Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
I have a Netgear extender getting 5 signal bars but it is SLOW accessing. Without the extender I get 2 bars with faster accessing. Please advise.
asked by Dennis M. Spinella on December 16, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
The manual specifically states that speed through the extender is slower than through the main access point. However, it does not say, how much slower. The difference in speed is not detectable for me. In your case, maybe the extender is too far away from your access point. 2 Bars is rather low. Your slowness in speed may be due to poor connection and having to negotiate packets between the access point and extender. I would suggest moving the extender closer to the access point.
Peter Gil answered on December 17, 2012
Comment (1) | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Mike S. answered on December 16, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I guess you are right. Now I have a better internet I noticed that using the externder the speed is much lower than conecting directly to the router. Usually I don't mind,but maybe I would if my internet wasn't so fast. The good thing is: I have been having problem with Comcast. The connection is going down all the times, but if I connect through the extender, it is slower, but never fails.
Danillo Gardenal Augusto answered on December 16, 2012
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Netgear says that accessing the internet through the extender may be slower than accessing it directly though a router. I don't do any real streaming, so that isn't a problem for me. I am accessing a router that is not near the extender, and it doesn't cause a problem with the speed I need to use VPN, access databases and various servers for work purposes. I am using the extender to transmit the signal throughout the house, which is weak or nonexistent in most places without the extender. It serves our needs very well (it does need to be 'restarted' occasionally, but that is easy enough).
Nancy L answered on December 17, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have my extender about half way between my router and my roku unit in my den. I went from fair signal to excellent signal. I am very pleased thus far wit my set-up. I don't have a real large home (2200) sq ft but the extender has worked for me
Larry G. Buckingham answered on December 17, 2012
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product