on June 20, 2007
I asked for and received this item for my 39th birthday, and I can assure you that it works wonderfully. I have very little sun damage, but the little that I do have is gone. Mostly, I battle with dull, rough skin and acne, and both of those are almost completely gone as well. The cream is gentle enough to not irritate my skin, but is definitely strong enough to get real, noticeable results. I am a registered nurse, and my coworkers and patients are always complimenting me on my skin. Believe me, before I got this product I never got compliments on my skin.

I follow the instructions exactly, and the system works great. Your skin will feel so soft and smooth right after using the system that you may be tempted to not use any moisturizer or lotion afterwards, but make sure you do. If you don't, over time your skin may get irritated and patchy, which is certainly counter productive. It takes me no more than about five (or ten minutes if I'm doing an "intensive" session) to do my entire face, neck, and collar bone area.

To adequately rinse off the crystals, you really need to splash your face thoroughly. I hate doing this over the sink because I get water everywhere, so I use the system first, then jump in the shower and rinse my face while I wash my hair.
on February 15, 2006
I did a lot of research before I purchased this item, and after reading that it "fades red marks" for the hundredth time - I finally bought it. I have a lot of red marks left over from my acne days and I had hoped they would fade even a little.

I have been using this for 3 weeks now, and the red marks haven't changed a bit. I'm very dissapointed at this.

However, it does make my skin feel baby soft and smooth after each use. So even though it hasn'f fade my red marks, I will continue to use it for smooth skin.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2006
I have now been using this product for almost 2 years, and still love it! If I don't use it at least twice a week, I definitely see a difference in my skn. I get blackheads again on my nose if I don't use the product. My only complaint is that Neutrogena repackaged the refills in tubes with only one replacement head in the refill package - it used to be you could buy 2 sponge heads seperately, and one jar of the "Facial Resurfacing Cream," but now you have to buy one sponge head together with one smallish tube of cream. At least you can find them everywhere - online at Amazon, or at Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Also, I just got an email from Drugstore.com that there will be a new product from Neutrogena, called "Neutrogena Healthy Skin Rejuvenator, The Anti Aging Power Treatment." It looks the same as the original MicrodDermabrision unit, but the Sponge heads (described as "puffs") are pre-filled. Here is what in part it said:

"Breakthrough, pre-dosed puffs deliver the perfect degree of gentle exfoliation with ultra-fine crystals and mild purifiers."

It is available Oct. 10 for a list of $[...], less online.

Again, I love using this product and still give it 5 plus stars. Below is my original post from 2006:

I just purchased the Neutrogena Advanced Solutions At Home MicroDermabrasion System for my 50th birthday, and I have to say, I am very impressed! It has done wonders for the large pores on my nose, and the blackheads there have gone away! People have always thought I look young for my age, but my skin is already feeling much softer to the touch (I have used it about 4 times so far). I absolutely love it! I would have gladly paid twice as much for this wonderful little product! I was hesitant to buy it at first, since I have sensitive skin, and the instructions say to use it every night the first 5 days or so, but I have used it every other night to sort of "break my face in" to it. And the paste that comes with it is great, just the right texture, and easy to wash off afterwards. Although it says after the first week to just use it a couple times a week. I plan to definitely use it as part of my regular beauty routine! I highly recommend this product.
on March 15, 2007
i've never used an at-home microdermabrasion kit before so i can't really compare it to others (yet), but after my first try 2 weeks ago i LOVED it. my face felt baby soft like never before. i couldn't stop touching my face for 2 days and was shocked everytime by how great it felt. BUT after the 2nd day of using it (i did it 5 days in a row because i don't have sensitive skin), it didn't feel as great (but i didn't break out or anything). i finished up the 5 days and while my skin did feel softer than it did before i started this, it wasn't silky smooth as it had been after my very first use. i did notice my blackheads VISIBLY reduced--even the tough ones on my chin. the first time i used it, i just rinsed my face and went to sleep. i didn't use any lotion because i have oily skin and the residue from the microdermabrasion cream left my face not dry. the second day, i used my blemish extractor from sephora and the blackheads came out very well and cleansed with murad's pomegranate face wash/toner. fyi - if anyone has that extractor, i find that the "whitehead" loop works better at extracting blackheads than the flat blackhead loop (which scrapes and irritates my skin). anyway, it's been 2 weeks and i've been lazy to try it again and my skin is back to square one. i'm not sure if i'll start over with the 5 days in a row thing again or just do it 2 or 3 times a week for "maintenance." i'm thinking (if i have time) of doing microD, extract, then a clay mask or peel. sorry to write a novel, but on a last note i just want to say that even if the effects aren't long term, it sure felt great to have the skin of a teenager again (if only for 2 days)! if anything, it's the best exfoliator i've ever used... even better than aspirin mask, IMO. i would definitely buy this product again, but i think i'll try other brands first and see which one is best. as a first time, though, this was a great experience.
on April 26, 2005
Believe the hype. This works! My skin is glowing. I have not

found any product that showed such an improvement in such an

obvious way. I love it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I did not want to go to a salon to have softer, shinier, healthier skin, so I read the reviews and decided to go for it. I am glad I did buy this product. I used it for 5 nights in a row when I first got it and focused on the brown line around my upper lip, because that was my biggest pet peeve from sun damage. I am happy to say, the line is almost completely gone and I am now going to go 3 nights a week. The product included a pleasant-smelling lotion for use with the machine. It was just abrasive enough to do the trick. I feel I will look for more of that lotion to continue using with the machine, because it really did agree with my face!

I have to say, I often buy from or just go to Amazon to look up a product I am contemplating buying because I rely on the customer comments as part of my decision-making. The customer reviews are often "right on". In this case, the majority of the comments were very helpful. I had to post my comment because this product really does help the overall look of my face. I feel younger and it is a great solution to spending alot in a salon. Yes, the salon is a treat now and then, but this is a wonderful at-home device.
on July 12, 2009
I've been bothered by dry patches on my forehead and cheeks, along with some redness. So when I heard about this little gizmo, it seemed like a good solution. I think I paid about $35.00 locally for it. Anyway, it's well designed and has a good, substantial, quality feel. Even the batteries are included. It operates in a very interesting way. It doesn't have a rotating head like you'd expect. It vibrates rapidly. Has 2 speeds.

I followed the directions exactly. Have used it 2 times so far. The parts of my face where there are no dry patches are quite smooth. The dry patches are still there, but are somewhate diminished. I figure it's going to take more than 2 uses to get rid of them. The redness has diminished as well. An unexpected bonus, although it might be due to using a new moisturizer after using the appliance. I'm going to use the device every other day for about 10 days and then switch to three timess per week. The directions say 3x per week, but I think I need extra help!

The appliance is very easy to use. Just be careful and don't apply too much pressure. I spent extra time (2 minutes) on the dry patches and one minute everywhere else. When wet according to directions, the pad makes a creamy foam that lubricates the dermabrasion process.

Rinse your face thoroughly afterward (I showered). I actually washed my face using the Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar to make sure I got all the foam and debris off. I followed with Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. Very soothing. Give the lotion a minute or two to absorb and you're ready to apply makeup. I wear loose powder mineral makeup (Bare Escentuals) and it went on with no problem. I bought the Cetaphil products especially for use with the appliance. I researched Cetaphil on the internet and found out that it's highly regarded and excellent for sensitive skin.

This little thing works as advertised! Highly recommended and easy to integrate into anyone's skin care routine.
on December 23, 2007
I got a microdermabrasion done at a clinic and then bought this product to maintain the results at home. I was very happy with the ease of use and near professional outcome. If you follow the instructions, you WILL see a difference.

My only complaint is that you can no longer get the soft foam replacement heads (except along with the cream - which I don't need right now).

One caveat: do please be careful with the cream - it seems to like getting into the eyes and that can be a yucky feeling, and downright dangerous if you don't manage to flush out all the particles.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this product as an impulse buy. I don't have fine lines or large pores. Using this product, I didn't see a difference in my skin. I was trying to soften the sides of my nose. It's a breathing ground for black heads.

I bought this product because I saw the Youthful Essence Informerial on TV. I wanted the product badly and instead of ordering Youthful Essence, the stores had Neutrogena . The paste has the same main ingredient, aluminum oxide crystals.

The paste used is gritty as it's suppose to be but I didn't feel like it was doing anything. When it was time to wash it off, I had to rub it off, not rinse it off.

Pros:
1. It's battery powered, so you can take it wherever you like.
2. The amount of paste is good.
3. If you don't like the paste Neutrogena offers, you can either make your own or buy another brand.
You can probably use a facial paste that you use in the shower with microbeads and use it with the scrubber. That could be a cheaper solution.
4. The scrubber has a stand.
5. Comes with two sponge heads.

Cons:
1. It's battery powered, so you'll have to replace the batteries.
2. The paste is icky.
3. You cannot use it in the shower or submerge it in water.
4. The sponges are not that easy to clean but it's not that hard either.

I haven't used Youthful Essence but Neutrogena and Youthful Essence seem like the same product.

To compare them both:

PRICE: Youtful Essence
Neutrogena comes with a tool, 2 sponges, and paste for $40.
Youthful Essence comes with a tool, 2 sponges, the paste, and some extra bonuses (like a facial brush attachment and a body scrubber) for $40.

TOOL: Youthful Essence
Neutrogena's tool is not waterproof. Kit only comes with 2 sponges.
Youthful Essence's tool is waterproof now. I believe it wasn't before. The Youthful Essence's tool comes with more attachments like the body scubber. I believe Neutrogena has a separate tool for the body so you'll have to spend more money.
Both are battery-powered.

REFILLS: Neutrogena
Neutrogen's paste refill and two sponges, that's about $25.
The Youthful Essence's website it says a 60-day supply (I don't know what that means probably one jar) and 2 sponges for $40.

If the pastes are exactly the same, I couldn't find the ingredients to Neutrogena's paste on their website.
So if the pastes are exactly the same, I would say buy the Youthful Essence kit and buy the Neutrogena refills.
on February 25, 2009
I have been using the product for years and LOVE it. For those of you who think you can't get a refill on the sponge and cream, Wal Mart has a kit for around $17, by Neutrogena, with a sponge and tube of the refill cream. Just for your information.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...