4.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A Good Router for Small Businesses
Published on January 6, 2005 by Michael E. Pouliot

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with Vista and 2008...
The support for this router is terrible... The latest firmware is buggy and it does not work correctly with Vista or Windows 2008 server. I see a net split issue where I could go to [...] and ping it and I could not go to [...] or ping it. This issue does not occur with XP or Windows Server 2003. This router is stable however runs like a champ.
Published on August 18, 2009 by Deepak Vij

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A Good Router for Small Businesses, January 6, 2005
This review is from: Cayman 3386-ENT Broadband Router (Electronics)
We had a firewall crash at the office and decided to replace our old, high-end, Raptor firewall with a Netgear RP614. That router was easy to setup and configure and got us up and running quickly after the firewall crash. However, it was unreliable and tended to suffer from heat exhaustion. During one business day we had to reboot the router 20 times before finally leaving it unplugged overnight so it could cool off and function normally again. We gave up and decided to go with this router.

This router packs the punch of some high end Cisco routers at a fraction of the cost. It is highly configurable, and allows for a variety of complex NAT/PAT setups, port forwarding, packet filters, classless subneting, and more. The manual is very comprehensive. VPN connections do not require any custom software. The e-mail support has been in 24 hours or less.

I have two complaints:
1) The latest firmware does not allow for stable PPTP VPN connections. They suggest rolling back to an old release, which I have not yet tried.

2) The router does not support DNS forwarding. If you have your network setup with static IPs, you will have to add your ISPs DNS servers to the local workstation configurations.

This router is NOT geared towards consumers. Although it does have a setup wizard that makes it easy to configure a basic installation, it is overkill for someone who does not have a good TCP/IP skillset. At this point we've only had it for a week, so I can't be sure that it is more reliable thant the RP614, but so far so good.

UPDATE: With the latest firmware, I have had no issues with maintaining a stable PPTP VPN connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice router, February 22, 2008
This review is from: Cayman 3386-ENT Broadband Router (Electronics)
This is exactly what I needed, an ethernet to ethernet router that is relatively inexpensive but more reliable than a Linksys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, May 28, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Cayman 3386-ENT Broadband Router (Electronics)
I have more than a dozen of these in the field. They are extremely powerful and highly configurable. You also get excellent free tech support by phone for a couple of months. The interface is by telnet only and is very unintuitive. Be prepared to wrestle with that part of it. (Definitely NOT for the home user.) But once you learn the quirks, it will do anything you want.

4.0 out of 5 stars Running Solid, July 30, 2010
This review is from: Cayman 3386-ENT Broadband Router (Electronics)
The setup took some effort, but my previous routers were consumer plug-and-play models. I setup web and email servers on my LAN and exposed them to the internet using the router and dedicated IPs. This router has been a solid workhorse. Barring power interruptions, it's been up since the Fall of 2008.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality & Performance, August 3, 2007
K. LEE (Orlando, Fl USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cayman 3386-ENT Broadband Router (Electronics)
We give one to these to each of our customers and they perform perfectly. They make store bought ones line Netgear and Linksys look like toys. These will handle VoIP and other high packet rate items perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Stable, May 9, 2004
M. Bond (New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cayman 3386-ENT Broadband Router (Electronics)
Fast, stable, configurable via telnet only. Free support is via email and web only. This product does not seem to be targeted towards the mass market crowd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with Vista and 2008..., August 18, 2009