Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 29, 2016
Really interesting book about brains.
on March 5, 2016
The idea and outline of the topics are good, but the development is short, poor, and not deep enough. I think the author should extend the length and the analysis in every chapter.
on August 11, 2015
This books makes you think about everything, not just web design, in an entirely new light. How and why we make decisions and how others influence us into making those decisions subconsciously is simply an amazingly useful bit of information to have as both someone who is a consumer and as someone who is trying to convince others.

Weinschenk's book is easy to grasp and understand, and is packed with tons of useful tidbits and principles. I can't recommend it enough.
on December 9, 2014
Very useful and different approach. I recommend it highly!
on October 12, 2014
Truly enjoyed it.
on June 21, 2014
I appreciated the fun nuggets illustrating her perspective especially as she utilized many of her suggested techniques in the book itself :) is it really that good? Not sure, I might have just been persuaded...
on March 21, 2014
The author discusses a psychology concept or related concepts, and suggests how you can apply it to web design. She breaks up the book into 11 chapters/concepts:

1. Persuading the Unconscious Mind
8. Similarity, Attractiveness & Association
9. Fear of Loss vs Anticipation of Victory
10. Using Pictures & Stories to talk to the Unconscious
11. Making things social

The book generally balances the discussion of psychology versus the application to web design well, but there are some points where it drags. Importantly, the author places a short "things to remember" summary at the end of each chapter to boil down the chapter to a few sentences. This short summary can be very useful if you want to go back and look at the book, or to make sure you got the important points out of the chapter.

While the book is generally decent, if you've read or learned through other books the basis of decision making and psychology, this will be a rehash of those points. So, for a newbie who doesn't recognize the concepts listed above, 4 stars; for someone more experienced, 3 stars.

The bottom line: A reasonable introduction to decision making & psychology applied to web design, especially for people new to the area, but more experienced individuals should look elsewhere.
on March 14, 2014
I checked out this book at my local library as part of my person curriculum on branding, marketing, etc. While I do not think reading this book was a waste of time, I certainly would have been upset if I had, on top of the opportunity cost, spend cash on the book. The information presented is very superficial and is applied to web design only in bits an pieces. There is no organized and thorough look at successful web design from the point of view of neuroscience.

I expected this book to be a helpful guide in building an appealing website that helps customers best engage with the content I want to present. As such, I thought the book would deal with topics such as maximum/minimum site numbers,how the sites should be structured and in what order they should be presented, etc. Instead the book gives information that is mostly intuitive and obvious, or known if you read any intro books on social psychology, etc. Nothing new, nothing spectacular. As mentioned, I didn't regret the time spent reading because it was short and I was able to solidify and recall already established knowledge.

Conclusion:
This book merely skims the surface of neuro-marketing and is not helpful in terms of applying useful concepts to web design. I do not recommend buying this book either as a beginner's guide nor as an in-depth textbook. There are better books out there.
on November 26, 2013
An amazing book with tangible and very useful informations about how to develop an irresistible website. The book is full of experiments what makes this whole subject even more interesting. I can truly recommend for every online marketing expert and webdeveloper.
on October 13, 2013
I found this book to be an excellent and informative read. I thoroughly enjoyed the structure and the fact that the author wrote this topic so well to keep my interest.