4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to network a game console (or anything else)
Strengths: Very configurable, (relatively) good price, nice-looking

Weaknesses: Complicated setup, no 108mbps model available

Published on December 3, 2005 by Casey A. Henry

2.0 out of 5 stars Crashes under heavy load.
Works fine under light use, but crashes after a couple of hours of heavy use (streaming audio or video.) Sometimes only the embedded configuration web server crashes, but the unit still operates as a bridge. Usually, it's a more serious crash, and requires a power cycle to get working again. I'm using WPA-TKIP.
Published on November 13, 2005 by S. Meredith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to network a game console (or anything else), December 3, 2005
Casey A. Henry (Pensacola, Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netgear WGE111 54 Mbps Wireless Game Adapter (Personal Computers)
Strengths: Very configurable, (relatively) good price, nice-looking

Weaknesses: Complicated setup, no 108mbps model available

All in all, the WGE111 wireless gaming adapter is a great piece of hardware. Not only is it priced competitively with other gaming adapters and wireless bridges (so-called wireless gaming adapters are virtually identical to wireless bridges), but it's also the best-looking unit on the market by far. I was particularly impressed by the sturdy and stable vertical stand that's included in the box. Unlike most other stands I've encountered for this type/size of hardware, it snaps onto the unit securely and is not prone to toppling over at the slightest upset.

Gaming performance over Xbox Live is great; I've noticed no difference between using this adapter and plugging the console directly into my router via ethernet cable (and my Xbox is located a fair distance away from my router).

My two gripes with the WGE111 are minor--neither one will impact anyone's day-to-day experience with the adapter--but they are important to note. First of all, it's unfortunate that Netgear doesn't offer a 108mbps variety of this adapter that's compatible with their other 108mbps 802.11g devices. Admittedly, an Xbox or PS2 would never even remotely need that kind of speed, but for consumers with 108mbps wireless networks it's always good to have all wireless devices on a network running the same protocol at the same speed.

Secondly, the setup of this adapter is quite complicated. In order to use the device on a security-enabled network, consumers need to first configure the adapter by connecting it to a PC with an included ethernet cable and running the provided setup wizard. This should be a simple task, but the software refused to locate and identify my adapter until I disabled my router's WEP encryption, leaving my network unsecured and vulnerable during setup. I live in a multiple-network environment (an apartment building) with one or two unsecured networks in the area, and the adapter would automatically connect to the first available unsecured network, rendering it invisible to my own and to the setup software. The ethernet connection to the PC should have trumped this, but it did not. As a result, the setup of my adapter probably took about 45 minutes--much longer than it should have.

After initial setup, however, the adapter has worked flawlessly, and it's quite configurable as well via a browser-based interface. What makes the WGE111 even more configurable is a small switch on the rear to quickly change between infrastructure and ad hoc modes, allowing users to quickly setup ad hoc LAN games between consoles. This is one feature that sets this adapter apart from other wireless bridges, and it should come in quite handy if you ever connect multiple consoles for multiplayer games.

Overall, this is a great piece of hardware. Despite its few shortcomings, it is an exceptional and reliable performer once it's up and running.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, Quick & Reliable, April 1, 2006
Carlos N. Menchaca (Austin, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased this item along with the Netgear WGR614 802.11g Wireless Router and I can honestly say, the product is great. You'll be hard pressed to find a Game Adapter that is as easy to use while still being reliable and affordable.

The actual adapter itself is quite small and the same color as the current gen console systems, so it doesn't draw any attention to itself. The dimensions are a little under 7"x4"x1", which in real life terms is about the size of two deck of cards stacked next to eachother.

Setup was as easy as plugging in the wires, and turning on the console of choice (it supports both the PS2 & Xbox systems... and possibly the XBox360). There is no software to install, in fact, the software CD is basically an Acrobat file of the instructions that comes with the Adapter in paper form. I was actually amazed that I ran into no problems on the setup.

The room in which this device resides is filled with many other high tech devices that might interfere with the reception: cordless phone, networked printer, home entertainment center, home pc, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse etc etc, and I've had no signs of lag, nor have I been disconnected once.

I was really worried about my first endeavor into the wireless online front, and thanks to Netgear's great products, I can play & surf with peace of mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly - Great for SlingBox Wireless Networking, August 12, 2006
I purchased this NetGear adapter in order to connect my SlingBox to my wireless network. Worked perfectly right out of the box! First I plugged the adapter into my laptop computer in order to configure it to my network settings (took less than 5 min). Then plugged it into the Slingbox and I was up and running. It's small, it works, and the speed is very acceptable (54 mbps). Win/Win!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, February 27, 2006
I bought this to replace the Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Gaming Adapter I had for my Xbox. The Linksys was unstable and a nightmare to configure. The Netgear adapter required zero set up. I plugged it in and was connected to XboxLive in seconds! I have also used this device to put an ancient(OS 8) Macintosh on my network. it worked flawlessly then too.

I can't say enough good things about the Netgear adapter and reccomend it highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plug and Play, November 14, 2005
Tan (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this because I needed a Wireless to Ethernet Bridge. Why is it so hard to find one? I went to several stores online and retail and could not find one in stock. I tried a D-link 5-way router but it turns out that it requires a second identical router on the other end, which was useless to me. These "game" adapters are marketed as being for game consoles but I decided what the heck, I'll see how it'll work with my Mac. The manual says that setup required connecting to a PC, but I plugged it in, connected it to my Mac and it found my open wireless network and I was surfing the net right away. No setup was needed. I was wondering whether this deviced was limited in any way since it was sold as a game adapter, but it seems to pass all packets correctly and all ports are open. The only thing I don't like about it is that it runs very warm. I wonder how long it will last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, BUT!, July 5, 2005
I'm sure if you had a netgear router or AP this thing prolly would work right out of the box on an XBox. I, however needed a bridge for my TIVO and ReplayTV. I'm bridging this adaptor to a Belkin Pre-N Router. After manually configuring the WGE111, using a cable attached to my laptop, it worked. It's even working thru a DLink switch. MAC address filtering didn't work for me, nor did QoS on. WPA gave up the ghost after a few days. In a few days, I might try WEP, but I don't expect positive results. With no security this adaptor works great with some manual configuration. With any kind of security it fails miserably. I'm not blaming the adaptor fully, some of the problems could be the router. Overall I not terribly dissatisfied with this adaptor. It has better reviews than the competition and is slightly cheaper. It does get warm to the touch, but not terribly so.

Update: 7/6/05 will only drive one device through a switch. It seems to latch onto only one IP address and won't change to another until you connect it directly to that other device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cake to setup - Very good Signal Range!, October 21, 2005
I read the reviews below with people struggling to set this WGE111 up. I'm not sure of their Computer Apptitude, as I had this setup in no time.

I configured the device with my laptop directly connected to it. I configured it for WEP (My other Devices don't currently support WPA).

It never fails and has GREAT signal strength to my Wireless Router across the house.

I bought one for my Tivo and one for my SlingBox both work fine with this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but watch out for confusing mac address labelling and behaviour, September 27, 2005
Managed to get the adapter working fine with WPA-PSK while configured with a static IP address. It's connected to a Netgear wireless access point, which is connected to a Netgear ADSL modem router (DHCP turned off).

One major problem I had though was with the mac address of the device while configuring MAC address filtering on my access point - the label on the back of the adapter was incorrect (or was for the wired ethernet port) and there were no other labels with "MAC address" written on it on the adapter. To get around this, I turned off MAC address filtering on the access point, connected the adapter to the wireless access point, look at what are connected to the access point and their MAC addresses, then add those MAC addresses (made sure they were all mine) to the "Allow" list on the access point. Now everything is working as it should, though I have to say that I have never had this kind of problem before.

[Note, if you move the adapter to a different machine, then the mac address of the adapter also changes. I've checked where this address is coming from: the wired ethernet interface that the adapter connects to. It seems that this adapter bridges not only the IP address, but also the MAC address of the ethernet card (in which case, you can just "ipconfig /all" to find out your wired ethernet MAC address). It could just be a matter of RTFM, but I certainly wasn't expecting this.]

No other complaints though, but then I'm a techie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opened and working in 2 minutes, February 10, 2005
Amazon Customer (Salt Lake City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This game adapter is truly plug and play. I purchased it along with a Netgear WGB111 (which is the same as a WGR614 with an extra USB adapter). I opened the box, it asked me to select Internet or Adhoc (for Xbox Live I chose Internet). Then it had me connect the ethernet cable to the Xbox and the adapter, plug in the power cord, and ... that was it. My Xbox Live came right up. I decided to get online and test it with Halo 2 and had no problems. I even setup MAC filtering on the router and this adapter was not phased at all. Great product!

2.0 out of 5 stars Crashes under heavy load., November 13, 2005