4.0 out of 5 stars Browser Warning
Published 11 months ago by Dee Davis

1.0 out of 5 stars LOOK AT THE MOST RECENT REVIEWS FIRST.
Please mark this as helpful if you appreciate the reviews by legitimate amazon purchasers

I bought this on 1/14/14 from Amazon LLC based upon the highest rated reviews. Do not buy is my recommendation

Published 11 months ago by ndurodude

1.0 out of 5 stars LOOK AT THE MOST RECENT REVIEWS FIRST., January 17, 2014
This review is from: Netgear N300 Wireless Router with Detachable Antennas (WNR1500) (Personal Computers)

If you sort by recent purchases, a pattern of recent unhappy folks appears. Recent legitimate purchasers give poor reviews, either due to defect or support. It appears that my warranty registration had been filled out prior to my purchase. Maybe it was a return...maybe it was for the rebate... I cant say. But don't buy my returned product. Maybe they are simply selling through the returns from other unhappy people.

I spent a day trying the router login window to no avail before I gave up and live chatted with netgear. Of course first I filled out the warranty registration and was issued a password based on the serial number of my shiny new WNR1500.

My devices saw the signal and prompt for the password but none were able to connect. Visiting the Netgear site asks for the admin password combo but freezes on the Update screen. Other sites work fine on the when plugged in. And since the validity of the purchase seems to be at question, no help is forthcoming from Netgear due to my amazon purchase, I cannot recommend a netgear purchase from Amazon.

After providing all the same information again (for the forth time just to get in line for support), my chat lady Shemeul, asked me to email the invoice to Netgear. It seems that this model was "past it's s shelf life." What ever that means. Instead of being educated about my shiny new WiFi and answering questions, I had to prove that I had just purchased this from amazon before they would help me. Why wasn't the warranty registration valid?

I'm not getting into an investigation by netgear about greymarket product. I didn't buy this off the back of a truck. After she was "checking on this" the session timed out. Phone calls to tech support went on hold for 6 minutes each before an answering machine picked up then hung up. I don't know what is worse...asking for help during business hours and being placed on hold for hours...or being kicked off after six minutes each for an afternoon.

Edit: Spent another hour with phone and live chat. Janice Mae @ Netgear could not rectify the problem: In fact she was not able to negotiate past the settings screen. Maybe it had been bricked and returned. At a certain point, I don't need extra things in my life that make me sad.

You are buying an orphan from a business that just doesn't care. Find a company that wants your business.

And Amazon, if you are listening, Please don't sell my return to anyone. Return this crap to the vendor that dropped the ball.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, March 6, 2013
I bought this to upgrade to "N" and replace a failing older router. Setup was quick and easy, but the signal broadcast to my home office is weak (small timber frame house-2000 sq ft). Cust service ran tests, router appears to be functioning normally, it just isn't very powerful (download speed tripled when I moved closer). I think Netgear could offer a more honest assessment of which router to buy for your size home in their pre-purchase information. I see a signal booster in my future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, January 22, 2014
Bought it based on fairly decent reviews, but should have paid closer attention to the bad ones. I got it connected and worked for a few days, then my wireless products were unable to connect to wireless connection for some reason . Message kept saying to reboot router or basically turn power off, wait 10 seconds then turn back on. Well that seemed to work, but then it got to be a daily requirement and finally had to go through that process every hour until finally could not go from one web connection to another without rebooting power to router. After one very lenthy call to tech support, it seemed to work fine for a few days, then the same thing started happening, so after another 3 hr marathon conversation to tech support with language barrier that required multiple repetion of instructions in order to understand instructions, it was working again for about 10 days and I did reboot power 2 times which corrected problem for a few days until it happened again and now for the 3rd time I will have to call tech support to try to resolve problem. Each time I've had to set up a new network with tech support. After last conversation I was assured the problem was fixed and it wouldn't happen again, but guess what ...it did. It should not require repeated power reboot for the router to work and to be able to maintain a wireless connection. Either I got a defective unit or it doesn't work well with TWCable which according to their website, this router was listed as compatible with their service. If I have any further news after I call tech support for the 3rd time and get an explanation as to why this keeps happening, I will post an update. But buyer beware.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars wireless was a problem from day one, June 24, 2013
after using a best buy router for about 5 years it finally quit. so i tried a name brand thinking i was moving up. wrong..... this one needed rebooting at least every other day and the wireless was awful. i had to manually change the channel anytime i wanted to use it or it failed to connect. after 4 phone calls to netgear and around 6 emails, they wanted me to change a setting every time, it still would not work.i am returning this and have already ordered a different brand hoping for better results

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jun 27, 2013 10:13:23 AM PDT
Hi D. Kirby,

We are very sorry that your WNR2000 has been a huge frustration and that support was unable to assist.

We would like investigate your case right away. Please contact us directly at amazon@netgear.com with a copy and paste of your review-- also include any case numbers that you received from support.

We hope to hear from you soon,

NETGEAR Team

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, October 3, 2013
I recently purchased the Netgear N300 Wireless Router with Detachable Antennas (WNR1500) for my apartment from Amazon.com. I have it connected to a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem. I have had it setup now for three weeks. I'm disappointed with the router. I am constantly needing to re-boot the router every few hours after the signal drops. I know it is not a modem issue, as I have connected directly to the modem and have not lost signal.
I have a different Netgear router at another home and have never had any issue with it -- I regret getting the N300 for the apartment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returning this item, October 14, 2013
This router is unusable. After hours of messing with settings I'm giving up and returning it. No matter what I tweak it needs to be reset every day. After being on for a few hours it drops all the existing clients and no new wireless devices can connect. Going with a refurb Cisco instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, May 22, 2013
DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK! SINCE I'VE PURCHASED THIS ROUTER, I'VE HAD TO RESET IT EVERYDAY! THE WIRELESS WORKS, UNTIL YOU LOG OFF THE COMPUTER, THAN YOU HAVE TO RESET IT AGAIN, AND AGAIN AND AGAIN. I'VE RE-CONFIGURED THE SETTINGS MULTIPLE OF TIMES, ITS A WASTE OF MY TIME. I WOULDN'T EVEN TAKE THIS THING FOR FREE. I WOULDN'T GIVE THIS TO SOMEONE I DON'T EVEN LIKE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Browser Warning, January 31, 2014
Dee Davis (Woodinville, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This router should come with a warning - the security settings do not show up if you use Firefox. It took me and a friend a few hours of trying to figure out what was wrong until we finally tried using a different browser. I had called Support and they wouldn't answer any questions about the problem I was having. They required proof of purchase to be mailed in before they could talk to me. Once the router was set up, and the security was set up, it worked fine. No thanks to Support!

1.0 out of 5 stars Like constantly resetting your routers?, September 3, 2013
If you like to have your internet connection cut off because your router has to be reset for some unknown reason then this is the one for you. This piece of garbage cuts out randomly required you to reset it for no ryhme or reason. Netgear doesn't even address the problem which means your solution is the get another router or learn to enjoy resetting this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Netgear wireless router, July 1, 2013
I've used a lot of netgear equipment with great success but this is the worst piece of junk they have come out with. The wireless will stop working after a few hours and must be rebooted. Updated and latest firmware and same thing. Returned the router and bought another brand.