5.0 out of 5 stars works wonders!
I have been a sufferer of dandruff ever since I was a child. When I was younger, my head would itch so bad, I would sometimes scratch to the point my scalp would bleed. As I got older, I learned to only wear light colored tops and buy light colored coats and jackets so that my flakes wouldn't be so overt.

One day I went to the doctor for a sinus infection and...
Published on December 17, 2003 by Shelley Gammon

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER.
Forget how well the stuff does or doesn't work...

The seller sold me two bottles of T/Gel that are EXPIRED.

Complete waste of time/money/and energy.

Do yourself a favor and just go to the drug store.
Published 14 months ago by xo_ibc

5.0 out of 5 stars works wonders!, December 17, 2003
This review is from: Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo, Extra Strength, 6 Ounce (Health and Beauty)

One day I went to the doctor for a sinus infection and while I was there I asked him what he recommended for my dandruff - thinking he would write a prescription for radioactive kryptonite or something expensive that would turn my hair green. The doctor said, "Neutrogena T-Gel." I asked, "Is that a prescription?" "No," he replied. I was stunned. I had used Head and Shoulders, Selson Blue and just about everything else on the market - how would this be different? The doctor was persistent and emphasized that T-Gel should work, so I gave it a shot.

This stuff has been a life-saver. It's not very glamorous looking - brown, weird smelling shampoo - but just a dollup the size of a nickel is all I need to lather up my entire head - and I have very thick, curly hair. The longer you let it sit on your scalp, the better - 3 minutes is ideal. Despite the unusual smell from the bottle, your hair just smells fresh and clean.

Unlike other shampoos, I have never had to take a "vacation" and use another shampoo to "liven up" my hair. T-Gel is pretty basic stuff - no perfumes or weird chemicals - the active ingredient, Coal Tar, is a byproduct from the coal processing industry and this gives it its dark color. I have used T-Gel for almost 15 years now and I never have flakes and I probably scratch my head 3 times a year. About 30% of my hair is now white and silver and I have not had a problem with the shampoo discoloring it.

Once in a while I will get free shampoo samples in the mail and use other shampoos, but just after 2 hair washings w/o T-Gel, my scalp will start itching again. It seems expensive when you see the price, but one bottle usually lasts me for 3-4 months since you only need a little dab.

When I used to color my hair, I used a conditioner for colored hair and it didn't seem to cancel out the effects of T-Gel... and after my hair is dry, I use yet another brand of mousse and a hair serum to style my hair - and still, no itching.

If you have dandruff and haven't tried T-Gel, just give it a try - in one week, you should be symptom free!

5.0 out of 5 stars T-Gel For African American Hair, February 11, 2009
This review is from the perspective of a black user. As a black person, I use T-Gel once a week. I would actually disagree with some of the comments by the most popular review here (by Shelley), but the basic sentiment is the same, i.e. this works wonders.

I have tried seemingly everything for my scalp, and it seems I've had a variety of problems over the years--dry scalp, dandruff, scaling, etc. I had even been told by a hair stylist that I had ezcema, but then it seemed she told most of her customers that. My last problem has been, from as best as I can tell from my research, scaling, buildup and dandruff. My scalp would itch to the point of making it difficult to sleep at night for just feeling the urge to scratch. I had clumps of flakes in my scalp, and I could often feel them rising to the surface. It was an irritating sensation that made it seem as if something was crawling in my scalp. Usually, I'd put my fingers where the sensation was and feel either flakes forming (not completely above the surface, but I could feel them) or already there (i.e. could scratch them right off my scalp). It seemed like something always came out of my fingernails, whether it was flakes or white gunk.

I've used Head & Shoulders, Selsun Blue, store Nizoral and prescription Nizoral (as well as other things I can't remember). I was using the new Selsun Blue (the greenish or blue see-through bottles with Aloe Vera/vitamins or whatever, 3% Salicylic Acid) before this and was having those problems mentioned above. T-Gel works better than all of those shampoos put together. I knew I had used T-Gel a long time ago but couldn't remember anything about how it worked except it smelled bad and dried my hair out (I also had different issues with my scalp back then). Still, I could see that everything in stores for dandruff/itch all had one of two or so active ingredients in them, which is partially why none of them would work for me. Neutrogena didn't have those ingredients, and I'd read so many people online say it worked for them. So I decided to try it again.

The first usage, I followed the instructions which say to apply twice, basically. I didn't find that only a small application would do, at least not the first application (and therefore, I wouldn't say one $10 bottle lasts months). I had read a review before buying that said T-Gel lathers a lot easier the second application in a row, and I found that to be true. The first application was not terribly lathery, and I squeezed T-Gel from the bottle into my palm multiple times so that I could work it into especially troubled spots (um, basically everywhere) good. It did smell bad, but honestly I didn't really care and still don't, if it's going to work. I didn't let it sit for 3 mins or anything like that, but I just rubbed it in as good as possible. Then I proceeded to use what I normally use in my hair--no other shampoos, just a moisturizer and a conditioner/moisturizer.

I did feel like the smell was following me around. I had my mother smell my hair and she said the only reason she noticed it was because I pointed it out. I kept trying to pinpoint what I smelled like, and I realized I just basically smelled like I had something medicated in my hair. If I remember correctly, Nizoral smelled similar to T-Gel, at least once my hair was done--not the smell in the shower.

Later that same night, I laid in bed and started feeling that sensation like something's crawling in my scalp. I did like always and placed my fingers where the sensations were and in some of those spots I did feel scaling and flakes or clumps, generally trying to come up but a couple times were already up. My scalp did feel so clean, though--I have not felt it this clean in years, probably. There was just no buildup. However, there was still itching, just not as much as usual. The flakes and itching were definitely cut down and the itching probably was more similar to what the average person goes through with their scalp.

The second time I used T-Gel, there were no flakes at all for that whole week, at least not from dandruff--probably more from dry scalp, i.e. T-Gel does make your hair/scalp drier. I hardly felt that crawling sensation at all and did not have any clumps/scaling, not even where I would feel the crawling sensation a little. The dry scalp is nowhere near that bad as far as the visibility of flakes. When I used T-Gel this second time, I did not apply it twice. I think this is the reason why I did not have that medicated smell that much like I did the first time. My hair also seemed less dry generally with just one application, basically like it used to look before I started using T-Gel. My scalp still felt amazingly clean that week, and the itching was down even more. Absolutely nothing comes up in my fingernails now. My scalp used to go crazy every time I wore a hat, and now I can wear hats without feeling like something's crawling all over my scalp.

Bottom line: I don't know why this works miracles, but it really does and does so pretty quickly. I'm not sure I'd recommend this for dry scalp issues, but I would for dandruff, buildup, eczema/dermatitis and those sorts of issues. If you've tried everything and none of it has worked, this is for you. You just need to make sure you have a good conditioner that moisturizes for use afterwards. It's also not as if I never get itches or any flakes whatsoever, but this has cut all that down dramatically.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on skin and scalp for dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis, February 29, 2012
Mike and Lisa in CA (San Francisco Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
Take this review with a grain of salt since it might not work for everyone:

My occasional dandruff has gradually worsened as I've aged and about 2 years ago the dermatologist also diagnosed me with seborrheic dermatitis ('SD') that affects both of my ears, under and around my eyes, nose, chest, etc. My ears have been the worst though as they itched constantly and eventually would crack and bleed so it then became an itching AND painful problem. It was pure torture. He prescribed a couple of different steroidal and then anti-fungal creams that I had to apply 2x a day and my ears still eventually dried out, itched, cracked and bled. If I'd forgotten to apply the cream one morning or one evening, I'd be sorry by the end of the day or by the next morning. I often wondered why there wasn't some kind of soap or cleanser that I could use in the shower for people like me with this common, stubborn skin condition. My doctor alone says he's treated thousands of patients with SD with the steroidal and anti-fungal creams, most of whom, like me, can't seem to find anything that works effectively for very long. But 99% of dermatologist recommend TGel to control dandruff, etc conditions on the scalp so...

Now, I'd used TGel during the past 8 or so years off and on to control my dandruff but didn't like using it simply because the odor made my hair smell like I was trying to ward off a swarm of mosquitoes. However, when the other products that smelled better weren't effective, I always went back to TGel to solve the problem. If I could just put up with the smell for 2 or 3 hours after using it, my itching, flaking, etc was immediately arrested - for days, even weeks at a time. (I've since found that rinsing it off well tends to remove most, but never all, of the odor).

Fast forward to about 2 months ago when I saw my dermatologist to renew my seborrheic dermatitis prescription and asked him exactly what SD was. He said that it's a fungus related to the same fungus that causes scalps to break out in dandruff. With that in mind, I figured I'd give TGel a try on the stubborn SD in my ears, on my face, etc. and realized THAT DAY that my SD problems could be solved in the shower. After one treatment the itching was gone. After 2 days / 2 treatments the rash was completely gone from all parts of my body. I'm not sure that Neutrogena would recommend it, but I was desperate to find something that effectively controlled my SD and this has been a life-changing discovery. After two days of applying it in the shower as I would to stop a dandruff outbreak, my ears stopped itching, the skin around my nose and under my eyes stopped scaling and is softer and younger feeling than it has been since I was a teenager (I'm 46). And that's not an exaggeration.

I saw my dermatologist again last month and mentioned my discovery. He inspected my ears and the other areas on my face and chest and was duly impressed with the results. He took notes on my experience and said that he'd bring it up to his peers in the dermatological society he's been a part of during his 30+ years at the Stanford Medical Institute. I asked him if TGel could damage my skin or if there was any reason to be concerned about using it for this application and he said absolutely not and just look at my results for the proof. Those pharmaceutical companies probably won't like it, but I no longer need to apply a prescription anti-fungal or steroidal creams 2x a day and this is something that I can use during my normal dandruff regimen - IN THE SHOWER!

Thank you, thank you, thank you Neutrogena! I can't say enough what a difference it's made in my life. I just hope it keeps working this well for the rest of it and that you find some value in my experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first opinion of the product is that ..., February 20, 2000
By A Customer
My first opinion of the product is that it could use a scent -- the smell was similar to tar, not something you want to wake up to. It took a second dose to really get a lather but overall it seems to help. My scalp seems to feel a lot better after using it. I'd recommend this to a friend who needed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ANSWER TO SEBORRHEIC DERMATITIS!, January 5, 2012
I've had itchy and scaly scalp (after extensive research online, I diagnosed myself with seborrheic dermatitis) for many years in high school until I decided to look up reviews for a drugstore good product that could end this awful condition!!!
Until then, I would scratch constantly and aggressively to the point where my scalp bled. NOT GOOD AT ALL FOR YOUR SCALP AND HAIR!

At first, I thought it had to do with my daily hair washings that might have dried out my scalp to the point of itchiness, but it wasn't the case at all (I limited my hair washing to every other day)!

Finally, I used Neutrogena's T-Gel and within a month, my scalp stopped itching!!! I would use it twice a week and make sure to leave the product on for at least 5 minutes to let the magic work!

I even felt my scalp and noticed that it became smoother and not scaly-feeling! I stopped scratching my scalp which saved me For many years, I would be embarrassed of scratching in public. However, I can now wear black again without having to constantly check my back for "snowflakes."

THANK YOU NEUTROGENA! :D
For those of you who were in the same boat, I hope y'all will experience the great outcome just like I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how to use, August 9, 2013
I have used this product for 15 years and its the only thing that fixes the issue for the people who say it doesn't work your using it wrong
1. Rinse hair
2. Lather T-gel in I mean work it in really good
3. Let it stay in for 2 mins
4 Rinse it out really good

The secret is to let it sit for a min or 2 trust me this is the only thing that will work I have tried everything else

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, September 22, 2014
I have very thick white hair and consequently sometimes my head itches due to perspiration. The Neutrogena T-Gel Therapeutic Shampoo helps and doesn't discolor my hair and it doesn't make it hard to handle. It has a really clean scent and suds very well. I have used it for years and honestly, I like it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great for me, July 13, 2013
My skin was dry and constantly itchy under my beard and I tried 4 different shampoos. This product worked within 2 days for me. The only negative I have to say is the smell of the shampoo. Let's just say it's unique. Luckily it goes away in a couple hours though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Regular strength just wasn't enough, November 10, 2013
Scott Ox. (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I've tried everything else, and this just does the trick. I'd experimented with the regular strength, and I could tell that it was working... but I still had flakes. During my yearly physical, I decided to ask my doctor what I should do. She was willing and able to prescribe something, but after I expressed my hesitancy she said "why don't you just try the extra strength version?" .... um... yeah, I should have thought of that.

As a side note, it has a few warnings regarding sunburn after usage. I've not noticed a difference, but I do combat it in two ways, 1: If I know I'll be outside, in the sun the next day for prolonged periods, I use another "regular" shampoo. 2: I try to make sure I have a hat available.

Pros:
-No flakes... doesn't get any more PRO than that.
-Low price, lasts a long time.

Cons:
-My scalp gets a little dry. Just have to make sure that I use a conditioner after.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for psoriasis, March 10, 2014
I have psoriasis on my scalp that acts up during the colder months and this stuff works. I used head and shoulders at first, but i guess my skin just got used to it. I've used it twice now and i'd say my scalp is 75-80% clear and it also helps with the itching. Flakes are gone but there are still patches that need to heal. I'm so happy this product works. Flakes are ugly and it's so uncomfortable. I will use this product until it stops working.

Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo, Extra Strength, 6 Ounce
$11.06
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.