strength of the signal and the speed in the kitchen and backyard using the Netgear WiFi Analytics app installed on my smartphone. The results are as follows:

Kitchen (connected to router) – 86% signal and 54Mbps
Kitchen (connected to range extender) – 100% signal and 150Mbps

Backyard (connected to router) – 86% signal and 13Mbps
Backyard (connected to range extender) – 100% and 108 Mbps

As expected, when I was in the kitchen or outside in the backyard, the signal strength was stronger and the speed was faster when connected to the EX6150 range extender compared to the router.

In summary, if you are looking to improve the WiFi signal in certain parts of your home, I would recommend the EX6150 because of the increased performance it delivers and the ease of setup. It is an added bonus that the EX6150 has a gigabit Ethernet port. I was able to relocate my OBihai Obi200 VoIP adapter, which requires a hard-wired connection, from my study upstairs where it was plugged into the router down into the kitchen by plugging it into the EX6150.
44 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on September 12, 2011
I'm a highly advanced user; my home network is entirely Linux based or embedded systems, I've been the CIO of a major corporation, and I understand the ins and outs of software development and networking. My setup at home requires I extend the range of my wifi network to cover my house. It's too large for one router to reach, so I picked up this unit for its small size and supposed ease of use.

Getting the unit initially up and running was fine - it was a no-brainer to add it to my existing WiFi network, provided by a DLink (DIR-655) router. So far, so good - setup really _is_ easy. I then moved the unit to a suitable location where there's adequate signal from the router and also where it can adequately cover the expanded space.

Unfortunately, the easy setup was the only positive feature of this unit.

The primary issue is that the WN3000RP locks up all the time and fails to route packets. After running for anywhere from 8 hours to a couple of days, it fails to maintain connectivity between the primary wireless network ("A") and its extended network ("B"). I can associate to the network "B" with a device, but it will not pass any traffic off to A. It's like the device has a memory leak or crash in the routing app internally that causes it to lock up and stop passing packets back and forth. It seems relatively traffic dependent - streaming videos through the device will induce it sooner than just background network traffic (mDNS advertisements, SAMBA notifications, pings, etc).

The only fix is to unplug the WN3000RP and plug it back in, which gets it working for another couple of hours or days. Obviously, this is unacceptable... If, at the same time, I connect another device to my primary network, "A", that device has zero connectivity problems. That network's been up and stable for months at a time!

The other issue I have with this box is that it also does the stupidest thing I've ever seen - modify the MAC address of devices passing through the unit onto my primary network! Who thought that was a good idea? Not only does this produce MAC addresses that don't conform to the proper vendor ID range selection (since the first portion of the MAC address should identify the vendor of the network hardware), it makes it virtually impossible for me to provided reserved IP allocations properly for devices in my house that roam between the two networks, A and B.

If you have _any_ kind of sophistication with networking or computers, or if you are just a guy who likes to stream content (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime movies, etc), stay away until they fix the firmware in this device. NETGEAR clearly rushed this to market with no quality assurance testing and a ton of poor engineering choices along the way.
6060 comments|756 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Swede-o-phile,

We'd like to help with the problems you mention. Your detailed input would be very helpful for our technicians to track down and eliminate any potential issues like the ones you describe. Please feel free to email us at amazon@netgear.com if you wish, but we'll be passing this post on to our technicians as it stands as well.

Regards,

NETGEAR Team
on June 8, 2011
After trying other range extenders and not being satisfied, I tried the Netgear Range Extender as a last resort before wiring the house. My wifi is set up at one end of the house and cannot get wifi at all in the kitchen and very low reception at the far end of the house. This range extender gives me 3 bars no matter where I am in the house. It is a fantastic product and by far the best on the market.
88 comments|173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse