on August 6, 2012
Verified Purchase
I read the reviews posted on this product and was a little concerned. I went to the Netgear website and found the instructions, firmware and everything needed. I examined the information to determine if I wanted to take the risk in purchasing the range extender. I needed the extra boost to get my wifi to extend to my deck outside. I took the gamble and ordered it. I received this unit when promised by Amazon, thank you Amazon. I opened the box and as reported by other reviewers, there were no instructions. I had already read them on the website and knew what to do. It took me all of 5 minutes to find a location, plug it up, link it to my network (Belkin router) and begin to stream on my deck. I also linked my Foscam wireless camera to the extender and it helped my broadcasting abilities (the wireless camera had been struggling to keep wifi connection). I can not say how easy it was to install. I waited a week before I posted a review to give it some time to give me trouble. We recently had a storm and lost power. Once the power was restored, it started right back up with my network. I think this will boost the enjoyment to my deck and it's usage. If you are thinking of purchasing the Factory Refurbished Netgear WN2000RPT Universal WiFi Range Extender, you should! It is definitely worth it!! Before extender our ipods got 1-2 bars with low bandwidth, now we get full bars and stream with no problem!! We LOVE this product!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 22, 2014
Verified Purchase
I was looking to solve an issue for a non wireless device that did not involve holes in walls long cables and the accompanying frustration and angst so I wanted a WiFi extender and I stumbled onto this refrub unit and thought, "why not?"

And I am glad I did.

Setup requires you go to the Netgear site and download their PDF. Apparently many people view this as a failure and I could understand this attitude if the device was not a WiFi extender which already speaks to a certain level of comfort as far as tech is involved.

Around 30 seconds after I went through the extremely simple steps, the unit was ready to run. It found local networks, I provided the credentials, it created a secondary SSID, another source of complaint, apparently, and I was off and running with zero frustration.

Now, some folks want this to integrate seamlessly with your existing network so that you need not have a secondary SSID and I get that, but you have realize what you're getting for under $20 is a home based fix, it's not corporate infrastructure.

Plus, this is reliable and will not suddenly decide to leave you for another WiFi network in the neighborhood and take half your stuff, which makes it much more desirable than any marriage I have had.

But I'm not bitter.
on April 3, 2014
Verified Purchase
This thing is very simple, cheap and does exactly what it's supposed to. Setup was a little annoying since you need to look up the product at Netgear's website. You have to search for the product and it's a bit time-consuming. So let me save you the trouble:
1. Use a wireless device (tablet, laptop, whatever) to connect to the wireless device called "NETGEAR_EXT"
2. Open your browser and go to: mywifiext.net
3. Go through the easy to follow setup and that's it!
4. ****IMPORTANT*** Go back into the settings and change the default password of the range extender. The default password is "password". If you don't change this, then anyone driving by your house can log in with the default and clearly see your WEP passcode for your whole network! Yikes! Change the password by going into "setup" right away.

Hope that helps
FYI, there are 3 versions of this range extender. Most people are getting version 2 and that's also what I got.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought this as a refurbished unit. I was able to install it without issue, except that I was expecting to be able to install it in such a fashion so that it would work "seamlessly" with my existing router (also a Netgear). Instead, it installs as a second access point so that I have to manually switch between access points (routers) depending upon where I am in my house. Not a huge problem, but I was expecting to be able to install it in a seamless fashion so that I was automatically using the router with the better signal no matter where I was in the house.

My only other complaint is that this router sometimes needs to be reset for no apparent reason. I've had it installed for about two weeks now and have had to reboot it about 4 times. But hey, I bought it refurbished, it was $30, I guess I shouldn't expect much (and I wasn't when I bought it). This occurs less when a device is actively using the router. The problem seems to occur more often when it sits idle, without data flowing through it.

Overall, if you can still get this for $30, it's a good buy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 14, 2012
Setup was a bit of bother (didn't complete throughly) - otherwise having resetted and started over, everything is working great!

70% stronger signal (which is always at excellent) than without. My router is 50 feet away from extender.

Setup wizard takes user step by step to connect to Wireless Access Point.

Comes in a plain box without instructions or software. All files can be downloaded at Netgear's website.

Since this is factory refurbished, it is better than new, because Netgear has retested the components. This procedure safeguards against manufacture defects that may happen to be present when new.

I would advise that only tech savvy people purchase this version as many have problems - for example: can't even reset the unit (button on back).

Save some money and purchase this one. I highly recommend it and wish I knew about sooner.

On commonly mentioned disconnection problems:
Once you're logged into the repeater's webpage, go to .../cgi-bin/hidden_dhcpd.html

Configure a nonconflicting address range for your regular WiFi's address space; IE using .180 to .250.
on August 29, 2013
Verified Purchase
Here's my background story... I have high speed internet through Clear (Wireless 4G Provider) & live in a brand new neighborhood. The internet connectioin from my router through Clear has always had 5/5 green signal bars until more houses started being built nearby my home which in turned ruined my signal strength. The only fix I could come up with was moving my old router to the top floor of my house in the window nearest the street.

My Desktop & Laptop PC's are downstairs in my home and couldn't ever get a good connection to the router and internet was always very slow and choppy. I purchased this unit and set it upstairs about 30 ft from my old router and the signal strength from my up-to-down stairs from this wifi range extender is excellent. I'm now able to get blazing fast 4G signal from my router in the upstairs window carried all the way downstairs while maintaining super speeds and reliable connectivity.

The instructions I found online from netgear didnt work exactly as outlined. Instead, I got it to work properly by doing this on a Windows 7 64-bit Desktop:

1. Plug in router
2. From your PC, connect to the Routers network
3. PC automatically detected that it needed to be configured and attempted to complete setup through a pre configured Windows wizard.
4. Auto Config through Windows fails....I clicked "Troubleshoot Problems" and waited about 5 mins until it said it was fixed.
5. Disconnected from the routers network and re-connected once more and the Windows auto setup ran again
6. The second time around it works and says it's completed setup.
7. Logged into routers admin panel through the URL listed in setup, couldn't be found.....
8. Deleted all browser cookies, history, etc & restarted browswer. Disconnected from routers network and reconnected again.
9. Visited routers URL one more time, works!
10. Configure to your liking!

(FYI, the above is just what worked for me. Your computer, router, internet, hardware, etc may be different & the instructions from netgear may work the first time for you.)
on July 25, 2013
Verified Purchase
I purchased this extender from a different vender with dismal results. The unit was supposedly new I retuned it and purchased a refurbished one on amazon. I must say I am pleased with the results, out of the box it looked new and it was programed up and running in no time. It connected with my NETGEAR Modem Router with no problem. I use it as a bridge for my dvd player. Though it takes a bit more time to load than my wifi enabled dvd player the result are the same. Having extended the wifi signal, I am now able to connect from all areas of my home and small yard
review image review image
on June 19, 2014
Verified Purchase
This is a horrible product, do not waste your money. After around 30 days, the extender just started to not work, it connects to my wifi and I can connect to the extender but the speed dropped from 24 Mbps to about .01 Mbps making it pretty much worthless, takes 15-20 seconds to load google news . I tried everything, restored to factory defaults, connected to a different network, etc... and it's just this device, it's horrible. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!
on July 31, 2013
Verified Purchase
Revised Review: I found that the device had increasing difficulty maintaining a connection to my router. I tested the router with another extender and had no problems. As such, I can no longer recommend this device. I ended up giving mine away.

Original Review: On the plus side, the network extender does what it is supposed to do:it picked up my existing wireless network and, when configured properly, it extended the range as promised. On the minus side, it had some minor cosmetic issues (scratches) and the stand was broken. However, it stands just fine without the plastic stand and I get the idea of refurbished products (that is, they are used). The savings over a new one was, I think, worth it.

If you have a Netgear router, you can (most likely) just press the big button on the front and be ready to go. However, if you do not have the right router, you will need to configure it manually. The instructions are not included, but you can download the installation instructions from Netgear-just put in the model number on their support page and you'll go right to the page. While I am very familiar with networking, the process is straightforward-just a few steps.

Overall, this is a good deal. Just keep in mind that you are getting a refurbished unit and that means there is a good chance it will have some cosmetic issues. For me, this is no big deal-function and price for things I do not have to stare at to use matter more than appearance.
on June 29, 2014
Our extender will regularly stop assigning ip addresses, which prevents computers from using the extender (the dhcp functionality is broken). This is a known issue with the WN2000 series, and there are various workarounds for it, but they all rely on actually being able to configure options in the router control panel. Unfortunately, the control panel for this router is a joke - it basically lets you enable/disable the access point, change the wifi network it extends, and that's about it. No ability to set static ip addresses for the extender's clients, no ability to change protocol options, nothing. If the out of the box options don't work, you've got a little plastic brick.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations