5.0 out of 5 stars Dermatologist who runs loves this
Published on July 22, 2012 by SunscreenAl

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for sensitive skin
Please do not use this sunblock if your skin is even remotely sensitive. I purchased this because Neutrogena products typically work well on my somewhat sensitive skin. I put this on and within one hour had a horrible rash all over my face, neck, and chest. I have never experienced anything so awful. I stopped using it and (2 days later) the rash is still pretty bad.
Published on March 27, 2012 by foxyroxy

5.0 out of 5 stars Dermatologist who runs loves this, July 22, 2012
I'm a dermatologist who likes to run sprints as an exercise. I've tested a bunch of sunscreens because so many burn my eyes when I run. My eyes are quite forgiving with this sunscreen. That being said, I noticed a few other reviewers whose eyes have burned. In my opinion, they are probably just unlucky to be sensitive to this sunscreen. In short, some people will have eyes that burn and some won't. This applies for all sunscreens. You've got to find one that you tolerate. The same rationale applies for rashes or acne.

I recommend different sunscreens for different purposes. This one happens to be a little heavy for daily use but it does the job during exercise as well as any that I've tried. In case you're interested, I apply it ridiculously thick about 45 minutes before I go out. I look like a freak around the house but it gets absorbed by the time I step out the door. I recommend reapplying every two hours. For swimmers, reapply every 30 minutes if possible because "waterproof" laboratory testing is done in a bathtub. It's a lot different in the pool or the ocean.

On the technical side, "Helioplex" refers to photo-stabilization, which means that it resists breaking down when the sun hits it. Yes, you heard right--many sunscreens break down in sunlight!

One more word of advice not related to this sunscreen, so I can feel I'm honoring Hippocrates and his oath: Even the best sunscreens are not perfect in filtering or blocking ultraviolet light. So try to go out after 4 PM in the summer. Or, if you prefer, get out there at 6 AM and be back home by 9 AM. If you're a hiker, get a hat with wide rims from Sun Precautions or another company called Sunday Afternoons. They also sell shirts that block ultraviolet light and cool you off. I would post their websites but Amazon doesn't allow links on these reviews.

Last thing--- Like all dermatologists, I get a bunch of sunscreens for free from manufacturers. But I buy Neutrogena Sport Face with my own money for my workouts on the track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Application, Great Sun Protection, June 26, 2010
This review is from: Neutrogena Ultimate Sport SunSreen Spray, SPF 70 5 oz (Misc.)
The spray application of Neutrogena's popular Ultimate Sport Sunblock is an excellent addition to your sun protection arsenal.

First off, a few notes on usage. We use this on arms, legs, fronts and backs. It's ease of application assures we don't miss spots that rub on creams often do. We still like to actually rub it on to the skin though as it's easy for it to accumulate on the surface or on body hair, and rubbing it in after spraying assures an even application. Also, don't use this on the face or in poorly ventilated areas, you probably don't want to inhale all the organic compounds in this or any other sunscreen. Finally, this sunscreen has oxybenzone in it which can cause skin sensitivity in some folks. (There are other concerns about this class of organics for sunscreen use, but they are generally significantly safer that sunburns and skin cancers.) So in the end, this product doesn't preclude cream based sunscreens, especially for the face, but application is a lot more complete and easier for the trunk and limbs.

Results with this sunscreen have been great for us. When applied evenly (and reapplied every two to three hours when in the sun) we have not gotten burned once. It has no unpleasant odors and isn't greasy once it has dried, which takes about two minutes in our dry climate. We buy it in bulk from amazon and save a lot over the drugstore prices. We always keep a can on hand for outside activities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective, but poorly packaged, December 17, 2011
Joseph M. Lindorfer (Rancho Palos Verdes, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This product works very well for me as a bike rider exposed to lots of sun. My complaint is with the packaging - I bet most people only get 3 out of the 4 available ounces - when the tube gets low I have to remove the cap and diligently fold up and squeeze to get the last ounce out. They should knock 25% off the price or repackage the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best So Far, April 27, 2010
I use it everyday. Why would you not want to protect your skin everyday(other than for concern over oxybenzone) and why wouldn't you want it to be oil-free and sweatproof? Don't you want it to stay on if you HAPPEN to go for a run, or to the gym, or until you take a shower, especially if it feels light?

Pros: High SPF(though supposedly the FDA is going to put a stop to any labeling over 30)
Stabilizing formula(Helioplex)
Not very fragrant
Dries fast
Not oily or shiny
Not white

Cons: pricey
oxybenzone

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Best Sport Sunscreen Out There . . ., June 26, 2010
. . .and we've tried them all. We live in the Southwest where it's always sunny and the 6000 foot altitude predisposes folks to getting fried if they aren't careful. We're outside all summer, hiking, playing tennis, golf or swimming in the heat of the day. Add these factors to my tendency to break out with certain sunscreens, and finding the right product has been a headache. We were willing to try out many sunscreens to find the right one and this is it.

Neutrogena Sport goes on thick and rubs in immediately (without the white film). It is not greasy, it's VERY water resistant and easy on sensitive skin (even on the face). It has a ridiculously high SPF and offers excellent sunburn protection. I checked out the "Environmental Working Group 2010 Sunscreen Guide" and this product was given an avoid recommendation. According to their site this is because it contains oxybenzone as one of the active compounds that absorbs the energy in the sunlight. Apparently these folks don't like this chemical even though it's by far the most popular active ingredient in most sunscreens and has a great sunlight wavelength absorption spectrum. They cite "Developmental/reproductive toxicity, Endocrine disruption, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Biochemical or cellular level changes" and a myriad of other reasons that they feel this product isn't safe. In the end, avoidance of all sunlight is really the only way to prevent solar skin damage, and potential toxicities of organic compounds used in sunscreens need to be weighed against the well established fact that skin cancers, especially melanoma, can be deadly. The main issue with oxybenzone is that it may cause photoallergy in some people. If you are one of those people with this sensitivity, this product may not be for you. In general though, if you're not sensitive to oxybenzone based sunscreens, I believe this product is a lot safer than a sunburn. (As an aside, I've tried one of the EWG Guide's 'BEST' sport sunscreens - "All Terrain TerraSport Performance" - and it stung my eyes like crazy, rendering it useless as a sport sunscreen.) In the future with microencapsualtion of sunscreen components and supramolecular sunscreens, some of these concerns may be further addressed, but for now, oxybenzone and similar organically based compounds simply are the best we have.

As far as results, I have played many tennis matches at noon on a hot day, and have not been burned once where this sunscreen was applied. Another benefit is that this won't drip off of your forehead and sting your eyes like some others we have found. As with any sunscreen, prolonged sun exposure requires you to reapply your sunscreen. We reapply every two to three hours when we're in the direct sun during midday (or at lunch on a ski day). If you don't, you will get burned, no matter how great the sunscreen or SPF Factor.

So in summary, nothing beats avoidance of the midday sun, a hat or skin coverage as ways to avoid skin sun damage. But if you're active outside, these mitigation strategies aren't always feasible. Besides old fashion zinc oxide, this is the best sunscreen we have found. Use it properly, reapply when needed, and you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, March 22, 2010
Michael Bigger (Cold Spring Harbor, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I kiteboard for hours at a time. I have been using the 70 Neutrogena for a year now and it works. I waste no time getting on the water since spraying is much faster than spreading a sunscreen. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, May 22, 2012
I have tried many different sunscreens. This sunscreen provides great protection for hours. It doesn't leave an oily residue. Neither does it leave a white film like many other sunscreens do. I will continue to use it for the days when I spend hours in the sun.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for sensitive skin, March 27, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars A good sunblock for those with bad skin, June 1, 2012
I ended up purchasing this for my niece out of fear that regular sunblock would clog her pores and I'm rather pleased with this. (I got this on the last day of her visit with us even though the previous sunblock showed no signs of messing with her skin.) This didn't have much of a scent that I could detect, which will probably be a selling point for some. I like a little scent with my sunscreen, but whatever scent this had ended up fading away rather quickly. The spray bottle makes it easy to apply, which was nice. I fell in love with spray bottles after using another sunblock product, so that this came in spray bottle form was a big factor for me.

As far as sunblock goes, it did its job for the most part. I was out in direct sun in very hot and humid weather, so I ended up applying it more than I might have otherwise done. I ended up with no sunburn, nor did any of my other family members. All of us applied this to our faces, with none of us having any new acne appear. (So if you're wondering if you could use this on your face in a pinch, you can.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stops Texas Sun (not oily), June 21, 2013
LD (EDINBURG, TEXAS, US) - See all my reviews
I have had 18 skin cancers removed just from my head and face. (total count is over 50) I still live and love the Texas Sun particularly down in our Rio Grande Valley where we own a pad in an RV resort.

I can use this in the pool and it is a quick and gentle rup in liquid that is not greasy, oily, and will not leave my face looking like my wifes night cream. It just disapears, is waterproof (I play water volley ball 4 days a week) I also play tennis 5 times a week and the effectivness will not sweat off.

It is fantastic for "Sport" as the name says but if you want a non-icky high protection this is for you.

Neutrogena Ultimate Sport SunSreen Spray, SPF 70 5 oz
$10.49 $10.25
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies