4.0 out of 5 stars It cleans, it's fun, but do you really need one?
Published on June 20, 2011 by Myra

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the original
Published on March 9, 2011 by Chelsea

4.0 out of 5 stars It cleans, it's fun, but do you really need one?, June 20, 2011
Myra "Ignolopi" (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Neutrogena Wave Sonic Power Cleanser with 14 Foaming Pads (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been taking care of my face diligently for the past few years and have gone through several types of cleansers. This was my first time trying any kind of electrical solution, and while all-in-all I prefer plain ol' cleanser and water, I found the Sonic Cleanser fun to use. (By the way, 'sonic' has nothing to do with sound as far as I can tell, it's more of a catch-word. The device just spins, at 2 speeds.)

Pros:

Feels nice, like a mini massage.
Easy to use: stick on the pad, run under the water, start it spinning, move over the face. When finished, remove the pad and throw it away, rinse the face.
Waterproof, you can stick the whole thing under running water and not worry about it.
The price of the main part is pretty good.

Cons:

14 pads won't last you long, you will definitely need replacement pads. It looks like basic replacement pads are 30 for about $5. That's not too bad, just a bit more expensive per use compared with face cleanser + a towel (+ cotton rounds + witch hazel). You may want to wash your face twice a day, but I recommend using this just once a day. (This point isn't so much of a con as something you will want to consider.)
The pads have a lot of soap on them, way more than the face needs, and it feels like a waste. I use the rest up on my hands.
Even on the lower setting, it's rough on sores, and scrapes off the healing skin.
The pads catch on my hair, the hair then gets caught in the spinning part.
The instructions could be better, i.e. they don't tell you how often to use it, how hard to press, or how fast to move it across your face to get the best results.

To cover some other issues I've seen in other reviews: Yes, it cleans my face. No, it doesn't leave pieces of pad behind. If I turn the device on and shake it off before using it (after rinsing) it doesn't drip down my face. After rinsing and applying moisturizer (Gold Bond Ultimate lotion) my face did not feel dry. The scent was not strong for me. I had no problems cleaning all areas of my face and neck.

I have tried just 1 other type of cleaning pad and I found this option more practical. I don't wear makeup typically so I can't say anything about how this works with removal.

Overall, I like using the Sonic Power Cleanser occasionally, but it's not something I really need or will invest much in. The cost of the replacement pads will add up, and it's just one more thing to store in my bathroom. You have to ask yourself, do I really need this?

The ease-of-use and relatively inexpensive price (of the initial package) make it a fun thing to try out and a good gift idea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Skin, October 17, 2011
Since I prefer using more natural ingredients on my skin, I used a cotton disposable make-up pad, instead of the supplied product. It easily stuck to the Wave. I put a little citrus facial scrub on the pad and wet it. After using the Wave, my skin was very soft and looked great. I can't use a scrub that contains particles with the Clarisonic. With a little improvisation, my Wave worked great, for a terrific deep cleaning and a fraction of the Clarisonic's cost. I can use the Clarisonic for regular cleaning and the Wave every few days, for deep cleaning. Of course, it's also practical to use the Wave, again with a plain cotton pad, and use a gentle cleanser of one's choice for regular cleaning.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the original, March 9, 2011
My first wave was the original which I loved because it made my skin feel so clean and fresh when I used it with the blemish pads. My wave broke and I went out and bought this one to try it. I was very disappointed. This one cost me even more than the original...even with a coupon. In my opinion, the spinning plate didn't have much power in it. It didn't give my face that fresh feeling. It cleaned my face well, but I may as well just use a scrub. Nothing special for my face. Unfortunately I will be returning it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrubs you clean, March 29, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a guy, so don't use makeup. I do workout a lot and have problems with clogged facial pores. Usually I use one of those manual scrubbing pads, but these can scratch the heck out of your face. This thing works great. Guys - think of it as a random orbital scrubber for your face. Stick on the pad and add some water. It's foams up as it scrubs and you'll have to add water a couple of times during use. It will scrub through several days of beard growth, and amazingly does not tangle up in hair. If you don't use in the shower, you'll have to use a wet towel to clean off any excess soap. In the shower this is obviously not a problem.

The pad end has a Velcro type hook surface (to keep the random orbital analogy, it's like a mini-sander you attach scrubbing pads to.) The pads have the opposite Velcro style loops.

The Wave Sonic also includes batteries, as well as the 2 week supply of scrubbing pads. The battery door is sealed and water resistant. I'd trust it in the shower, but not submerging in the tub. It also does a great job cleaning up stubborn dirt, stains, etc. from your arms and legs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice exfoliation, May 7, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to admit that I was a little skeptical of this product at first glance. You put a cotton pad, containing a cleansing foam that's activated by water, onto the spinning head which rotates at either a slow or fast speed. I found the slow speed didn't seem to do much exfoliating, so I preferred the faster speed. After the first use my skin was noticeably smoother and fresher than after washing with my regular cleanser. This definitely seems to provide a deep clean.

The only drawbacks were that it doesn't, of course, clean or remove makeup from the eye area, so you'll need to take care of that separately. Not a big deal, but it might bother some who like to get all their cleaning/ makeup removal done at once. The other concern is that water gets into the area between the rotating head and the rest of the gadget-- again, not a big deal, but it does need to be laid out to dry.

Overall I really liked this product. It cleaned deeply but was gentle and never irritated my skin, even at the high setting. It was fun to use and felt like getting a facial massage.

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked it, September 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I liked the feeling of the spinning pad. It gave me that clean feel but I think it could have been better. Maybe some sort of exfoliating pad. The pads were fine but I just didn't feel that deep clean. Also i would like to be able to wash my face & my eyes ate the same time but this can go nowhere near your eyes. Good idea but needs more I think.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought., January 9, 2013
Doesnt really clear up face or anything like that. Constantly having to change foam pad since I have really bad acne. A scrub would probably clean your face better than this product. This product is only good for massaging your face and thats about it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware your hair! but otherwise nice cleanser, April 6, 2012
LMS (In the midwest) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is the next model of the neutrogena wave spinning cleanser. This came with batteries and was pretty easy to set up. There are 2 speeds to choose from depending on how "deep" a cleaning you desire. Personally, I couldn't really tell a difference between them. This does not pulse like the original wave.

This cleanser came with 14 deep cleaning pads. These pads are saturated with soap, you hold this under the water and then start cleaning. It is water proof so you can use this in the shower. There are 2 different types of cleaning pads you can get, deep cleaning and gentle exfoliating. The soap on the deep cleaner is a bit drying and I usually prefer a gentler cleanser. I have found that if you rinse out the pads after a use, you can keep reusing them with your favorite cleanser. You can get quite a few uses out of each pad which is a nice way to save some money. My face does feel quite a bit smoother after I use this. I only use this every couple of days and my skin does feel quite a bit smoother and cleaner. The refills for the microdermablasion also fit this cleanser.

My only real problem with this is that you have to be very careful about your hair. I had a few loose strands that slipped onto my forehead and this thing yanked them out. Other than that, this does a relatively good job of cleaning my face.

2.0 out of 5 stars am I too old for this, maybe?, March 21, 2012
BostonJen "jensch" (Colorado Springs, USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm 37 and have fair, sensitive skin. I sunburn if the lightbulb is too bright (not really, but you get my point) and I have always had an issue with acne. My general method for washing my face is using pre-treated washcloth-like disposable wipes that foam up when you wet them. This occasionally dries out my face (depends on season, time of month, etc) but as long as I follow with a moisturizer everything stays in balance. The first time I used the wave my face because very red, and I thought maybe a) my face must be getting cleaner than usual and this is an amazing product and b) what if this is too harsh for my skin? I used the wave regularly for a few more days and my face seemed to get even more irritated. If after several days of irritation my face had begun to glow and heal and all was right with the world, that would have been fine--but it just continued to hurt, and not because my skin was dry. It felt a bit too much like sandpaper for my taste, and I started to imagine I was basically sanding my face.
Perhaps this is better for younger skin? I don't want to knock the product just because it didn't work for me. Everyone's skin is different and this might be a great product for you--In all honesty, I was happy returning to my cleansing towelettes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little device!, March 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This product is great, and it's not even that expensive. Once you have the little massager (batteries and 14 gentle foaming pads included), all you need to buy in the future are more pads. I just looked them up, and at the moment, you can get 30 for $6. Not bad!

The massager is easy to use. The cleansing pads velcro onto the device, you push the power button, and you gently massage your face. I love that it's waterproof, so I can use it in the shower in the morning. The massage action, while subtle, feels so good! My skin felt squeaky clean and tingly (in a good way) when I rinsed and dried off my face. I was looking at other reviews and some said that they did not think it made their face cleaner, but mine really did feel better after using it.

I would highly recommend it. It's a nice mini-face massage for a relatively inexpensive price. 5 stars!

Neutrogena Wave Sonic Power Cleanser with 14 Foaming Pads