Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Size: Nettalk Duo|Style: 12 Month Free|Change

on May 30, 2012
I bought this about 2 weeks ago. The Nettalk Duo Wifi only works for about 1-2 hours after which it switches off. I did not read any of the amazon.com reviews prior to purchasing it from a target store. When the thing is working it will only work for between 8 and 9 mins after which you will have to disconnect because of a static connection.
Now here comes the worst part- I called the customer service helpline mentioned on their website.

Technical Support:
Call our TALK Experts to receive proper assistance with your technical or setup issues.
Phone: 1-866-967-1063
Mon-Fri: 9:00am - 5:00pm EST
Sat-Sun 10:00am - 4:00pm EST

It takes about 2 hours of hold time before you will get to a customer service agent. For example, call them at 10am EST and say you are number 18, and estimated waiting time will be 46 mins. After waiting for 37 mins, your number changes to number 11, and estimated waiting time increases to 56 mins. Just doesn't make sense.

So a warning to potential buyers, call their "technical support" before attempting to make a purchase; and in any case if you do, at a store; SAVE YOUR RECEIPT.
on June 30, 2014
If you are looking for unlimited incoming/outgoing calls at a flat rate, I advise you to carefully read the NetTalk Terms Of Service. You will discover that NetTalk is calling 1200 minutes per month unlimited. When you exceed the 1200 minutes NetTalk will block your calls until you purchase enough additional credits to cover your calling for the rest of the month.

The headline in the NetTalk emailing I received just today read, "Declare Independence From Monthly Phone Bills!".

The headline should read, "Get Nickel And Dimed By NetTalk".

I have ordered an Obi200 and will be getting a free Ring.To number. In addition to an Obi ATA, you are required to buy a 911 service ($12/yr) during the ring.to sign-up process.
on November 18, 2012
I bought this back in June, 2012. At the time I was raving over the product. Yes it had flaws, but for the price I could put up with them, or so I thought.

First the good points:
1. Easy to install. Just plug in power, Ethernet, and a phone, and presto, it works! That is wonderful.
2. The on-line set up is nice and has the features I would like, all included in the low price. This includes things like voice mail and call forwarding. The voice mail can be forward to an (one) email address. Also, it has a speed-dial feature for 10 numbers which is nice. They give you a complete record of calls received and sent, if you are interested, (but who cares since they are all free anyway.) International calling is about the only extra they charge for, but Canada is included in the basic plan.
3. It is a nice package. Easy to unplug and take with you if you travel. Not much larger than a pack of cigarettes.
4. I have sent and received faxes without much difficulty.
5. 411 and 911 support. They claim 411 information is free, but I never tried it.
6. No hidden fees. No 911 charge, no taxes. The purchase includes the first year's service with NO additional fees.

So with all that, how can you go wrong? As I said I recommended this to several friends who went out and got it. I was happy for a while. Yes, the voice quality was not great, not even as good as my cell phone, but so what? The price was right.

Well, it is now November and I just got rid of it. Here are my reasons: CALL/VOICE QUALITY!!
Sometimes, it is fine. Maybe 20%-30% of the time there are problems.
These include:
1. Echos. Sometimes you hear you own voice come back about a second later. This makes it impossible to talk.
2. Ringing, static, etc can be very annoying,
3. Delay in sending and receiving the voice. There can be about a second in the round turn. Sometimes it does not matter, sometimes it can really interfere with the conversation.
4. Tones can happen in the middle of the conversation. It can be like someone's two-year old is playing with the keypad while you are trying to speak.
5. The call just simple gets cut off.

Bottom line:
If you want a good quality, reliable phone, this is not the right one for you.
If you want really cheap and do not care about quality, this can work for you.

I got a Vonage phone to replace this. The difference is like night and day. Of course, it costs a lot more.
I am not sure what I will do with my Nettalk Duo device now.
I might hook it up as a second line. I can use that line for giving out to companies where it might result in solicitations. Sometimes companies need my number. This would be a good phone for that.
on April 25, 2013
Please don't busy nettalk service, this guys are big time cheater. My bad I took 12 months subscription and now they have 600 mins limit/month for India calling. Come on- you can't do this.
on June 29, 2011
I've had the DUO for over 8 months. I have the fastest home broadband available from *******. Neighborhood wiring is new and all underground. And yet I have consistently broken speech from my DUO, day or night. I've learned that good VOIP depends on a high quality phone, bandwidth, delay, packet loss and jitter. If ANY ONE of these five factors is lacking, long term you will become dissatisfied with any VOIP device, including the DUO. As I have, alas. Go to[...] for the most comprehensive test of your ISP connection. Take the test several times a day for several days. If results are good, go for VOIP. My ISP consistently fails the jitter test at 17ms to 23ms. End of story. In spite of its blazing data speed, my connection has proven unsuitable for VOIP.
on October 17, 2013
I've had NetTalk for over a year. The voice quality is hit or miss. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. My wife couldn't deal with it as our primary phone line due to its inconsistent behavior. Thus, it became our 2nd line.

Renewals claim to be $29.95 per year, but after all the taxes and fees they add on, it becomes $39.xx instead (say an even $40).

Just recently the service stopped working for me. I have a dialtone, but I can't make any outgoing calls. Incoming calls are met with "the Nettalk subscriber is unavailable". I've opened trouble tickets with NetTalk, and received ZERO response.

In a nutshell, NetTalk does not support their customers when things go wrong. Do not spend your money with this company.
on December 5, 2014
A friend from college had good results with net talk after leaving Vonage. I decided to do the same. I received in early Sept. 2013. I hooked up and had a hard time getting a phone number. After hours on the online chat support they finally got me a number. We hooked up and used for 1-2 months, wasn't 100% but not bad. Better than our spotty cell phones. We then lost power in November. When the power came back on I tried everything to get it back online. Finally I boxed up and put away. In August I received a charge for the annual pay I signed up for. I decided I would call and get my money back. Before I called I said, I should probably try one last time. It worked! I called the number and was so excited. I went to bed and by morning it was red again. A couple of times I saw the box with a green light and thought yeah! I would call the number and nothing. I would use the phone and It would go back flashing red. I don't know what to say, maybe my devise is defective but I can't reach them by phone and I don't even see the online chat anymore. When it did work it was unreliable but that was only for 2 months.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2012
I was tired of "bundles" with cable networks. Chargings all kinds of money for telephone, tv, and internet. I only really need internet, so i decided to cut costs and get internet only, and find an alternative for a home phone. So I looked into magic jack and nettalk. I decided on nettalk because its cheaper than magic jack, offers more features, and offers live custermer service 24/7. The only thing that I didnt like is how I found out they have a 3,000 minute a month limit, then they either cut off the service or charge extra, Im yet to find out. When I press talk on my phone theres a delay for a dial tone. Sometimes calls dont go through after I've entered the phone number. Its not perfect, but it works for me because I dont talk on the phone much, I only need it to get ahold of family members here and there. You can also change your phone number any time, and they dont sell your information. I have not had 1 advertisment phone call since ive had NetTalk and I LOVE it. I would recommend getting NetTalk if you dont talk on the phone much, and just need a back up house phone incase of emergency or so.
on December 12, 2012
hooked it up last night. It is a good product and for a home phone line, it saves me $500 a year! So if you want to keep your home phone with the same number and use your cell phone most of the time, this is a product for you. A good investment to save money for a new retiree!
on November 12, 2013
I have had NetTalk for several years and have not had any problems until now.
I renewed a couple of weeks ago and was charged $39.94 instead of the $29.95 it shows on the web page.
There are no additional taxes indicated on the receipt.
I have tried contacting customer service by phone and it is a forever hold.
I tried the customer service website and it does not use the NetTalk username and password You have to create a separate one and the email to confirm the information never comes.
If this doesn't get fixed I will not be renewing in the future.