Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Size: Neutrogena Wave Sonic Power CleanserChange

VINE VOICEon June 20, 2011
Size: Neutrogena Wave Sonic Power CleanserVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been taking care of my face diligently for the past few years and have gone through several types of cleansers. This was my first time trying any kind of electrical solution, and while all-in-all I prefer plain ol' cleanser and water, I found the Sonic Cleanser fun to use. (By the way, 'sonic' has nothing to do with sound as far as I can tell, it's more of a catch-word. The device just spins, at 2 speeds.)

Pros:

Feels nice, like a mini massage.
Easy to use: stick on the pad, run under the water, start it spinning, move over the face. When finished, remove the pad and throw it away, rinse the face.
Waterproof, you can stick the whole thing under running water and not worry about it.
The price of the main part is pretty good.

Cons:

14 pads won't last you long, you will definitely need replacement pads. It looks like basic replacement pads are 30 for about $5. That's not too bad, just a bit more expensive per use compared with face cleanser + a towel (+ cotton rounds + witch hazel). You may want to wash your face twice a day, but I recommend using this just once a day. (This point isn't so much of a con as something you will want to consider.)
The pads have a lot of soap on them, way more than the face needs, and it feels like a waste. I use the rest up on my hands.
Even on the lower setting, it's rough on sores, and scrapes off the healing skin.
The pads catch on my hair, the hair then gets caught in the spinning part.
The instructions could be better, i.e. they don't tell you how often to use it, how hard to press, or how fast to move it across your face to get the best results.

To cover some other issues I've seen in other reviews: Yes, it cleans my face. No, it doesn't leave pieces of pad behind. If I turn the device on and shake it off before using it (after rinsing) it doesn't drip down my face. After rinsing and applying moisturizer (Gold Bond Ultimate lotion) my face did not feel dry. The scent was not strong for me. I had no problems cleaning all areas of my face and neck.

I have tried just 1 other type of cleaning pad and I found this option more practical. I don't wear makeup typically so I can't say anything about how this works with removal.

Overall, I like using the Sonic Power Cleanser occasionally, but it's not something I really need or will invest much in. The cost of the replacement pads will add up, and it's just one more thing to store in my bathroom. You have to ask yourself, do I really need this?

The ease-of-use and relatively inexpensive price (of the initial package) make it a fun thing to try out and a good gift idea.
22 comments79 of 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I'm a guy, so don't use makeup. I do workout a lot and have problems with clogged facial pores. Usually I use one of those manual scrubbing pads, but these can scratch the heck out of your face. This thing works great. Guys - think of it as a random orbital scrubber for your face. Stick on the pad and add some water. It's foams up as it scrubs and you'll have to add water a couple of times during use. It will scrub through several days of beard growth, and amazingly does not tangle up in hair. If you don't use in the shower, you'll have to use a wet towel to clean off any excess soap. In the shower this is obviously not a problem.

The pad end has a Velcro type hook surface (to keep the random orbital analogy, it's like a mini-sander you attach scrubbing pads to.) The pads have the opposite Velcro style loops.

The Wave Sonic also includes batteries, as well as the 2 week supply of scrubbing pads. The battery door is sealed and water resistant. I'd trust it in the shower, but not submerging in the tub. It also does a great job cleaning up stubborn dirt, stains, etc. from your arms and legs.
on June 21, 2011
Well, I am so very glad I did not fall for all those ads for Clarisonic or even Olay. This is the best little device I have ever used to clean my skin. I am a Chemist and I formulate all of my own personal cosmeceuticals; and, I use max percentages of very expensive high end actives with strong carriers. The delivery of these serums and creams to my skin after using this little gadget is amazing.

I love this little gadget. I have been using the Neutrogena Wave and the various pads (cleansing and exfoliating) for a good 3 years, but the Wave never left my skin feeling like the Wave Sonic. I mean I can only describe it as felling "minty fresh." And I never use anything with a scent or fragrance. This is just the Neutrogena Wave Sonic and the cleansing pad or gentle exfoliating pad. I am sold and I am a difficult person to imress pr won ver when it comes to skin care and products that really work. To get my endorsement, the product must prove it's effectiveness. The Neutrogena Wave Sonic has won my vote.

I am so glad I did not get soaked for 200+, 100+, 60+, or even 30+ bucks since this lttle device does the job. Also, I loe the small platform. It can be used at home and easily packed for travel. I do not have to invest in a standard size and then a travel size...etc. I lve this so much that I sent 3 to relatives and friends who seem [leased with it's [erformance as well.

BTW-One really nice additional feature: The wave sonic is far more effective (e.g., the rotating action) than the AL& Clear Morning Burst Surge Machine; but, the Clean & CLear Morning Burst Surge pads fit the Wave Sonic perfectly so I can get that citrus burst and better delivery with my Neutrogena Wave Sonic.
0Comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2011
Since I prefer using more natural ingredients on my skin, I used a cotton disposable make-up pad, instead of the supplied product. It easily stuck to the Wave. I put a little citrus facial scrub on the pad and wet it. After using the Wave, my skin was very soft and looked great. I can't use a scrub that contains particles with the Clarisonic. With a little improvisation, my Wave worked great, for a terrific deep cleaning and a fraction of the Clarisonic's cost. I can use the Clarisonic for regular cleaning and the Wave every few days, for deep cleaning. Of course, it's also practical to use the Wave, again with a plain cotton pad, and use a gentle cleanser of one's choice for regular cleaning.
11 comment15 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2011
My first wave was the original which I loved because it made my skin feel so clean and fresh when I used it with the blemish pads. My wave broke and I went out and bought this one to try it. I was very disappointed. This one cost me even more than the original...even with a coupon. In my opinion, the spinning plate didn't have much power in it. It didn't give my face that fresh feeling. It cleaned my face well, but I may as well just use a scrub. Nothing special for my face. Unfortunately I will be returning it.
11 comment19 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2011
I just received my Wave Sonic and decided to test it out immediately. I was expecting a normal clean feeling, having used pretty much all cleansers out on the market, but was extremely shocked to find that the Wave Sonic really means "invigorating". I've never felt such a clean feeling in my life. I'm so happy I bought this product! My face feels 10x softer than before using Wave Sonic, even after only one simple use! I truly recommend this to anyone! :)
VINE VOICEon March 21, 2012
I'm 37 and have fair, sensitive skin. I sunburn if the lightbulb is too bright (not really, but you get my point) and I have always had an issue with acne. My general method for washing my face is using pre-treated washcloth-like disposable wipes that foam up when you wet them. This occasionally dries out my face (depends on season, time of month, etc) but as long as I follow with a moisturizer everything stays in balance. The first time I used the wave my face because very red, and I thought maybe a) my face must be getting cleaner than usual and this is an amazing product and b) what if this is too harsh for my skin? I used the wave regularly for a few more days and my face seemed to get even more irritated. If after several days of irritation my face had begun to glow and heal and all was right with the world, that would have been fine--but it just continued to hurt, and not because my skin was dry. It felt a bit too much like sandpaper for my taste, and I started to imagine I was basically sanding my face.
Perhaps this is better for younger skin? I don't want to knock the product just because it didn't work for me. Everyone's skin is different and this might be a great product for you--In all honesty, I was happy returning to my cleansing towelettes.
VINE VOICEon May 7, 2011
I have to admit that I was a little skeptical of this product at first glance. You put a cotton pad, containing a cleansing foam that's activated by water, onto the spinning head which rotates at either a slow or fast speed. I found the slow speed didn't seem to do much exfoliating, so I preferred the faster speed. After the first use my skin was noticeably smoother and fresher than after washing with my regular cleanser. This definitely seems to provide a deep clean.

The only drawbacks were that it doesn't, of course, clean or remove makeup from the eye area, so you'll need to take care of that separately. Not a big deal, but it might bother some who like to get all their cleaning/ makeup removal done at once. The other concern is that water gets into the area between the rotating head and the rest of the gadget-- again, not a big deal, but it does need to be laid out to dry.

Overall I really liked this product. It cleaned deeply but was gentle and never irritated my skin, even at the high setting. It was fun to use and felt like getting a facial massage.
0Comment13 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 2, 2014
I've been using the wave sonic by Neutrogena for a year now. I use it about once a week. It cleans my skin better than anything else I have tried. I have scrubbed my skin but it just doesn't give the result the Wave Sonic does. I love the foaming pads, but make sure you keep your eyes closed. I like the way it feels on my skin and gives me a little glow. You really don't want this in your eyes. I also clean my neck with this and I'm always surprised how much dirtier my neck is than my face. It's one of those gadgets I really like :)
on December 16, 2014
I liked this cleansing machine. It is the first time that I tried this one as opposed to another one that is made by the same company. The other machine is a little easier to hold for me and is easier to get into all the small spots. The Wave Sonic is a little bit clumbsy.